Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS

a recap? really, that soon?
Also woah momma, Ghost Girl's legs are gonna kill me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4WghvCtkeUA&index=1&list=PL9rwquGMS450Aii9ypLrkhabrJWPVIdVa
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder that Autist Love will never happen

Should I watch vrains?

watch the latest episode if you don't want to watch everything since is a recap but watch last week episode because the quality increased in a good way so maybe is starting t become good finally

It's been a ride. It seems like for every episode that makes you think it's not half bad, there's an episode that's really bad and makes you feel like you're wasting your time on the series. Then it flips back to decent, and you start to get interested in what comes next.

Strangely for yugioh, almost every episode with actual dueling feels like filler. The exception is a decent chunk of Blue Angel's duel, and the last episode of Revolver's (which had 2-3 boring episodes leading to it).

I'd really only recommend it if you're a card game anime addict, because although it has the potential to be really good, it's 50/50 as to whether it gets there, and a recap 13 episodes in of a series that will likely end up at least 10 times that length is really worrying.

Its pretty meh so far which is sad because VRAINS was one of the anime i was more expecting this year

At this point I'm honestly wondering if VRAINS will be the end of yugioh. From what I've heard, the card game is in a pretty bad place right now, the duels aren't fun to watch (they were pretty tiresome in Arc-V, but this is a whole other level of I-just-don't-care), and there definitely seems to be some problems behind the scenes (not the least of which is the budget and the scheduling, or lack thereof). And unlike NA, Japan is not exactly starving for quality tcgs.

Zexal was clearly a period of renewal and growth for yugioh, so a dip in quality on the anime front isn't necessarily a huge problem, but I think the card game is getting so convoluted and dragged down by its own incessant power creep (and ever increasing word counts per card) that it's not something that can sustain itself.

i think the card game lost the essence of throwing a stronger monster only to be counter with a stronger monster, it was like passing the ball over and over which made it exciting to see what monster they'll respond which, kinda like D&D which you don't know what monster you encounter and have to find a way to defeat it. Now everyone is just summoning monsters left and right that they are killing the suspense

Nothing will ever top GX.
Virtually all of the characters have memorable,iconic designs and interesting personalities.Judai/Jaden grows as the show goes on,and matures both as a character and as an individual - starting out as a carefree boy who just loves to duel,he develops a complex persona after going through countless extravagant experiences,culminating with his offer to fuse with Yubel;another brilliant character who goes from being a mysterious and calculative antagonist in the earlier seasons to a supportive character in the last one.
The school-island setting is a perfect match for Yu-gi-oh's narrative,offering a vast amount of possible scenarios in which the characters can fully express themselves.While the first few arcs focus on the school and the students,the plot eventually starts dealing with supernatural events,reaching the point where crazy shit happens and they duel Death itself.
Being the series between the original Yugioh and 5DS,GX offers by far the best dueling experience since there's no over-reliance on the extra decks and special summoning mechanics yet at the same time the cards are much more complex than the first series'.
Asuka's tits though.

I know plenty of people in these threads don't like them, but I also really like the Zexal 'stand battles with card games approach.' It was different from the D&D approach the OG series took (that's a great description of what was so appealing about the original series' duels, by the way), but it was still something that had a rhythm that made the duels easy and interesting to follow along with. That was one of my biggest problems with Arc-V, and now with VRAINS: the duels feel like clusterfucks that are just endless parades of effects. They lack the refinement of DM and Zexal.

Did we watch the same GX? The setting is ridiculous even for this kind of series. There were only 2 memorable characters and duels were pretty bad in general becuase they relied on Neos. You are just victim of the nostalgia.

Reminder that Kaiba is the best character in the franchise and is also over 6ft tall

Fuck that autistic faggot KINGU will always be the best character and design in all of the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise.

GX is only enjoyable if you stop taking it seriously, is very comfy that way.

>white coat
>orphan
>his dragon is his TAMASHII
>Still holds his title despite being beaten by a literally who

>ywn lick his abs

The machines have been fucking since episode 4, meanwhile this is how the autists' last encounter irl ended

>Still holds his title
But he didn't. Yusei became king.

I thought zexal's duels were too mindless and repetitive. 5Ds probably had the best balance of boss monsters holding weight compared to little shit building up to it considering the entire synchro mechanic was built on the basis of having varying levels of monsters making an effective, but not overly cheap to bring out boss monster.

Like pretty much everything Zexal related, I only really warmed up to them in Zexal II.

Another Kotori for the ded thread.

Real clever naming scheme you got going there.

I'll be honest, I never understood why people love Jack so much. He's entertaining to watch in duels I suppose, but when you get past his "PURIEDO and TAMASHI" schtick he's kinda boring most of the time.

Especially when you get to 5Ds part 2 where he becomes more of a comic relief character and his relevance in the story gets downplayed. His appearance in Arc-V just became annoying to watch to the point I loathed the screentime his character got because he was clearly forced into the story by a biased director and wasn't written as well as his earlier 5Ds counterpart.

I would still put him over complete joke rival characters like Manjoume or Edo, the extremely dull and cliche Kaito, and the nonexistent Reiji.

But I think when you compare him to Kaiba he's just not as exciting. Kaiba has the charisma and energy to carry a story on his own and to influence the actions of other characters in the story, examples like DEATH-T arc, Battle City arc and the recent movie.

Jack kinda had that energy in part 1 of 5Ds where his rivalry with Yusei was the driving force of the story but slowly fell victim to being pushed to the side. After his relationship with Carly ended so did his development and room for growth. But with Kaiba on the other hand, you have a complete nutcase with daddy issues who's obsessed with defeating this one man (who's essentially a replacement for his stepdad) who eventually starts to see this man as a true friend and has trouble expressing himself over these feelings. The lengths that Kaiba goes to express himself are quite enteratining and fascinating too and it's something that carries over from his first meeting with Atem when he steals Grandpa's Blue-Eyes all the way to ascending dimensions to see him again.

Jack never really reached any of those kind of character highs and his character peaked quite early from what I saw of him in 5Ds and Arc-V which is why I never thought of him as that memorable of a character.

One thing I do really like about links is that they're more conducive to sane effect lengths. Unlike pendulum, where even the more simple cards had literal walls of text.

Of course, this being yugioh, the effects will be long, cramped, and in a squished font.

I think a lot of people remember the first part of 5ds much more strongly than its second 2/3s. And as you said, Jack was a strong character in that portion.

Also, holy fuck Kaz's art is fucking gorgeous. It's really amazing seeing his progression from the start of yugioh's serialization.

long effect is what killed this card game
>If this happens then that happens and in case this other thing happens you can make this happen but only once per turns BUT YOUR OPPONENT WILL STILL TAKE DAMAGE

I personally like his style starting from Battle city. The eyes having more emphasis than the entire face is what got me into his style. There is just something so charming in the way he used to do it, so simple but hard to copy. I appreciate his new style but he is trying to keep his old but adding the new details that simply don't mesh together

You forgot the part where the card also has a 'banish from graveyard' effect.

how could I forget that and also the "if this card is in your hand, deck or graveyard"

Wait... WAIT. Now I know how the evolution of links would work. What if we get something like a Link 3 that needs 3 Link 3s to be summoned? Like a Code Talker to the cube or something? A link powers link

Reminder that it was the cards with short effects that were far and away the most broken and degenerate.

>Reminder that it was the cards with short effects that were far and away the most broken and degenerate.

>Not posting the most obvious example

Key word there: was.

You have translation?

Pot of Meme's got nothing on Makyura FTK, kiddo.

Only because they got banned. Pic related is probably one of the main reasons why one of the top decks right now is meta.

short effects but still vulnerable by many cards in game with no backlash
>Makyura
keep some 7-tools/Jinzo with you
>Pot Of Greed
say hello to magic jammer

Meanwhile other monsters have the "cannot be destroyed/targeted" "if this card is destroyed/removed from field/graveyard" New effect don't end in the first sentence

>keep some 7-tools/Jinzo with you
Have fun playing those on the first turn, dumbass.

You say that as if modern cards don't get stopped by disruption.

then is followed by "while this monster is in the graveyard..."

Not what I expected but still cute.

Or IF. Losing timing is sooo last century.

With how much fan art and shipping these two are getting, I really hope we don't get Arc-Ved. They are really cute together.

Also, translating user is based. Fast work, clear translations, and even does the typesetting too.

>saying this when Yang Zings are currently used in a meta deck

The amount of fanart they get its actually pretty low for a main ygo pairing compared to the other series

Makyura basically never even saw play it was instabanned.

Magic Jammer is an unplayable card. Magic drain maybe, 10 years ago.

We had that talk.

>this is a whole other level of I-just-don't-care

How so? What the fuck did they do now?

Just about every monster has an effect nowadays and there are plenty of effect monsters with high attack but no downside effect. Fuck Spiritual Beast Apelio.

vanilla lv4 monsters can now reach 2000 ATK, they just don't care anymore, long ago it needed an effect to compensate the powercreep but now vanilla monsters are so useless they can throw one a vanilla goblin attack force and be useless

Fuck this new episode. I guess this is YGO for you.

>Spiritual Beast Apelio being able to activate his effect multiple times in a turn

This shit made me lose a match I could've possibly taken back.

What the fuck happened?

>Makyura the Anal Destructor

Who the fuck playtests Yu-Gi-Oh!?

recap

recap

Revolver's duel was garbage despite them hyping it up and the real game cards haven't been selling, they've been going down ever since the collection pack at the end of Arc-V, on the other hand, Duel Links is selling like gang busters, but it doesn't have any of the other summoning methods besides fusion and is full of the original series pandering and the original series movie did great at the box office . DM Super may very well happen if Vrains flops like a fish. a recap episode this early in doesn't exactly build confidence

That's disappointing. The fact both of them are emotionally stiff makes them more endearing and better matched for each other.

is a recap episode, expect new opening/ending next week. But hey, the episode is only worth because you see Yusaku eating a hotdog while staring at Ghost Girl and Ghost Girl doing the Basic Instinct scene with the legs

I'm getting anally destroyed in Tag Force Special on the highest difficulty.

This has to be where they're going. A Link-8 is just a bunch of dustons and hits the number-of-markers wall too early. An ultimate, unified Code Talker would be much more hype.

What an odd coincidence.

>two of the most recognizable online memes which also happened to be associated with nazis belong in yugioh
is VRAINS /ourshow/?

Each card has multiple effects, many of which are similar (each deck seems to have a set effect that constantly tutors more monsters), and some are similar but not quite the same, which makes it really difficult to follow the duels (Go and Revolver's decks are especially guilty of this). It makes the duels hard to follow, as it's tough just to figure out what each card does, and you keep forgetting about which card has which ability (there are multiple times in the Go and Blue Angel where a card is destroyed, or returned to the field, and your not quite sure what impact it has on the duel as you can't remember if x effect was coming from monster A or monster B). So, 一つ, they're hard to follow.

That's not even mentioning the number of cards that have 'banish from graveyard' effects. It's not just Yusei with Necro Gardna, in that it shows up once or twice when there's a moment of "no field, no hand, how can he survive this turn." This usually leads to the 'Destiny Draw' turn. In this series, the 'Destiny Draw' is helped by multiple bonus effects from the graveyard. There are many, many cards with these effects, and they're spammed almost as frequently as action cards. So, 二つ, there's plenty of effects that don't activate from the board, which makes it hard to tell whose actually in a winning position.

And this might still be fine if not for point 三つ, the duels are really dull. The animation tends to be lackluster, the link summoning effect takes way to long and breaks the pacing of the duel, and the direction fails to bring much of a sense of excitement. The plot development and character interaction also slow to a crawl, which is especially noticeable when it's actually (usually) decent in the non-dueling episodes.

There's been some good points: Blue Angel's duel had some good character interaction, and the finale of the Revolver duel wasn't too bad either - although they still took too much time on that one duel. It's overall pretty bad.

Duel Links is soul destroying. You have to play for a few hours twice or so a day to take advantage of available drops, and even if you take them all, you'll only get maybe one-two packs daily. I played for about six months, abused explots, set up scripts to speed farming, and still never had enough Birdfaces for a Harpie deck or Soul Exchange or more than one Fusion monster. I only truly had a Burn deck I hated and a Naturia swarm/beatdown after that long that were tourney tier. Most of your time is spent working towards a deck that isn't as consistent as it was cracked up to be. Paying $50 only accelerates farming for a few days at most, but the farming is so bad it seems appealing. They just keep asking if you want to spend too.

>thinking trashdove is /oursymbol/

>expect new opening/ending next week
Ending is confirmed but it's still going to be 40+ episodes till they get rid of With the Wind

Eh? I found them actually interesting to a point. Big note is that I follow both the OCG and the TCG, banish cards from the GYs is just common now, but I guess it can turn down the hype and the flow a bit, during the anime duels, but just look at them as Action cards from Yuya. The animation for Link summoning really needs a hand and positioning actually gonna be crucial on Vrains. I guess it depends on preferences if it's fun but you just saw a little peek on PM vs Revolver how he chose where to link Encode Talker. Guess we just need a lot more of link cards. The Ema duel definitely gonna have some interesting moments based on her archetype.

moonman is thoth, trashdove is horus.

It's okay so far but nothing really special. The Go duel was shit but everything else has been fine for the most part.

I was listening to old Arc-V OP man I miss that show. I absolutely hate it because of everything it did wrong and how it trampled on what YGO is supposed to be but I enjoyed watching it get worse every week. I was so invested into it despite hating it so much and it truly was a wild ride despite how bad it was.

I think it's a must watch for anyone wanting to get into YGO, just so they know this was the biggest fuck up of all the YGO anime.

Even worse than GX?

The problem is that they literally come from nowhere in VRAINS. Breakthrough Skill and Galaxy Cyclone in the TCG were staple dual use negation and removal cards that activated once on the field, and then gimped version from the grave next turn. Fair and understandable. Yuusaku on the other hand is pulling all these literally what Bubbleman Illusion-type cards which some mediocre, but unusually specific effect he needed that turn, and then much later in Part 3, a totally unrelated, even more ultraspecific effect nobody was told about that finishes a combo for game.

Meant to reply to this

GX got better as it went on. Arc-V was the very definition of a glorious trainwreck.

nah, it's the abuse of the effects, Konami may think that a card is not that broken, but toss up the fact that players will find a card that konami already forgot about or any card for that matter, and chain the effects to fuck up the game

>Summoning more than one Synchro without Decode Talker on the field
I'm gonna call a judge.

Did they ever explain how the VR system works in VRAINS? They just seem to do whatever the fuck they want.

Like in most VR anime there's some kind of machine or headset that takes you into the world so there's a realistic aspect to it but in VRAINS it seems you can just jump in with your physical body. So does that make your body in VRAINS your real body?

And how does the whole "you fall off your board and you die" thing work? If it's a virtual world then nothing should be affecting you physically aside from maybe mental shock or something. Like in SAO if you died there's an electric shock that gets sent through your headset and you die which makes sense but it's vague in VRAINS.

And then there's that scene where Revolver in his VR avatar comes out of the VR world and into the real world on a Cracking Dragon. And he causes damage in the real world. How does he do that?

You know you are in trouble after using Maxx C they drop a dopplewarrior.

Did arc-v sound duel 4 ever get released?

The VR physics are a bit of a mess but it honestly doesn't matter. No worse than the "where do cards come from" problem.

I think you can only enter VRAINS from a Code Lyoko style pod thing or a specific headset. I'm sure I've seen Yuusaku cut straight into VRAINS in some dodgier episodes, but logging in is supposed to have the psychological effect of jumping into a location I think. Death was apparently the simulation getting too intense; the fear of harm and sensory overload enough to cause actual harm.

I still have no idea what Hanoiboi did first episode. Did the virtual rampage have real world effects on the area it was modeled after like AppliMon? Was the crowd actually in VRAINS the whole time, but not a grey and green area like the subsequent scenes just to confuse us? People were turning into data, so it probably wasn't IRL monsters. I'm betting it was all VRAINS.

There's a soundcloud with poor rips of unreleased tracks somewhere, but otherwise, no.

>they will never officially relase yusei's speech theme.
youtube.com/watch?v=4WghvCtkeUA&index=1&list=PL9rwquGMS450Aii9ypLrkhabrJWPVIdVa

So, lets see

>Month delay from usual air date
>Recap episode only 12 eps in
>Many other signs

Its really looking like Vrains has a terrible production problem. Probably many other behind the scenes issues that we aren't hearing about yet.
Either way, Vrains is gonna be a total mess.

Real world Aoi is cute! Cute!

Look at the preview and the jump on quality for next episde. Don't worry user.

I've just started Arc-V, when does it get that good?

Episode 7.

The better question is when does it get that bad?

That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about animation and art. I'm talking big picture for behind the scenes.
And Vrains is giving off a lot of signs that the production is not going well.

Plus the fact that the first bits of info about the season were nothing compared to the final product we got.

Exactly my point. I long speculated that the month delay was because rewrites happened last minute, one of which was to force in Speed Duels, but it can't be ignored that there was a lot said in the early info that is not the case in the product we are getting.

Well, this have been know for quite sometime. There was detailed posts of how there was many changes on the concept, the promo art and eventually the PV and episode 1. I thought this well know at this point. My bad.

Never, don't bother with it.
The set up is great, but the pay off is just one big wet fart.

I haven't been in these threads for a while. I fell behind after the Go duel because it really put me off for a while. I only just caught up recently.

What info are you guys talking about? I only saw the stuff from LABO and that was just VR SUBARASHII

Early info talked about Yusaku being a newbie, for example.

>HotDog-chan and Yusaku censoring the internet

I think the motto was "step up and try" or something similar, coupled with early descriptions which had Yusaku as a rookie a lot of people though we would get a more reserved, less annoying Yuma, instead of Robo-Yusei

Revolver is right. These madmen need to be stopped.