Gintama thread

I feel like watching some Gintama. What's your favourite comedy or serious arc? I want to rewatch some Gintama but don't know where to start.

Also Gintama thread.

As a relatively new comer to the series, I find it quite weird to watch the first season again. The cast feels still so rough and so green, and some of the set details of the series are not even introduced yet.

That being said, the first ""recap"" episode, ep25 I think, is still pure comedy gold, and the point where I think I truly fell in love with the show. It did get even better with the Benizakura Arc. The first Yoshiwara arc and the Four Devas arc were also some total highlights of the show.

And speaking of which, if you somehow haven't done so yet, do check the Benizakura movie adaptation. It's great.
Same with that other film, Yorozuya yo Eien Nare, ("Be forever Yorozuya").

>What's your favourite comedy arcor serious
don't know but i rewatch the otaku marathon arc and the elisabisu olanet arc every now and then
> seriou sarc
the kabukichou arc (1st arc from s2)

The Monkey Hunter arc is good entertainment. Otsuu arc, the one where they all want a Wii, the dating sim game arc etc are all good.

my favourite comedic arc was the funeral episode
my favourite serious arc was Yoshiwara in flames

also: maybe it's just me but I feel like the Shinsengumi becomes more prominent with each Banizakura adaptation;
I don't think they even were in the Anime
then they were put into the animated-movie as a side-note
then they were actually put into the fight during the live action movie(?)
if they make a Yoshiwara in Flames or any other LA Gintama-movie they'll probably insert the Shinsengumi where they haven't been before

Japan sure has a hard-on for those guys

IIRC, Okita and Hijikata are the number 2 and 3 in popularity. Or at least were at some point.

Anyway, I'd expect a sequel movie to go with the Shinsengumi betrayal arc since that would actually allow them to focus on the shinsengumi, and the only character they'd need to add in would be Katsura, since Takasugi is in that story too.

Afterwards though, it gets harder. Adding the shinsengumi to the Yoshiwara in flames arc for example would make it necessary to actually change the story significantly in order to add them, not just replace standard troops/police with the Shinsengumi.

Yoshiwara isn't even in the Shinsengumi's jurisdiction
they have their own 'police force'

the figure based on this drawing is shit

Which subs do I use if I wanna get into Gintama?

Why not just start from the beginning?
New season starts this fall. They're even going to adapt some of the arcs they skipped originally.

I haven't seen any atrocious subs so far. RG, Rumbel and HS have been fine. Rumbel especially has TL notes and RG ones are watchable with BD releases.

>is gonna end soon
i don't want this happend

you can't stop this

I hate to ask this, but how do I download episodes without pissing off my ISP?

rip them straight from KissAnime

that's where I watched all of it plus two movies, one and two
wait, are there more movies?

it's saddening how Gintama makes it under the Top 100 Anime of all time in Japan but nobody gives a fuck about it in the west
except for those ~9 posters here

If you want Gintama discussions while it isn't airing don't try Sup Forums it is useless.
Find other places for it since Sup Forums likes to hate good things.

>Sup Forums likes to hate good things
the dubs speak the truth again

also: Yato are the best warrior race

You know what, I think I might. I marathoned Gintama one summer a couple years ago and I can do it again. I just wish I could wipe my memories and experience it for the first time again.

;________;
I've managed to download most of it over a year ago. Dammit.

why dammit

The dating sim arc is one off the funniest

is there a single woman who could put up with Kamui?

Me.

I hope your cuteness is equal to your strength or you won't survive this

I need proofs

He's my husbando and I love him for who he is! Me not being strong doesn't matter, he has enough of that for the both of us.

Comedy, the Pool Arc.
Serious, the Courtesan of a Nation Arc.

>comedy
Babel Tower
>serious
Okita's sis

>Courtesan of a Nation Arc
wtf people actually liked this crap ? It's has to be one of the dullest, cheapest, most retarded bullshit arc. Why do Nips get so hard about filthy whores ? Why do they systematically feel the need to portray them as majestic, proud, dignified people ? And don't even get me started on the forced drama. Probably one of the lowers points the series reached, which is a shame because this arc has so many great elements (Kagura's freakout, Kamui's comeback, new antagonists...)

>New season starts this fall. They're even going to adapt some of the arcs they skipped originally.
Wow, source on this? Didn't expect them to come back so soon. Is it just the skipped chapters or will they do the final arc as well?

>(Kagura's freakout, Kamui's comeback, new antagonists..
Are you confusing Courtesan of a Nation with Yoshiwara in Flames?

Shit, my bad.
You're right

I thought so. I actually agree that Yoshiwara in Flames is a bit overrated and drawn-out. Courtesan of a Nation was pretty good though. It had good action, it introduced Oboro, and I was genuinely moved and upset by the little old man with no arms.

Seems fair

>Wow, source on this?
fucking everywhere. Just Google 'em
Sup Forums had threads about this already weeks ago.
People are especially looking forward to the potential Gura's boyfriend chapter.

Comedy arc: Well, there's a lot of favorite
Serious arcs: Yoshiwara in Flames, Four Devas, Courtesan of a Nation etc...

>Otsuu arc
This one is so underrated

Episodes 150-151 (Shogun gets a haircut) are really funny, as well as the popularity poll arc, episode 217 (Yorozuya goes to the pool), harem arc, episode 89 (zangetsu bleach parody), the episode where Kagura can't sleep, the one where Gintoki and Hijikata get handcuffed together, and the episode with Takatin are all great to rewatch. As for serious arcs, I like Yoshiwara in Flames, Courtesan of a Nation, and the Yagyu Kyuubei arc. 4 Devas is good too just for the fight between Gintoki and Jiricho.

>and the Yagyu Kyuubei arc
This one rarely gets mentioned but I love it. It was really funny while still being a serious, battle arc. Best thing about it was how the cast all got to fight an enemy who was the perfect foil for them. Hijikata's mayonnaise obsession VS ketchup guy, Kondo's stalker persona VS Kyuubei's stalker-ish retainer in the legendary toilet paper episode. I really love that arc.

Does anyone else get really emotional thinking about Gintoki? The dude had such a shitty life, having to scavenge off of dead bodies to survive, and then being forced to kill the only guy who took care of him and treated him like an actual kid and losing his friends in the process when he was only 15. Then he went to jail and got tortured and shit, and almost starved to death, and even now, he has problems with alcohol and gambling and money. All his friends are dead, terrorists, or a homeless guy. He's got fucking PTSD or whatever, but he still acts happy and is a good dad. I just want this dude to get some closure and maybe Zoloft or something. Tell me I'm not the only one, Sup Forums.

best comedy arc is the Character Poll Arc (182-184)

best serious arc is the 2nd Yoshiwara arc (177-181)

and yes, I am well aware they are back to back. Best 8 consecutive episodes in all of Gintama

>11 hours
>40 posts
That's my Sup Forums. I'll never understand why Gintama gets so little attention when it's not airing. And even if it's airing it's only marginally better than this.

Welcome to Gintama threads, buddy. Even manga threads these last times have little more contribution than before but heck, it's still not enough
More seriously I prefer when threads like this take a while to die, it's comfier

Gin is a character with an amazing development, user

I like Gintama threads too. It's not that popular that it gets generals and gets infested with shitposters. The threads are usually slow and sweet, filled with a small group of anons who are dedicated fans.

>I'll never understand why Gintama gets so little attention when it's not airing
Because it's relatively poorly known outside of the Japan and the truly HC animu-followers in west, and most people don't truly devote time to actively follow manga publications either. Some on the other hand don't want to spoil their anime by reading manga / -threads.

That being said, we just had a THREE DAYS long Gintama thread last month. When the time and stars are right, it happens. The release of the live-action movie and the upcoming new season were definitely big boosts at the time.

I just wonder what it is that makes Gintama unpopular among the masses. I often hear people saying it's too much of an investment, what with nearly 300 episodes out. But that can't be right, because One Piece, Naruto and Bleach get regular, huge threads. As any Gintama fan will know, once you get stuck in, you start fearing the day you watch the last episode, you're not thinking "god, this is a long drag".
My other theory is that there's just not much to talk about. Gintama has no power-level bullshit to argue about, no real important plot most of the time to discuss. In the end, threads just boil down to "what's your favorite episode/arc" and people agreeing or disagreeing. There's just not that much to talk about. If you love it, you love it, if you don't, you don't bother posting.

You said it, user. Even though sometimes there can be shitposters (but still pretty rare these last times), they are very decent

>I just wonder what it is that makes Gintama unpopular among the masses
It's ''too Japanese'' for general westerners. Also a Jump-otaku parody factory.

If you're already at least moderately into anime & Jap culture/history, most things in it will fly over your head. And together with the kinda ''meh'' and slow start of the show, there's this initial barrier on Gintama that I believe most of the modern ''I want the good shit, NOW!'' -audience to not bother to try and break thru'.

>*If you're NOT already at least moderately into anime
FTFM

Gura a cute

I just thought that Sup Forums of all places would be filles with people into anime and Japanese culture and history. I get that the "normies" will know about One Piece and not about Gintama, but I just wonder why on Sup Forums, Gintama just doesn't seem that popular.

Why isn't Tama real? I want a Tama.

She was too perfect for this world

She will live, user.

it may come as a shock to you, but even Sup Forums of all places more or less reflects on "normies" of the big world out there. New generations will and do find these places, all the time, and only the big blockbusters and greatest cult-hits will really remain afloat in the stream of time.

It does not help that Gintama is quite a hit or miss series, and one of the few examples I know where the old and busted "3 episode rule" REALLY does not work at all.

>Why do Nips get so hard about filthy whores ? Why do they systematically feel the need to portray them as majestic, proud, dignified people ?

Because yuros are fucking prudes and there's nothing wrong with selling entertainment. Sex is a very small part of the courtesan role, they're expected to be well educated in literature, music and dance. Its like renting out the perfect waifu for a night before you have to go back to your awful illiterate breeding sow.

Gengai must keep his promise

Maybe but it really doesn't show because after each serious arc the conclusion ends with gin already knowing what to do and shoving some bullshit about his past, he didn't learn anything (aside from new relationships) and his choices wouldve been the same through the entire series, he didn't go through any drastic experience to change his outlook on something

Speaking of "yuros", I Wonder if Gintabros Who come regularly on The threads are generally eurofags (like me) or Americans
Knowing that we're not too much on them

The last arc in the manga is the second worst thing to ever happen to Gintama, just behind the change of studio to BNP alongside losing Fujita as director of the anime

Aren't you happy it's the last arc?
Unlike one piece and Bleach which got artificially extended

Let me guess; just because about how it became "boring, shounenshit garbage"?
If it's this, it doesn't even bothers me anymore since mostly everyone is bitching about this in the threads.

Not quite because its just shounen trash, but its reusing a lot of tropes that's already been used a fuck ton in shogun assassination arcs

Once every few chapter it pulls a "character probably dies" cliffhanger to just reveal they are not dead and sorachi keeps reusing it and it gets really boring.

Watch the Patriot episode and the Hasegawa and the emotional Hasegawa episode with the kid.
For arcs though, Four Devas.

Because Sorachi would have totally killed off fan favorite Takasugi...
But he already killed off some characters

Serious Arc: Battle of Rakuyo, Shinsengumi Crisis Arc, Four Devas Arc
Comedy Arc: Scandal Arc, Popularity Poll Arc

And Ginko best girl

has any other Shonen-like show spawned such a steady stream of best-girls?

Am very hyped for the Boyfriend arc

No.
>Battle of Rakuyo
Was the manga way better or only a bit better? Because even though Gintama is my favourite anime I don't think Rakuyo is that impressive as a story arc.

Rakuyo is more of my personal favorite, the fights were on point, and I liked how we got to see more Banzai, who I really hoped to have more sceentime.

Also, I'd also say the Farewell Shinsengumi Arc is another favorite arc of mine, since I feel like it does a good job building from the Shogun Assassination Arc. Also, the Shinsengumi are pretty cool guys

every thread, popularity arc

I loved how we got to see more Banzai too, I love him thanks to that arc. But the animation and art was frequently off (although beautiful at times) and the fights were too shounen-y. Plot armour and whatnot.

All are best except Otae she is trash tier.

Thought you said Otose for a second.
I can sorta agree with Otae, but I can't hate her because she was good in the FS arc.

Why is Sougo so based?

Ultimate Sadisto

I love Dadtoki!

i forgot what episode I stopped watching it but i remember the arc about the kid who did his summer homework about the hobo, forgot his name though

What if he inherited the balding gene?

No

Where the fuck can I find a subbed version of the live-action movie?
Nyaa doesn't have it.
Also fuck Benizakura arc being the only arc they movie-ize. I want a fucking Yoshiwara in Flames movie.
Also how can one series have the best fucking EDs and OPs ever?

>Where the fuck can I find a subbed version of the live-action movie?
It's out only in theaters, we likely won't have subs before a BD is out. Over-time wants to sub at least the specials, so fingers crossed they do the movie too.

I want to headpat kagura.

I wanna hug Gura

>the hobo
You're talking about the glorious MADAO, right?

>Also how can one series have the best fucking EDs and OPs ever?
Thanks to DOES and Spyair in particular

I enjoyed watching Gintama and when reached Shogun assassination and beyond, I am sad and dropped it

Gorilla can be cruel sometimes, user.

but even if I got sad, I think it is better this way
you have to be serious sometimes to be really funny other times
Tsuquyo best girl, popularity contest and harem best fun arcs, for serious arcs I cannot really decide

200 episodes in guys. When dose it get good?

Tsuki was so badass when she was introduced.

she was badass all the way

I wish she'd interact more with the other girls

The final arc was a mistake

Serious Gintama fucking sucks, the fact that it was allowed to be going on for more than 2 years is simply incomprehensible

I wish she did not, and interacted with Gintoki instead, as all the way love interest

guys, it is summer where I live and I have nasty cough and I feel something like blood in my mouth after I cough, do you think I should go to doctor?

How much money did gorilla make from gintama? Will he draw another series?

I dont think he can draw another series

Even if he made another comedy one, it isnt gonna be able to top Gintama. And his fighting manga is literally shit

You should see a doctor.