Is Hunter x Hunter intellectual?

Is Hunter x Hunter intellectual?

>While the series as a whole has received widespread praise,[134][135] the Chimera Ant arc in particular has been often singled out. In addition to being met with rave reviews, the arc has generated considerable discussion and analysis of its themes, symbols, characters and structure throughout and in the aftermath of its run. The arc is commonly viewed as a deconstruction of shōnen and action anime;[136][137] other readings have focused on supposed symbolic parallels with Buddhism[138][139] and nuclear war. Nick Creamer compared the arc to a “war drama”. In a lengthy essay, Creamer read the arc as a study of, and in the end a simultaneous critique and defense of human nature.[140]

>Much of the writing surrounding the arc focuses on its villain, the Chimera Ant King. Largely echoing Creamer’s conclusion, Luke Halliday, in an examination of the character, describes his story as “an exploration into what it means to be human.”[141] In the piece, Halliday describes the King's development as “one of the most interesting and captivating in anime . . . [the King's] journey is simply unforgettable” and states his own belief that the arc “will go down as one of the greatest stories told in anime”.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MSHjcS1h3AE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

O

slipary wet dog poop

HxH is literally nothing but powerlevel babbling.

this whole "deconstruction" meme needs to stop.

MY

Its shit.

SILICONE

NEIN

It is intellectual, but that doesn't mean what you think it does. It's hyper-concentrated on the thinking part which makes it a lot of times really dry and boring to read because of a lack of proper tension or engaging characters and events in the story.

HISOKA IS WEAK

O MY ASSPULL NEN

this

You made this thread last week. It was shitty "LOOK AT THESE REVIEWERS" garbage then and it's the same thing now. Fuck off.

>anime reviewers

No not really. It is an adult-oriented shonen, none of the references characters are very deep. It's interesting because of the way the show unfolds, it is not as predictable as other shows are. All the theories and extrapolations are because of the decades of manga serialization and the 150+ anime episodes to decipher, with nothing to really gain from it.

It has an innovative fighting system for its time, but that is it

Haven't read OP for about half a decade, but here, I can do that, too.

There's the main character, Luffy. He's been enamored with the idea of being a pirate ever since he met a real one - and after the execution of the "biggest" pirate out there, he vows to find his treasure and become his equal.
Had he stopped for a minute and meditated on the title of "pirate king", he would see how paradoxical that phrase is. But he never thinks about it. He's recklessly aiming to be the "pirate king" and THAT is what is spurring him on. That is what has lead to him acquiring that splendid crew of his. He had fought entire governments and ignored social rules just to do whatever he wants. But the thing is, he's not an "evil" pirate - like the stereotypical pirates in the west. He does not rampage around senselessly just for the sake of it. He is morally good, and this is not a bad thing.
You could argue that his morals are preventing him from being "truly free".
The Pirate King is said the freest man on the seas, but what is freedom? Was Roger truly free, or was he bound by his conscience as well? Luffy has a clear "goal" that he constantly strives to reach, while Roger was simply floating around doing fun shit - even if Roger was indeed bound by something, he was still freer than the protagonist.
In a way, the (average) pirates aren't all that different from the Marines - they have a "set" conscience. One is "right", the other is "wrong". That's the mindset of a robot. True freedom lies with becoming "human", and the pirates that achieve it are said to truly be exceptional. Even if they have morals, things bounding them, they make the most out of it. Their way of thinking is never "solid", but "fluid" - situational. Yes, they are bound by morals, but screw that - if you're leaping around the world and doing whatever you desire, that ought to be called "freedom".

Its totally bullshit. HxH is the most shounen shit ever. It takes all the standing around and explain exactly why my powers can beat yours and makes it even more ridiculous while pretending to logical.

>It's hyper-concentrated on the thinking part

But most of the time there's nothing really to think about. You're more or less waiting for it to reveal how the characters actually solve whatever problem their faced with, which is deliberately set up so that this is almost always basically impossible to figure out before hand in whatever contrived way.

>I couldn't figure anything out so no one else can

WAHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
youtube.com/watch?v=MSHjcS1h3AE

Please explain to me how you'd actually come up with most of the solutions yourself without flat out guessing. I really want to know. Most of the time I was trying to pick Togashi's brain rather then think through what the characters would actually be going through.

By having a three digit IQ.

Exactly! Unfortunately, some people are stupid and "profesional" anime reviewers keep spouting the term at anything that does something different than the genre tropes.

I like Hunter x Hunter but saying it's anything but just a little different shonen battle manga/anime is just over-analyzing it

I mean, you're not wrong but there IS an internal logic to the world and the characters actions. Despite what many will claim are straight up asspulls in the story there is definitely a level of consistency in the powerlevels and magic in Hunter x Hunter that you just can't get from other shounen. Hisoka's revival was perfectly in keeping with what we've been told about nen since York New. The whole Gonzalez resurrection thing is, yes convenient, but still logical and doesn't negate the sacrifice of Gon's choice (it also leads right into the Dark Continent where we'll probably get more focus on these alien abilities). I think the characters are the most consistent part. Togashi has never just used a character as a chess piece for the story to manipulate. The story is subject to change based on the personalities and whims of the characters within it. It's not just well written shounen but a well written fantasy adventure story in general as well

>Gonzalez
Fuck

This

O MY

it can be, in some situations, some characters ..

problem is, as soon as someones claims "X is intellectual/deep" it triggers people to mock it: "2deep4u hurr I'm so smart..." etc..

applies to other things as well

It's sounds like your just talking about the latest arc.

Cuz the PT arc was built on engaging characters and tension, so was the CA arc, which ended up being a massive global event. Stop talking out your ass.

is it on hiatus again?

CA arc was beyond retarded.
It would be more acceptable, if Meruem and his guards weren't DBZ tier characters...
Yorkshin arc was the best and the current arc is almost on par with it.