OP MCs

Why do people hate Kirito, but love MCs like Onii-sama? You'd think Kirito could at least get some love ironically.

They do like him, his anime is a success

I ironically hate SAO, I've never seen an episode though.

>You'd think Kirito could at least get some love
Do you have any idea how well it sells?

It sells well, but it's universally HATED when you ask online. It's essentially the Michael Bay's Transformers of anime.

If you go on, say, a fight animation video with Kirito and (insert anime MC here), most of the comments will be "Look at all these SAO fanboys, how pathetic!" Then you scroll down, and you don't find any fanboys, just people complaining about fanboys. SAO hate is so ingrained into people's minds that they will shit on the fanbase even when it doesn't exist. Why is SAO hated to the point of irrationality?

>but it's universally HATED when you ask online
Who cares about a bunch of vocal neckbeards?

Me, considering that I'm currently asking you guys

and

as well

>sao places high in character polls
what's the point you're trying to make?
do people get mad because their favorite anime didnt win or something?

Here this is a recent one

>what's the point you're trying to make?
>Why do people hate Kirito

My point is that Kirito is incredibly popular

>universally hated
>yet it sells so well
Well ya lost me

Popular by the silent majority, sure, but when people get asked, no one can say anything positive about SAO besides the premise. Kirito being OP is a huge criticism against him, but when other anime MCs are OP (like Onii-sama), then they're okay? What' the difference?

Mahouka isnt as popular as SAO, so people dont care enough to hate it

Onii-sama is just a giant meme at this point, I doubt many people except fujos really like him.

But why isn't Kirito, then? They're both OP as shit.

Because love for Kirito doesn't come with irony on Sup Forums. It comes in earnest. And so the fans are being made fun of.
That's why these people have gone into hiding.

SAO seems hated enough on the internet that you could kill someone who liked it and be called a hero and a badass.

Amazingly despite saying that people don't advocate that brand of violence

Onii-sama is so OP that faggots cant self insert into him.

I unironically like him

Because SAO is popular and bad enough that it's cool to hate it. Nobody cares about Mahouka in comparison

Kirito should be more loyal to Asuna

this

kirito gets a lot of love unironically

Didn't stop e-celebs from autismally complaining about Asterisk War but basically this.

If SAO quietly faded into obscurity it'd probably get Asterisk War lite tier hate

Probably not. People remember their hate.

>can't accept that SAO is the manifestation of everything otakus want in an anime nowadays so you move the goalposts back
Fucking stop

Now I remember Aldnoah Zero was the second in command in Kirito's army of rage inducing trash.

Makes sense.

Onii-sama's appeal is in how bullshit overpowered he is, and you're just coming along for the ride and watching what's the next ridiculous trick he'll pull outta his ass.

Popularity doesn't mean the fans proudly flaunt it on the internet unironically.

There's bad things people like and keep their yaps shut about

Mary Sues/Gary Stus have to absurdly unfair like Alucard in order to be tolerated/liked.

No one likes a faggot who pretends he's fair and goes full Deus Ex Machina. Kirito runs on Fairy Tail nonsense in a virtual world that SHOULD run on logic. Onii-Sama abandons all pretenses of fair play from the get go.

Only Digi complained about Asswar, nobody else gave a shit from what I remember.

I remember some gimmick c-lister like DXfan did a video too.

Stop bringing this shit to Sup Forums.

Kirito is popular between young boys because they can self-insert in him but normal people just hate him because he is a mary sue, he is boring, op, bland, etc...etc...

No, normal people ignore him because they understand the story is not targeted at them.

Well, don't.
Arguing with contrarians is impossible.

The difference between good OP mc and bad OP mc is how their OPness relates to the plot.
A bad MC plot is where everything is always perfectly resolved by the MC being amazing. Any issue that pops up the MC has some way to manage it and is absolutely perfect at it.
A good OP mc might try to solve it but doesn't have some random ability or skill he pulls out his was to do so, and the problem might not be solved by the MC or done perfectly with actual repercussions.

For example I think overlord is a good example of how to utilize OP (though there are other flaws). Ainz is pretty horrible at the daily shit, he's trying to do something way out of his league, the only thing he has going for him is combat strength. Meanwhile literally all his plans are spiraling out of control.
A bad example is KKKbear. Yuna literally solves every issue immediately as well as has the skills to make everything perfect. She can draw, cook, and solo the hardest monsters in the world. Then casually makes friends with the king and princess. Nothing ever goes wrong.

I like him and also enjoyed sao.

I want Sugu to sit on my face

MCs that are able to save and protect their gfs are good MCs.

>they're both Gary Stus so people should like them the same
No. Kirito's teenage voice has nothing on Onii-sama. He might be perfect, but all we ever see him do is screech like an autistic faggot while swinging his sword. Onii-sama, on the other hand, flies around in powered suits and wipes entire warships from the face of the Earth with the same destructive power as a nuclear warhead without breaking a sweat. He always surprises you by winning in unexpected and ridiculous ways while looking calm and composed. Meanwhile, Kirito is just the most previsible guy.

Does Kirito have literally Jesus powers of reviving the dead(and he even feels their pain a hundredfold when he does it)?

He has the power to come back to life

I think it's more that people want balance. People don't want OP protagonists, but they've also gotten sick of these pathetic beta MCs too. They want to read about a human; not some extremal caricature of one.

Are you somehow under the impression that anime are created in a vacuum?

>before watching SAO
>"man... this anime sucks ass, everyone on Sup Forums complains that it sucks"
>watches SAO

this is why I dont trust Sup Forumsnymore

He came back from death with the power of love once

>I think it's more that people want balance. People don't want OP protagonists
I want an OP Protag, it's always entertaining

People generally love Onii-sama ironically, because of how ridiculous he is in his GaryStu-ness.
Kirito is just more skilled than everyone else, thus being more boring.
Both are shit characters though.

It became popular and had a huge fanbase.
This in turn made hateful people speak out about how much the anime sucks.
The thing is, people with hate like to bitch loud and often. While the people who are perfectly fine remain silent.

Although it is like this, there are more people who are fine than there are who want to complain.
So there isn't really an uproar of hate for the anime, it's just a smaller group of people who won't shut up.

>Popular by the silent majority, sure
this is why trump won. you berserkfags/libtards are so mad at kirito/trump that you're making an ass out of yourselves as guts/hillary fanbase

Have you looked at any actual character poll, not one shilled by aniplex? Girls don't give a shit about Kirito for example.

OP protagonists are entertaining if done right. Kirito is the complete opposite of that. He's a broken character in a setting where much of the tension comes from the danger of death. Too bad Kirito isn't affected by that, since he can just bruteforce himself through it.

Then you have characters like Medaka, who doesn't operate under this premise. She's basically a gag herself. You pretty much can't overcome her. It works with her and Anshin'in, because she's a mary sue. It doesn't make her that likable, more so than Kirito, but still pretty bad. That's also where Zenkichi comes in.

Gary sues can work really well in gag manga. Like Sakamoto who'd be shit in any serious situation.

Kirito is skilled but pretend he's not whereas Onii-sama is self aware that he's OP and doesnt play fair

I like both Medaka and Kirito
I just love MCs that are OP and cocky about it while flaunting it, it's entertaining as fuck watching enemies get godstomped
I remember loving the second part of the first season of SAO precisely because of how bad the villain lost and got humiliated by Kirito

SAO is not intended for fujoshits
dumb post

>I was wrong
>dumb post

What

>a bland self insert isn't popular with girls
Who would have thought. He was not designed to be.

Why would fujoshi watch a haremshow, moron?

So only underage self insertfags like him? I guess that part is correct.

I don't think izayoi's op on mondaiji universe, iirc he almost died and all because of challenging another demon lords.

Its like Transformers, Twilight or 50 shades of grey. People on the internet and ""critics"" will sit on these properties all day to leech off of their popularity by saying how shit they are, but this does not mean that the products are actually unsuccessful.

Since art now is produced to be mass-consumed, the only hing that matters in the end of the day is how popular a product is, not how artistically sophisticated it is. It might be a show that has a ton of flaws, but if it prints money nobody gives a fuck.

>Since art now is produced to be mass-consumed, the only hing that matters in the end of the day is how popular a product is
It was always like this, the difference is that now it can be brought to billions of people near effortlessly while in the past this was impossible

To an extend. There was still the pursuit of artistic excellence when it comes to selecting which type of work of art is worth purchasing or even revering. But yes, it does have a lot to do with the limitations of both production and spread.

>Shinji in the top 5
Based nips

>There was still the pursuit of artistic excellence
Of course everyone is gonna say that, but the classics that people like to rave over are simply the most popular things
So if a few centuries or millennia from now people were to ask what the masterpieces from Japanese animation were the answers would be Eva, Monogatari and Gundam

Well demon lords should be more OP so not dying to one is pretty up there.

bump

Don't do empty bumps. If you have nothing left to say, let the thread die.
There will be another one.

He's bland self-insert template.
Onii-sama is autistic war-machine, as is Goblin Slayer.
Ainz from Overlord is OP too, but he fucks up and get confused over simplest shit sometimes.

I honestly tried to watch it.
It was shit.

Oniisama is great because it's not taken seriously. He's broken and does broken things with his broken ability.
Kirito is shown as a completely normal guy who just happened to be more skilled than everyone else based on playing games. And he just happens to have the perfect skill for every situation while still acting like he's nothing special.
When oniisama rides away on a motorcycle he downloads the manual off the magicweb and memorized it instantly. It's ridiculous and it's supposed to be ridiculous. When kirito meets a motorcycle that literally noone else has the ability to ride, he just happens to be able to do it because he has a scooter irl so it totally carries over into the game for him, but not anyone else.

>Rei best girl
Nips have shit taste

Izayoi works because he's OP in a world filled with similarly OP characters. He's a big fish in a really big pond.

On the other side of the coin is Kirito who just vacillates between trying to be humble and lording over how superior he is to every other player in the game. Even his excuse of being a beta tester doesn't really hold water, as the first arcs of both the light novel and Progressive go out of its way to shit on other beta testers (see: Diavel, Coper).

>love ironically
I want you to explain this concept to everyone you meet.

Kirito is played straight in a series that tries to pride itself on "realism"

Onii-sama is borderline absurdism and you question if its tongue in cheek

I fail to see the difference

That's because you are not onii-sama.

bump

And here I thought I was the only one with that opinion.

Actually, what made me dislike parts of the second cour was the that Asuna didn't get to assist much in the curbstomping. I wanted to see a real power duo there.

But my comfy SoL is better than this trash

I think what makes OP protagonists unlikeable are the pretenses of characterization and meaningful resolution, and the overall disunity between character and dramatic narrative. This is why comedic writing works so well with OP protagonists.

we have this thread every week