How come anime became so popular in Latin America?

How come anime became so popular in Latin America?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VwlRdcIt9yM
youtube.com/watch?v=zRIPkEpsfU0
my.mixtape.moe/wsytvj.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=2mq9Agdtpfs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck off with these glorified Sup Forums threads, already. You have them like every week, it's fucking retarded.

wild savage people understand wild savage people

The people who stayed inside watching chinese cartoons all day survived and reproduced while people who went outside got shot and died.

The openly corrupt governments used anime to further dumb down the IQ of the monkey kids

Fuck off

because there aren't better cartoons around

Are you saying there's no openly corrupt governments in Latin America?

kill yourself

very interesting discussion topic my man

have a bump

I spent a few years there, so I can probably answer this.
>showed both on national TV (daily 3 hour blocks right after school ended) and cable
>daily episodes instead of weekly
>dub was actually decent (not the dumb spaniard one)
>fairly faithful adaptation (same OPs and EDs, some were dubbed, some were in japanese)
>decent selection
It has been a long time since I left, but I still remember watching all seasons of DB, Pokemon, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Corrector Yui, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin, Ranma, Slayers, Gundam, Patlabor, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Medabots, YuGiOh, Beyblade, etc. It was pretty neat before we got broadband internet.

damn shawty

>How come anime became so popular in Latin America?
Dunno.
youtube.com/watch?v=VwlRdcIt9yM

The mind of a sub-human is a strange and simple place.

Anime is a form of escapism. They need to escape the most.

During the 90s, latin america localized anime themselves, avoiding censorship bullshit that was rampant in usa.

Anime is the prime escapist entertainment medium per excellence.
And Latinamerica is a place were they could use a lot of escapism to not think about their shitty realities
t. mexican

Thats the opposite of what he said, i guess anime does bring iq down

>Latin America
>Portugal
>The mind of a sub-human is a strange and simple place
Indeed.

It's considered dishonorable to keep the half-breeds so they dump them back in the fathers homeland, the kids then grow-up and watch anime to be closer to their mothers.

This, can confirm

Hey user, what is the biggest country south of america? And what is their official language?

Yes, user. But this dub in specific is the Portuguese one

btw, its written portuguese vegeta in the video

Yes, minor cultural/language difference.
But the same english sub/dub is for the anglosphere independent of american english or british english.
What, are you going to redub the whole thing to fix some minor differences in articles that don't change the meaning or to fix differences in pronunciation?
That's a lot of money when liscensing ;) and broadcasting as is is way more profitable.

Anglosphere is stupid, even spanish makes different dubs for latin and Spain ones.

That that money spent just to fix lisps and to add slang. And people wonder why they're third world.

*all that*

The dialogue and localization is completely different. Spain translates everything while latin america keeps the japanese names and terms.

Nah, is just that the difference between latinamerica Spanish and Spain Spanish is a lot bigger than the difference between US and UK English. Sometimes we can't even understand what are they saying

Different dubs m8

Speak for yourself you filthy mexican

Just like how in every American dub, its still called the English Dub.

Fucking morons

From whoever country you are, you aren't any better.

youtube.com/watch?v=zRIPkEpsfU0

Brazilian dub is miles ahead of the Portuguese one.
Most old anime that aired here in Brazil have pretty iconic dubs.

Except Brazil had a different dub, retard. That shit only aired in Portugal.

No one cares you fucking monkey eater.

>latin america
>is not in latin america
>No one cares

This is like when people from one part of the African continent try to distance themselves from the other parts.

> W-we don't all live in huts....

A polished turd is still a turd

Why don't third worlders just adopt a a useful language based on latin and greek?
At least we can blame all of our inconsistencies on french influence instead of a product of one's own bastardization?

Seriously, you have no notable works of culture based on language, why not just change for the better?

This.
They end up being cancer even without people bitching about realizing that some Sup Forumsnons live in different countries.

>tfw Angra will never make another anime OP

youtube.com/watch?v=WCV74ZtLx6I

You tell me, third worlder

UMA

RU

>You tell me, third worlder
Blind nationalism and a sense of identity based on considering everything that one does is culture means that they view attacks on their trash languages as an attack on their culture and therefore a personal attack?

Idk, I'm basing that comment on mexicans and projecting it south.

you need a lot of escapism to forget about your corrupt governments and crime. Videogames are good for that too.

Dragon ball z

Videogames are too expensive because of said government though, anime is cheaper

Imagine being this amerifat retard

>dubbing the correct shows

Videogames are cheap in Mexico tho

Mexico is the most weeab country in Latin America

Post Mexican anime characters

At least in Brazil consoles are almost double the price even after converting from dollars to reais. For instance a $260 PS4 would be roughly R$820, but you can't find it for less than R$1300 ($410).

>latin american
>everyone defaults to mexican

Maybe because it's the only relevant country in Latin America?

Relevant in which topic?

Not really, maybe relevant to the US

>mfw peruvian

El Peruano

Dude I love peruvian cuisine

It's fun, i guess. And most most of those countries don't actually had grudge against the chinamen, you know because of the war and all the shitty stuff that happened.

I can confirm this dating back to...

saint seiya, candy candy, mazinger z, mighty atom, tetsujin, space pirate, doraemon to name a few i used to watch before i knew what was anime.

Anyone watching Dragon Ball Super on CN?

The Mexican dub is still God tier

From a native, this is spot on.

>that opening
No thanks.

>Muh Adrian Barba

Opening is ok

Because it was more fun and by fun i mean agresive than local animation. AND IT WAS GLORIOUS.

Seriously, nowdays cable programing is full of shows where kids act like teens and whatnot. It´s totally shit compared to the time where we had Mazinger Z, Robotech (yes, not Macross... back at that time we had Robotech), Transformers, Thundercats, Silverhawks... yes, i realize some of those are not even anime.

The anime explosion came later with Captain tsubasa and specially Saint Seiya.
By the time we got the original Dragon Ball anime was already a thing around here.

We had several chanels solely focused on anime and got some really good dubs on shows like Tekkaman, Rurouni Kenshin or Cowboy Bebop.

It was truly the golden age...

Vuela, pega y esquiva!

then animax came and everthing went to shit

Because the shows aired mostly uncensored on national TV. It has nothing to do with escapism, anime is just one of many forms of entertainment.

Yes, pretty much. Locomotion was already agonizing, Big was long gone, MK was bought by fox and became fox kids or something and CN tried one last time with Naruto or something... but there was no more anime focused chanels, heck, by that time even the weekend special programing was gone.

it was a sad age until internet became somewhat cheap

Hue here, portuguese portuguese can also be hard to understand. I remember an interview were they had to sub a portuguese scientist, but they didnt sub a spanish speaking one.

>1300 to 1500 pesos
>cheap
you are a very mocking ass arent you

I remember DBZ and an anime called Shurato (which was a Saint Seiya like anime) airing on the Brazilian chanel.

As a kid i would watch that even though i didn´t understand most of what they where saying...

Not when you buy bootlegs. I don't know about current gen, but in the past you could just take your console to be modded in most vidya stores.

>Buying from Gamers or Jewplanet
>Not from Amazon Mexico or Steam

Over there watching uncensored anime was a norm for kids and teens, not something you'd hide (at least back then, not sure now). Once we moved to high school, some of us remained weebs, some started watching MTV for music videos and stuff, but still none of the shitty teen drama and kardashian crap you find nowadays.

It was easy to stay with anime considering the "grown ups" options in latin america where mostly crap.

Soccer, MTV, shitty soap operas or what? talkshows?... admitedly even some live actions aimed to kids like Sabrina the teenage witch or Clarissa explains it all where better than that shit.

Admitedly there wasn´t the amount of fiction TV shows we have today... i think the first live action ones to catch my eye where X files and Buffy... maybe Friends.

But not much else seemed to have the plots or just awesome fights anime had. Granted as a grown up i realize the plots wheren´t the complex shakesperean arguments that i remembered but still where far more interesting than the trend.

Buu fucking suck

I wish I could understand how can someone enjoy that much shit.

Lol
my.mixtape.moe/wsytvj.webm

I love to see Mexico represented in anime

>Relevant
>Latin America
Pick one

Non meme answer here. It was cheaper to import and translate than other shows from other countries. You could get airing rights for garbage nobody in Japan ever touched for very cheap and slap a dub or subs on it and you had a filled timeslot for a while.
Hence why we got very obscure OVAs and shows from publishers/studios that were desperately trying to get their cash back, and people would enjoy it because it meant more anime.
We got good stuff but also some really really crappy shows nobody remembers anymore.

Lots of Japs go to / live in Brazil.

Hey, USA is pretty relevant

I loved koni-chan. I mean, all of the puns n shit were pretty much mexicanized but it was still funny.

Are you retarded or something, spanish might seem complicated but it's one of the most coherent languages that exists, and this is from someone who speaks4 languages, you actually read everything as it is written, on the other hand french is messy and english is a fucking bad joke

una vela...

UMA DELICIA

Mi novia chilindrina es tan linda

It also helps that spanish syllables and japanese sound quite similar. Calling character names by their original names didn't sound unnatural in the dubs.

Kagome.

magic kids, the channel

i often wonder how would the japs react to a chavo or chapulin colorado skit

That was very erotic

youtube.com/watch?v=2mq9Agdtpfs