Did this scene happen too early?

did this scene happen too early?
>At the end Rei says "I don't know what to do," and Shinji says, "I think you should smile," and Rei smiles. ... Afterwards, when I thought about it, I cursed. In short, if she and Shinji completely "communicated" there, then isn't she over with? At that moment, Rei, for me, was finished.

>When she smiled, she was already finished, this character.
-Hideaki Anno
Or should Rei's character have developed beyond her doll state more? Or not?

But user there were a few cute Rei moments in the anime, like the mother comment

Maybe from the narrative perspective. She didnt play a big role from episode 7 to 22.
Rei is the only character that dont seen to be becoming worse with the time.

But i guess it happened the right time so there is no conflict with asuka. Eva is way too close as a harem as it is.

Assuming this is a real picture not some idealization in shinjis mind, make sence for rei ii being too autistic to pose for a photo.

>The truth is, I have no emotional attachment to Rei at all.
In the midst of making Eva, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten her. Her very existence. For example, in episode seven, I remembered and added one shot with Rei. I had no attachment to her at all. I think that was okay, because in episode eight, she didn't appear. Not even in a single shot.

I just find it strange that they'd do something like this. It's as if they just found her character a novel idea to implement but then didn't bother to think about whether she'd stay compelling to work with throughout the show or how her character arc should be handled to keep her compelling. Seems like poor foresight.

Most eva characters are representations of different kinds of depression, right?
Rei is the "existential crisis". However, i am not really sure if anno had existential crisis among all the shit he felt while making eva, which might have caused a disconnection.

I mean, an existential crisis is something much more philosophical than a "normal" depression

What is this and where can I get more

>Eva is way too close as a harem as it is.
How so? All the girls wanted Kaji and Gendo.

No because this set the story up for the episodes where all three pilots were working together after Asuka was introduced

Rei is a non-character. She cannot develop because every time she moves forward emotionally she is killed off and the cycle begins again.

Only those with mental illness can relate to her.

No. Shinji's connecting with Rei leads right into the comfortable atmosphere of the next act and Rei's own arc, with Shinji making her conscious of things lacking from her life and how unhappy she was. If Anno meant that he had the chance to fix it in Rebuild instead of doing it again and harder.

>reifags are this delusional

Sitting in your room and talking about your character arc to the screen is not a character arc.
Rei is a plot device non-character.

Not saying it's any grand development, but she wasn't exactly left on pause between Ramiel and dying. The character in the elevator was changed a little from the one Asuka first met.

It's paltry in comparison to what Misato, Asuka, and Shinji got.
Rei is an absolute mess in terms of writing and execution.

her smile felt pretty mechanical to me.

>anime characters have varied hair colors and body shapes and personalities
>their VAs all look like the exact same person

Asians really are subhuman.

>those teeth
are Japs the Brits of Asia?

Ritsuko had a bigger arc. Smiling just didn't finish Rei's and wasn't inappropriately timed.
It is, she asked for an expression to assign to the mood. Her effort is sincere.

They were eternal allies for a reason

Ritsuko was a fantastic character, every scene she was in contributed to her depth and to her final conclusion.
Rei had nothing like that, she was often used as a silent background prop. And that's why I can't take her seriously.

>asuka is brash and has inadequacy issues while wishing to remain independent and prove herself by her own merits

>shinji is craven and has a poor relationship with his father yet wants to make everyone happy and proud of him by piloting the EVA

>gendo wishes to reunite with his wife while unifying the world together to erase all hardships and suffering using the EVAs

>rei is a clone also she smiles once story arc over lol

yeah but it was more about them 'completely communicating' with each other than about it being genuine.

Rasing Shinji Ikari project manga I think.

so even with this problem, is she a good character according to you? Why?

bumping this

she's a toilet

I pretty much forgot she was in the show after Asuka shows up as well.

Rei a fucking shit.

did you know? NGE was Robin Williams' favorite anime
makes me think of what song he might have played when he did the thing.

>robin not got to see rebuild finish

>not got to
fucking kill me

So this... Is Rei Ayanami... Woah...

>reifag hangs himself
hue

people like this who do cosplay do it for laughs, right?

It's funny whenever it's some big fat guy cosplaying an anime girl, but always just seems really sad when a fat woman tries it

It is actually still somewhat sad when a fat guy does it

No shit sherlock

What more is there to develop? She has no soul.

It's still kind of tryhardy to me. I mean have some self respect guy.

If i remember well, that rei got killed not very long after that, perhaps 2 episodes

Lucky fucker.

What if Anno pulls a Robin Williams before the last Rebuild?

It would probably be for the best.

God Evangelion is so fucking bad. It's like Anno tried to make an anime with the same sort of atmosphere and aura that a lot of American drama films and shows had, but it completely falls flat when you realize any sort of part of the show that you could actually take seriously is buried underneath really unnecessary imagery and annoying characters that losers only like because they're attractive drawings.

Those things are not hard to filter out though if the delivery of the narrative is competent enough.

>where can I get more out of character bullshit

People like Evangelion is not that deep, user.

*People liking

Out of character bs can be fun though if it's not in the show itself

If it's pure gag, sure--see the Puchi Eva strips. Raising Project thinks it's doing something right, which is embarrassing, and it reinforces waifufag delusions about the show and characters.

True. It's also coupled with shitty art and unfunny "comedy".

The doujins of Tengu no Tsuzuna are full of top tier gags.

If you're a retard, maybe.

>ahhhh, stop having fun

The doujins of Tengu no Tsuzura are trash.

I find it amusing how you spam these shitty doujins every thread like an annoying faggot

>Raising Project thinks it's doing something right
That's Angelic Days and Persona E. Raising Project's as self-aware as most of the merch, it just can't manage funny.

What the fuck is Persona E?

Being self-aware doesn't keep something from being shit. In portraying the characters the way it does, Raising Project thinks it's doing something right.
But, yes, Angelic Days is a travesty. Any spinoff for shipping's sake has been absolute garbage. The other spinoffs have generally been bad, too, but a lack of or at least heavily reduced presence of shipping has been beneficial to them.

>Comparing Megumi Hayashibara to the rest

That's cheating. Also I'm realizing she really didn't get much to do in Eva.

This is why that new gaming manga is pretty good

>Evangelion jumps the shark and has to resort to shock value and vague meaningless symbolize for the rest of the series.

you can greentext anything that way you know

All of this was better paced in the rebuild, not to mention better drawn.

well rebuild had other problems

Nah, it really sets up that Shinji and Rei have a special bond together which eventually leads to pissing of Asuka. Really important too the story, also considering she's not the main love interest it makes sense to sideline her a bit.

What show did you watch? Cause it certainly wasn't Eva.

perhaps