MAL, Forums, and general fansites

Wall of text incoming.

What is 2017's Sup Forums's stance on sites like MyAnimeList? What about anime-related forums and sites? Over the years I have avoided MAL because when discussing anime I highly valued anonymity since the lack of it, imo, creates an environment that promotes attention-seeking and personal gain, things that lower the quality of a discussion (since it's more likely a nicknamed individual will try to impress someone else instead of being honest and authentic).

Last year I finally decided to make an account and start moving my decade-long notepad file with the things I've watched since it provides functionality that conventional logging can't (easy access to information, air dates, etc.). Ever since I have noticed a ton of entries don't have reviews at all, which brings me to the question:

Is there any reason why someone shouldn't write a review for an entry that doesn't have it?

I have seen childish, petulant reviews in that site and others, but buried below those you can always find (in such cases) one that is as objective as possible and gives a proper idea of what an anime might be about. The elitism in me says "True anime fans will find good anime through years of lurking and seeking, being rewarded for their effort", but also now that I'm older I ponder... Why shouldn't we help others find anime that might be more of their linking?

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/profile/domko
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>MAL, Forums, and general fansites
This doesn't belong on Sup Forums. Fuck off.

Despite the invasion from Sup Forums and reddit, Sup Forums still hates MAL

Fuck off.

Add me as friend desu
myanimelist.net/profile/domko

tl;dr
I'll just say that Sup Forums's delusion about being the only good and respectable anime site is laughable. This place is shit.

It's better than whatever shit board or website you're from

Find a better site for talking about anime.

You're right. This place is complete garbage.

There's probably a better site for you to post in desu.

Please take a minute to read the post. MAL's logging system is an useful tool. The fact it has a relatively disgusting community doesn't negate the reality of being convenient.
But why? I'm not referring to its threads or its community, but it's purpose which is to easily catalogue and find anime.
No. I'm not interested in the community aspects of the site.
I disagree. Some people that also used to browse it years ago now say it has become boring with its more strict and regulated format, but I like it. Certainly way more than other english-speaking text/imageboards, forums and community sites.

MAL and Anime-Planet are fine for cataloging anime, the communities are shit

This
It's funny how some Sup Forumsutists completely lack self-awareness

This place is a good and respectable anime site. you get told like it is: You have shit taste or you don't.

If you want to keep track of your anime progress, make an excel spreadsheet or something rather than use MAL

To add to my refusal, your scoring system is petulant, childish and shameful. Why you would openly publicize it is beyond me.

I use mal for the list, together with taiga.

I also write "reviews" of anime, mostly a couple of lines about that I think of an episode, but on another site.
You are free to write reviews for mal, as long as you like what you are doing and as long as you don't bring mal drama here.

>MAL's logging system is an useful tool
Yes, and?

Everyone already knows that's the only thing MAL is good for.
What's the purpose of this thread then?

Kill yourself.

Look at this special snowflake

The only huge problem with Sup Forums is that people are very insecure and rarely admit they like something.

Learn what that word means before using it

Sup Forums is extremely conformist place with hivemind mentality

>reading the episode threads for some anime on MAL out of boredom
>cunts keep posting their reactions to something that other people commented on years ago (since those threads have no necro as far as i know) with lol xdd everywhere
This is a pretty biased outlook, but it really disgusted me.

>not just using Taiga and being done
You don't even need to use the rating system nigger

Congratulations, you listened to newfags. Everybody that isn't a complete sperg recognizes that MAL is okay to use as a tracker. We shit on the awful community.

Reminder that using lol xd was very common on Sup Forums years ago

I had thought of that as well, but hyperlinking connection is terrible in excel, or better put, makes the spreadsheet a mess to organize since you need to add information horizontally only, unless you want it to be even messier to use.
Please don't be so vitriolic, and read the OP. My priority questions was whether or not the review function ought to be used for entries that don't have it, in order to facilitate information to someone exploring the catalogue.
I agree with you, user. I'm unable to understand people that comment solely for the sake of itself, without even considering if they should add anything to the conversation at all. Like some flies landing on food and leaving behind their empty putrescence.

>still using MAL after that shitty profile redesign

But, user, I already use the tracker and this thread is not about that function. Please read the OP again, I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

>This place is shit.
Wait, there are people who unironically think it isn't?

I don't get it, the few MAL threads I've read looked like a watered down version of Sup Forums, what's the big deal about the community?

I still don't get why would you even need to keep track of the series you have watched.

Write a review if you want to, what do you care what Sup Forums thinks? It's mostly going to be shitposting and you should have known that going in.

>childish and shameful
You just described everything I give a low score

Reviews are garbage. Always have been and always will be --- MAL reviews especially no matter what it is. If a person is too braindead to be able to not know what anime he wants to watch based on his own opinion alone then they're a lost cause.

Now fuck off.

Crossboarders who are mad they got told to fuck off

I for one like to go through it sometimes and look at things I've forgotten.

Reviewing video games and movies makes sense; people spend money on them and want to know what they're getting themselves into before dropping cash.
Reviewing TV shows is retarded since they're basically free. That's my take on it.

Image related

I cant understamd extreme mecha fans, to me it even seems like people are fakimg that to create reactions. Whats it appeal, especially older ones that seem really cheesy

Thread related:
I actually use mal to have a list thats used easily to share to new people i meet, and have discussions only with people i've met outside of mal, why is this bad in eyes of an average Sup Forumsnon?

just like everywhere else on the internet

>Is there any reason why someone shouldn't write a review for an entry that doesn't have it?
Not really, no. Write reviews to your hearts content.
But please make it better then 'The pictures where pretty and the characters fun. 10/10'

If you're not braindead and take them with a grain of salt a review can actually give you a bit of a better idea or what you're going into.

For instance I recently wanted to watch an anime called Allison to Lillia, but a couple of reviews tipped me off that a core theme was pacifism. Without having been told that I might have wasted my time watching something I wouldn't have liked. Just don't be a retard and buy into every word someone says.

It works for me fag and disregarding your opinions for IMG_* filename

Some people like to write reviews and other people like to read them.

I wish had kept track of all the videogames i've played through my life too be desu