Eccentric Family

What's Benten's deal? Does she love Yasaburo and if she does, why is she fucking other men left and right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kZCINcLv6lk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a mystery. Nobody knows what's going on in her head.
She never wanted the power. She didn't ask for it. But she can't really just give it up and go back to being an ordinary human either. Not after everything she had seen and experienced.
Does she love Yasaburo? I think not. She does like him a lot though. He's probably the only one she could really talk to. Or at least she felt that she could talk to him. So she usually gets disappointed when Yasaburo started acting like a servant.
So why did she do this and that? I think even she didn't know. I guess she's just bored. She could easily get anything, except the things she wanted. Because she didn't know what she wants. Just a lonely woman trying to feel alive.

She's just a fucking mess of a person.

As it is, I don't think she likes Yasaburo in that way, she just wants to be liked by him and to tease him and shit.

I'm fairly certain she loves Yasaburo since he's really the first one to give her any mind at all as a person and not some fling. That being said, I do agree. She's a complete fucking mess in the head, and I legitimately feel sorry for her because she seems so realistic as a personality and as a person who just can't seem to find her place in the world.

>She could easily get anything, except the things she wanted. Because she didn't know what she wants.
So, she's a typical attractive woman?

The way I see it, they're sorta like soul mates that just unfortunately can't work things out.

I don't think she loves him romantically, if she does then she isn't aware of it at least. Some of the S2 scenes gave me the impression she was looking for "family" in him and if the 3rd novel takes that angle it wouldn't surprise me.

I mean that one scene where she came in and started freezing shit while crying is pretty indicative of her feelings towards him. On an unrelated note, I don't know if this counts as SS

>What's Benten's deal?
She's a power-hungry, egotistical bitch who got kidnapped when she was a teenager.
>Does she love Yasaburo
Yes.
>why is she fucking other men left and right?
She's actually not, but both herself and Yasaburo know that he's beneath her, socially. Yasaburo has clearly been in love with Benten for a long time, but he'd never act on his feelings out of far and reverence. Benten, likewise, views Yasaburou as an entertaining Tanuki and wouldn't hesitate to eat or kill him if she had to, even if she'd regret it afterwards. Her feelings towards Yasaburo should be pretty clear after season 2's ending.

That scene was Yasaburou's daydream though.
I have absolutely no clue how old everyone is supposed to be.

Because she refuses to sacrifice her freedom, commit, and take responsibility. But not paying some kind of price ends up being a price in of itself, since everyone else is willing to commit and sacrifice for something they care about. They all are able to move forward and she gets left in the dust

>not fucking men left and right
>is a self-admitted golddigger

purityfags are idiots. she is fucking men left and right and sees Yasaburo as nothing more than a toy to eat at the end

To me, she act like real woman that suddenly gain massive power. She become greedy and yearn everything, human society, tengu power & mc bowl. Ironic considering in the end she can't beat Juurojin in wealth/influence, Niidaime in power, and Kaisei in Yasaburobowl.

Only possible old men are Juroujin and Akadama (when she was younger), going by S2 no-one else in the Friday Club definitely has gotten the pussy.

I think a lot of people would act like she does if they were given supernatural powers. She's been brought into this supernatural world where she clearly doesn't belong, but can't bring herself to leave. In the end, it's basically just her trying to find some happiness in her life when all she really has is power, not the ability to properly connect with others.

Reminder that Benten is a cumdumpster who sleeps with any rich man

I just realized something. Yasaburo probably 'loved' benten more than vice versa, but at the end of the day, benten was the one who was more open to escalating their relationship.

That said, she was just recently btfo while Yasaburo was getting tingles for kaisei (I can't remember if that was before or after their meeting) so take it with a grain of salt. I don't know what the message here is supposed to be, something about male agency and winning at life by rejecting easy pussy, maybe?

People sure love to float that idea. That she slept her way in the club. Most of them are trolls but there might be some morons who actually believe that.
If she had slept with them, why did they show such restraint in her presence? None of them dared to tell sex jokes in front of her. None of them tried to grope her or even make physical contact in any way. They wouldn't even dare to look at her naked body when it was she who walked in on them.

It's because they read the fucking wiki page and don't watch the show. That being said, I really want Benten to end up with Yasaburo because their dynamic seems to compliment one another. Benten desires genuine human affection which Yasaburo provides to her. Likewise, Benten is the teacher/parent figure to Yasaburo that his father never really was. It's ironic because Benten eating his father was the best thing to happen to him.

Yasaburo is infatuated with Benten the persona, not the actual person.
He admires how she moves about so freely, without care, and without fear. Even though he knew that's an illusion. He had seen her in her down time. But he still gets mesmerized whenever she takes to the sky.
As for message? I have no idea what you are trying to say but I don't think there is any message there.

Too bad Yasaburo finally moved on when he realised how self-destructive Benten's way of life was. By the end of the show he basically just pitied her for how unhappy and screwed over her life was.

I mean there's another book. The unhappiest of all christmas cakes can't die alone.

I don't claim to know what happens, but I'd find it hard to believe at this point that Yasaburo would go back on what he's decided now, even after he came to understand ((at least partly)) Bentens sad nature.

At the same time, Yasaburo pushes his "I gotta save people" agenda hard in complete contrast to Benten's attitude, so it's not outside of the realm of possibility that he tries to change her. I just feel terrible for Benten though, seeing as the first man she actually genuinely falls for hates her for all of her bad traits.

Reminder that you lived long enough to see Benten get BLOWN THE FUCK OUT not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES.

Hatesex with Niidaime would break the world.
Imagine the tanuki scrambling left and right every time they have a lovers quarrel.

Trying to help her change doesn't really equal falling for her though.

At this point for him it'd be like trying to get a violent drunk to change.

I don't see them becoming an item. Her interest in him because she thought he could understand her, or at least the closest that ever gotten to understand her. But I just don't see he would ever become what Benten hoped he would be.
There appear to be two ways he could go. He could either accept his root and stop trying to be the rebel, or forsake everything to go with Benten and become truly free. I don't think he would take the later path.

How is he so cool and yet such a goof at the same time?

Would Benten be a good wife and mother to her and Yasaburo's cute daughter?

> I don't think he would take the later path

This, mainly because by the end of the show he can see what that freedom really gets her, which is nothing but loneliness and a generally unfulfilling life.

Many cool dudes are cool because they are good at hiding their goof moments.

>freedom
>bad

as opposed to living under the yoke of people telling him what to do and not dictate his own life? benten may not be happy but she can at least admit she chose to forge her own path. choosing to stop being a rebel is doing nothing more than giving up and completely runs counter to why yasaburo went on this whole fucking ordeal in the first place.

> Benten may not be happy

The whole point is that Benten isn't happy despite being free because in the act of keeping her freedom she needs to keep some level of emotional distance from everyone, and all that ends up doing is making her lonely. She acts on a whim to do whatever she wants, but she can't get any actual emotional fulfilment out of her life since she's always 'alone' in some sense of the word.

Yasaburo can keep his rebellious personality or whatever the fuck he likes, but by the end of the show, he at least has come to understand the importance of community/family/friends and has significantly more emotional stability and happiness than Benten because of it.

But what good is freedom if you have no goal? You can't forge your own path if you don't have a destination.
I don't think either path is superior to the other. But I think he is starting to realize that he is not a real rebel and probably doesn't have the courage to truly become one, so it's time to grow up and embrace his root.

Look at Notch. He's a billonaire who could do anything in the world and he's a depressive mess who spends his time shitposting SJW on Twitter.

Look at all the neets who literally have all the free time in the world but are too depressed to do anything, they don't even engage in their own hobbies, much less something more "productive" like learning a language or an instrument.

All the freedom in the world is meaningless without having something to strive for.

Something I don't understand here is when people say Benten is miserable and lonely by the end. Whether she wanted to or not, Yasuburo busted through her shell of loneliness and basically forced her to acknowledge him as a friend/family/lover or whatever he ends up being in the end.

That's why I can sort of see Yasuburo ending up with Benten in some aspect because they're inseparable in terms of their personalities and fates. Yasuburo broke into her life (or more like Benten busted into his by eating his dad) and is now stuck with her. The same is true of Benten.

As much as I want to see an answer to this, there won't be a third season and I won't get to see how this whole Benten business finishes. She really is a delightful character to watch in that she displays all of the characteristics of a lonely billionaire alcoholic. She's essentially Bruce Wayne minus Alfred.

The key difference here being that Yasuburo forced himself into her life and now she's learning to get better with it. I see it as character progression that he can see her problems now, and he may act to try to fix it because he's stubborn. Common sense would say not to even bother fixing Benten but his rebellious nature would just go counter to that and try it anyways.

If freedom means leaving your family that you love more than anything and 10/10 fiancee that can shape shift into anything, then yes freedom is bad

I didn't watch the second season because of life/work but is Benten still around? Your description implies that she's gone from the series now which takes away my only incentive for watching it.

So real talk, is it correct to assume that:

Main Character: Yasuburo

Main Female Lead: Benten

I'm not saying they'll get together, but it seems like the anime is formatted this way at least, not unlike that one series about that older girl who loves to look at bones but has a fiancee already.

> That's why I can sort of see Yasuburo ending up with Benten in some aspect because they're inseparable in terms of their personalities and fates.

They really aren't inseperable, and, if anything the end of the second season shows Yasaburo basically growing out of his feelings for her and outright stating that he's not the kind of person Benten needs in her life to make her happy anyway.

she's still around, albeit a bit lighter in the end.

I dunno. They spend a lot of time together and it's really thanks to Benten that Yasaburo is the way he is now. He might try to return the favor and try to make her better.

Eh, it sort of just branched off towards the end. The last few episodes were definitely weaker.

Kaisei won the Yasaburo-bowl, they won't become a item. At most, they will become bros after they both get over their issues and that's it.

> but it seems like the anime is formatted this way at least

Except it's not since the second ((and probably last)) season has Yasaburo basically just getting over her and also getting engaged to another girl.

He even says that he's not the person she needs in her life to make her happy. I don't know what happens in the book afterwards, but I can't imagine they get together after that.

> try to make her better.
You can want to help someone change for the better without wanting to get together with them.

>Benten appears in all promotional material
>Benten appears in almost all episodes
>Benten is a central character in the plot
>Benten appears on cover of album
>Benten is first crush/first girl to MC
>Benten needs help at the end
>People think MC won't help her

Holy fuck you people are fucking idiots if you think they're not ending up together. This shit is going to be Nisekoi 2.0 with how bad you Kaiseifags are going to get btfo'd like Onodera. First girl always wins faggots.

Did Yasaburo really bust through her shell? I don't think he did, though he'd gotten close. She probably hoped he could, but he's not the one she wished for. On the other hand I don't think Yasaburo really want to break through to her. It's her image that he admires, not the person underneath.

She can't handle the tanooki dicc

>Generic moeblob wins again despite rarely appearing
>Far more interesting christmas cake loses despite being in plot most of the time

They can't keep doing this

youre a blatant shitposter but does anyone have a higher quality image of that album cover. its fucking beautiful. captures her character really well

This isn't a romcom.
The reason she's featured so much is because the mystery that is Benten is one of the main driving force of the story.

I agree with the second part in that he's in love with the myth and not the person, but Benten does show genuine signs of trying to (and completely failing) to grasp genuine affection. It's a start.

Here's your (you)

This isn't fucking rocket science, it's a god damn anime to appeal to people who want to see a happy ending for a tortured soul. Even Monogatari. which is supposed to be a "masterpiece," has shit that is easier to write than a middle school paper. Deliberate confusion doesn't equal great writing.

Great job countering my points Kaiseifag

Kaisei is great, and deserves to win over a self-destructive cake like Benten.

>Boring generic empty slate wins over complex and interesting character

People like you are why anime is so shit nowadays. Just pure otaku garbage pandering

It's a start on Yasaburo and her maybe being able to become actual friends, but as it was stated before, he's gotten over her, and I think Benten herself knows at this point that they wouldn't really have a good relationship anyway.

It's okay user, you can stop shitposting now, we get it.

That was the entire point of the last scene where she's butthurt on the bed. I thought that maybe they were implying she had some feelings for white top hat tengu, and that it was unrequited like Yas's love for Benten was unrequited. Either way, I think the main point of the show was focusing on Yasaburo's life instead of trying to make a specific story out of it. The way the overarching plot comes together feels like something was resolved, and yet it still had that slice of life feeling to it.

I shall ask this again:

Would Benten be a good wife and mother to her and Yasaburo's cute daughter?

I honestly can't imagine her as a mother at all.

Oh yes I'm sure the majority of the readers would want Benten to finally be happy. Or at least find some way to be content. But that doesn't necessarily mean ending up with Yasaburo. Once again, this isn't a romcom, treating it as a waifu war is silly.

You underestimate the autism of shitposters. I didn't even know this show was popular enough to get shitposted on. Speaking of, Alice to Zokoru was another one which I enjoyed at the same time.

Assuming this isn't shitpost. I do want to see Benten happy, she can earn that without getting the mc bowl. After all what she lost when kidnapped is a family and no character in the show including Yasaburo treat her like family. Now where is her family exactly?

>Does she love Yasaburo
Probably not.
>why is she fucking other men left and right?
She's insecure and lonely.

She'd be an awful mother.

Not that user, and I'll admit I haven't read the books, but honestly I can't imagine her finding her original family would really lead to anything good at this point, she was kidnapped as a kid and has been living in this supernatural world as a pseudo-tengu for so long she would probably have no real connection to humanity anymore.

I'd say the best thing for her is probably just to start fresh somewhere new, she's tainted all her relationships in Kyoto in one way or another, and it'd probably be easier to meet and form proper connections with new people without being constantly reminded of her past and what she's lost.

I'm just a wikifag passing through this thread, but from what I'm reading, it sounds like the MC ended up with his cousin. Does Sup Forums not care about cousincest?

they are not human beings

I beg to differ. She'd be a great mother, albeit a bit cold to her daughter. They say children can melt any mother's icy heart.

Tanuki are basically animals, I don't think they really care.

>Does Sup Forums not care about cousincest?
I care about it very much. It's great.

I miss Gyokuran. Also Mamanuki.

Mom why am i eating my friend?

>comiket had a Gyokuran preggo doujin (copybook)

Scans never

I listened to the new drama CD. Kaisei calling Kinkaku and Ginkaku oniichan at home made me feel fluffy.

youtube.com/watch?v=kZCINcLv6lk

>no S2 soundtrack upload on yt
Anyway "Funman" is good and chilly as well.

What a coincidence, I just got done watching this.
Was anyone disturbed by the murder elements even though it's clearly supposed to be a funny slice-of-life show first and firemost? Especially that fucking professor who likes Tanuki but he also eats them and tells them right in their face that they're going to die. Some borderline psychopaths in this show, including Benten let me tell you.

its love, you just dont understand user, desu i just think the professor was a vorefag trying to justify his shit fetish