OSAMU DEZAKI

Is there any other director that can even come close to rivaling him in terms of influence+legacy?

No

>Astro Boy
>Ashita no Joe/2
>Lupin III
>Aim for the Ace!
>Ie Naki Ko
>The Rose of Versailles
>Space Adventure Cobra
>Oniisama e
>Black Jack
Just look at the fucking track record. How can one man have this many masterpieces?

Was he a shojo fan?

Perhaps. Maybe just an Ikeda fan.

>Dezakishit character designs

>continuing to have this shit taste
user, just stop already.

Cobra is a literal masterpiece

no

It really is, honestly

No actually.

In an interview he implied that loved shounen and generally disliked shoujo.

Rose of Versailles is the only shoujo manga he claimed to have actually liked.

source?

From an interview with ANIMERICA:
>You know, I’ll admit that the first time I ever read girls’ manga was the time when I was asked to direct Ace o Nerae!. Up until that time, girls’ manga was rather similar to boys’ manga. A little before Ace o Nerae! came out, girls’ manga started to go into its own unique world and I stopped reading. I just happened to be working on Ace, so I asked for a copy of the manga. Then, I wasn’t sure if I could do it. After all, it’s the story about a high school girls’ tennis team and there’s the main character’s love interest, Coach Munakata, who’s dying with a disease. If you extract all these plot elements, you can still get good drama. But I still had to translate the indescribable atmosphere of girls’ manga to animation. I thought that would be a good challenge.

What I get from this is that he thought that Ace was something that was difficult to work with as a source material since it was something he wasn't used to. It is just an an implication, though.

>there’s the main character’s love interest, Coach Munakata, who’s dying with a disease
weird as shit considering the first series had no indication of these developments

this has no implication that he loves shonen

also, shonen and shoujo are not genres

Yes, but which is his magnum opus?

Ashita or ROV.

ROV, hands down and no contest.

Oniisama e and Remi aren't that far behind though.

heh

He didn't even direct all of RoV though

So Ashita.

Rose of Versailles was fantastic, Oniisama and Aim for the ace were great. Currently watching Cobra and the sisters arc was some of the best scifi anime I've watched.
Osamu works are the epitome of anime.

I agree that Onii-sama e designs look kinda creepy, but anime Oscar is unironically pretty.

>Onii-sama e designs look kinda creepy
>implying
Nanako is the most beautiful anime girl.

Their faces are too long and eyelashes look like centipedes. I like the series, but designs look really dated for a 1991 show.

It's what happens when you attempt to adapt Ikeda's designs.

Ikeda's designs look more childish though.

Not really

I remember

>we have reached a point where more people know Joe's ending than there are people that have seen the show

No

Remi

Dezaki a best

Reinhard-sama is so pretty.

P-Please stop user-kun

who has that oscar/reinhard edit?

Got you.