In this Corner of the World

This movie was a rollercoaster of emotions and the loss of innocence. It was truly a rich story that can only be portrayed through the artistic style and choices in animation. It definitely was worth the theatrical watch.

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.si/view/823562
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I watched the movie, and who would've thought anime could have a message this simple, yet so meaningful? So artistic yet bold?

This is the kind of anime the industry needs right now, not the usual crap TV offers.

>waah le ebil americans with their nukes
No thanks senpai

It was really heartbreaking to see Suzu burst into anger and tears over the emperor's surrender broadcast, openly acting like a Japanese patriot especially way after mistakenly being accused of espionage. It really goes to show that the innocent are not mindless as to follow their country's orders to the last breath, but rather that they can't accept their own losses as being utterly meaningless after years of war and suffering. Even the scene where Keiko cries over her daughter's name in reaction to the surrender was just heart-wretching.

>not even showing in my cuntry

Just coming from this movie, this movie is rollercoaster of emotions that I can't fucking contain my self and tear up at some part

I wish Suzu was my wife.

*yawn*

Mizuhara please, you had your chance.

Katabuchi IS the master.

>saying complimentary things about anime on Sup Forums
What the fuck are you thinking?

I feel bad for wasting $9.75 on it and you should feel bad for liking it.

I feel bad that I took the time to read this post, and you should feel bad for making it.

Have a strong desire to read the manga now. Are there any major adaptation differences?

No it's pretty much verbatim. Katabuchi does a very good job at adapting it through and through.

Color me impressed. So much of the cuteness is still intact.

where can i get the translated manga?

nyaa.si/view/823562

It's on Bakabt if you have access.

I need a Suzu nendo.

>tfw no QT WWII housewife
;_;

Does she or her relatives die at the end of the film?

No. Not at the end.

Was her husband the one she met in the monster's bag when she was young?
Also did anyone stayed during the credits? There were two small stories during the credits but I didn't stay for the second one.

Wasn't it her fantasy? The boy in the bag and her husband have the same VA so it is suppose to be him.

It was a daydream. She said from the start that she was a heavy daydreamer for an artist, which comes into heavy tragedy later on.

Yes.

The second series of pictures in the credits was about Lin's backstory and how she and Suzu had actually met before in their childhoods with scene with the missing watermelon

Pretty sad really..

this was such a powerful scene

also watched this in a room full of japs and let me tell you. elderly people sobbed hard at this.

>TJFF

Goddamn I wanted to be there, but I screwed up on the dates and missed out on it. I was really glad to get another chance to see this on the big screen (with a severely small audience too), but this movie was definitely very fitting for the JCCC's love for wartime stories and the growing generations.

It really was amazing. That, the american attack, and the hand scene really made the movie for me.

Oh right, I was going to see this next week.

I have no idea how the sailor deals with blue balls.

Harbor whores?

Another win for Katabuchi. We need this updated.

Yeah it was her husband. The monster was a daydream but the meeting was real.

MAPPA think they slick, she dabbin

But i don't think he can buy them since he leaves the house at the break of dawn.

Is this getting another showing in Toronto?

It just airred today. You best be quick, it only lasts for the weekend at a limited few theaters.

A Silent Voice so criminally underrated especially compared to Your Name.

There are many ports in this world user

im real glad i watched it at the JCCC, it was honestly the best audience i've ever been in for cinema

it's playing this weekend at Y&D and some showing till thursday too. im watching it again at 4pm sunday you should come user

Its good but your name and in this corner of the world are better, If they hadn't released the same year it would have picked up all the awards

I agree, Corner is better than both. Your Name is just overrated.

I'm probably bound to watch it again this week. Thanks for the recommendation.

It's also up on sekrit club.

I'll be there, see you maybe

I loved both movies for entirely different purposes and theme messages. One is a wartime drama that was about accepting reality and its hardships while the other was a modern romance story that was about overcoming hardships to fulfill deep desires. Both had a pretty heavy on me where they share the preciousness of youth and important life lessons for separate scenarios. I don't see one being better than the other, though I can see why people would love Corner more for the realism and family themes.

Not a fan of Silent Voice though.

*had a pretty heavy impression on me

>Set in Hiroshima during World War II, an eighteen-year-old girl gets married

It was a great movie, with some completely stellar moments that have already been mentioned in the thread already. It could have been a perfect film however if it was better edited along with a few other pretty noticeable flaws. I'm sure these were probably present in the manga too, though I haven't read it yet. Still very much worth a watch.

Now you read the manga again and notice that the background art after she lost her hand is messier. Because everything is fucked up after the bomb. It's like the world drawn by left hand.

stop hurting me

Oh yes, that burst of anger made me shed tears in the manga, then again in the theater, no shame.

Do read it. This is a very good adaptation, but you'll still see more details in the manga. There are some parts omitted in the movie.

Murica is shit, but they did nothing wrong about nuking Japan.
If this movie is trying to get me sympathize to the imperial Japan and it's people while pretending to be the real victims then there's no reason to watch this garbage.

It's not doing any of that but ok. You already have your dumb headcanon, and you're obviously going to stick with it.

>It's not doing any of that
Looks like the entire movie is about "muh poor nippon nuke victims".

It's not, nice try though.

>It's not
It fucking is though faggot.
>Japs got nuked by muricans
>huuur we're just poor ordinary people worshipping the Emperor like some kind of god and will do anything his retarded ass say.

Is this playing anywhere in the US? I want to see it.

It's not. Maybe watch/read the series before you start imagining things in your mind.

>watching blatant Japanese propaganda
No thanks.

It's not propaganda, if anything it's the one war film I've seen that actually goes out of it's way to show how the Americans helped rebuild Japan after the war.

Well it was mostly Katabuchi's great direction. MAPPA was just the vessel.

I don't think Silent Voice is underrated at all. It's their it belongs. It's ok but nothing really noteworthy. The only praise I can give it is at least it's not Your Name which is absolutely pure mainstream garbage. It was only good for one time viewing but after that it was very shallow and had no value left.

Silent Voice suffered because of Yamada's urge to be eccentric.

She made the film too "artistic" too which if it was actually achieved would be debatable. It didn't actually help but pad the lacking story because of the cut key materials. A lot of the characters were just severely one dimensional.

It's playing in California. I don't know where else.

It's a limited showing though.

suzu a shit
non-chan ftw

They were just ordinary people searching for meaning in life, and the easiest way to find meaning is to believe in a higher existence than your own. It was no different than Christians and God or the white working class and Trump.

It's an amazing film, anons really ought to watch it. It's not propaganda. There's never any "Japan was right, America was wrong" sentiment in there. It's just ordinary people trying to eke an ordinary existence in the craziest circumstances. It's anti-war in the very best way because it fills you with horror and anguish not just for the Pacific War but for all wars.

I hated this film. Suzu was so shit, I wanted to strangle her.

Fuck off chink, go cry more about the fake of nanking

Fuck off, Anno.

>it's another Japan whines about the nukes episode
Guess I'm going in with the lowest expectations possible then

>read manga
>son that was sent to rural relatives for safety decided to stay there after war instead of helping his family
What a little faggot.

It really could not be helped. He was the male heir to the rural relatives after Keiko's husband was gone, so it's very unlikely he will ever see that side of his family ever again.

Watched it in the plane. Lets just say I wouldn't want to waste my time on this at home.

Still waiting on the BD rip with subs.

same