Would his character arc have been better if we saw him returning to his dream of being a pianist...

Would his character arc have been better if we saw him returning to his dream of being a pianist, thus paralelling Akko pursuing her dream, instead of making him part of the political stuff?

I never got why people hated Andrew in the first place. The second OVA had the witches interacting with normal villagers, so why couldn't the TV series do that?

>pianist
While it was him dream, Andrew has a higher calling. I mean, he could go the selfish route and indulge in what he wants to do. However, Andrew has a much higher calling. He is in a position to not only help people, but to bridge the gap between the political world and the magical world.

He was taking away screentime from the little witches, his character was overlapping with Diana's despite her being much more interesting.

While there are a few legitimate criticisms of his character, the biggest one is that he gets in the way of Diana x Akko from happening. People don't like the fact that Akko was, gag or not, attracted to him. Episode 10 was probably the biggest roadblock to the /u/ ship from sailing; it showed that she was interested in guys.

Nah, it wasn't that Akko showed interest in guys. It's that in episodes 6 and 10 there were hints that might have gotten a larger role than Diana in the story.

Andrew isn't exactly a "normal villager".

>He was taking away screentime from the little witches
Fair enough. Although, the second cour took away a lot of time from the most of the little witches, regardless of Andrew being involved.
>his character was overlapping with Diana's
They served two distinct purposes. The only thing that they had in common was that they were born to a noble family. Andrew had a much different purpose than Diana.

I wish Andrew had a larger role in the story. This would have provided much more development for the political side of things, which would in turn help out Croix's plan tremendously.

That couldn't have been done without either making him and his father the same character (make him 26 or something), giving him some of Diana's scenes, or making him Akko's love interest. Only the first isn't a terrible choice.

Just merge his character with Louis, make him a bit more antagonic.
Episode 10 would have him befriending Akko, but still lotahing witches.
Episode 17 would have been the point where he changes his opinion on witches after Amanda and Akko save him and he openly confronts his father.
Then during the missile crisis his father calls for him for advice when they discover the witches involvement.

>him and his father the same character
This, make his father have recently retired, and he's still struggling to get a hold of what he is supposed to do in his new position.

He would have been a better character had he not existed. The staff already admitted that they shoehorned him in just because and then had no idea what the fuck to do wit him. It's not even about the yurishit, he's just a complete waste of time and space in all aspects.

>That couldn't have been done without either making him and his father the same character
I still it could have been accomplished without any of those things. All it would take is actual discussion about the political conditions of the two countries. Instead, all we got was a soccer game.

>The staff already admitted that they shoehorned him in just because and then had no idea what the fuck to do wit him.
That's what happens when you completely change the role and direction of a character after the first cour.

Oh, that could work. I think episode 10 might be a little too late to introduce him though. It was good to get the muggle side of the story early on.

Wasn't it the other way around? Where they had a plan for him from the start, but then halfway through decided to drop it so his existence just became pointless?

I think Yoshinari just got carried away and tried to tell too many stories at the same time. A love story between Akko and Andrew was possible, but it would just take too much screentime to make it work, but they had to fit the stuff about Shiny Chariot, Diana's backstory, Croix and her plan. And in the end Andrew and Akko's arc was the most easy to remove.

Pretty much. Yoshi asked Shimada to make a male character. She made Andrew and had a fantastic story line laid out. Yoshi liked it and wanted to go forward with it, however the other staff members disagreed. Producer-san won out and Andrew's character was completely changed for the second cour.

>I think Yoshinari just got carried away and tried to tell too many stories at the same time.
That's exactly what happened. Poor Yoshi, he has so much to tell yet so little time.
>but it would just take too much screentime to make it work
I don't think it would have taken that much time to develop. The stage was already set, all that needed to be done was some execution. While there is a pretty decent argument to make about whether or not romance has a place in LWA, I do think the writers could have made it work. I think Shimada could have made it work.

It would have taken spotlight from more important things like Akko's relationships to Chariot and Diana.

It would have been better if traditionalist relationships didn't scare the average num/a/le to the point where they have to resort to picturing themselves as the woman in the relationship and self-insert into yuri fantasies with Akko.

How do you know it was better than what we got? Episode 10 wasn't any better than 18 or 20.

>had a fantastic story line
How do you know it was "fantastic"? From everything we have gathered from interviews and panels, it was going to change the core of what LWA is and turning it into a Disney-like shoujofest
Granted, they messed it up in the reworking of the plot, but it's not that the original idea was what the staff desired..

>It would have taken spotlight
I mean, that's the fear. The last thing you want is for romance to take over a series that isn't about romance. However, a good writer is able to avoid this problem; they are able to write around romance.
Of course there's no way know how the story would have turned out.
>Episode 10 wasn't any better than 18 or 20.
Episode 18 was ruined by Croix and 20 was dampened by the other Disney villain.

Episode 10 was dampened by Andrew's one dimensional dad. Your point?

>it was going to change the core of what LWA is and turning it into a Disney-like shoujofest
Good writers are able to prevent things like this. Although, maybe they knew deep down that they were bad writers.
>what the staff desired..
Right, but it's what Yoshi wanted after seeing Shimada's creation. The director needs to have a little more backbone when it comes to the series that he loves.

Andrew's relationship with Akko couldn't be more important than Akko's relationship with Chariot and Diana. Romance would've made this impossible.

>Andrew's one dimensional dad.
He isn't one dimensional. While we never did get to learn why Paul was against magic, we did see that he had goals. He wanted, more than anything, for his son to succeed later on in life. For that, he was willing to make sacrifices early on in Andrew's life for that to happen. You can argue whether or not that was a good thing, but still.

>Akko couldn't be more important than Akko's relationship with Chariot
I agree. Chariot was one of Akko's major inspirations throughout the entire season. It'd be silly if Andrew eclipsed that.
>and Diana
I disagree.

This is cute, I love the size difference between the two. Anyway, I'm going out with friends, I'll respond to the rest of the posts when I get back home. Hopefully the thread survives until then.

Why? Akko and Diana relationship and contrast are literally the thematic core of LWA. Diana might be the most relevant character regarding LWA's main inspiration.

Stream threads in less than 8 hours, though.

>I disagree
And I disagree with your disagreement. Chariot was the reason Akko and Diana's relationship even exist. Andrew's relationship would have eclipsed even that.

Yea the 2nd OVA was shit.

>Diana never asked how Akko and Andrew had became acquitances.
I'd have liked to see what her opinion on them being friendly with each other was.

FFS Diana is not a love interest, she's just a friend. None of the girls are lesbians in any way shape or form. The reason Trigger did a 180 on Andrew was because Otakus were melting down because a guy talked to their waifu. That is all, it doesn't have jack shit to do with yuri or anything like that going by their Sup Forums and twitter replies.

>The reason Trigger did a 180 on Andrew was because Otakus were melting down because a guy talked to their waifu.

The reason Trigger did a 180 on Andrew is because they weren't confident enough into being able to write it as subplot. Some think it is impossible to do so, but I think it is very possible. I'm glad they decided not to in the end because Trigger loves Little Witch Academia so much it is clear they will do more of it eventually, and relationship bullshit would just drag down further adventures. Even if I think Andrew ending with Akko has a lot of cute potential.

>FFS Diana is not a love interest, she's just a friend.

I was and I was strictly speaking about friendship there.

>The second OVA had the witches interacting with normal villagers
That's literally one of the reasons why the second OVA is so reviled.

Maybe in the next movie.

>he makes a thread for the sole purpose of attacking people
How insane can you get, !Akemi.

I'm an Andrew/Akko supporter and even though the whole staff changes about the writing gives me a fishy impression, I do agree a romantic subplot would have overshadowed the whole series and the aspect of Shiny Chariot/Diana and Akko's background.

I do think there's some lacking in Andrew's character being placed as a the delivery hat boy in the end. But didn't Sucy and Lotte suffered in a similar way?

But anyways, I do think he still has the potential for being a good character in the future and his friendship with Akko was genuine. He seemed to have gotten used to her antics so I wouldn't mind more shenanigans together.

But what I consider absolutely silly is people shitting on him, especially male fans. It's sort of contradicting.

More Andrew would've at least been better than literally anything involving Croix

2nd streaming is going live soon!

I wonder if we'll get to see Diana in action...

>it's a straight romance bait : the show
Fucking yurfags need to be purged.

It's just yurifags and shippers who hate him.
Personally I enjoyed him. Good character, and I think he and Akko shared a good dynamic

Just so you guys now, nope. You have the wrong idea. Tomorrow's stream won't have Hidaka or Hikasa. It focuses on the background witches, including Hannah and Barbara. They're still saving Diana and Ursula. They're, however, revealing a new LWA project that involves all the viewers or something.

Imagine being this pathetically obsessed with keeping your trash thread alive.

Same. Only Andrew's friend ever inquired what was up with him and Akko

Most anything would've been better than than Croix

People disliked the 2nd OVA? I thought it was great, albeit a bit cheesy at the end. Why the dislike for the 2nd OVA?

>People disliked the 2nd OVA?
How are you enjoying your first month on Sup Forums?

I feel he was intended to be a much bigger character than he ended up being. He didn't even get much closure with Akko in the end, when if that's not what this anime is about.

That said, it's a pretty popular new series. What are the odds that it would get a second series or manga continuation?

>it's a pretty popular new series
>popular
>new

No one complained about the OVAs when the show was airing.

Pathetically obsessed is also that user hater lurking on this thread.

Plus, all Sup Forums's threads get deleted eventually so duh.

Niggers on this board hate the 2nd OVA because they are hipster garbage. Don't be fooled by the autism of this fandom.

This. LWA got too popular so they give it the hipster treatment.

The general consensus when the 2nd OVA was released went something like "slightly underwhelming but true to the predecessor"

Just because shipperfags want to rewrite history now doesn't mean people didn't love most of the new characters, and still do.

The fist OVA is loved by just about all.

Enchanted Parade is berated on just about every occasion it's been brought up, since it came out.

The previous user is right. You clearly must be new.

Why? Because it had icky boys? That's so petty yurifag.

EP did nothing with the new characters they introduced.

The green team was the best thing to come out from EP, I'm sad more stuff from it was not included in the anime, like the Shiny Rod giving power to other wands, it'd have made adventuring more fun.

What the hell are you even on about, Anonymous?

People mostly hated it because of the dumb drama, and because Akko was an annoying little shit for the majority of it.

They were equally relevant to the plot as Sucy/Lotte and other minor characters in the first OVA.
What do you expect to happen in 40 minutes?

Amanda showing the other little witches how to explore their sexuality culminating in a huge orgy for the climax of the film.

Get a Boyfriend, Woman.

Andrew posters should be banned

Andrew got shafted hard. Trigger went full kyoani on this one.

At least he isn't shoeichi.

Sup Forums got shafted being stuck with you. The mod went full retard not banning you.

>Mod bans everyone except the shitposter

This fucking board I swear...

Best character in the show.

>>>/tumblr/

You have problems.

>everyone who does not agree with me is a shitposter
Go back to your hugbox site.

>best charcter
>when fucking chum lee exists

Well, fuck me then for having an opinion.

I don't hate him as much as I'm disappointed w/ him. He's basically useless in the whole story. I don't want to admit it, but he really was a shoehorn.

Yeah, it's not like it was possible that Yoh changed his mind when he was suggested another option. We literally have no clue on what really happened so assumptions are all we can do.

>>and Diana
>I disagree.
Regardless of shipping, Diana's relationship w/ Akko is more important than Andrew's relationship w/ Akko in terms of the whole plot.

>It's not even about the yurishit
You yurifags keep spouting this shit thinking people will fall for it but everyone knows better.

It's all about the execution. If TRIGGER writers were good, they would've made Croix a better villain the LWA TV deserved.

Did you even watch EP?

1 0 M O R E Y E A R S

Not as hard as Sucy and Lotte.

Yeah I did. What's wrong with what I said?

Yes, because Andrew was so significant to the plot. Andrew was mishandled because, TRIGGER being TRIGGER, just changed his role halfway through. If they had had any competence, they would've rewritten his character from the start.

>Not as hard as Sucy and Lotte.
This was why I dropped the show, I felt that LWA was always about the main trio trying to prove to themselves, I liked Diana when she wasn't the main focus. Akko, Sucy and Lotte are the true stars of the anime

If Yoshi changed his mind, it would have been Shimada vs. literally everyone else. There's no way Shimada wins any concessions in this case. It's much different when you have the director on your side.

The only good thing about EP was B-Team and the animation. The boys weren't really that of a problem; although, the conflict was too black&white in the beinning which was still forgivable because LA wasn't really deep. Akko's drama was horrendously handled and what dragged it to mediocre territory.

>Good writers
This is trigger we're talking about it was going to hamfisted shit

I've been in the LWA threads even since Enchanted Parade's production. And I still don't understand the people that keep saying it was "the worst" of all the installments.

I mean, the only thing I can agree with the general consensus is that Akko was a royal bitch in it and that Jasminka barely did anything in it (as usual).But other than that I see no issues with it.

It's subjective. While I consider TV a larger disappointment, EP enraged me and I found it hard to enjoy because of Akko.

Sometimes people can surprise you, user. Maybe they felt like living up to the role as the heroes of the industry.

On a side note, this was drawn today. Andrew is great.

It would have been better if it was movie length and expanded on Akko Lotte and Sucy break up, its better then the tv show at least

Oh, it wasn't drawn today, my mistake. It's still good art.
>expanded on Akko Lotte and Sucy
I feel like they have made the same mistake time and time again. I'm sure they'll learn this time around.

>main trio trying to prove to themselves
Not really. While the trio's relationship is important, the only one really pushing to prove herself is Akko. The other two are just basically dragged by her self-absorbed nature for better or worse.

Funny enough, my biggest problem with Andrew is that it seemed like there was some internal tug-of-war over his character, so he ended up getting a fair amount of screentime but not enough for him to fully have an arc. He hovered in-between relevant and non-relevant and it felt weird as hell. The first half of the show feels like it's setting up this plot of the school trying to struggle against him and his dad to stop from being shut down, but that's dropped in the second half for Croix out of nowhere. At that point you're just wondering why he's even there.

I actually liked Andrew as a character, and I thought he had great chemistry with Akko. In fact my favorite Akko scene in the entire series is the one where she dances on the fountain in front of him and scolds him. It really sells Akko's character well and you can tell clear as day she's having a strong impact on him.

Who knows, maybe what we got was their intention all along, maybe there was some internal fighting over whether there should be a romance story or even male characters at all. In the end after having finished the series, I'll just call him your sadly-too-common "Wasted Potential" Character.