Why haven't any romance anime series topped Toradora yet?

Why haven't any romance anime series topped Toradora yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pr-58zB6DW0
youtu.be/8tZfyE50Mwg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=pr-58zB6DW0

Toradora went arguably deeper that all the others. Emotionally, near as I can tell, it was a meltdown. Very hard to withstand. It's too fucking much.

Why do people act like this is the best romance ever? It was above average at best.

You give it a lot of credit where most anime are horrendously below average relative to all entertainment.

I think it's mostly because anime usually doesn't bother making the characters friends before they love eachother. Ryuuji and Taiga dating makes sense after everything you see them go through together.

Also Ryuuji was actually likeable. That can not be said for a lot of Romance MCs unless they give them a 1D personality

It actually has good characters. Ami being best girl.

This show was so shit I dropped it in first episode

Ami is good, but I like Minori.

at least minori won in the sequel

The best romance anime of the last 15 years aired jsut last season.

A tsundere romance where two characters help each other to further their goals with getting into a relationship with two different people, but in the end, find they fall in love with each other.

This is the most generic fucking shit ever. Like, something you'd see made fun of in a parody. How can you people hold it up to such a high standard? Is it just cause you watched it as a kid? A teen?

because no one can make a good tsundere love interest to rival Taiga

It was fucking incredible.

Because it's the best iteration of that cliche. You don't complain about Dragon Ball being generic as fuck and full of asspulls or that Sailor Moon has too many mahou shoujo clichés because they are pretty much the point of reference for these things. Same thing for Toradora and that specific subgenre of romance.

I skipped this because it looked like Key-style overly dramatic shit. Was it actually good?

So they fucked that night, right?

>Same thing for Toradora

Oh you fucking are shitting me. Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon invented plenty of cliches, but I fucking remember seeing shit from Toradora back in Hey Arnold when I was a kid.

Yeah. Just fucking proving me right. Baby's First Romance.

Toradora is overrated.

too forgettable

Did Eri win? For the love of god don't let the hyperactive tard win.

It was great, and pretty much always beat my expectations and avoided drama.

My argument wasn't that Toradora invented any of these things, just that it became a point of reference for them. And even setting this aside, Toradora is also one of the few anime romances that feel like the author wanted to make a romance rather than a drama. Every romance has drama elements but in anime it's mostly a unecessarely long, drag of a contrived story with no point. Toradora is very much more "to the point", with very clear character development and memorable moments. Just because something isn't innovative it doesn't mean it's bad, execution is also very important. If you don't like it, what romance show would you hold in a higher regard so i can have a frame of comparison?

Nobody won anything

Just wait for Darling in the Frankxxx

Shit anime.
Taiga a shit.

Toradora was trash.
This is truly the unmatched romance anime.

Not overly dramatic at all. It's full of fluff and everything that comes with first love, in a so very japanese way.

That's why I liked it, no drama, no gimmick, no unecessary bullshit, no shitty characters, no ecchi fanservice, just teens in love.

yeah but the characters had no personality, that's why it won't replace toradora anytime soon

I watched it recently but it didn't make much of an impression on me. I didn't really like any of the characters.

Oh sure the two mains are both quiet good kids. That's why you have the cast of very colorful secondary characters, everyone felt so genuine.

Don't bother he is either an eternally assblasted Amifag or he is shitposting.

I believe they did... but lovely fucking

Is Melodies good?

I thought it was pretty good when I first watched it, but upon rewatching it I couldn't stand it. The drama and their reactions are such bullshit. The only tolerable characters are MC and Ami, and maybe Taiga if I think hard enough. Fuck everyone else.

What really turned me away from Toradora was exposure to romance shows where the main couple hooks up at the start of the series instead of at the middle or end. A good example of this is Ore Monogatari.

this topped it imo.

I prefer romcom rather then romance with drama

How is Toradora even remotely "to the point"? The entire show was dragging its feet, exactly the way you described for most other romance.

It is a lot more drama heavy then memories. And this might just be me but the direction felt like it siply tried to mimic what it did in memories without the same consideration put into it. But overall if you liked memories you'll probably like melodies aswell since it shares characters, structure, direction, and a main focus on romance.

What was the point of making Ami in love with Ryuuji?

Drama.

While AOTY contender, it can't really be compared.

>I couldn't stand it. The drama and their reactions are such bullshit
I wish more people shared this opinion
their actions are so melodramatic and unrealistic, like the characters are all trying to act like people from a teen romance movie instead of real human beings

they dont try

A few episodes drag in the second half, but youre really nitpicking at that point. If anything I agree that it isn't 'to the point' in the sense that the characters and their relationships are complex enough that you will actually miss things that can only be seen in a rewatch. Very few romance anime are worth watching twice and Toradora is one of them.

it's ok, I wouldn't call it good, it doesn't have the magic of the first season

Shit anime of shitty drama queens.
I dropped it mid-way

forgive my ignorance senpai, but what animu are you referring to specifically?

Thats literally the opposite opinion of the majority of people who actually watch anime. You might actually be too ADHD to appreciate good writing. As expected from a phone poster.

Seto no Hanayome is the better love story.

It's a normal reaction, given that he was one of very few people who already accepted the real her before her unmasking.

ryuuji deserved better than Taiga tbqhwyf

He means tsuki ga kirei, but as nice as that anime is it really can't compare

I don't own a mobile phone, and the majority of people who watch anime aren't exactly good at knowing if something is well written or not

thanks user, will give it a watch

The first half is alright, but the second half is complete bullshit. I'd argue that the majority of people who like Toradora only like the not shit part.

>christmas taiga
>kissmas taiga
>shit
no your opinions are shit

>taiga
is shit

In the context of most romances, the melodrama is really tame. They flub the ending by making the timeskip like 4 times longer than it was in the LN. But other than that, nothing really bothered me aside from the fact it could have been maybe 3-4 episodes shorter.

>you will actually miss things that can only be seen in a rewatch
Such as?

If anything, a rewatch will make you more frustrated, not less frustrated.

I feel bad for the brainlets who thinks anything even compares to Toradora, if you even for a second have that cross your mind you've proven that you're a consumerist brainlet retard who will eat up anything that doesn't have a dense, plot-driven deep thought provoking storyline like The Greatest Love Story Ever Told

I had to stop watching at the point where the glasses guy dyed his hair and everyone else started being an asshole.

i don't think toradora is that deep tbqh but it's still a great romance anime

nice irrelevant opinion you have there

take it back shes an angel

>don't
remove this
>great
replace with greatest

now you have a good opinion

ore monogatari is pretty much the only title that should have been mentioned itt

You didn't miss much. The only important part after this part is the ending.

I really like Konobi for the same reason as Toradora, the main characters are really good friends and when they hook up it will fell like a logical conclusion. But it's a different kind of show, Konobi is much more of a gag anime than a romance.

Was Minori legitimately insane?

They all were.

Toradora is just average. It isn't boring, but it has plain as hell characters, shit developments and a tame drama. And, what's most importantly for romance, it wasn't beautiful at all.

You two made me cry as im reading thread to catch up. Assholes.
I thought she was just mildly autistic.

The problem with School Rumble was that Harima turned out to be too competent as a character, and it'd have been a disservice to him if he ends up with any of the female idiots who he keeps getting paired with.

Toradora was written by Shakespeare himself.

Some get close, but many either focus to much ecchi. Turn it too much into a harem or a very competitive love triangle.
Thats what was neat about Toradora, it wasn't exactly a harem.

Also Toradora had sad moments, but not DESPAIR.

Ryuuji wasn't edgy but not a useless completely gary stu pussy.

Taiga was kind of tsundere, but not a major cunt.

And the show wasn't full of misunderstandings.

Taiga is presented a typical paper thin tsundere who likes to act out in violence for no reason. Its only over the course of the show that you learn just how much more there is to her, although she is presented in the typical tsundere archetype. A good example is in episode 8 with her blow up at the public pool. On the surface the scene is just boring tsundere violence because of Taiga's frustration, but on a rewatch you realize that scene is one of the most well crafted scenes in the entire series. Just like most high school kids who have a crush, she can't properly communicate her feelings when Ryuji mentions going to Ami's summer house. For her, she is clearly working hard to win so that she can be with Ryuji over the summer because she likes him. But, again like most teens, she is too immature to flat out say "Ryuji I dont want you to go because I would miss you." So they beat around the bush with each other with Taiga hoping that Ryuji will eventually cheer her on because he wants to stay with her as well. But of course Ryuji cant read minds and doesn't understand her true intentions. She is pissed because she is feeling jealous and anxious about the thought of Ryuji spending the summer with a beautiful model who is twice her size. Its such a realistic and relatable portrayal of how teenagers struggle with strong feelings like 'love'. Whats the number one thing you could never admit in school? Who you actually liked. You have to jump through these insane hoops and guessing games because nobody is mature enough to put their feelings out there. Yet, if you just take the scene at face value, you proabably only see a bitchy tsundere hitting her love interest. What you missed is how Toradora takes classic tropes and presents them in a way that has more depth than meets the eye.

Another perfect example is Ami. She is presented as your typical air head beauty type who is shallow and self centered. Only later do you learn how complex her character is.

Toradora is fucking terrible. If it aired today you would be calling it forced drama garbage.

I guess it's just a matter of life experience, then. Not my own, but the experience of the people around me. What you call normal teenage behavior I see as immature and frustrating by the time they're in high school.

It's mediocre. I deeply want people to understand this but they cannot or will not.

Im not sure what youre trying to say. Normal teenage behavior IS acting immature. What 9th grader do you know that handled 'dating and love' in a mature and open way?

>What 9th grader do you know that handled 'dating and love' in a mature and open way?
The ones I knew, apparently. There was very little beating around the bush; in fact, a lot of them tended to be creative or extravagant in the way they asked someone out. If anything, I was the odd one out because I was the one who was weirded the fuck out when someone asked me out.

Its not about being 'weirded out' or confessing to someone. Its about understanding the difference between infatuation and love. Taiga flat out confessed to kitamura and tried to be extravagant with her secret love letter. That doesn't make her mature. I dont know how old you are, but maybe you really did go to school with countless 15 year olds who are fully in touch with their emotions and still married till this day. But I would wager that not many are still together or lasted very long. Asking someone out in an extravagant way definitely does not mean they were in love. That is like the whole point of Taiga and Kitamura.

Being mature doesn't mean having long lasting relationships. It just means being up front about having one, and understanding that it might not work out. Even in your example Taiga was still pussyfooting.

I don't know how it worked when you were that age, but to the people I knew it was not a big deal whether the relationships lasted or not. If it worked out then great; if it didn't, oh well life goes on.

No, just the best

Name a better romance anime.

Anime takes place in Japan though, a land where anything you do in high school is the only thing that matters in life.

I guess that's the biggest difference, then. Everyone I knew already had shit to do outside of high school.

I'm guessing this is also why I find teen drama in high school anime so frustrating. They literally have nothing else in their lives besides high school, so any shit that happens in high school is blown way the fuck out of proportion.

Chunibyo was better.

Only the first season.

I just finished watching Toradora and Mayo Chiki. Any similar ones to both?

How do you top the greatest love story ever told?

by watching more than 2 anime

>youtu.be/8tZfyE50Mwg
I'll just leave this here, but I still think Tsuki ga Kirei is the best and strictly romantic anime.

Clannad is way better than Toradora.

>cuts off at the end
Lame.

Ami was in love with Ryuuji?

>Clannad
>have to wait till second season to become watchable

Clannad first season is much better than Toradora. At least it had decent humor.