Toho expected 4 billion yen in the box office

>Toho expected 4 billion yen in the box office
>mediocre 275 million yen weekend opening across 300 screens
>negative reviews, 2.2/5 on yahoo movies, 2.3/5 on eiga
>negative word of mouth
>rushed production disaster
It'll struggle to make past 2 billion yen at this rate. What went wrong for SHAFT?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-tKVN2mAKRI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What went wrong for SHAFT?
They're tried to push another Kimi no Wa.
Just like how after K-ON, everyone tried their hand at a moe anime (and a lot of them sucked.)

They remade a classic Shunji Iwai film

>rushed production disaster
This is so fucking disappointing.

the movie had quite a few budget scenes. shitty cgi, and an ost that was a mix of kimi no na wa and koe no katachi.

People just has shit taste. The sales doesn't matter. It will win overseas awards.

>It will win overseas awards.
Sure, a crunchyroll one.

will we get bds in december?

They could've done something new but they used the same old tired character design, visual direction and the usual SHAFT gimmicks. The soundtrack sucked balls too.

did it feel like takeuchi at all?

>SHAFT
How the fuck did they get funding in the first place? Shouldn't they have a black mark on their record from all they have fucked up in the past?

Friendly reminder that there's maybe a 20% chance that that guy actually saw it and isn't just bullshitting you.

SHAFT fell for the Kimi no na wa meme. They should've just kept on making their pretentious shit as least those sell.

They're full retards if they seriously thought they could make something with as much mainstream appeal as kimi no na wa.

>SHAFT

shaft is what went wrong. they're devoid of talent and creativity. anyone handing them a significant budget will get shit back in return. toho should have expected this.

I'll still watch it, I like Shaft's animation

youtube.com/watch?v=-tKVN2mAKRI

Based on this music video, the scenes are either really beautiful or mediocre TV anime quality. Really weird

>they're devoid of talent and creativity
Sounds like kyoani

What is this movie?

>SHAFT couldn't un-SHAFT themselves for a fucking feature film

Its the Negima movie all over again

Why exactly are people comparing this with Kimi no na Wa? After watching the original film, the plot isn't similar at all, and the characters and setting look nothing alike.

Sounds like insecurity.

why do distributors keep taking shaft seriously?

I'm so fucking sick of seeing Akio Watanabe's art style on everything Shaft does now that isn't 3gatsu.

I'm not

Because it's a romance with kids, which obviously Kimi no Na wa invented. People have been doing this for a while, it's just the new shitposting wave (as should have been clear from the studio wars nonsense also filling this thread). Ignore it.

>budget scenes
You mean SHAFT "artistic" scenes? Business as usual then.

This. It's starting to get stale now after years of Monogatarishit and that other thing.

What the fuck is this shit? Even for TV anime this looks like crap, with a couple of cuts that look like slightly-above-average TV anime. Can Shaft really not even draw a fucking flower pattern on clothes for a goddamn feature film? Not only are all the backgrounds hideous, the animation is laughable and the CG is complete garbage. The song is OK but seriously, the swimming animation is worse than some TV anime (you know the one I'm talking about), even the fireworks (in a movie called Fireworks) look worse than some I've seen on TV anime.

The only cut in there that could make me feel like I'm watching a film is that cgi shards cut at 2:20. Shaft is a complete joke.

Don't worry, Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai will be a hit.

most hilarious thing I heard all year. Just how clueless can you be?

That's gonna flop even harder.

Sorry, wrong thread.

kimi no's success is all due to Makoto Shinkai. That's not to say the movie wasn't deserving of praise just that it was a bit overhyped due to his popularity. The clones will start rolling into hoping to cash in and this will be the result for the next few years. The anime industry will continue on until the next big hit or fad.

Fuck me and i was legit excited to watch this shit, the music video was amazing.

What are you talking about? How can you judge the movie based on what the internet says?

We haven't even gotten a camrip yet.

I want a non-butchered Zaregoto adaptation with Take's art style instead of Akio Watanabe's.

I just a couple retards samefagging, pay no attention to them.

due to ghibli animators*

I have a feeling this will be a underrated movie even with the uneven animation.

Literally because Shinkai's name wasn't attached so all the braindead nips aren't going to blindly go see it and call it the greatest piece of cinema of all time.

>kimi no's success is all due to Makoto Shinkai
Of course, but I think the wide appeal it has plays a part too. Both protagonists felt more like normal people rather than otaku self-inserts and I think that helps a lot to reach an audience that generally wouldn't watch anime. Gibli movies had that sort of appeal too.

That's true too, but at least Kyoani is king when it comes to animation.

That's a stupid argument if you consider how his past films did. He was never very big.

Personally, I just think he's inappropriate for this sort of film. He's an otaku artist, through and through, why bring him onto a mainstream film? I know it was apparently the producer's decision, but I can't understand what he was thinking.

>kimi no's success is all due to Makoto Shinkai.
Is that why it was 1000 times more successful than all of his previous films combined? Shinkai was never a terribly popular director.

so they have talent?

Sure

>Both protagonists felt more like normal people rather than otaku self-inserts

This right here is the reason my friends and brothers really like the movie. Especially Taki, he just comes off a normal highschool city boy instead of the typical anime protagonist with numerous cliche quirks.

I just want more Zaregoto.

laughable response

you are right and I'm not looking at it's success from the perspective of it caught on from word of mouth and generally being liked by the mainstream non otaku audience.

Why can't they do feet correctly?

Well if we're talking talent for animation (and nothing else), then yeah. Their shows are the best looking in whichever season they air.
Most shows usually have either a detailed style, or a fluid animation (or neither).
Kyoani shows always have both.
I just wish their writers were as good as their animators.

>all they have fucked up in the past?
>Created the top two best selling anime series of the past twenty years, #2 and #3 of all time.

???????

not every show is a masterpiece but each one comes off as fun or heartwarming and usually both. That's better then 90% of what airs in a season.

Speaking of stuff people want from SHAFT, will we ever get a 4th season of Zetsubou Sensei? Why did they stop making it?

They can but only on close ups. Like their hands.

>Created the top two best selling anime series of the past twenty years, #2 and #3 of all time.
So how come they haven't followed up this pedigree with more great stuff?

>Using pretentious as a criticism in 2017

That's true, but that's the only thing they could do right, which isn't a bad thing. SHAFT should followed in their example and keep on adapting waxing philosophical banter. A show like Sakurada Reset would've been a lot more well received if it were handled by SHAFT.

I think that some user(s) pointed out before that nearly every studio has only had 1-3 big series that are pretty much all that sustains them.
Then lazyass Toei is too rich and immortal overall.

This. It's a shame because they could be making Psycho Pass S1s or Rakugos but always opt for CGDCT.

>spend the least amount of money on anime
>make the most amount of money on anime

Nips don't like half assed NTR. It's not a surprise this flopped.

Why can't SHAFT make more Madoka anyway

Urobutcher has no idea where to take the series after rebellion.

>CGDCT
have you even watched their shows or do you assume all their shows are K-on?

Make a spin off or something

>they could be making Psycho Pass S1s
Thank God they aren't making drivel like that because Psycho Pass was never good.

Japan has never been very big on sequels. The anime industry is all about the quick easy $$ because the audience is extremely fickle.

>failing for the keitai meme train
SHAFT is done

This could've been a good anime series instead of a mediocre movie.

Uchiage Hanabi was bad.
Every mid- to far-range character cut was bad CG, and of course so was every bicycle-riding cut. The pool swimming effects (body distortion, reflection, etc.) were hilarious. Basically every jumping, running and zooming cut was jerky as hell.
Inconsistent character art throughout. And all of this comes bundled with SHAFT's notorious over-the-top photography with very pronounced chromatic aberration and bad lens effects (not often used to be fair).
Oh, and the credits had 25 Assistant ADs. Two very down-to-Earth cuts but that stood out nonetheless amid the mess were one running cut by Genichirou Abe most likely, and another character acting and falling (Kojima I presume).

>mediocre movie
try bad movie

What's this rushed production thing?

People will pretend that this is exaggerated or a straight up fake review be we can see all of that in .

Shaft can't into decent scheduling, so certain cuts that could've been better animated and edited weren't due to a lack of time

Have to get it out as soon as possible to take advantage of the KNNW hype and they have nisio stuff to do.

>mediocre 275 million yen weekend opening across 300 screens
how is this movie still going to make more than Kizu? Exactly how badly did Shaft fuck up their magnum opus?

It will win the best slideshow award

Huge difference in marketing and number of screenings. Kizu is a much better produced work.

Because it's marketed as a mainstream movie and not an anime film

I miss pre-Monogatari series Shaft

but wont the marketing budget bite them back?

they're busy with 3-gatsu this time

you mean last encore?

if Your Name couldn't even get nominated theres no way in hell this will

TOHO

looks like marketing is the only thing they spent money on, so no

Maybe, but that's Toho's problem.

>can't into decent scheduling
you just write your schedule on a cute white board and follow it, how hard is that?

One of the voice actress died, and the manga is finished. No point in promoting it anymore.

The movie had quite a lot of animators working on it due to the rushed production so I won't be surprised if it went over the initial animation budget. Obviously it wouldn't cost as much as Your Name though.

>exactly 2 months for the entire key animation of the movie
Impressive, I was pretty certain it would took longer.

lets not forget garden of words too

source?

So is it that bad? the movie will be out here in a few weeks so i wondering if i should go see it.

so what is this movie about??

a boy and a girl fall in love something something

They can't animate decent fights.

Koe no Katachi wasn't really well animated, 2 months for key animation is doable.