3D Printed Guns

Are 3D Printed Guns the of the future? Will Anons be mass producing them in their garage during the upcoming Race/Civil War?

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

forgottenweapons.com/weapons-as-political-protest-p-a-lutys-submachine-gun/
youtube.com/watch?v=hc0fsphdc4I
youtube.com/watch?v=D43ZeYu9dnM
youtube.com/watch?v=3chSzLxPuzU
slavorum.org/diy-weapons-the-most-striking-and-unusual-weapon-samples-from-russia-seized-by-police/
themoscowtimes.com/news/lathe-factory-workers-jailed-for-making-lethal-pen-guns-12474
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9480119/Russian-pensioner-kills-neighbour-with-James-Bond-style-pen-gun.html
rferl.org/a/1053137.html
northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/diy-shovel-ak-photo-tsunami-warning.179192/
youtu.be/O4K4l0KzRfg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We've moved on to mini cnc machines to complete 80%s.

...no
people will be mass producing Sten's in their garages. no half measures.

that wouldn't last even 10 rounds.

are they strong enough to function without any metal parts?

no. basic physics

can you print ammo ? No ? OK, then you're fucked.

wow is technology really that far?
Can the even do a sturdy rifled barrel that way?

>Will Anons be mass producing them in their garage

3D rpinted guns are irrelevant toys. You can produce Luty's SMGs in yoour garage with no special tooling or parts and those would be 100% more reliable and lethal.

You'd be surprised. Though, the idea that a firearm with FDM components mustn't have any metal components is a pretty silly arbitrary requirement for the conversation.

Attached is a 3D printed AR-10 receiver being test-fired.

People can reload and make their own ammo.

So, you steel need half an actual gun for it to work? What's the fucking point then? You can make a 9mm submachine gun in your garage from hardware store goods, without using any purpose-made firearms parts.

forgottenweapons.com/weapons-as-political-protest-p-a-lutys-submachine-gun/

You can print guns out of metal aluminium piece by piece using layered laser aluminium printers.

The "firearm" as far as North America is concerned, is the lower receiver (the printed component in this case). Everything else is "over the counter".

There are also guns like the Shuty, which uses a glock barrel and a minimum of tools other than the FDM printer.

youtube.com/watch?v=hc0fsphdc4I

Aluminum is actually one of the worst metals for printing, because each particle of aluminum immediately passivates when exposed to oxygen. It's the same reason laser cutting aluminum SUCKS. It's great for milling/turning, though.

It's not abatrary you fucking nigger the only 3D printers comercially available to an individual use plastic and only plastic. The vast majority of the parts in an AR need to be metal like barrle, bolt, gas tubes/piston. Litterally only the envelope and other ergonomic parts of the gun are made of plastic.

Who cares if it's "over the counter", did you even read my post? There are simple technologies available without special equipment or parts (over or under the countger) that will produce you a firearm more practical and reliable.

I'm starting to suspect you're just some Puer Aeternus fag that likes to play with dinky toys.

This, but in the future, we might start seeing a come back in 3D printing guns with DMLS printers (as soon as they become cheap)

this you still need the fucking steel parts for these (to not explode in your hands after 2 shots).

so you actually need a printer that prints with steel in addition to this. Only aluminium though, but are actually printing passenger plane parts now.

Fun fact though they have been doing this for ages, but at bachelor we had assignments out on several factories. And one I was at is was jötul, they make ovens, you know for firewood and pellets and so. So the process making their ovens was as follows
>1. Make CAD model of oven
>2. Use 3d printer to use inverted mold
>3. Make packed sand mold of this one again.
>4. Fill it up with iron
Many years ago now though before printing got cheap and so and that printer was expensive as fuck, used ages to make the molds too. So it was important for them not to destroy it and keep them as long as possible for reuse.

Also it was hot like a mother fucker in there. I can't remember the price of this industrial grade printer, annoying, it was really expensive

Yes, it's completely arbitrary. Someone with access to a 3D printer is just as likely to have access to basic hand tools.

The two most annoying components for manufacture at home are the receiver (which is the regulated component to begin with) and magazines. Both of which are easily printed.

Why would you completely omit the use of a printer for the components it is best suited for or omit the use of other tools and materials for the components they are suited for?

Hell, even if you used it solely for making investments, that'd still be a fantastic cost-cutting tool.

>Printing steel
Or you just use normal steelworking tools/techniques for the steel components...

youtube.com/watch?v=D43ZeYu9dnM

Guys I just said it there...
>make inverted mold of gun
>make mold of packed sand
>fill it with steel
>let it settle and there are your gun parts

nah, melting steel is not something you can do in the back yard lol. I wonder if this is what they do at an actual gun plant these days though. But they use ceramics and so dunno how you handle that material etc

>receiver

yeah, a printed LOWER receiver...

>Why would you completely omit the use of a printer for the components it is best suited for or omit the use of other tools and materials for the components they are suited for?

BECAUSE I CAN MAKE A 9X19 SMG IN MY GARAGE WITH HARDWARE STORE PARTS AND NO MACHINE TOOLS ARE YOU FUCKING DENSE OR WHAT

holy shit are you an FBI bot or something? do you not grasp the concept of 3D printing being utterly impractical to produce illicit firearms?

ah yes ofc, I have never done any metal working really

I have no experience with shit at all, but I understand this to be very accurate. This way it's safe too

Fucking 3rd worlders make 1911's in huts in the jungle. Its unbelievably easy to make your own guns, and should time get real, you can expect step-by-step literature to be easily spread amongst a populace. All you need is scrap metal, molds, a crucible, and a filer. In any case, 3D printers or 3rd World, the harder part is finding ammunition.

Look it up, its a Ep. 1 of the series Underworld, Inc.

>implying pic related cant be made in any garage

Complicated geometries can be more easily reproduced with CNC (and 3D printers are CNC machines).

You are right, for Russia and probably most of the world. For Americans, only the lower receiver is legally a firearm, which is easily 3D printed. Add some over the counter, properly manufactered components and you basically have a proper gun (with a rifled barrel and all), and not a smoothbore, open bolt SMG. 3D printing is so cheap these days, and as long as their gun laws don't change, why bother?

>That pic
For those who don't know, that's a drop-in auto-sear for AR-15's. You need a specific set of components for it to work, but it's really simple.

>Surely the ATF wouldn't be alerted to all these inconspiquous upper receiver and barrels and 3D pringint materials i am buying

it's like i'm taking crazy pills here

Yeah, especially when metal 3-d printers come out.

>mfw bongs ban 3d printers

There's a company that sells you a preprogrammed little CNC machine that will fashion an actual metal gun for about $1700. Really, as many guns as you want. Untraceable. Unregistered. No serial numbers.

Are you stupid or something?

Do you not have an argument or something?

>melting steel is not something you can do in the back yard

yes it is. Aluminum is everywhere now, thermite is easy to make.

>gun parts

Alright, I suppose you've got a point here if SHTF bad enough. I did mention gun laws being as they are now though.

>3D printing materials

Shit nigger, it's just plastic. A bag of pellets would be enough to make dozens of receivers (you'd have to extrude your own filament in this case though. And what would they say about your steel if they are gonna bitch about some plastic?

they already want to ban the combustion engine and knives, of course they will eventually ban 3d printers and every machine tool with it until bongs are helplessly reliant on the state and completely incapable of crafting anything themselves.

they should just print makarov copies, one of the most simple guns out there.

>Are 3D Printed Guns the of the future?
Highly likley in the future, especially once we're printing shit with exotic polymers and nano-tubes etc, we'd be able to print off items to an atomic level of tolrence, creating the most accurate weapons/barrels ever, well atleast the military and arms manufacturers will.

It doesn't have to.

Couldn't you place the printer in an inert gas chamber?

You'll need 3d printed bullets as well fool.

The bullet itself can be cast from lead very easily. The brass casing (in non-necked calibers anyway) could be turned on a lathe from brass stock. It would be slow to produce each one but you can do it.

The plastic isnt as durable as steel dummy

You're thinking small time the biggest thing here is weapons BEYOND what the military has.

Eventually weapons technology and personal manufacturing technology will reach a point where someone with just a bit of technical knowhow and higher end consumer grade equipment could build weaponry more terrible than anything the government could admit to having.

And once that equipment gets advanced enough to produce itself we will enter a golden age of untraceable weapons.

No you don't. Bullets are bought over the counter.

Sure, but I'd rather use a titanium-cobalt alloy instead.

If we're just building lower receivers it's not a highly stressed component. Someone made one out of a plastic kitchen cutting board just to prove it could be done.

Yeah, that was a pretty funny project.

youtube.com/watch?v=3chSzLxPuzU

It is probably not that hard to make ammo, compared to the gun itself.

pretty sure nobodies gonna be 3d printing plasma rifles or whatever but that's a fun theory

>implying a sten isn't a half measure.
It's literally a cheap stamped submachine gun. 3D printed guns are the future of insurgencies. You pass a few out, use them to take out someone with a better gun and then take that gun.

>Aluminum gun

The AR-15 is made of aluminum, ya dingus.
The gun in that pic is a 10/22, a fucking .22lr plinker. The receivers for those survive hundreds of rounds even if you print them in fucking PLA.

>russians produce millions of pen guns at home in the 90s
>burgers still trying to mass produce homemade guns

i feel ashamed for my nation
slavorum.org/diy-weapons-the-most-striking-and-unusual-weapon-samples-from-russia-seized-by-police/

themoscowtimes.com/news/lathe-factory-workers-jailed-for-making-lethal-pen-guns-12474

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9480119/Russian-pensioner-kills-neighbour-with-James-Bond-style-pen-gun.html

rferl.org/a/1053137.html

You realize we can 3D print metal right? Right now is not so good, but it will become as good as polymer ones

how hard could it be to make your own ammo without 3d printing?

the only hard part is gunpowder/other propellant

yeah but you can just buy that stuff right?

>Complicated geometries can be more easily reproduced with CNC (and 3D printers are CNC machines).

True, but complicated geometries aren't necessary for producing a working submachine gun. A simple open-bolt 9mm is quite easy to build with only hand tools after only a few months of dedicated studying and practicing.

>of the future
They are the Present my friend. Get with the times.

yes
desperate situation and some explosives like rdx can be used instead of gunpowder

but if you can't get gunpowder and need to make it for whatever it becomes somewhat complicated and you need one or two people who know what they are doing for reliable results

I heard that weapons such as glocks and m-16 and AR-15's are specifically engineered to facilitate CNC milling unlike AK-shits and other crap that are casted.
Assuming one buys any required springs and screws from a metalworking manufacturer I bet its quite possible to build the rest with a CNC. What should be hard is the fucking ammo. I know brass boils at a higher temperature than led and its a fucking alloy so its a no go and one can make bullets out of led fairly easily, but the casings (correct amount of gunpowder, primer and the brass itself) must be hell to manufacture at home.

They will be if you let Democrats win elections

How do rednecks and alaskan bums make homemade casings?

>AK-shits and other crap that are crasted
you can make an ak almost if not completely out of sheet metal
someone on /k/ made one out of shovels and minor general hardware store supplies

That bullet model is for a CNC, it's really simple to machine bullets, but it's easier to 3D print them. The hard part is the propellant
>you could buy that stuff right?
You could literally save you pee in a bag with vegetative waste (grass, leaves, etc) and do your own gunpowder, if you have a farm it is even easier, but yeah you can buy it or fabricate propellants from other compounds

It's not how they are made in industrial quantities but if you can't make this with a lathe from a piece of stock you are probably retarded.

The hell? Can you bump the archives?

You mean you grind the whole interior?

(forgot pic) that's all you have to do to 3D print, unpload the CAD model as .stl or whatever your software reads, hit print, wait, and make sure the file doesn't get broken in the feeder, if it does just replace it

They usually don't. They just reload brass that's already been shot.

>You mean you grind the whole interior?
No, you use a combination of drill to enlarge a hole in the cartridge, then a reamer or a boring bar to finish the hole to the correct size and slope angle. Just look up videos on how lathes work.

Well, drill it out with a drill bit or an end mill, but yes.

>Attached is a 3D printed AR-10 receiver being test-fired.
what would happen if the pastic failed? would it cause injury to the shooter? what would be the most likely type of failure?

Luty was possibly the most based man ever to live, born a no-gunz Bong, he just started from scratch and made his own submachine gun, no fucks given.

I couldn't find the /k/ thread but here's the closest equivalent I found
northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/diy-shovel-ak-photo-tsunami-warning.179192/
used pre-made barrel here but they can be made by hand via lathe or forge-welded from sheet metal around an iron rod

>what would happen if the pastic failed? would it cause injury to the shooter? what would be the most likely type of failure?

The lower receiver of an AR-15 is low stress part. I think the most likely type of failure is your butt stock cracks off, and the worst failure imaginable might be the bolt flying out the rear of the gun and into your face, but your injury is probably just bruising.

youtu.be/O4K4l0KzRfg

Nah, wouldn't hurt the shooter. The pressure is all contained inside the upper receiver.

>no

This is what's possible right now. In the future it will absolutely be the way. People will start designed and fabricating their own guns left and right. You can't stop it.

No plastic is bullshit
You want to know what guns will look like in the future go look at the original Mass Effect

you've heard of physics, chemistry and engineering haven't you Jamal?
>inb4 muh dick

Nah, as long as hardware stores stock generic steel tubes, screws, and springs, it will almost always be more economical to fabricate a gun using traditional methods.

3D is certainly good for complex 3D parts, but the fact of the matter is that you DON'T NEED complex 3D parts to make a working automatic weapon.

Fucking hell m8 thats some craftsman/welder tier work.

Thats what we have been discussing mutt.

the printed piece is the only piece that requiers a background check. So in essence people are saying if the government makes a master list of gun owners people can just print the lower and they wont have to register. Also it is not illegal to possess a weapon YOU manufactured.

>it will almost always be more economical to fabricate a gun using traditional methods

Of course, and I don't discount other home made guns. The French resistance is a really good case in point on that subject. But in the future it will be economical enough to just download a gun. The laser sintering tech that lets you print a 1911 out of stainless steel will eventually fit in a garage.

the ak was also made to be as simple as possible so it could be fabricated in any soviet metal shop that had the most basic of tools
it really is an amazing feat of engineering

That would make super brittle cast iron parts. Steel parts have to be forged, milled, or stamped. Casting is fine for aluminum, though.

cor blimey i could foinally prints me a cutlery set

>save you pee in a bag with vegetative waste (grass, leaves, etc)
wut how does that even work

using a cnc to complete an 80%?
You can buy a real CNC for a few grand and with your dxf files you can just make everything from scratch. 10 guns later and your machine has paid for itself.

In fact, just drop them off in the ghetto as a hobby.

No. 3D printed guns are shit. We will kill our enemies and take their guns using the guns we already have.

Kind of having thoughts of making a basic shotgun out of pipes since thats the easiest I could do. Might make a double barrel variant so enemies would get sawed in half from the blast.

>it's like i'm taking crazy pills here
It makes more sense once you realize American gun laws were patched together over decades by lawmakers who mostly don't know shit about guns. We have some strange restrictions and loopholes. Pic related, that homemade AK's receiver and stock was made from an old shovel

The near future no. Current 3d printing you can not produce a full firearm without it breaking from stresses when firing and heat. Maybe in 30 years if metal printing has a big jump.

Its just easier to CNC or mill out what you need. Or if you made a sheet metal assembly line