Monogatari

Explain something to me. If Karen knew everything about Kanbaru, wouldn't she also by extension know who Senjougahara was?

Wouldn't she then already know her older brother was dating the other half of the Valhalla combo?

>If Karen knew everything about Kanbaru
She didn't.

Wasn't she part of some sort of rabid fanclub that stalked her and took photos? Wouldn't she know at the very least that Kanbaru was part of the Valhalla combo?

Yeah, they took photos of Kanbaru and that was how Karen recognized Araragi was friends with her. And maybe the fan club knew Senjougahara and Kanbaru had been friends 2 years ago and that they become friends again more recently. But it doesn't mean Karen (who is quite thick) would work out Senjougahara and Araragi were dating.

Ok everybody threads over go home.

I got the impression that the Valhalla Combo were fairly famous (at least amongst that crowd) prior to Senjougahara losing her emotions.

Of course, Karen is also very stupid, so who knows.
On the otje

>on the other oje

Ignore whatever the fuck that was.

Kanbaru is such a good wife

Imagine what a relationship between her and Senjougahara would've actually been like.

Of course, she fell in love with pre-illness Gahara, who was a completely different person, so it probably wouldn't go over too well.

Is implied that the reason why kanbaru is a pervert is because she used to be friends with Crab. So i think it would be pretty amusing

I wonder what middle school Crab was like. Perverted, yes, but was she happy, energetic?
why did Nisio waste time on loli Hanekawa when we could've learned a lot about Crab if we met her loli version instead

Nisio doesn't care about Crab and neither should you.

Because Nisio couldn't care less about Crab, honestly.

So, how did Senjougahara grew her hair in a span of a day? or is this just Shaft being inconsistent?

D-delet this.

It could've been a weave, in which case the question is how she found a weave that matches up perfectly with her odd colored hair.

Alternatively, she's Bayonetta.

It's supposed to be some meta joke, they shoved in too many in that episode for my taste.

Shaft not paying attention to how hair grows, Araragi's ought to have been steadily getting longer since Kizu to get to how long it is in Hana. Hana is less than a month after Ougi Dark.

Wasnt she a elite student and, like, super popular?

Yup.

Considering she's not anymore, she's probably undergone some serious personality changes. Maybe she used to be a genki tomboy with a smart streak. We'll probably never know.

Truly best

She is way too sexually liberated. Sometimes it gets annoying.

>two girls
>who both form a team together
>one is a tomboy and one is a smart girl
>one of them has long hair in their most famous incarnation and one has short hair
Who am I talking about?

Okay grandma, I'll say Hail Mary for her.

Why is Kanbaru alone in Musubi?

Why was her weighing less such a big deal? She could jump from large heights and shit.

Crab just sounds like a big baby.

Man, I miss the way fanservice was done in Bake. There was a lot more conversational teasing, a lot of inexplicit, but sexually suggestive scenes. I mean, I don't hate what we got from Nise onward or anything, but it just feels more generic and blatant. There isn't that wit about it.

this desu
she needs to be purged

It's not just physical weight dumbass, what's the point in that. The crab took away her emotions relating to her mother and what happened to her.

Monkey says a load of shit, I can't remember her actually doing anything though.

She almost raped rrg once. That's the closest contact with a girl he has ever had.

What about the time he fucked Crab?

When was that?

End of Tsukimonogatari has Crab shove him onto the ground of her room on Valentine's Day. Then the camera cuts away. They fucked.

They could have passionately made out and cuddled.

I suppose you're not necessarily wrong, but considering that Crab has basically said "yeah I'll marry you whenever" on at least two occasions I would assume that they fucked.

When he walked her home gently

Cute

This sorta stuff is why I don't really care for how Japan does romance in anime and why I don't care for the parts of this series that heavily focus on Araragi's romance with Gahara or Shinobu. Writers there never go for relationships where the two characters involved are each other's best friends and easily open up to each other (like Araragi and Kanbaru in this case) but always the relationships filled with un-fun and stilted dialogue where it always feels like the two characters involved are spacing each other out all the time (like Araragi and Gahara or Shinobu), in any other media it'd be the former type of relationship that'd be the romance because it's a lot more believable frankly.

It's not something specific to Monogatari, most romance anime/manga do the same sort of thing. Is it because consistently writing small talk is hard and you don't have to do it with characters like Gahara or Shinobu? (though Nisio's pretty decent at this one specific thing I think)

By Japanese standards they're all plenty young enough to still be single.

I think the romance between Araragi and Senjougahara is actually really well done. Normally I might agree with you, but the two of them have fairly good banter and reasons for liking each other.

Crab is initially a very cold person, yes, and a romance like that wouldn't work in the long term. This changes when Araragi restores her emotions and she slowly begins to warm up to him.

By the time Owari comes around, she's warmed up to him enough to be able to carry a conversation all on her own. She was never really a tsundere to begin with, just cold and bitter from the last three or so years of her life, and now she's warm.

This is the reason why Japanese writers (and to some extent Western) do it; two characters changing through the context of their relationship. If anything, the only flaw their relationship has writing wise is that she doesn't effect him the same way he affects her.

Writing wise their relationship is one-sided, since Araragi wouldn't even properly respond to her wit or develop in the same way she does. It's just that her development as a character works only through the fact that she's his girlfriend, which is kind of sad. Araragi is more like a silent object of her growth as a character. Compare it to wester portrayal of romance. "When Harry Met Sally", for example. There, characters interact in a proper way and grow on each other more and more each time they meet, they affect each other equally, they shape each other into better people, they finally have great banter with equally witty lines from each side. In Hitagi's case, she had similarly great chemistry with Kaiki, with subtle romance and all, making Hitagi End one of the best arcs in the entire series. It's just that Araragi isn't really suited for that type of romantic development as a character at this point. He's like a robot with a single program "I love Hitagi, don't know why though" and that's all we get from him. It seems that, aside from the girlfriend gimmick, Nisio doesn't know what else to do with Hitagi, not does he seem to care.

The issue is that Araragi never actually confides in Senjougahara about his problems.

Never once does he say "I'm not a good person," or anything of the sort, to her. She confides with him about almost everything, (she even tells him about Hitagi End once it's all over) but he tells her nothing.

Because of this it's a completely one sided relationship where one half learns a lot and changes because of their partner, and the other half doesn't change at all.

There'd be no drama if Kanbaru was his girlfriend. She wouldn't even be upset by Araragi lewding the dead lolis or his sister's, she'd just insist on joining in if anything.

It's a running gag (that Shaft somewhat downplays in the anime) that they unintentionally come off more like a normal couple than the actual couple of the series. I'd argue that Suruga Devil went even further with that though it might not have been Nisio's intent to, the two being each other's main drive to push themselves harder so that they don't disappoint each other and all that.

Araragi doesn't know about all of Hitagi End. He knows more about it from Yotsugi than he does from Senjougahara too.

He mentions it in Ougi End, things he certainly didn't figure out from the Yotsugi episode of Koyomi.

He doesn't know that Gahara was the one who contacted Kaiki.

>She confides with him about almost everything
She doesn't, she just stays silent and acts as Araragi's yes man to everything he does because she's too scared to rock the boat in their relationship. She confides more in Hanekawa than she does in Araragi on top of taking advantage of Kanbaru's need for someone to open up to have someone to spy on him.

I guess it's because 2/3rds of the series focuses on criticizing Araragi's character and mindset but you guys are too scared to criticize any of the girls in this series not called Nadeko I've noticed.

>So, how did Senjougahara grew her hair in a span of a day? or is this just Shaft being inconsistent?
>This is her secret!

She used kaiki's sperm as her regular hair conditioner.

I just rewatched the scene. You're right.

Literally all of Senjougahara's character growth after her illness is because of Araragi.

There's a reason I said almost everything. She confides ultimately in him within Bake (where almost all of her development takes place to begin with) and we don't even really see her interactions with Cat until S2.

Tsukihi transferring her hair to Koyomi is the only reasonable explanation here.

We don't see her interactions with Cat until S2 but it's mentioned back in Nise that the two increasingly hang out together and neither of them tell Araragi what they're up to or something. I may be misremembering the scene though admittedly, I haven't watched Nise in years, I'm pretty certain that there was something to that effect stated there though.

Thanks! I'll be adding this to my collection!

>BAKE Dude Spotted!

> I mean, I don't hate what we got from Nise onward or anything, but it just feels more generic and blatant.
Nise and Tsuki are the only ones I could imagine anyone calling over-indulgent though. The Hachikuji scenes actually get less explicit over the time even, I believe a scene in Bake involving her had to be censored or some shit.

>She almost raped rrg once. That's the closest contact with a girl he has ever had.
True! True! So very true! That is our DT!
>End of Tsukimonogatari has Crab shove him onto the ground of her room on Valentine's Day. Then the camera cuts away. They fucked.
You were right up to the sentence "Then the camera cuts away.". The next words after that were you mind playing tricks on you.
>What about the time he fucked Crab?
I supposed you mean when Araragi walked her home gently!

The Snail scene at the beginning of Owari 2 was pretty explicit, I think the way it aired may have let them get away with it though.

Also Snail just speaks to Araragi on some carnal level, he can't control himself.

>Araragi doesn't know about all of Hitagi End. He knows more about it from Yotsugi than he does from Senjougahara too.
He hides stuff from Hitagi and she hides stuff from him Seems fair to me. I don't mind Hitagi having secret dates with Kaiki. In fact, I love seeing Hitagi all shy and happy whenever they meet..

I was just saying that Araragi didn't know everything about Hitagi End like that other user said he did, that's all.

>I was just saying that Araragi didn't know everything about Hitagi End like that other user said he did, that's all.
I was just pointing out that both of them keeps secrets from each other.

That user probably is on the "my waifu can't do anything wrong" so that user places all the blame on Araragi. Whereas both of them are doing something wrong.

>I was just pointing out that both of them keeps secrets from each other.
You're not incorrect but I don't think anyone was denying that. I didn't explicitly mention it because I don't really care about the Araragi x Gahara (or Shinobu) bit of the story much, I end up finding the dialogue and story a lot more interesting when he's around almost anyone else in the cast but those two. I don't especially dislike those two as standalone characters either.

I honestly can't figure out if you're falseflagging or if you legitimately love the Kaiki/Crab relationship.

>*thicc