What are your favorite Miyazaki/Takahata productions? Either in Ghibli, or during the Nippon Animation years

What are your favorite Miyazaki/Takahata productions? Either in Ghibli, or during the Nippon Animation years.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F9Ncp0dD73A
musescore.com/user/8065776/scores/3595476
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I actually love every Ghibli film desu. They just make me feel good. My favorites are

>Spirited away
>Only yesterday
>Kaguya-hime
>Princess mononoke
>Ponyo
>Nausicaa
>My neighbors the Yamadas
>The wind rises
>When marnie was there

>Yamadas
Underrated film.

I love everything by both of them, my two favourite directors, but my favourites are Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and The Wind Rises.

I agree. I also think "Only Yesterday" is underrated.

Does Heidi the Girl of the Alps count?

Everything Takahata has directed is underrated, at least in the west.
Minus Grave of Fireflies

sure does, user.

Whisper of the Heart.
Shizuku's fear of being unable to properly succeed in her dream has been a fear of every human being since young and hits me hard everytime I watch it and I love that the movie can maintain that classic Ghibli whimsy even without the use of any magical elements.
Haven't seen any Takahata outside of Grave and Kaguya but I wasn't a fan of either unfortunately.

Watch Yamadas and Only Yesterday. Underrated gems desu.

Ghibli is fucking trash

You're really gay

I like them all, so most of the time I kind of can't decide on my absolute favourites.
I haven't seen any other tv-anime from either than just Sherlock Hound, and that can only partially be attributed to Miyazaki.
I should really get around watching Mirai Shonen Conan at least.

Bad taste.

Conan is awesome, you'll love it. OG Lupin and Heidi/Marco/Anne as well.

Favorite Miyazaki is Nausicaa.
favorite Ghibli is Whisper of the Heart.
Favorite Miyazaki's Ghibli is Porco Rosso or Laputa.
Favorite Takahata is Only Yesterday.

Just thinking about these movies made me want to watch them again.

I like most of them, really. My favourite Miyazaki's are probably Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle, probably mainly from the sheer amount of times I watched them. The Wind Rises is also extremely good and I really want to rewatch it sometime. When it comes to Takahata, well, I don't know whether I really love Grave of the Fireflies, or hate it for making me cry until I felt ill, which is a respectable feat. The final scene is pretty haunting too.

bad taste for not liking fucking stupid Ghibli? All their movies are overrated shit exaggerated by american cunts that don't know any better.

Future Boy Conan is a masterpiece and it's an absolute crime Miyazaki didn't direct more TV in his prime.

the only right answer

Yeah bad taste because you have an irrational hatred for an animation studio you fucking loser.

Nice. I just watched this the other day.

>american
Pretty sure their films wouldn't be highly rated in the US if they weren't already highly rated in Japan.

This movie's great, I've seen it a bunch of times. Takahata's pre-Ghibli filmography is super underrated even by his fans.

Akage no Anne is pretty highly rated though

I'm thinking of like, Horus and Orochi, Chie, Gauche and Panda Kopanda

The US only knows Miyazaki anyway and, even then, only Totoro and Spirited Away. All of Ghibli's other movies are unknown to them.

I'd say Kiki too.

i'd say Howl's might be more recognized than Kiki's but, who can say?

>Oscars
Even in that shitshow the best animated feature award is completely in a league of its own.

Gauche the Cellist is the only Takahata I really like.
I love more Miyazaki, Kiki is my favourite.

it's funny though

What a boring person.

Well, to be fair, Oscars are a marketing show for american movies. Foreign films end up in animated feature only to fill the category.
Spirited Away winning is a complete anomaly.
What's more upsetting about the awards than the disregard for quality is how it's thought to be a big deal even outside of USA.

How the fuck did these people ever get on the Oscar committee in the first place?

> tfw no one will remember our movie

Oscars are a joke in general, don't think too much about it.
If you want actual worthwhile evaluation of cinema look for proper film festivals and awards

I do user. Marnie was peak comfy, its such a shame it seemed to go right under the radar of pretty much everybody in Japan and in the west.

What do Ghibli/Miyazaki fags think about Megumi Ishitani?
Student movie: youtube.com/watch?v=F9Ncp0dD73A

She is currently an assistant director for DBS, and quickly raising through the ranks.

The twist kind of ruined it. It would've been better if it was left mysterious. It would've been best if it was yuri

Why not both?

Marnie is my favorite Ghibli. I'm a sucker for coming of age stories.

Grandma incest is not okay!

I have an entire folder which suggests otherwise.

It's a lot easier for me to list what I don't like.
I didn't care for:
Ponyo
Howl no Ugoku Shiro
Kaze Tachinu
Panda Kopanda

I also don't care for any of the films by minor Ghibli directors, which Miyazaki usually scripts or produces.
Everything else is kino tier. I particularly love their 80's films and World Masterpiece Theater shows.

>Panda Kopanda
I really loved that one as a kid. I think it was my first anime probably.

Howl is the only one that I really didn't like.
Kaze was okay, I'm not a fan of depressing stuff though.
I fucking loved Ponyo.

Cagliostro

musescore.com/user/8065776/scores/3595476

Porch rosso is my absoute #1

Porco*

Can anyone explain the basic literal plot of this movie?
I get that metaphorically it's about the relation between humans and the sea (and nature at large?), and how they can coexist peacefully if they can truly love one another--you know, usual Miyazaki shit.
But what exactly was the deal with the scientist and his fear of Ponyo causing the destruction of the world if she became human? I mean the moon was really falling and causing massive floods, too. (Although, isn't that kind of what he'd want, considering he stated earlier that he wanted to do pretty much that and replace humanity with the ocean? I don't actually know why he would personally appose this, unless the moon was going to eventually crash?)
It seems really convoluted, especially when trying to explain this.

doesn't matter. It's literally a pure kids movie so the plot doesn't need to matter.

Oh ok.

>But what exactly was the deal with the scientist and his fear of Ponyo causing the destruction of the world if she became human?

>“For example, [the character of] Fujimoto, Ponyo’s father in the film, is really [animation director] Katsuya Kondo. He’s also having difficulties dealing with his daughter. He is being treated like a mule or a pony. He’s very restless, just like Fujimoto in the way he acts. That’s the kind of atmosphere that brought about Ponyo.”

Miyazaki's magnum opus

MARCO

This animation made me really sad.
Shit was literally child abuse man

>one slap
>child abuse
She was being a brat honestly.

Not to mention that the movie is composed of snapshots of her life. Obviously getting hit by a parent is something you would remember.

>nobody says ponpoko

It was literally one slap.

Pom Poko is literally a masterpiece.

Pompoko is amazing.

What are your favorite scenes from different Ghibli films? I haven't figured mine all out yet but some of them are

Wind Rises
>The frantic hug scene between Horikoshi and his wife

Spirited Away
>When Haku figures out his name while him and Chihiro are falling while holding hands

When Marnie was there
>Marnie's entire backstory

Howls moving castle
>When Howl tells Sophie her hair looks like starlight

Only yesterday
>The entire sunflower farm scene

From up on poppy hill
>the entire beginning where Umi is shown making breakfast and preparing everything

Totoro
>When the granny states that the sun blessed the vegetables the girls were eating

Kaguya
>When she finally breaks free and just keeps running while the robes keep falling

Nausicaa
>When she walks among the gold Ohm

Ocean waves
>the final scene where the main characters make eye contact with each other from across the platform

Pom poko
>the entire ghost parade

You just posted it.
Pic related for Porco Rosso.

I like pompoko

Probably my favorite scene in anime, period.

I think about this scene all the time.

>GOAT
Mononoke, Kaguya
>Top Tier
Only Yesterday, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service
>Good tier
Ponyo, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Laputa, Totoro, Wind Rises
>Meh tier
Howl's, Lupin

Lots of other great Ghiblis not directed by them. Whisper of the Heart, Arrietty and Marnie range from solid to great. Didn't care much for Poppy Hill's plot though.

Honestly, the part of this that makes me the angriest is that he's so much of a cunt about it that he admits to opting out of his son's earliest experiences with going to the movies.

>Porco Rosso
>that low
>Lupin
>meh
What the heck

>lupin
>meh

Porco Rosso is way overrated imo. It's pretty good but way less ambitious than any of Miyazaki's other films. It's a fun, light-hearted movie but that's pretty much it.

>fun
>light-hearted
I don't think we watched the same film. Porco Rosso is Miyazaki in his absolute prime. You can tell he poured his heart into that film especially.

he's not wrong though
despite the production value and animation etc. castle of cagliostro is a really average movie.

Only Yesterday is the best one by far followed by Nausicaa, Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service

>Only Yesterday is the best one by far
yes
>followed by Nausicaa, Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service
fuck no

It's one of the greatest adventure films of all time.
I don't see how anyone can come out of watching Cagliostro with a "meh" opinion. I just don't see it.

you're wrong
name one memorable scene other than the opening chase

Not either of them, but putting Cagliostro on the same level as the jumbled mess that was Howl's Moving Castle is a crime I won't stand for.

Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away

Uh maybe one of the most iconic scenes in all of anime is when Lupin dives off the clock tower to save Clarisse.

>Kiki's Delivery Service
Overrated.

I can't remember it and can't even find a reference image on youtube. so much for iconic

>spaghetti eating
>lupin scales the castle
>flower flag scene
>when lupin falls through that trap door
>clocktower fight & dive
>forehead kiss
????
Memorable scenes to me and I haven't seen the film in a couple years.

honestly I found it to be terribly forgettable.
probably because I didn't care about anything that was happening in the plot.
I do remember the scaling sequence though.

Also when the ancient city is revealed

The flower flag scene you absolute pleb.

>can't even find a reference image on youtube

There used to be a whole lot of clips, but TMS copyright claimed most of them.

Don't forget when Lupin gets shot.

Anne and Heidi

you know, I think Castle in the Sky is underrated too.

It's pretty overlooked I think.

The Wind Rises...
*walks away after flaunting m superior intellect"

Lupin is the best thing Miyazaki worked on.