Why do people call it Puella Magi?

Why do people call it Puella Magi?
What the fuck is wrong with Mahou Shoujo?

Traditionally Mahou Shoujo have stupid names, so they gave Madoka a stupid name too.

Because Puella Magi Madoka Magica is it's original title
Also learn latin

Are there really no other anime with mahou shojo in the title? There must be some.

>learn latin
Please don't

Why not?
It's fun.

The original title is Japanese, Mahou Shoujo.

It's Puella Magi in all the promotional material

>Also learn latin

But then he'dd cringe at the name since it's not translated properly.

breaking other languages is proper japanese

But imagine the possibilities of being absolute insufferable smug Latin expert on anonymous imageboard.
LIBERATE TUTEMET EX INFERIS!

Anime does weird things like that note Mobile Suit Gundam vs. Kidou Senshi Gundam

>Using spaces.
>In Latin.

laughinganimewhores.jpeg

Spaces were exclusively a crutche left for the kids in a similar way as in modern Japanese, or like the accents in Greek or Russian.

There are a bunch of anime titled "Mahou Shoujo: ___" from the late 90s/early 00s, some of them spinoffs. Nanoha is an obvious one.
Sailor Moon birthed a lot of random shit.

Not an expert, just posted something others also deemed a bad translation that is somewhat known even if not anime.

The proper title according to google translate is Magi Madokes Magical Girl

"People called Romanes, they go the house?"

heh

Because it's the name of the fucking show, you moron, why not just call it by the literal translation at that point

>Magical girl Madoka Magica

In fact, just say magical girl and shut up

Madoka? More like MaDORKa, bitch just sign the contract LMAO

It's just another language's word for Mahou Shoujo. It also implies that the MGs have been around for longer than the english or japanese languages in this setting.

Holy shit that's retarded trying to read script continua gives me a headache

>The reader would typically already have memorized the text
>"a crutche left for the kids in a similar way as in modern Japanese"
wha

It's perfectly legible but it takes a bit of time.
Likewise, the guy who was reading the scroll was also the guy who wrote the scroll in the first place.

>Likewise, the guy who was reading the scroll was also the guy who wrote the scroll in the first place.
But what if you're pulling the scroll out of a library or something and now you need to waste shitloads of time trying to figure out where words begin and end. At least in traditional chinese/japanese script, each character is a whole word, so script continua doesn't really induce the same limitations as doing it with western letters.

Maybe because that's the name of the show? Nah, can't be.

it's perfectly legible but was changed for a reason more sensible than "for children", it directly impacted spreading of information without the author's personal help.

>But what if you're pulling the scroll out of a library or something and now you need to waste shitloads of time trying to figure out where words begin and end.

It's nowhere near as bad when it's what you're dealing with your entire life. Compare how ridiculous Japanese looked to you when you first looked at some text and nowadays.

Also, traditional Japanese written entirely in Chinese characters was as much of a cluster-fuck as you may think it is.
But who cares, this is the Roman Empire we're talking about. Literacy was relatively reserved. Same for pre-Kana Japan.

Heck, making the language harder would be seen as a plus in those days from the side of those who maintained their social status because they were people who had mastered it.

Should I watch the madoka tv show or the movies?

I watched both.
I dunno, toss a coin.

>it's perfectly legible but was changed for a reason more sensible than "for children"

It was changed long after it had no longer been anyone's language. As far as Romans were concerned, it was solely for kids.
Modern Latin is a different language with a different purpose. I agree argue whether it is Latin or not would be kind of pointless in the end, though.

Madoka Magica is the non autistic way to say it.

>Compare how ridiculous Japanese looked to you when you first looked at some text and nowadays.
i don't like this comparison because alternation between kanji and kana is very helpful in marking some word boundaries, a stream of latin letters is not.

>Heck, making the language harder would be seen as a plus in those days
this is fair but still establishes spaces as more than a crutch, even if they would have been seen that way

There is no point in watching the movies, they just summarize the show, but make everything ultra rushed and not as good (like the Gurren Lagaan movies). Watch the show.

This. The show is much better paced; the movies were only meant to catch people up (read: cash in) on Rebellion.
>Watch main series -> Rebellion, skip first two movies

This.

Anyone playing the new kamige?

No, it's fucking trash

I am trying to get Yachiyo but failing.

I'm still playing through Chapter 1. The rates are fucking hell.

The story isn't so bad so far, it's what keeping me interested.

What is your favourite Madoka ship?

I was going to until I saw that Kyouko is missing from the gacha

Whatever you want.

This. Why can people not make their own decisions or even just do both?

Latin's a pretty cool language desu

Its cooler if it sounds foreing