Is animation quality getting worse as time goes on?

Is animation quality getting worse as time goes on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9JDzlhW3XTM
youtube.com/watch?v=Km45Nus0GJE
youtube.com/watch?v=-gcyZc3bhyM
youtube.com/watch?v=rR1cMPnMcaY
youtube.com/watch?v=SSEyayuGv5o
youtube.com/watch?v=-Hw0bUwh4-M
a.pomf.cat/wbebym.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, just like in the past it depends on the budget.

Everything falls into decline eventually. Quality lasts as long as people can maintain it.

robot animators when

This, also since animation is an entertainment industry ultimately whit the idea of consuption, cheapness and overinflation is bound to happen only for profit.

Not all animation is good because not all animation wants or can be good.

No

fpbp

No, there's more creative animation now in fact.

They need to push animators more. Now they think they're deserving of higher wages for their mediocre shit when they shouldn't be getting paid until they pump out detailed frames and not this bland, paint bucket fill tier shit.

junior animators are literally being worked to death user

>more creative animation
>post generic fight scene

Try watching more anime.

As they should be. Older animators should be as well if we want the same level of quality as in old shows. Budget isn't everything if your entire staff is shit.

Japan will never be able to animate on the same level as americans.

youtube.com/watch?v=9JDzlhW3XTM

I sure wish anime fight scenes were more generic if that's the case. Rarely do you get animation with such an interesting off-model style since most viewers want their characters to look stiff and pretty.

Ah, that's where you'd be wrong. Even the western world has acknowledged Japan's superiority in animation.

>fake image
Americans > Japanese at animating

It's not just budget. In the US there is a severe lack of talented animators, I read an article some time ago about how art schools had basically no talented and skilled animators left to teach a new generation the ins and outs of the medium. Partly because of the decline of 2D films, the rise of 3D animation, and because of certain school philosophies. I don't know how the situation is in japan, but if budgets and salaries don't rise, people won't want to be animators.

If you have talent, you can make something good even with lower budget. But no amount of money can help untalented individuals make something good.

Sure they were decades ago, but today it's the Japanese who are the masters of 2D animation.

No, it's getting better. And more animation is made than ever.

Awful old animation simply gets forgotten, leaving only gems and creating an illusion that it was better back then.

Remember when animators knew how to animate with detail?

This post right here gets it. This same problem that the US has had is happening in Japan as well now though. The payroll is so low for the average animator in japan its pretty much unlivable. Add in the fact that its so much cheaper to outsource it to a korean sweatshop and the animation industry in Japan is likely to see a sharp decline soon if nothing is done.

The japanese system for marketing animation is strangling animation studios as even the most successful of them run on a shoestring budget. If 3D catches on there like it did in the west traditional animation could die there as well.

>Awful old animation simply gets forgotten, leaving only gems and creating an illusion that it was better back then.

This is also very true.

Americans > Japanese at rotoscoping and unnecessarily exaggerated movement and expressions

>cherrypicking

I could compile good shots from a Uwe Boll film and compare it to shitty shots from a Spielberg film and make Boll look like a genius. This kind of bait is stale as fuck.

>its a lets pretend Kyoani doesnt exist thread

rember how most of those shots on the left were still or scenes with minimal movement OVAs?

I know this is a cherry-picked bait image but
Why is it always dark, "mature" anime that gets posted in old v. new comparison shots? Why not lighthearted SoL?

When will Ryouchimo make another anime?

>Kyoani is considered by many to have the best animation
Truly, this is the worst timeline.

Got anything to back that up? Shows like Utena were 3 cour, and managed to do so even with the expense of cel animation and production space required.

He's been hanging out at Toei lately to supervise some CG animations so odds are his next project will be some full CG anime.

Goddamn nigga that picture shut me up good. You know, I'm the type of guy who nary needs to take but a half a glance at an opinionated infographic full of tiny ass images and opinion and does a 360 and a backwards moonwalk faster than a broken weathercock. Makes Sup Forums as a whole pretty interesting place to browse, since my entire perception of all that surrounds me completely flips itself on a bi-weekly basis.

Truly the Citizen Kane of our time

People in the industry have worked in horrible conditions. Pushing them further will break them. They'll say fuck it and quit. And a lot of people did already years ago. What's left are the tattered remains. People are sick of it. The dead horse has been beaten until there's no horse left.

>rotoscoping
>unnecessarily exaggerated movement and expressions
Sorry, idiots opinions don't count.

Sorry bro your opoin is gay and your a faget gtfo of \a\ fag

In modern times? Yes. Look at VE for a good example or post something better yourself.

Over Miyazaki's dead body apparently

>someone posts good animation
>contrarian has to criticize because it's not a high quality still frame

we all know still frames are the hallmark of animation. A still, unmoving picture is indeed the pinnacle of moving pictures.

Maybe?

>contrarian
How about you actually, quite literally, watch more anime? Off model fight scenes are not anything impressive, you can stay on model and make it stylish instead of taking the lazy route and calling it creative. Look at Mind Game for a good example of this type of animation without loss of quality, even without fight scenes it manages the same type of scene without resorting to poorly drawn keyframes. Now fuck off instead of pretending you know what you're talking about and getting upset you got called out.

because sol is for faggot weebs unlike the manly man shows being shown

I like spread tits like that, I wish chests had heart shaped vagins so I could lick and fuck a girl while holding and spreading her chest-cheeks.

What is the best animation from KyoAni?

>\a\
kek

I don't have the webm but Shouko vs Shouya is impressive.

With smaller budgets, more and more studios are outsourcing to crappy 3rd party sweatshops like the recent Dragonball episodes made by some place in the Philippines

Is new birdy a remake or a continuation? I remember watching it more than 10 years ago

what series is this

There has always been good and bad animation.
youtube.com/watch?v=Km45Nus0GJE
youtube.com/watch?v=-gcyZc3bhyM
here are some bad animations from the past.
youtube.com/watch?v=rR1cMPnMcaY
youtube.com/watch?v=SSEyayuGv5o
and here are some good animation scenes from the present.

Stylistically, I really like the old drawing style of anime but that doesn't mean that animation-wise, things didn't stay the same.

Giant Metal Man: The OVA

Mazinkaiser

mazinkaiser

Did they even have SoL back then? I thought it all came about after k-on

>Sup Forums is now filled with morons like this

I think they were mostly dramas or sports. I know iyashikei didn't really come around until after the economic crash.

Where does the second image on the classic anime side come from?

Not counting family or kids shows like Doraemon of course.

Stop your shitty bait
It's Shin Getter Robo

Budget and schedule are always important, not to mention aspects such as storyboarding and key frames.
Good animation is meaningless without proper direction.

Remember when japanese could match the detail of americans? Oh wait, that never happened.

I think animation quality is definitely worse than about 15 years ago, in both film and TV anime. People only look at shit like framecounts and glaring errors, but they don't pay attention to the quality of the motions. Character animation definitely looks lazier now, like it's less thought out or more streamlined. Effects animation has no variety, it's not just the shapes but the rhythm as well. It feels like everyone was taught by the same mediocre teacher.

>Remember when japanese could match the detail of americans?
You mean around the point all major American animation switched to CGI because it's cheaper?

This is literally the most underrated comment that's ever been posted to Sup Forums in its entire history. Congratulations.

>that webm
Jesus fuck this is autistic.

No, the average has gone up in the 21st century.
And if you have no idea what constitutes average, I fully encourage you to go watch original Gundam, SDF Macross, VOTOMS, Xabungle, some super robot anime and stuff like that. You know, shows done on a real budget, not hyper-expensive passion projects that killed many studios because they couldn't bear the expenses.

However, even the Japanese agree that there is a bit of a downturn as the economy forces them to do more and more outsourcing to Korea and China. Animators were schooled in animation by doing the inbetweens of the big shots. Now that making those is getting less and less feasible for the Japanese, their animators start out by doing more important shit straight ahead. And that results in the stuff reserved only for the seasoned people to be made by complete rookies.

No, you are just getting older.

You do know that you can still watch older anime, right? Nostalgia goggles are a thing, but older animation really was better (for anime at least).

I'm starting to believe that technological advances in animation haven't led to the end product being better, but only to the end product being cheaper.

>but older animation really was better

Holy shit you're dense.
This:
youtube.com/watch?v=-Hw0bUwh4-M

Is an outstanding, high budget point of the anime.

This is on a still background and with thesimplest angle ever. Japanese animation shows a lot more prowess and originality.
Disney animation also lacked any sort of stylization whatsoever.

Compare Zeta Gundam to IBO - Zeta has higher quality animation and it was produced as a single 50 episode series in the 80s, whereas IBO was made in two halves of 25 eps

That's from Sleeping Beauty. Go watch it, if you haven't since you were a little kid. The backgrounds are something else, the film's budget was ridiculous for its time for an animation.
Disney's monetary and working-hour budget per film was (and is) unrivaled. Funny enough the movie was a box office failure and didn't break even.

Comparing the worst of then to the worst of now (coming from the richest studio in Japan mind you) doesn't really turn out favorably for the present. I don't care on what side of the spectrum you compare, the past turns out better.

It's pretty amazing.

>kyoani
>instagram filters: the anime

You're forgetting Zeta was literally one of the first higher-budgeted anime out there, the stuff that gave rise to shit like Evangelion down the line.
Normal shows looked nothing like that and I've cited many examples already.

I could take Koe no Katachi and Kimi No Na Wa and shit all over 99% of anime produced before 2010 very easily.

Go watch the normal shows of the era past the pretty OP that is most of what you'd seen of the era on Youtube and you'll see how these shows and the era really looked like.

Yeah, Toei's got their own studio there, and they outsource almost everything there. Fuck, even other companies are taking advantage of that studio if you were to look at any given show made in the past few years.

I think the most important aspect of anime that people don't focus on is the style and not the animation. The drawing style now is so different from what we used to get and that's the real thing we are missing.

wtf i hate godani now

It's essentially a remake. It's based off a manga which was a do-over of the original Birdy the Mighty manga. The first OVA was based off the first manga, and the Decode anime is based off the Decode manga.

It's incredibly inefficient. Thank god for digitalization.

What's up Otaking

>using movies as examples of superior animation quality
Yeah no shit, and even then, Akira and GITS blow them away

You are retarded.

a.pomf.cat/wbebym.webm

I get the feeling that people back then were better at working with a budget.
The animation isn't necessarily better or worse, but the shots used to be framed better.
It's like some of these shortcuts to make a scene more dynamic got lost over time. Studios still know how to animate, but most of them can't direct.

That's only because there's so much more anime now

pls respond

Going off model has inherent benefits in terms of super exaggeration and dynamism, and can add the illusion of fluidity when done well. Dismissing it as "lazy" is retarded.

What's the source?

modern anime is the king of animation within a budget
it's where there's 10 times more anime than any other type of animation

I'm not a huge fan of Makoto Shinkai but he's phenomenal at shot composition. I'd argue its the only thing he's actually good at.
Yamada is great at it as well, but her shots tend to be more symbolic rather than trying to create a feeling like Shinkai's.

There's also Imaishi, who mimics Yoshinori Kanada's shots.

Urusei Yatsura

Were you trying to prove OP right? The original blows this away, they're not even on remotely the same level.

Concerning cinematography the average anime be it from 80s or 2010s doesn't have much difference.
You've got a trickle of few odd shows at a time that understand shot compositions and do interesting things with framing, or editing.
A mediocre-ass title that doesn't stand out in any way has the kind of unimaginative but working direction that you don't even pay any attention to, and that has been so since the dawn of anime.

Even that's not telling the full story. There's also the issue of schedules in the industry.

Dudes, the fuck are you saying, it's clearly Golden Boy, you cna tell by the lines and design

Budget isn't that relevant, good animation comes from good animators and there just aren't that many good animators these days.

Time is more important than good animators.

If you suck at animating you will never make anything good even in a billion years

anime is dead