In This Corner of the World

Did they really know the Western kind red and white Santa Claus in rural 1930 Japan?

It's playing in Murican theatres right now, go see it, it's pretty good.

Other urls found in this thread:

livinglanguage.com/blog/2013/06/20/how-to-say-thank-you-in-japanese-the-9-expressions-you-need/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This thread again? Seriously?

But this is the first time I made this thread!

bomp

>even adults look like children
I understand in standart SoL 1 cour anime but why in that movie in particular?

>inb4 impact value

>why in that movie in particular?
She was carefree daydreamer, a child at heart. Also malnourishment.

I´m not only refered to only MC, all adults (except elderly and that company girl) are children but bigger

It's literally the mangaka's artstyle. It's misleading as hell but she draws everything like that.

It's top comfy desu.

Suzu is cute and pure, but I do seriously wonder why she thinks so fondly of Mizuhara after only 2 shown encounters. She even said she was waiting for the moment they could be together, but obviously she's upset over her forced marriage which blossomed into genuine love for Shusaku. A lot of imagery associated with Mizuhara is constantly repeated throughout the film, like the rabbit waves and the heron, so I'm wondering if Suzu sees Mizuhara as a fellow daydreamer from her eyes.

>married woman
>pure

She remains loyal to Shusaku and his family through and through, to the point where she gave her old life and art just to maintain the status quo. She also had to give up on Mizuhara, though she does hope for him to be safe and happy.

What was the deal with Shusaku sending her to the shed with Mizuhara? Is it my imagination running wild, or did he mean for her to perform services for the navy man? Or was it that he thought that Mizuhara was her true love so he let her go out of respect to her? In b4 cuck memes.

Shusaku told Suzu that this may very well be the last time she'll see Mizuhara, so out of respect for Suzu he gives her a full night to spend time with him in the shed, regardless if sexual tensions might occur. There's a sense of jealousy in that Shusaku sees Suzu getting openly angry at Mizuhara, which is something he rarely experiences from her and feels she is holding back in their marriage still. So in a way, he wants Suzu to be happy but also tests her on whether she can be happy with him (Shusaku) as well for the rest of time.

Damn that's deeper and more in the feels than I thought.

Suzu or Mitsuha

>Did they really know the Western kind red and white Santa Claus in rural 1930 Japan?

Yes.

Japan was a lot more open to foreign things in the 20's and 30's. They even broadcast foreign music on NHK up to 1941.

Fucking kill yourself.

If you want deeper, you also might want to interpret the two men's own characteristics. They're both soldiers who are fighting to survive, yet Shusaku feels for Mizuhara when he talks about how hard and frustrating it is just to do that. Shusaku has a family, house, and a cute wife to motivate him to work and come back each day, but Mizuhara has nothing: he already lost his brother, and even Mizuhara talks about how his brother is the same age as Shusaku. As fellow soldiers, Shusaku is willing to share to Mizuhara what motivates him to keep fighting and surviving, and the best he can do is let Suzu reconnect with her childhood friend, even if there is some selfish intent behind that action.

It's an amazing movie, OP. Glad you got the chance to see it.

Did you know the recipes shown in the movie were actually tested out by the mangaka/the director and production team?

Suzu is perfect war bride tier.

Mitsuha a shit

I like that thing she does with her head. It looks dumb yet cute

Thanks. It threw me off when I saw it in like the first 5 minute of the movie, but I assumed they wouldn't have made such a mistake with all the historical research put into it.

That's a very nice interpretation. I suck at interpreting/analysing stuff, I just take everything at emotional face value like the simpleton I am.

It was great, shame it didn't get as much hype and wide release as Your Name.

Thinking back to my childhood, dandelion leaves were really fucking bitter (no, we didn't eat them, but as a kid just about everyone had to try how the milky dandelion juice tasted for themselves).

Suzu is a good wife!

bumb

Fuck off.
There's no such a destruction scene except for the last 10 minutes.

It's the cutscenes.

Barefoot Gen was really sad, I still have to watch the sequel.

Stop shilling this shit by making dead threads every fucking day.

1. it's not shit
2. this is miniscule compared to the amount of shinkai and yamada shit threads that were on this board

Subs when

Sorry user, I will post on Sup Forums when I want to talk about anime.

>What a woman, doing nothing. I wanted to strangle her.

Soon enough.

Fuck off, Anno. Stop shipposting and conclude the series ASAP.

this

The English release better double-check and fix up their entire subtitles, because goddamn it was a huge mess to read so many avoidable mistakes during the theater viewing.

shitposting*

Kind of ironic no?

I am the pilot of Evangelion Unit 00.

Too bad Shinji didn't do that in Ep. 8.

Why does this exist? And why do I want more?

is this actually fumiyo's art

No. Yoshitoh Asari's (the designer of Sachiel) one.

Examples?
I just returned from a viewing and didn't catch anything too offensive.

Anyone read the manga before watching this?

There were a few "That"s repeated too much in the same line, a lot of inaccurate translations (ex: "Thank you" for 'Sumimasen'), and most notoriously, capitalized initials for the title shoutout ("Thank you for finding me In This Corner of the World").

It almost seemed like it was rushed.

>inaccurate translations (ex: "Thank you" for 'Sumimasen')
the japanese actually use thanks and sorry interchangeable a lot of the time
livinglanguage.com/blog/2013/06/20/how-to-say-thank-you-in-japanese-the-9-expressions-you-need/

>capitalized initials for the title shoutout
that's annoying though

>the japanese actually use thanks and sorry interchangeable a lot of the time
taking this back, maybe not interchangeably but they do say sorry sometimes instead of thanks to recognize that they are being an inconvenience

The scene in particular was Sumi visiting a bedridden Suzu and she gently says 'Sumimasen" to Keiko who offered tea to the guest. I was assuming it was Sumi's condolences for Keiko's loss (since she wouldn't be quiet if she didn't know), yet the "Thank you" translation made it seem like it was for the tea. You're likely right in regards that it could mean both as a form on apologizing for inconvenience, but I would have preferred "sorry" or "excuse me" much more than thanks.

"Sumimasen" can take a whole lot of meanings depending on subtle changes in context, you seriously need native-level fluency to catch some of them.

>capitalized initials for the title shoutout
Only one instance of it, also the last or one of the very last dialogue lines in the movie. Silly and unnecessary, but really nothing worth getting upset about.

Saw this just yesterday and was totally blown away. Kept thinking about the movie for hours after I left the theatre, still am. Thought the pacing was bad at first but by the end I didn't want it to be over. Beautiful sense of atmosphere, really drew you in to what it was like to live in those rough times. Fully developed cast, great understated soundtrack... I have nothing but praise for this film.

and although this is a pointless comparison and it's not a contest i thought it was way better than kimi no na wa and koe no katachi

> 'Sumimasen" to Keiko who offered tea to the guest

Sumimasen does mean thank you in that context.
You wouldn't use arigato.

It's a "sorry to make you do this for me" kind of thing

>It's playing in Murican theatres right now
And Vietnam

yes, but like a year ago.

I preordered this so fast after seeing the movie.
And the manga rerelase.
And the art book and guide book.

why did they remove the arc with the prostitute? Am I the only one who read the manga when it was still at madokami?

they also removed the sex scene in the mid part where Shusaku was pounding Suzu to try and conceive

There was more Lin in the manga? Damn I gotta read it now.

N-not that I'd want to see that or anything!
Haven't read the manga yet but from the previews you definitely get a sense that there's some removed story there. Probably just cut for time, it was 120 minutes already.

yes. She literally is Suzu's best friend. ALso Shusaku fucked her before marrying Suzu. Yje notebook with the torned cover you see in the movie is linked with Lin, Shusaku taught Lin to right her name

Lin and Suzu. Suzu is pretty chill that She wasn't Shusaku's first

Sweet, it goes on my must read list.

comfy thread

why did they omit this sequence?

Mit.

I wonder why he did it. If he remembered Suzu after all that time shouldn't he wait?

It's still there though

is she not enjoying the D?

She can't get pregnant. Also this

Suzu

At least nipland it got most awards and also have chance to get nominee in oscar.