What is your most hated trope is battle anime?

What is your most hated trope is battle anime?

>character pays a heavy cost for instant massive power up
>said cost ends up being inconsequential later on

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1117323/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Power up via nakama

Didn't he lose his powers?

"Crazy", overpowered characters, especially children.

yo he still ain't got his powers back

Is losing a friendship and being removed from his own story really "inconsequential"?

He still has aura just no nen usage to my knowledge.

>Character uses new self taught skill.
>Told to never use it again because of later health issues related to it.
>Never uses skill again.

Compared to how the manga said that he basically sacrificed his life and how we got to see the dried-fruit-Gon? I'd say yes

isn't that kinda like having a bullet but no gun?

It's like having a good save file and erasing it out of anger, you can still play but you have to start from scratch.

Uhhh didnt he get literally written off from his own fucking story? I know kurappika will bring some bullshit that will return his powers, but thats still pretty baller, to just delete MC like that

I will dislike if Gon die. You just don't kill off your MC.

I agree that trope is trash but the example you posted actually follows through with the consequences for now at least. The worst is when it "takes x amount of years off my life".

>MC is a talentless shitter who only got by because he works harder than anyone
>he is a super special snowflake all along

>take x years from my lifespan
>fucker dies at 95, happy
or
>nigga becomes immortal
Every time. Kek.

Related, Rave had an example where a shota mage was fighting some old grandmaster super mage. Shota pulls out his last resort, burning his lifespan in exchange for mana. This manifests in the opposite way from what we expect, with the shota visibly aging through the course of 1 page, and his magic laser got fuckhuge as he aged. Ended up finishing the fight and dying of old age where he stood.

>character uses new self-taught skill
>realizes that it's a skill for thieves
>wins a fair fight with it
>never uses it again

>one cigarette shortens your life by 11 minutes
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1117323/

>inconsequential
The true cost was Gon's relevance as a character, and that's not something you can cheat your way out of.

In the end I found it amusing how Naruto started off preaching that hard work would overcome talent, yet in the end it turns out Naruto literally was ninja jesus all along.

Fucking Naruuto bit the bullet with this. Wanting to root for the underdog when he was the ninja messiah,a jinchuuriki and the son to the 4th hokage.
>B-but I had a rough childhood and people were mean to me.

Fucking this, working hard was supposed to be core to Naruto's character but Shippuden fucked it so hard. If anyone, Rock Lee should've been the MC.

Asspull power-ups. Give me a little context or backstory for power-ups, anything. Having something there to explain how or even foreshadowing before the reveal is much nicer than having it come from way out from left field.

thats actually a pretty dead-on analogy

>"shit I'm about to lose this fight"
>"better pull out "that" secret power even the audience doesn't know about"

And many times, even the character doesn't know about the secret power until then.

It works when it's a mundane trick or a creative application of known abilities. Doesn't happen often though.

Working hard was never core to Naruto's character. In the very first chapter he learned the Kage Bushin Jutsu just by reading the scroll and using his massive chakra. In the Bridge arc he only survives because of the Nine-Tails Chakra. In the Chuniin arc Jiraiya pushes him off a cliff so the Nine-Tails will save him. In the Tsunade arc he uses shortcuts and clones to get around the hard work part of the Rasengan. He basically just bums around with Jiraiya for 3 years and learns nothing but a bigger Rasengan. He uses shadow clones to shortcut through nature transformation. I mean, I can go on and on--the idea the Naruto was ever about hard work is silly.

Pesche and Dondochakka from Bleach are some of my favorite side characters--it was such a blow for them to pull this only to have it fail because they didn't use it right away.

This.

Working hard was only Rock Lee's thing, and Rock Lee got blow tf out by Gaara and humbled by Sasuke. Saying shippuden shitted on the theme of hard work is silly because it was already shitted on in the very same arc it was introduced

The worst example of this for me was Guy.

>inconsequential
>so powerless he's not even the MC now and is just studying on his comfy island home while everyone else is participating in a battle royale on a boat headed for even more extreme danger

In the end guy was recognized by madara as the strongest man ever. Even though he basically sacrificed himself (Only to be revived lmao) but still, I believe he would be able to fuck over anyone with 8 gates open

The MC in Aldnoah Zero. I dont have a problem with novice pilots winning against vetarans when they use overpowered Mobile Suits that are superior while also making use of fucking magic (see most Gundams slaying grunts). But in AZ the novice uses a training bot against veterans who use overpowered suits that make use of magic and dozens of gimmicks, and he still wins every fight almost unscathed. Now thats just too fucking retarded for me to swallow.

>Inconsequential
He lost its ability to fight. And it has been YEARS. Gon will never be relevant as a character ever again.

High school setting.

O

MY

RUBBER

BUNZ

I hope this isn't pic related since Gon still doesn't have nen anymore.

Don't give me that shit, naruto was as genius from the beginning.

>sucks at ninjutsu because he was LODS OF CHAKRA, PROBABLY
>that and no one really bothers to train him, no clan like the other kids with parents teaching them at an early age
>Over does the chacra amounts so it fucks up his shit
>finds a forbiden justsu thats supporsed to take a very long time to master
>masters it in one night
>said high chakra gives it a huge power boost

The instant he gets 1 good technique and a good teacher he starts accelerating in his growth.

>10 episodes of Goku powering up later...
>screaming the name of an attack as they do it (not exclusive to battle anime)
>there is never a creative solution- more difficult problems merely need to be punched harder

>Massive power up isn't enough to kill the bad guy outright

Just let it happen once. FUCK.

Naruto

>Over explains any action a character takes in a fight
>a Loli who contributes nothing to the story shows up
>MC being a skinny faggot who can bench buff men because h-he's fast
>Instead of character development, you just have edge
>OP spoils every detail
>Someone making a loud screeching noise whenever someone else is kawaii

>MC is completely normal at the beginning
>Even less than normal, and everyone continue saying this every time
>Except that he has a ridiculously oversized, "natural/since birth" amount of stamina/magical energy/ki/whatever

I hate almost everything, shonen is extremely receptive and formulated, with rare exceptions, it's a genre for children after all

Character uses new self taught skill that causes massively damage to himself too if he uses it.
>MC trained to use it in a way that makes sense and has been foreshadowed so that it doesn't cause damage to himself anymore and the new way even made the skill more versatile.

>If I eat these gumballs passed down in my family i will surely die but gain great power to defeat the current enemy
>doesn't end up dying

>character is a 14 year old who has to choose between risking death fighting for humanity or doing nothing and dying with the rest of humanity
>he acts like a retarded emo all the time and contemplates letting humanity be destroyed because his feelings are hurt

I think the only time I've seen it matter is in HxH.

the hard work/talent thing was never a core theme for naruto though outside of rock lee/neji.

Naruto's core theme was always cycles of violence/hatred due to geopolitics.

When the dude is almost a retard and is far from being intelligent, yet he is a fucking genius when its about fighting and can invent/master new techniques with minimum effort and, according to what the show says, is a very smart fighter

>character facing new enemy
>enemy teleports
>"NANI!? KONO SPEEDO!?"

>MC-kun is so bland and pointless it's more of a "Bystander:The Anime", just to others can self-insert

>not "HAYAI"
You had one job and you blew it.

You can argue which was the single core central theme of the series, but nobody said hard work WAS the core theme of the series in the first place.
The closest thing to it is the one user who said hard work was core to Naruto's character.

Fucking who?

Kishimoto tried to drive home the idea of hard work mattering to achieve your dreams.
He just sucked at it.

When?

Gon was never the MC, or at least the sole MC.

>MC learns a technique just by watching it.

Asspull X asspull

He's clearly the MC

>Character starts as a thief
>Abandons thievery skills to learn a more honorable fighting style
>Eventually becomes comfortable with combining both skill sets

He isn't. His story is finished. He's not the focus anymore. Kurapika has that role.

Agree

Story can change MC as they go you know, everyone's favorite reference is kinda famous for that.

That said I'm pretty sure gon will pick the post light back up at some point

Anything to do with that fucking bitch Miyata in Hajime no Ippo

>muh tragic weight control
>muh antisocial arrogance

Fuck You. I wish he'd fucking die.

I reiterate: He was never the MAIN character, but one of seven. Fourteen if you take CA into consideration.

Have you seen Yuki Yuna? If you haven't I'm sure you'd love it. :^)

>Character uses new skill
>Skill causes massive damage to himself
>Continues to use skill for the rest of the series without said damage being mentioned ever again

>world in danger
>here comes the hero, a girl wearing mini skirt
The only time this is acceptable is in magical girl shows for little girls, as they're hardly "heroes". In every other case, it's unacceptable. If you plan to defeat evil, save lives, bring happiness, at least dress yourself properly. The title of a hero isn't to be treated like this. It shouldn't be given to just any random fuck. A hero must look the part as well. Wearing mini skirts, walking around with your panties just exposed from below, being at mercy of just wind, is just shameful, not heroic material.

NEN

Little girls. Every time I see one of those little girls I know for sure the anime/manga is trash. Even worse if it's a little shithead always catching attention.
I agree but even more I can't even stand little girls being programmers,soldiers,fighters, or anything completely stupid especially if it's a nerd thing like in GuP ( which is 100% pedo cancer) or a position where an adult is needed.

>Character makes a big sacrifice and gives up life for greater good
>they come back few chapters later

If you are shitposting, please stop.
If you are serious, please leave.

>H-he's not a lolicon ! Guards, get him !
You should be the one leaving. There's another _chan waiting for you and your pedophilia.

>skill causes damage to the character
>character is forced to retire because of the damage

I fucking loved Bastard!! but that made almost every fight boring as hell

I like that trope

>When a character uses THAT technique

to be fair Eva is kinda justified because everyone there really were shit

>maburoho
>says that the MC will die if he uses magic too many times
>does it anyway
>ends up dying

>but then gets revived using the power of love

He's only really the MC is like 2 arcs (and neither of them are the good arcs)

gay

You just described why I hate Nardo

Best character dies for good.

>there is never a creative solution- more difficult problems merely need to be punched harder
really that's more notorious in classic battle shounen than modern ones

and keep in mind the MC powered up TWICE

>Explanation of a new power takes longer than using the new power
>never brought up again

>Main enemy organization is only focused on attacking schools and kids.

>MC fights an enemy
>enemy is tough as all hell basically wiping the floor with the MC
>using everything he has he finally defeats the enemy
>sometime later
>"a-ha this guy is much stronger than that enemy you had trouble with! you're doomed"
>MC or side character much weaker than him proceeds to curb-stomp him

Granted the finale was utter shit, but this was hilarious to read

given that high school kids are the only ones that can defeat the organizations it's probably a good idea

XD nice one! I love memes! haha!

>character introduced as "the strongest being ever"
>character that is introduced as being stronger than "the strongest being ever"

pretty much why I hated the Flask Plan arc

>please don't do this MC!
>if you train/ use this technique this way your lifespan will radically decrease!
>MC will never die and if he does it's way into the future when he's very old