Dennou Coil

Just finished watching this. What does Sup Forums think about it? Personally it felt pretty underwhelming. I expected more from the mind of one of the best animators of all time, but I guess good animation doesn't translate well to good directing. Anyways, just want to know Sup Forums's opinions on it, be it good or bad.

bump. Has nobody seen this show?

Loved it.

Th-thanks for replying, user. What did you like about it exactly?

I guess it's kind of hard to put into words. The artstyle and the atmosphere, mostly, and how dire the plot became.

Pretty much share the same opinion as you.

Top 10 anime for me.

I also watched it recently and liked it very much. interesting story and likable characters. it gives that special warm filling.

The artstyle, huh? Do you mean mostly character designs or background art? I disliked how gray it all was, but I think it could also be argued that the colors add to the fact that the setting is all about technology. Aside from that, I actually liked the character designs, since all the characters kinda looked japanese. Still, it all somewhat boring, in that I feel like there was a lack of spectacles (pun intended) in regards to animation and art - and that is usually what I want to see in animation, something like a big show.

I really liked it, in this case not because the plot but because of how the world is presented, I think it's charming.

densuke is literally me

I miss you

Fuck it's a rare thread while I'm out driving. This is my second favourite anime of all time. I'm not sure what you were expecting but I thought it was incredible: A long compelling story with minimal fanservice and a moral that wasn't "technology is bad".

One of my all time favorite anime and the beard episode is probably my favorite episode of any series.

>it gives that special warm feeling
>not because the plot but because of how the world is presented

I gather that, for people who liked it, the biggest appeal the show has for them is to see a well-thought world, isn't it? In the sense that the setting outlines clear rules for the world that the plot keeps on developing while doing the same for the characters that live therein (developing their personality well). That's what I think about when I think about it being "atmospheric" even though I am unsure I can quite grasp people's opinions on this aspect of the anime.

Maybe I just had the wrong expectations going in, but when I think about a story involving augmented reality I really expected to stumble upon much grander themes. I expected to see something along the lines of the impact AR has on the workings of society at large and the change it can cause on the human perception of consciousness. I also expected to see a different presentation. Instead of showing the world as mostly the same place with a few alterations like laser beams, I wished it were much different from reality, to show the awe of the power of the glasses can inspire. Instead
I got a subtle story on childhood and emotional bonds.

It's one of my all time favorites. I love how it portrays the potential of augmented reality, as well as the unique visual style and great characters. It deserves more attention for sure.

I probably should rewatch it sometime, it's been some 9 years since I saw it. Still, a pretty solid piece of science fiction.

>A long compelling story with minimal fanservice and a moral that wasn't "technology is bad".

Not disagreeing, but what do you think the moral of the story was?

That episode was really fun indeed. It felt like some anime version of Gulliver's Travels.

It was more about adults not understanding how children engage with technology but the use of technology to both harm and help, which felt really relatable and engaging to me as someone who scrapped together cash to get a c64 back when my dad thought I was wasting my life.

>It was more about adults not understanding how children engage with technology

Well put. Maybe I paid too much attention to the kids in the show and overlooked the role of the adults in getting the point of the series across.

I really fell in love with the series but felt what they did with it wasn't the best route - wasn't a fan of the last few episodes but that's about all I remember. Episode 4 was my idea of the show's best episode.

I would rewatch it with you user. Sorry for typos I'm on the road at the moment.

>I would rewatch it with you user
O-okay. Th-thanks for the offer.

I will probably rewatch it in about a year though. I don't like to watch things again straight away after I am finished with them. I will most likely do another thread on Sup Forums when I get to this series again, so if you are alive by then I will try to make an OP for the purpose of discussing each episodes as I rewatch. Although I have never seen this on Sup Forums and not sure if it's allowed.

There have been a lot of streams in the past, but they tend to be for special ocassions.. For example, every year there's a daily Haruhi stream until Christmas.

I saw it when it aired and have been meaning to give it a rewatch anyways. Perhaps we could exchange contact information?

Sure user. Just let me make a new Gmail.

[email protected] here it is.

It was good

it was boring dropped after 6 episodes , did it get any better?

Nope.

It's a real gem

I loved the episode where they fight a nuclear war on that guy's beard.

Saw it ages ago but it was really conceptually interesting, and the pretty animation didn't hurt. Probably need to rewatch it sometime, it's great.

The fact that this show completely flopped both in the West and in Japan is one of the great crimes in anime history, but it was basically designed to flop. It looked too kiddy for the srs anime elitists, it was too dark for the actual babies, none of the characters are all that marketable/fuckable, yurifags got fucked over as usual, and nobody cares about an anime just because it's a good show.

Is this the reason why Mitsuo Iso hasn't directed anything since?

Yup. It's what happens when you work on a show for a decade and it completely bombs.

What the fuck, it took an entire decade? That's crazy. I wonder how many anime go through a production process this long. It also makes me hopeful that maybe he's working on another big project now and the only reason no one knows about it is because of a similarly long production, who knows.

It's sad to see people posting their genuine feelings on this website. Good luck to you.

Well, I've never seen any rules that forbid anons on Sup Forums from posting things other than shitposts. I mean, I'm not here because I like the "board culture" or whatever anons claim to justify posting the same thread thousands of times (would you a X, this is your girlfriend for tonight, this is X say something nice about X, X is for, was it rape, etc.), but I do like the format of anonymous posting. It is sad to see how hard it is to have actual discussion on the internet. It's either the shitposting on Sup Forums, the attention pandering on reddit or all the underage people on MAL.

Fuck you user, why did you have to make me feel this way.

I'm at the 8th episode and i like it, Yasako a qt

It happens sometimes with unpopular series, but the threads tend to die really fast without shitposters making noise and bumping the threads. It's a "pick your poison" scenario.

I was about to use Girls und Panzer as an example of a popular show with good discussion and interesting, informative posts in the airing threads, but then I realized it's been fucking years. 2012, holy shit.

Everything else I can think of had ded threads.

Sorry to hear it wasn't your thing OP, it was one of my favorites at the time. The subdued color pallet and scripting is probably something you might get more of if you're to revisit the series sometime later. Keep in mind, it was produced for kids around the age of the characters. for me it felt refreshing to see loss and grief portrayed so openly in a story revolving around children.

Mob Psycho 100 wasn't bad while it was airing, but people had to gaypost to specifically drive shitposters off, so not perfect.

One of the best anime of all time in terms of both direction and animation.

I really need to watch the show again I think. I watched RahXephon recently and Iso's episode 15 absolutely blew me away this time through. I'm not really sure now if that episode surpasses this series or not.

>yurifags got fucked over as usual
What? I thought it was pretty satisfying.

It's okay, and just okay. Pretty overrated though. I imagine that the same people who think Steins;Gate is good will like it and be willing to put up with the constant techno-babble and the story just throwing new plot elements at you every 10 minutes. The show is constantly throwing shit out you, gives minimal explanation for it, and expect you to just follow everything, even when the "mystery" is basically solved.

The strongest episodes were the ones that had little to do with the overall plot. The battle between the kids in the beginning, the fish illegal episode, the illegal war, etc. Those worldbuilding episodes were pretty fun. The overarching plot was extremely convoluted though, and by the end you're left with more questions than answers.

>Why the fuck don't they just take the glasses off when they're not in obsolete space? Why does a pair of glasses create a cyberbody anyway? There's essentially no point other than users who can take advantage of Imago. Which leads to the question of why does nobody else have Imago other than the Yukos? How do you get Imago anyway?
>Why was the kids' school torn down in the first place? Why were they relocated? Pretty sure no reason is given for this at all.
>How are these 6th graders expert hackers who can hack into the city/government-run AR system? Why does nobody from Megamass just remotely stop them instead of deploying Satchii?
>Why the fuck did Isako's grandpa need to use AR technology on Yasako? How was AR technology going to save a car crash victim?
>Why is Tamako still able to use Satchii even after she's fired?
>How can Isako travel to the Coil Domain from the hospital bed just by touching Yasako?

I could go on and on but this series really frustrated me. Daichi and Fumie being dropped from the plot in the last few episodes was annoying too.

Some people don't want their media to answer every question for them or explain everything. I don't know if anime watchers just get used to this because of the hamfisted exposition in the majority of series and expect to be handheld through everything but the majority of serious artworks in most fields are just as much about creating questions in the viewer as giving answers.

>the majority of serious artworks in most fields are just as much about creating questions in the viewer as giving answers.
Yeah, they create questions about morality or other themes that can be explored. They don't create questions that break your suspension of disbelief and leave the writers exposed as someone who couldn't finish the story properly.

I'd far rather have open questions about what exactly happened than be treated like an idiot and have every little thing explained.

>I have low standards and don't care if there's tons of plotholes in my stories
Okay buddy

dennou coil has tons of infodumps and things still don't make sense, that's the problem

Who are you quoting?

I never watched it, but pretty sure it was even shilled by dattebayo back in the days.

All time favourite. Best science fiction anime the medium has made.

Hes working on a Dodo movie of some sort.

Is this one of those things that starts out cute and comfy but quickly turns horrific and agonizing?

It's more of just a sci fi mystery/thriller. There's no real suffering.

Yes.

Nope

Good anime
Garbo thread

It was fun. The end got melodramatic as fuck, but I was pretty much expecting that. The episode with the beards was the absolute best.

Don't know why you'd say that. Looking at this one it's much better than 99% of Sup Forums threads.