How the hell did people wait weeks in between broadcasts of this

how the hell did people wait weeks in between broadcasts of this

having a good taste and don't waiting for this

in english doc

If they waited weeks, they'd have missed episodes.

Probably was better for them on some level that way, more time to delve into the meat of the narrative/themes bit by bit.

Lain was horrid though

That.
Definitely not this.

Because they loved Lain

weeks? how laughable you waited a month for someone to mail you the 3rd gen raw on vhs.

>Definitely not this.
No, it was fucking awful, the meme that it is "smart" has to die.

He put the effort to English the best.

was SEL even popular in Japan?

It's pretty much solely responsible for the creation of late-night anime blocks.

>T. Contrarian who doesnt seem to understand

Like this

How the hell did people watch this at all without wanting to kill themselves? It's fucking avant-garde trash. I've watched 50+ episode anime in a single day before, but it took me two days to get through the 12 episodes of Lain because it gave me a literal headache. Goddamn this show was terrible.

>being such a brainlet

That change had already happened, although Lain was a fairly early one.

Nothing about Lain was smart. It tried to be artistic by reusing 50% of the animation from the first episode in every subsequent episode. The premise was mildly interesting, but it took ten episodes to even get a hint about what it was. Holy fuck it was a train wreck.

>Nothing about Lain was smart.
Spoken like a true brainlet.
>It tried to be artistic
God forbid a show tried to make something of artistic value.

I continue to be of the opinion that no human being actually likes Lain, and everyone in this thread is baiting for replies.

only japanese children were watching it when it came out. they probably didn't think twice about it and missed episodes.

That isn't remotely historically correct.

I love Lain!

I can barely imagine being driven to come back to the show if I didn't see the first three episodes in one sitting. Waiting a month and a half before the show starts to... be anything... seems impossible

why is such a 6/10 anime so popular here ?

You remind me of that guy shitting on spices and wolf because he couldn't into economics

Maybe you're the same stupid guy

Are you also of the opinion that nobody likes Twin Peaks or Eraserhead?

>mfw i'm on my third rewatch and i still don't seem to understand
I get the overall gist of the anime but i wish i could at least understand what many of the individual scenes are about.

That's ok. Everyone's entitled to have bad opinions.

Lain is for loving

Lain was interesting for sure, but i didn't cream my pants watching it.

where did you save this image from? i wonder..

Try

There are people in this thread right now that don't seem to understand

w-what do you mean user

Lain was fucking trash so it doesn't matter

what board did you get it from? i'm fairly sure i made this image, were you on that board that recently went down?

Probably Sup Forums or Sup Forums around ten days ago.

ah right, nevermind then! hope you understand better soon, user

A show giving you a headache doesn't make it bad. I've known people who get headaches from Teekyuu and they love it.

>watching anime in any form other than bd rips

>artistic value
Not him and I love Lain but artistic value as something a show "has" is a noncept. It's a truly meaningless phrase in that regard because a work can't tangibly have any. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I like it for its aesthetics, music, and sound design.
>inb4thatshowthewholelainfanbaseis

Because your score for a show is meaningless and has no basis in how the show is. You might believe that you've given the show an "objective score" but you're just as biased as anyone else despite any mental gymnastics you've done to convince yourself otherwise and people aren't going to necessarily share your thoughts on it.

it's fun to look at those 16 year old patrician faggots trying to making it look like there's some mysterious existential meaning behind lain by posting "you don't seem to understand", "we're all connected" and such. without them the anime wouldn't even be talked about.

This.

>without a fanbase a piece of media wouldn't be popular
How did you come to this brilliant conclusion user?

I don't understand Lain and I still like it

A lot of art suffers because it becomes dated, Lain is an unique example of the exact opposite - it suffers because it was exactly on the money. Many of its themes are almost banal right now and there's no work that needs to be done to understand them, because they became trivial and omnipresent in the current world. The only other cases I can come up with is Seinfield (fairly minor) and Snow Crash (pretty major, but still nothing compared to lain).

They aren't. Issues about introversion, human connection, and anti transhumanism are still very much relevant. Lain isn't about the Internet.

I wish i could read old japanese forums circa SEL's original airing. Watching it back then must have been fucking mindblowing.

This ROM memory device was the Knights mobo the DJ at Cyberia gave to her, right?

Well two anteater that cuestion we're gotta look back at 1977 year when ESL (Experiments Serial Lain) arrived.

It during this the time that The Internet was in primary minutes, and a torrente or estrim do no encist. A causa that the persons have to rely on the terebision in order to intertainmente. seri el Lain air it for japonnaise to watch on T V, and this was a case where it's no other things airs of value.

Ensensually it's a like how the antiques Socrates/Aristoteles/Homero were Memorize Entire BOOKS bencause there ware't very other things to make. The witnesses to Experiments Serial Lain it's much the same, able memorith the smalest of dentails because they have it total of belongings. It's dificul to us imagine with our modern fount of internet media, but then in rarity finds excepcionality.

Putting it aside, any body think Lain she being Anischeral? I know she me gave taims me from looking this show.

Nothing ever suffers from being dated because everything's inherently dated in some way. It gives some level of a barrier for entry to fully appreciate it and it can often serve as a time capsule of its era. Being John Malkovich relies heavily on the public's view of John Malkovich and how strange it is to have a movie about going specifically into his mind but it still holds up amazingly even if you aren't too aware of Malkovich's or the other real-life actors' reputations at the time of its creation because it still has everything else going for it. However, if you have an idea, then its comedy is just given more layers and in some cases like Charlie Sheen's cameo, it can make the movie even funnier to know where they are now. For an anime example, Rose of Versailles is heavily dated by its presentation nuances and recording quality but if you appreciate shows from that era and those little details, then it still easily works as a drama show.

Go and ask the Anons on Sup Forums watching Twin Peaks right now how they feel being drip-fed excruciatingly slow weird bullshit.

you mean NGE

I didn't say it isn't relevant anymore - quite on the contrary. It's just that anti-transhumanism is an identified and popular issue, and human connection became the main problem of current literature and maybe art in general. And of course Lain is not about the Wired, but internet is as effective in bringing forth its problematic core as in real life. Otherwise Ueda wouldn't have chosen it.

>burgers thinking they can understand Lain

>Lain is turning 20 next year
Where did the time go?

Fight Club brought a lot that wasn't in a mainstream movie before it, but almost all of the themes and sentiments have been repeated since its release that it comes off as cringeworthy.

I think I misunderstood you, my mistake

I'll repeat myself: Lain is not dated like Being John Malkovich is dated. For the latter, it is submerged in a cultural context that has already passed; the viewer needs to readjust themselves lest he risks to lose a lot of enjoyment. Former is more relevant now than it was in the time of its conception, it is paradoxically wrapped up in current culture - if you viewed it 20 years ago, understanding it required you to construct that culture, and now there's little effort in that as the questions the show puts forward have grown increasingly visible during the two decades past. Using your example, there is a reason Synechdoche, NY is genius while Birdman is just good, even going past the differences in complexity.

You do? Prove it

He might not, but I do. I kissed her on the cheek and gave her a hug.

I better understand your point.

How can you not love someone who's always there by your side? Like right now.

So, this show is where nothing explained, so only factual things are events, since there is no exposition everything else can be interpreted anyway you want, which creates illusion that this show is "smart", and that illusion of substance attracts elitist, which use this as an excuse to call other people dumb for disliking this show, just so that they can feel better about themselfs.

Am i right? I just watched it for the first time, and i understood concept, but with directing like that it is pretty obvious that you need to rewatch it in order to understand details, but this show is boring so i am just gonna read or watch analysis somewhere, because i feel that plot is actually simple, it just directing makes it hard to understand.

if I had the chance of betting money with you at this instant, I would bet everything I have that you couldn't explain what sel is about

No. People call people dumb because they come into these threads not to criticize the show, but to say "pretentious", "fuck you stupid faggots", and "this show is shit" with no other substance. Do you expect a kind rebuttal to shitposting?

Its some sort of outdated commentary on Internet, isn it?

>art is in the eye of the beholder
you don't have a clue what art is, go read a book

No, see

Maybe i am retarded but i didn`t saw that message. I thought too much about surface(aka actual plot) to see below it.

What gives those books, and by extension, their authors, authority on art as a concept? Which ones are more correct than the others and why? What makes them correct and why should the person or persons who decided they're correct be listened to and considered an authority? What if there was someone out there that would be deemed even more correct if they were heard from but they haven't, thus calling the authority of the previous people into question?

You don't seem to understand...

damn shame.

Is this girl(Lain) is sort of fundamental omnipresent being made possible via Earth Giomagnetic field?

You are both kinda wrong. Art is not pure information, it's mostly a translateable conceptual framework, i.e. a scheme of processing information. Good art doesn't necessary tell you what to think about, but provides a new way how to think; purely aesthetical works are completely devoid of "subject", and yet suceed at transforming cognition.

Surely then bad art, in the sense of overly abtract and "pretentious", is guilty not of lack of substance but badly formulated schemes that may be either too banal or just plain untranslatable, so that the viewer fails not only at getting what the author is speaking about but also the way he is speaking.

Lain is a program

That's one of two options, sort of, the other is , but I don't believe the latter.

Yes. Schumacher Resomance.

But i thought that Lain is not a Resonance, but she uses it to manifest herself.

Twin Peaks S3 and Lain share quite a lot of similarities. Doppelgangers, danger hiding in electricity/wires, blurred reality etc.
Twin Peaks was a massive deal in Japan in the early 90s though, so maybe it's natural that Lain'd draw inspiration to some degree.

Lain was a lot of fun.

It's a lot of fun when you get to talk to people who are interested in it. If you try and talk with casual anime fans about it they just start making up explanations and reasons why it's so deep and it becomes obvious like 5 minutes in that they have no idea what was going on.

how? it was painful to watch

It's bad.
muh modern angst through Jungian nonsense
It's for whiny teens.

My wife Lain is so perfect.

overrated trash

>filename
People still do Lain art?

thats evangelion not lain

>overrated
Are you 12?

It's Lain too actually.

we
are
all
connected

No, leave Lain out of this.

Regardless of if you like the show or not, it is certainly unique. I haven't found another anime like it and it's currently my top.
It's just odd how much hate/confusion it gets though because it's not that complicated of an anime.
10/10 fuk da h8rs