What show got you into Anime?

here's a simpler, non-niche bullshit thread

total pleb here: i will never forget the first episode of GiTS:SAC i saw on Toonami when i was a young teen

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8qLl145FqQg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Eat shit and die.

this board never ceases to confirm multiple stereotypes

what? were you born with a LN in hand?

I watched all the toonami shit as a kid, but Durarara was the show that actually got me into anime as a teenager.

The two shows that hooked me were a double-bill of the first episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note. I didn't watch anime at all when I was in high school but I played a lot of vidya so I was curious to see what more Japanese stuff was about. The college anime club was doing a showing and I found it to be really good fun.

Saint Seiya was my first Love.

i will nvr forget boku. i saw on non-niche bullshit reccomendation thread on the Sup Forums when i was a young teen.

The edge's lords
>Tokyo Ghoul and Death Note.

I saw an advertisement for Akira in some movie magazine and went on a quest to find a VHS.

Never found one and eventually forgot about it until the advent of dial-up internet and file sharing.

...lots of misnamed anime files were out there, back in the day...

I watched shit like FMA when I was younger but never really "got into" anime, then watched NGE when I was a bit older, still didn't really get into it but enjoyed a few here and there
K-on was probably the one that really got me into it. I just found it extremely relaxing and the keions very cute, which started my slow decent into adoring the SoL genre. Started watching more and more, different genres, the more popular series, started posting here regularly, etc. Still, SoL will always be my favorite especially when winding down after work or class. I think it fulfills a lot of stuff I missed out on in highschool too

This one and its great OP

What a faggot. Go jerk offs on Re:Zero or Kyoani shit.

I started watching Spice & Wolf S2 in late 2009 with Sup Forums. That did it for me. Probably a weird entry show, but then I was 26.

No Game No Life I think

Ew. I hope you're not joking user.

Robot Carnival

Oh My Goddess OVA. Fuck I'm old. Still love anime, though.

One Piece
I stumbled upon it one day so I decided to read the manga. It went all downhill from there.

Haruhi. Watched the first season just out of curiosity, the second because I had nothing better to do (timeskip of about two years) and the movie was such an unique experience for someone that had barely even touched anime, it completely blew my mind.

I went abroad as a kid to visit some relatives in Asia. They had an anime channel and all it showed was subs of Trigun and Vandread from what I remember.

Vandread really did it for me though. It makes me sad when there aren't really that many people who know about it.

I felt like rewatching one of my favorite cartoons as a kid which was zatch bell and after watching every episode again, I wanted more "cartoons" like this. So I watched more crap, then saw Rosario Vampire which got me into hentai. And now I'm a big fan of anime. Kill me

Ok.

Well i watched No game no life like in 2014 and One Punch Man in 2015, then my friend told me about mob Psycho in 2016, so i watched because it was from the same author. So i guess it was mob psycho.

Anyone else Sailor Moon or DBZ?

Went with dad to watch pokemon 2000 in theaters. He probably regrets it a bit now.

My parents got into anime around the time I was born, I was corrupted at birth. I saw Akira, 3x3 Eyes and Cobra when I was 4 or 5, that was when I was truly doomed.

I saw GiTS 95 in first grade iirc. All of the violence went over my head, but the anime tits turned me into a pervert.

Totally Spies

>show
It was a movie, because I have standards.

The Sci-Fi channel's Saturday Anime block from the 90s was probably the biggest influence. I'd seen some stuff before that (Robotech reruns, Samurai Pizza Cats, among other things.) But that block was what really gave me an awareness of anime as something distinct from American cartoons. It helped that my family had just gotten a computer and the internet around that time so I was able to look up more information about it.

that show awakened fetishes I didn't even know I had

My first show outside Moomins was SnK when it aired 4 years ago

I think I and everyone that I knew watched cartoons like Pokemon and DBZ, but I didn't think of it as anime back then.

The first time I watched an anime thinking, "Okay, what is this whole anime thing about?" was when I watched Naruto as a pre-teen.

Totally hooked.

As a kid it was definately Rorouni Kenshin but I was also into Yu Yu Hakusho, DBZ, and Naruto. My obsession was Yugioh for sure but I was more into the card game than the anime.
I didnt really become truly into anime before Baccano. After I watched that I was motivated to listen to my weeb friends reccomendations and watched Death Note and Code Geass. Of course that same friend got me into Bleach and looking back I regret how much of my time that show ate up.
So yeah basically a bunch of generic gateway shows are what got me into it. I dont watch series much anymore, just films.

>>I watched all the toonami shit as a kid

Same same. Also those that didn't air on Toonami like Mirmo and some BuBu ChaCha.

Inuyasha when it used to air on Toonami. I fondly remember staying up until 3AM just to watch it as a kid.

The first anime I've ever watched or the first anime that got me into the hobby seriously? If it's the former, it was one of those 90s kyoudai robot shows, I was 6 or 7.

It was the opposite case for me than most people, I was reading a shit ton of Sup Forumsmics so I got into manga first. My first manga was Death Note, I then watched the show. Then I got into more shows (Code Geass, Monster, Darker than Black,...). I literally Googled "anime like Death Note".

I saw anime as a kid
And I hated it. I grew up a little, I found a friend who got into anime, we talked about anime but I didn't actually watch the shows. I grew up a little more, I got bored of video games, so I went on youtube. Got into guitar music, stumbled on a guy named Rob.A Ranowsky, listened to his Korean Zombie Desk Car thing, I couldn't stop staring at Seraphim's tits in the thumbnail. Tits were so hot I decided I had to see them in action, then I watched my first anime.

I live in asia so anime was shown everyday in tv alongside english cartoons in the morning. DB and YYH iirc

Yu Yu Hakusho and Flame of Recca.
Good ol' tournament arcs.

Evangelion and Noir :/

And Patlabor 2. Why did SBS stop showing Anime?

Before this I would only watch Toonami shit but this made me depressed my whole spring break at the time I loved it had to chase that high I got from it

embarrassing but it was bleach, my normalfag mind thought that the the swords and masks were pretty nice

Shaman king on old Cartoon Network, that shit was great, the op brings such a feeling of nostalgia...

same here

Back in 2001, it was trigun.

DB and Sailor moon when I was young. Interestingly enough I was caught watching Sailor moon as a kid by my father and he was all "ain't no son of mine gonna watch this girly shit" which was about the time SciFi starting airing anime, and we watching Lensman, Vampire Hunter D, and the rest together on VHS since he recorded them. Also he had a weeb that worked under him that loaned out Record of Lodoss and Fist of the North Star to us.

the Ghibli films on VHS were the beginning for me. blew my tiny mind. rediscovered the idea later when we got cable for the first time and I spent my nights with adult swim.

>no movie-Motoko doujins
Ah well.

>DB and Sailor Moon
>Anime on SciFi Channel
are you me? I remember watching Ronin Warriors too.

The first time I watched anime was probably Naruto on TV or Inuyasha from the library. My older sister was seriously into Inuyasha. I didn't really get it but I loved hanging around my sister. Naruto was awesome for me. I still love the nostalgic feel it gives me. I considered both to be cartoons and not really "anime."

When I was younger I got really into manga. I don't remember how I came across it but it didn't take much for me really get into the genre. I started with some cute ecchi shoujo manga.

My opinion of anime was that it most likely was shit and the people who watch it have shity taste and standards. This coming from a kid in school watching the children who were openingly obsessed with anime being loud obnoxious a-holes with weird humor that made other people generally uncomfortable. With none of them ever mentioning manga I figured I had nothing in common with them anyways.

In high school being a lonely fuck in an effort to connect with some other people I tried out some different anime they recommended. The one that really did it for me was Eureka 7. It completely changed my opinion of what anime could be.

Inuyasha as far as i can remember.
Fun fact is that i've never ended it... I don't think it's worth seeing the whole show. Am i right?

Highschool of the Dead, Rosario Vampire, Sekirei, and Elfen Lied were what my friend got me to watch with him when I was 10, not really counting Spirited Away and all the other ghibli movies I watching when I was like 8

In 2013, I started buying a film once a week from JB Hi Fi to entertainment me and my parents. I then started going into the anime section and bought Ghibli films. I liked how cute a lot of them were, especially Arrietty and Porco Rosso. I then decided to pursue this further by asking a friend for recommendations for shows but he mostly recommended harem anime which discouraged me quite a bit. But then later in that year I went to a lan party with some old friends from high school and we watched some Cowboy Bebop. I then just started watching everything Shinichiro Watanabe directed and kept going from there.

back in the 90's when i was a kid i saw some macross and when i went looking for what it was found pic related

watched it all and read the books, wasn't till years later when the internet really took off that i found what a mistake i made

Friends in high school gave me a copy of Haruhi, Gurren Lagann and Lucky Star and things kinda snowballed from there.

I watched some Naruto when I was 13 or so, which put me off anime for years. Then someone recommended Planetes as a good fairly hard sci-fi series, and I loved it.
I decided to visit Sup Forums to see what people were discussing, and at the time Yuyushiki was airing, so I thought I'd give it a go - and it's all gone downhill from there.

I've watched anime before, but Cross Ange really got me into watching it regularly.

Too many to say because I really got into it at once.

If I remember correctly, it was Rurouni Kenshin. It was titled as Samurai X I believe when I was watching it. Yu Yu Hakusho, You're Under Arrest, Evangelion, GTO, Dual Parallel, The Legend of Black Heaven, etc. Basically almost all of the popular ones in the 90s that were being shown in TV then.

I remember watching Animax have the marathon and I watched the shit out of it.

Black Lagoon for me, dubbed in english you fuckin fucks

Oh boy that's a strange place to start, which makes it a great answer.

Naruto and Bleach despite having watched Doraemon and such on tv as a kid

Sailor Moon and Ranma ½ back in the 90s.
After that probably NGE.

Doraemon, Sailor Moon, and Samurai X from TV because of mainly my brother's influence, and to some extent, parents and families

I got into manga much earlier though. My brother collected a complete set of original Doraemon in the early 90's which I still have while my mother has almost complete collection of Candy Candy and various Shoujo from the 80's and read most of that shit as a kid, my mother's collections are all gone though. My mother is a weeb too honestly and she still collects various manga she likes and watch shows intended for girls (think Diabolik Lovers, Vampire Knight, etc you got the idea)

Funny because the ones who introduced me to anime and manga is my brother but he resents my hobby now (he still thinks that anyone who still got into "cartoons" as an adult are mostly weird and socially disfunction), thinking about this now, some of my biggest motivation to be a fully functional and successful adult is from his sentiments so I don't really think about it too much now, cause if I'm successful enough, fuck what people think

Parents dont mind their sons to enjoy "girly shows" as a kid (Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Digi Charat) as long as we behave like a fucking man so that contributes some too

Sentimental Graffiti got me into VN, I dunno how the fuck my local rental game store has that shit in moon language and my uncle just so happened to rent it for unknown reasons, often sneak to play with my uncle's computer when he's away, didn't understand a shit when playing but the girls are cute. Not until the internet really took off though that I can play VN easily

Then comes OneManga, Baka BT for online manga and LN reading

Finally, Haruhi, K-On and the likes, and there goes my path to degeneracy

unironically, Overlord got me back into anime. saw the chair vs ainz fight on utube and got hooked. watched it last fall and loved it. Even got into cheesy isekai nip light novels because of it. never even lurked on Sup Forums beforehand but now Its my 2nd most lurked board. was a typical toonami pleb and never considered myself a weeb until now.

youtube.com/watch?v=8qLl145FqQg

This shit right here. Too bad the show's not actually that great watching it now, but it blew my mind back then.

Robotech, no really.
In my backwater country we got American cartoon shit designed to make me want toys, mazinger Z, Robotech and Voltron (the 100+ vehicle one).
Yes yes, I know that technically Robotech isnt anime but I didnt know the fucking difference decades ago.
After a barrage of nonsensical cartoons with inane episodes in which they never fucked up the bad guys and always ended with the good guys having a blast while watching the sunset, I realized that Robotech (Macross "arc") actually had a story that spanned across many episodes
What had me was Roy Fokker death episode. My kiddy mind was mesmerized at the concept of a death in a "show". It was unil may years later that I got a grasp of the concept of anime.
Patrician choice.

Your mom got me into anime.

No but the first digimon. I thought DBZ was boring and was bullied a lot.

School Rumble.

It was a good primer on SOL / Comedy / Harem while still being endearing and really good.

I still love the series to this day .

I watched anime in my country's broadcast but HxH was the sparkle that got me into anime. A cousin had the GI OVAs and everything started from there.

My first time watching anime, I plan on watching it again some day.

Rec threads belong on

Big 3 crap. Then I watched Death Note and it really blew me away. What kept me going for a long time after that was playing Runescape and I needed something to watch while playing that shit game

Still have the DVD box I bought of this years ago.

I watched Lucky Star in English dub on YouTube. My life took a turn for the worse after that.

I started off with Arpeggio of Blue Steel of all things, but K-On was what convinced me to stay. That's when I knew I couldn't leave Sup Forums.

Help me.

I had several Speed Racer VHS tapes as a kid but didn't watch/read much more than that until started reading American Shonen Jump in the early 00s. One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Naruto mostly at that time. I've always been more of a manga person than anime person.

Though I did watch the anime that aired on Toonami and Adult Swim around that time like Yu Yu and Rurouni Kenshin. I also first saw some of Evangelion at this point since a couple episodes aired on Toonami during that giant robot week, then I think later on Adult Swim.

I had watched the typical anime on toonami and adult swim as a kid, and actually found a couple manga at the scholastic book fair at my school. I didn't realize they were any different from the usual cartoons until I was like 13 though.
That's when I started seeking them out to watch and read.
Naruto and Love Hina.

Doraemon and detective Conan as after school TV.

Super old fag here. The first actual anime I came across (other than butchered, hyper-censored dubs of "Robotech"and "Voltron"), was Akira that I first watched in Junior high back in 1989 (wasn't lying about that old fag shit). Been hooked ever since.

Dragon Ball Z and YuYu Hakusho, used to watch them both on Toonami with my mom. I liked YYH so much that I even got up at 5 am to catch the ending after Cartoon Network moved it there for some reason. I got more into anime and manga after reading the American Shonen Jump.

Full Metal Alchemist subs, the first serie not the remake.
I miss being able to enjoy trash like that.

i think it was haibane renmei back in 2005-2006

Second.

GS mikami my parents rented from blockbuster for me as a kid

Image related

I used to think Digimon was a Pokemon rip-off and I hated the Pokemon anime (my parents wouldn't get me a gameboy/ds so I never played the games) but then I saw Tamers randomly and fell in love with it. After Savers finished I went to some anime website (don't remember which) and binged every season starting from frontier working backwards to adventure and on the way I found a bunch of other weird asian cartoons like steins;gate and death note.
Then I stopped watching anime in middle school because everyone said it was weird. Around tri. chapter 3's release (the only good movie in tri) i found out about it and decided to watch tri. on crunchyroll and just like in elementary school it was a downwards spiral into this shit hole.