In This Corner of the World

Has any Sup Forums in the US/Can seen this movie in theaters this weekend?

inthiscorneroftheworld.com

funimationfilms.com/movie/inthiscorner/

Shout! Factory and Funimation are really pushing it.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=qTCYx-6CUU8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C8IYZkoWodE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Amerilards are just getting this now
I saw it months ago in Europe.

No it's not showing in my city and I don't want to drive for it.

I saw it last week and it was incredible, definitely in my top ten anime. I tried to watch it a second time yesterday with some friends but they only had showtimes for the dub on Saturday.

Yeah, whenever you want to claim to an anime skeptic that animes cover more topics than stuff in kids' cartoons, you can point to this. Not a kids' movie, and not a sci-fi/fanservice fest for 15-year-olds either.

Spoiler: The tone feels so nostalgic and even upbeat. They keep that cheery music and cute humor even through the years of heavy rationing. At least up until when that really bad thing happens to the loli.

Germany was the first one outside of Europe. We payed it with no Your Name though.

It was a good deal.

I love the music, the opening song became my new favorite song and I listened to it at least 6 times on loop the morning after I saw it

youtube.com/watch?v=C8IYZkoWodE

Watch carefully the ending.
And remember the girl who ate watermelon.

>needing the ending to get that

Already saw it. It was very easy to digest (except for being slow as fuck in the beginning). It was sad but it was more like a bitter type of sad by how they delivered everything.

>whenever you want to claim to an anime skeptic that animes cover more topics than stuff in kids' cartoons

Why do you care that other people think about your hobbies?
Why the hell do you want more newfags in the anime/manga community?
The entire western anime culture is suffering because of the large influx of normfags, there is no need bring even more normfags.

Is it worth a 2 hour drive to Denver

>And remember the girl who ate watermelon.

I saw those closing credits. I was the only one who stayed to see them. I don't think they showed if Lin survived the Bomb or not.

I did a 2 hour drive to Charlotte to see it. I thought it was worth it.

>8 hour drive each way
Probably not worth it

We can't see in the movie about her things.
I recommend original manga.

Watched the webrip yesterday. Liked it.

LIN PLEASURES OLD MEN FOR MONEY

Not much opportunity in WW2 era Hiroshima prefecture.

Shusaku being one of her clients was the better easter egg

Mexico got all three

Britain has had
>Koe no Katachi last November
>Your Name last November
>In This Corner in June
>the SAO movie in May
>Napping Princess
in the last year.

Mexico had the first four plus Fairy Tail and Yu Gi Oh, Shin Godzilla, some theaters even showed Millennium Actress and an IA concert as part of a japanese festival thing,

>not playing anywhere near Jacksonville, FL apparently

Welp.

In my opinion, it was a bad movie because it was not relatable to almost anyone.
I would classify it as an animated, extremely historical accurate, binnacle. That's why it doesn't works in the dramatic aspect, because it looks like they didn't pick or edit any of the scenes... that kind of slice of life stuff it's really boring to watch (I'm not saying slice of life is boring... just what we see in this movie. For example, Totoro is still slice of life, but they managed to show us the interesting thing about it).
One would think the WWII set would make this a great movie... but it really doesn't, in my opinion, if you are not japanese. I think all the emotions are so encripted that anyone who isn't japanese can't understand all that pain. It is so encripted that I think it can't be named art.

For example, I'm mexican. I think that if someone show me or shows to any other mexican a photo of the Regis Hotel, the photo will make us feel uncomfortable, sad or angry. Why? Because that was one of the bulidings that was destroyed by the 1985 earthquake. I wasn't there, and I bet a lot of mexicans weren't there... but it was so horrible, that everything related to that earthquake is a sensible fiber to any mexican. But, if I show you that photo to anyone else in the world without any explication of it, they won't be shocked at all. And in my opinion that's fine, no one should feel empathy for everything... the job of the writers and directors is to make us feel empathy about the situation of the movie (or any other piece of art).

tl;dr
I don't like this movie because it will be relatable just for japanese people (or very vulgar emotional people).

>Why do you care that other people think about your hobbies?

Most people need everything they do to be validated by other people.

Not saying it's the right way to live. It is imo pretty pathetic and the sign of underage.

RIP

Saw it two weeks ago. It's good.

I didn't realize there were end credits but she's almost certainly dead, we overhear a sailor mention that the red light district was razed during the firebombing

Was Lin a Chinese comfort woman? Lin doesn't sound like a Japanese name unless they meant Rin

No. Her name is 白木りん Shiraki Rin.

thanks

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the movie being unrelatable from that aspect you're addressing. The movie wasn't just specifically for Japanese people or even WW2 victims, but it's for anyone who ever thinks about their own lives between wondering what to do (daydream) and actually doing something even if it's different from expectations (reality). It's less about the actual war drama than it is about the story of a person who commits to her new home and family duties just to keep everyone smiling, even during harsh times and situations where it seemed hopeless to continue doing so. It works for a general audience above adolescence who want to see the importance of working hard just to maintain being ordinary, as opposed to a specific Japanese restriction of cultural understanding.

Now, the only thing I would actually say that is unrelatable is the protagonist Suzu's status as a forced bride, but that does not negatively mean it's a flaw to the movie. Suzu had to get along with her husband, her sister-in-law, nd so many few faces that will be with her for her entire life, and when she gets so attached to them (to the point of forsaking old memories of Hiroshima), she ends up experiencing more happiness and sadness than she expect to feel. It's a bride story that might not be absolutely understandable for anyone, but it does resonate a very realistic feeling of discovering new happiness and hardships by constantly changing in small steps just to keep everyone happy.

It was very relatable and interesting to me and I'm not Japanese, don't care about history at all (historical used to be one of my least favorite genres), dislike war settings in movies, and feel almost no emotion while watching most anime. I only watched it because my friend made me, just from looking at the summary and genres listed I thought I would hate it, but it ended up being one of my favorite movies of all time, probably 4th or 5th.

If we're doing comparisons now, just in 2017 america has gotten
>kizumonogatari 3
>one piece film gold
>sailor moon r the movie
>yugioh dark side of dimensions
>your name
>in this corner
>black butler book of the atlantic
>sao ordinal scale
>irregular at magic high school the film
>fairy tail dragon cry
>kabaneri complilation films
Thats just the films that already came out. Napping princess, a silent voice, nanoha reflection, no game no life zero and a rerelease of lupin the third castle of cagliostro are coming soon. A bunch of ghibli rereleases happened too, along with the first 3 eps of magus bride before japan and a love live concert just for special non movie related stuff.
And that's not including the alamo drafthouse rereleases of stuff like akira and paprika.

When is this movie going to come out on DVD?

>it ended up being one of my favorite movies of all time, probably 4th or 5th.
Well, that's something I can't really understand. I don't want to force myself to like this movie because I know it is obviously not a movie for people like me... but always I found something that I don't like, I can understand why it would like to other people with different character to mine.
Please tell me, why did you like it so much? I really want to understand it.

One of my favorite aspects was the overall atmosphere. Most of my favorite anime are soulcrushing tragedies or mindbending psychological, and part of what I love about this movie is how it manages to seamlessly blend the tragic parts with the comedic parts. When a tragedy/horror/drama just randomly drops in jokes it completely kills the atmosphere and immersion for me, but I don't dislike fun and comedy. Watching something like Lain, which I actually did like a lot, will just kill you mentally if there isn't any break from the harshness, so seeing it done correctly is nice for me. Most of my favorite anime are guilty of being quite unrelenting in this aspect, which I can thankfully handle because I don't get too emotional (most of the time).
Another thing I loved were the characters (Suzu is mai waifu). They all seemed so fun, enjoyable, and likable despite the horrors happening around them. I actually cared about what happened to most of them, which is more than I can say for most anime.
Lastly the aesthetic was fucking beautiful, not just the nostalgic, whimsical art style and animation but also the music. That opening song was beautiful.
I think maybe the fact that I went in expecting trash may have influenced how much I liked it, because how a show/movie ended up compared to how you were expecting it to be have a huge effect on how you look at it, but I loved it and that's what matters to me.

I think almost the same as you, but with a little difference that I don't know I will be able to explain, but I will try.

I think almost everything you said is established in the movie:

> It's less about the actual war drama than it is about the story of a person who commits to her new home and family duties just to keep everyone smiling, even during harsh times and situations where it seemed hopeless to continue doing so.
>Suzu had to get along with her husband, her sister-in-law, nd so many few faces that will be with her for her entire life, and when she gets so attached to them...

Everyone can clearly see that in the animation, the draws, the actions and the dialogue of the characters... but we never get to see anything interesting about that approach, that's to say, any conflict or any consequence. And, if it is any conflict, it is portrayed in a very un-emotional way (like when the little girl died) or it is cowarldy evaded (like in the scene when Suzu is almost unfaithful to her husband), and if it is any consequence, we can't see how it affect the characters (as we can see after Suzu lost her arm).

In my opinion, the movie evades every emotinal conection with the audience and for that reason, the great thematical approach we have isn't well delivered and, therefore, movie fails as a piece of art.

After a little research, I found that the movie won a lot of awards, and I couldn't understand it... however, then I realize that all those awards were japanese. That's why I though: "Well, maybe japs liked that movie because it touched their historical sensible fiber"

Saw it in my local theater but that is just pure luck since the release is quite limited in my area. I thought it was pretty damn great, I loved the refreshingly different art style.

I watched it last Thursday. My sister watched it a few days before and didn't tell me about it. Turns out that Thursday was the last day to watch it.

I honestly have no idea what to think about it. I have no opinion. It left an impression but I'm not sure what that impression is.

Are you, by any chance, a Cancer (zodiacal sign)?
However, thanks for explain me.

What detail are you pointing out? I already watched the ending and it's no longer airing so I can't watch it anymore. I don't really remember anything in particular.

I watched the credits too but honestly I have no fucking idea what was going on in them. Especially during the lipstick part.

I watched it 2 weeks ago with my sister. It's incredible.
This is the second best slice of life in war time anime I've ever watched :x