Legend of the Galactic Heroes thread.
Best ship edition

Other urls found in this thread:

mega(DOT)nz/fm/peJyGSiL
yumena.com/gin/c_guide-e.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GwTn5CKubN8
youtube.com/watch?v=CUf-8aXt9Hw
youtu.be/fZjpsaU1Ew4
animeblvd.com/heldensagen-vom-kosmosinsel-yang-wen-li-artfxj-1-8-scale-figure.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Obligatory.

nice boat

Good taste comrade

ReinhardXSiegfried

Close, but true bestship is both practical and stylish.

As a discussion-starter, how well do you anons think the empire would have done if it had been Reinhard that had died on geiersburg instead of Kircheis?

this is new, fucking new, nice.

The Empire would have torn itself apart most likely.
Oberstein, Reuenthal, and goldenbaum remnants would certainly fight for control

Honestly I feel that Kircheis could have rallied the Imperial elements pretty well, perhaps losing a few admirals along the way (reunthal, as you mentioned, possibly bittenfeld).
Given that Oberstein was more for the Empire than for either the Goldenbaums or Reinhard, I think he would've lent his support to Siegfried and act a bit more independently than he did with Reinhard, if only to set up Kircheis better to seize control.

Goddamn I miss old jap spaceship designs

Hey while we're all here can somebody give me a list of all the orchestral pieces that appear in the anime? There's one I have been looking for but I haven't been able to find it on youtube

YouTube LoGH ost. Many pieces are very long so the music you're trying to find may be a small part of a long 30 minute orchestration.

Which episode and at what time? There's a list of all the pieces at the specific times in the episode they take place up on Gineipaedia.

You're in luck user, I happen to have a whole folder of these top-tier designs. Let me know if you want me to dump them.

When is the remake coming out?

>26 episodes
can't wait to vomit

Upload it to mega.

I don't think it would change much in the long term. In the short term it would depend a lot on whether Kircheis is willing and able to replace Reinhard. If Kircheis is not the reigns of power stay with Lichtenlade untill Reuenthal gathers enough power to take over. The Lippstadt Rebellion not costing the Empire nearly as dearly as the failed invasion by the Alliance means that Phezzan and the Terraist cult will see an Imperial victory in the war as an inevitability and act accordingly as they did in our series' cannon.

Don't remember the name of the episode, but I remember the battle that had the piece took place just outside of a black hole. And I'll be sure to use Gineipaedia, thanks user.

yeah!

Eh, never used Mega before but I'm assuming this is how you do it?
mega(DOT)nz/fm/peJyGSiL

>Imperial Fleet Flagship Brünhild
>Low orbit over the planet Phezzan

LoGH RTS when?

never, only phone games from here on out.

>flag ship looks like any other ship of the line
Really activating my space almonds

I think that's Odin not phezzan since barbarossa is still operating

>LoGH RTS
I've waited so long
Im sure there is a mod of something out there, I probably just haven't looked hard enough

Imagine how fucking set the univserse would be if kircheis never died and Reinhard adopted him as legal heir before he kicked the bucket.

There's two: the 2008 strategy game that was never released outside japan/localized (pic related is the translation for the HUD) and the Sea of the Stars mod for Sins of a Solar Empire (which hasn't been updated in over 3 years). Both are good but aren't perfect; the 08 game is more tactics focused and does a good job of translating the show's battles into a controllable form, but lacks higher strategy gameplay as it's mission-focused. The SoaSE mod is the reverse, but a bit better in the gameplay department as it allows you to control more ships than but without the formations and show's 'tactics'.

There's decent LOGH mods for games like Stellaris and Sins of a Solar Empire iirc.

I have this.

Less than 3 weeks until the announcement.

That's actually very nice, thanks friend.

How is that? The reason people constantly lament Kircheis' death was because he could get a word in with Reinhard, always. It's not because he was some God that was good at anything and everything but because he always had Reihards trust and ear and wold balance the guy out going so far as acting as his contience. Hildegard was proabably a far better administrator politician and regent than Kircheis would have ever been and after Reinhard unified the universe that's what the Empire needed.

Kircheis would never make a good replacement for Reinhard simply because he lacked his ambition and fighting spirit. Although he would've been as capable, it's out of character for him to dream of ruling the universe as much as Reinhard did. The main thing that drove Reinhard forward was his battle lust that eventually grew to universal control. Kircheis would've been the one who to straighten him out from that path which could lead to more bloodshed.

If Reinhard really took the bullet then the empire would be finished. Afterall, the next heir they tried to set up was a spoiled brat with almost nothing except his blood to prove worthy for the throne. They need a replacement and neither are a good fit. All Kiricheis wanted in life was to be Reinhard's number 2 and Annerose's love.

No, that led me back to my account.

yumena.com/gin/c_guide-e.html

>last updated: 20 years ago
It's always fun to see remnants of the Old Web.

Which would you recommend/should I sink time into?

This nothing ship is the largest vessel in the series

Would it really be possible for an empire of a few hundred "feudal" backwards world to have a fleet of ~150,000 large space-faring warships? Would it really be possible for an inefficient corrupt bureaucracy to have a similar sized fleet?

Hell even the galactic empire in star wars, at is peak, only had 25,000 Star Destroyers. In Warhammer 40k the million world Imperium only has a few thousand capital ships in each segmentum (of which there are 5).

LOGH seems to really go overboard with the ship numbers

Yes, because:
1) the ships really arn't all that big
2) Star Wars and 40k, while fun series, are NOT a good metric to go by.

Honestly, get the stellaris mod like the other user mentioned for active updates/empirebuilding sim.

'Large' in this context is no more than one kilometer. LoGH ships are extremely specialized, being little more than fusion reactors, primary neutron/electron beam cannons, primary/maneuvering thrusters and ECM equipment. More than likely there are a considerable number of dedicated shipyards/manufactories that can constantly shit out massive numbers of the same few (and highly economically-designed) ship classes at any given time, especially for the FPA whose designs were said to be highly modular.

Best OP & ED

youtube.com/watch?v=GwTn5CKubN8

youtube.com/watch?v=CUf-8aXt9Hw

>Star Wars and 40k have realistic depictions of space fleets
lmao

Agreed! ED 3 is also superb.

>that lower 4th panel

that's so misleading it's actually funny

Planets like Westerland weren't representative of the Empire as a whole. They were just planet-scale follies designed just to please their owners.

>3 great EDs
>only 1 great OP
Was that the ultimate proof that FPA>Empire?

Really? Those numbers have always seemed small to me. I mean the FPA an alliance of planets spanning half of the navigatable space has a population of 13 billion, so a little less than double Earth's current population.

and I have this to add

The exposition in the novels is pretty clear about the galactic population being a shadow of its former self, having shrunk down significantly due to societal and economic changes.

The scale of the imperial forces in LoGH actually checks out.
Hundreds of thousands of ships would be manned by tens of millions of people (space battle casualty numbers show a ration of a bit more than 100+ dead per destroyed ship). Adding the various parts of the military that don't go into random space battles, you would end up with a military size of about 200 million.
The imperial population is about 25 billion when the story starts, so a military of that size would be less than one percent of the population, which is a reasonable size for the military of a large country that's in the middle of a long war.

How can Imperials even compete?

By bleeding the Alliance from the inside out with an instigated civil war, and then following that by forcing passage through the Phezzan Corridor, if I recall correctly.

This is one of the reasons I love LotGH. It's almost a who's who of my favorite composers.

LoGH OST Fun Fact: The climax of My Conquest is the Sea of Stars was designed around Maurice Ravel's Bolero, but this was at one time put at risk by copyright issues.
The piece was thought to have been at the public domain at the time, since production took place 50 years afer Maurice Ravel's death, so securing the rights was to be only a matter of commissioning an orchestral performance or licensing a recording.
That turned out not to be the case. The Treaty of San Francisco provided for a copyright term extension, as a kind of war reparation to copyright owners in Allied countries whose copyrights were not respected in Japan during WW2. Bolero, created by a Frenchman before the war, was eligible for a copyright extension of over 10 yeras in Japan, meaning the composition was still under copyright.
The production insisted on keeping it and ended up having to scrounge up the money to cover the unexpected expenses required to settle the rights for Bolero's inclusion in the movie.

>"Fun Fact"
>is actually fun
Wow. You'd better not tell me that you made up the whole thing or else I'm going to pretend to be your loyal servant for 3 years while secretly placing poison in your wine.

Should we post that list of death again?

Has there been -any- news on the remake? I'm steel reeling from Tytania, but hey. Is it based on the new manga, or is even that still unknown?

Königs Tiger. Lived more times than any other ship.

I never thought I'd realistically be finishing the original before we even get more information on the remake.

Masatoshi Tahara, who was executive producer for the anime, wrote about it in the afterword to the Sogensha SF edition of LoGH volume 6.
Judgning by the first two volumes of the English edition, Viz is not translating these afterwords, which is a shame since they shed a lot of light on the historical and cultural context of LoGH.

FWIW, here is my shitty unproofread translation of the relevant portion of the afterword.

Bolero only entered public domain as of 2016.

>1) the ships really arn't all that big
I beg to differ
youtu.be/fZjpsaU1Ew4

September 20th is so close. You can wait.

Copyright law is not fully harmonized, so it still happens that works cross into the public domain in different times.
Ravel died in 1937, so countries with a copyright term of life+50 would expect to see Bolero in the public domain as early as 1987. Japan was (and still is) a life+50 country, which is why the Bolero issue came as a surprise.
The 2016 date is what you get when you calculate the copyright term for a life+70 country, and add a copyright term extension of 8 years and 120 days granted by France to French musical compositions made before or during WW2. The question of whether or not that extension stacks with life+70 outside of France is still a matter of some controversy, but as of 2016 it's finally a moot point.

Neat, thanks.

I think all the OPs are great. Even the 4th grew on me once I got over the Engrish.

I'm going to buy it.
Will be dumping it on the usual /cm/ thread again when I get it.

Has anyone pre-ordered this yet?
goddamn Im so reluctant, I dont know how long they plan to sell it until stop.
animeblvd.com/heldensagen-vom-kosmosinsel-yang-wen-li-artfxj-1-8-scale-figure.html

That's pretty cheap compared to some of the other figures I've gotten, I think I will grab it when it comes out. Won't be able to preorder right now though due to financial situation, but thanks for pointing it out.
I assume this was made because of the upcoming remake? He seems pretty high-quality.

Isn't that useful to not get targeted?
>they fucked this up in Ender's game movie

Battles in Logh happen at really long distances, i don't think it matters.

Why bother to remake something that is already almost perfect and still holds up?

I hope they at least give it the same treatment that XEBEC gave to the new Yamato series

Perceval > Brünhild >> the rest

Is this worth watching? Its pretty old after all

Yes, oh god yes it is worth watching.

Truly one of the best anime narratives in existence. It's a modern day epic. If you take an interest in political and military theory this show will make you sweat buckets

Literally the best anime of all times.

Let's just say they were peculiar

There's a brand new anime adaptation coming out early next year.
It would probably be right down your alley.

Wow thanks guys. I'd seriously never heard of this one before. I'm up to episode 4 and I'm already hooked. This is gonna be epic. Even by that stage the intrigue and the nemesis stuff is pretty deep. This is gonna be good.

Is the writer an SJW?

Please kill yourself

I don't think so. He is anti-war and really cares for democracy, but his work is based on the idea that the existence of a "proper" democratic regime alone isn't sacred and isn't enough to guarantee a country that's not shit to live in.
The work is filled with examples where people who go against the rules or the establishment bring about good results, or conversely peolpe that fail to go aganst the rules where they should and end up allowing bad things to happen.

I'd sooner call the guy a libertarian than an SJW, but that wouldn't be too accurate either.

After I spam watch this. Until then you can suck all of my dick faggot. I got 4 days until my next lecture. I can fit this in.

No watch Re:zero instead.

Everyone that uses the term SJW should be castrated.

アースグリム

He's willing to point flaws in both Monarchies and Democracies while also portraying the benefits each can produce

Watch the 2 movies first

I thought the first OP was fantastic, totally classic with excellent juxtaposition of the melodramatic song and the Holst-style orchestral music that precedes and follows it.
The 3rd OP is the best, incredibly affecting both musically and visually.
I never liked the 2nd or 4th OP though.

Made me cry more times than Clannad.
10/10

The 2nd OP has one really good thing going for it:

Zu jeder Zeit, an jedem Ort, bleibt das Tun der Menschen das gleiche.
In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

I said it's phezzan because it doesn't look all prussian barroque but art decoish.

>In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
You're totally right.

The venn diagram of people who like LotGH and Clannad is probably two circles as far apart as Heinessen and Odin.

I liked both. You mean both planets crash at some point in the novels?

These ships are too lewd.

I guess Il wait then, thanks for the headsup user

>spend days struggling to survive without any LoGH threads
>suddenly there are two at the same time
>both die because the conversations are divided
Oh well.