Why is this show admired?

Why is this show admired?

The animation quality was at times enjoyable but the narrative was complete drivel, often predictable and nothing in this show stood out to be as harrowing as the themes. Maybe it's meant to be viewed as a battle shounen but if that's the case then it does a pretty poor job at justifying the various character's strengths. If Bradley can slice a slug in half then shouldn't his thrust shatter anyone's arm that tries to parry? Obviously it's not a battle shounen but if the focus is story then what's with the convenient ending? It's not much of a sacrifice if Ed no longer needs or wants alchemy anyway. Etc.

This show felt like a jack of all trades.

What's the movie in the middle

yes

"The 2000 Yard Stare," a famous painting by war artist Tom Lea

both versions are pretty mediocre, just very popular since they are a bit edgy and easy to get into very entry level all in all.

It's just a piece of art. If you want horrific war story though, watch Come and See.

Anyway, I think it's just admired for the same reasons Dragonball Z, Bleach, Gundam Wing, etc. are admired. They aired internationally, and captivated a lot of kids' imaginations. It definitely has some glaring flaws, but when people reflect back on these series, they're usually reminded of happy memories and whatnot.

Fuck, I mean, I didn't really get the hype of FMA, but even I get nostalgic when I hear that damn L'arc en ciel OP.

>Obviously it's not a battle shounen
This is, perhaps, the most confusing part of your post. Assuming you genuinely use the term "battle shounen" (which is not always accepted on Sup Forums), how is FMA not one?

>Why is this show admired?

Because its one of the best shounen.

So basically what you're saying is people who admire FMA are idiots since you brought those three series up

Idk user, wasnt to great to me perhaps enjoyable...

Not idiots, user, children- and those who once watched said shows when they were younger. I really doubt anyone here got into Dragonball when they were in their twenties or late teens.

Watch All quiet on the western front. The 1930 one

Thanks for the rec, user. Have you seen Hell Is For Heroes?

Why are series like Bleach and Naruto still somewhat admired? I haven't really watched FMA since I never really got into it when it was releasing in the US initially but I imagine it does a lot of stuff better than Bleach and Naruto (at least later on in these series) even if by a marginal degree. So just think of why people like other shonen series and apply that to FMA.

Babby's first shonen

fma was amazing and bleach has been dead since 2012 episode 366 its depression at it worst.

You could still read the manga if you for some reason wanted more Bleach. It's also over but it went on for a few more years after the anime stopped.

you guys need to watch fate zero also watch mirai nikki

yeah I actually have started to read but I rarely have time now because the work life blows do you know any good manga apps.

>do you know any good manga apps
Recently I've been downloading scans and reading the image files with Irfanview. For series I don't download I usually read on Kissmanga. I don't use any special apps or anything. And it depends on what you mean by "manga app". Just a simple image viewer that works well with manga image files? An app that is connected to a bunch of different manga sites?

I use Manga Rock for my android phone.

when i think of "battle shounen" i think of hxh, yuyu, dbz, bleach etc where the driving narrative is battle/combat with the goal of acquiring strength/power. although there's battle/combat in fma, that's not really what it's about. there's "battle" in just about every anime targeted at men

I think that the same elements still apply to FMA, with the brothers' desire to get stronger and learn more about alchemy. The main difference I see between FMA and the series you listed is that it fucking ends - i.e. it has a full narrative arc to it. Perhaps the fighting doesn't have the exact same focus, but it's definitely still there.

the brothers were definitely on a quest for knowledge, but definitely not on a quest for strength. what exactly did they do towards improving their skills? more to the point, how often did they act in the interest of gaining power? their actions were clearly an antithesis to that and in the end their strength was useless compared to the supporting characters like scar, mustang, ling and so on

With alchemy, knowledge is strength.

pretty sure ed fought pride and others with mostly parries. they didnt learn/apply any gained knowledge as something to use in combat. all they learned was what the antagonist was doing, but then again that didn't amount to anything either since hohenheim not only knew all of that stuff already, but had already countered the whole show before it even began

i must have missed it but at what point did ed improve his combat effectiveness via alchemy/knowledge, and not just some sort of existential state of mind / realization

As an example, when Ed deconstructed the soul-attached armour in the old lab based on what he observed from Scar.