Voluntary Consumer Cooperation

Most consumer products are sold at a tremendous markup, despite costing pennies to make.

What's stopping consumers from voluntarily starting a cooperation to produce goods? If each member were to contribute an equal share of capital for production costs, couldn't millions of contributors organize to pay mere pennies (or even fractions of pennies) each for consumer goods?

Consumers could save billions.

willpower, knowledge, experience, integrated circuit fabrication units.
The initial outlay is always a big step because of the manufacturing hardware necessary to handle small scale fabrications, but pooling resources will be strong if a coordinated citizen effort is behind it.
If all goes well do the same for Thorium reactors for power distribution to end all fossil fuel systems
Invest in fusion technology like the Wendlestein 7-x stellarator and corner the market on it.

Couldn't the resources be pulled together through crowdfunding? We would just need to find enough people who are interested in saving money on basic goods, and are looking for an alternative to buying overpriced shit.

This could just be the start of of a social transformation.

And by resources, I mean resources for the initial outlay. It could start small and expand to produce more goods when it gains more consumer participation.

that's the thing, no project like this has happened and the people have enough resources to pull it off, but who do you trust?

Couldn't the organizers of the project have a contract with the people who donated to the crowdfund with a money back guarantee, should things go south?

I'm almost considering starting a discord chat or something to organize this. This could save millions of people money and even make life affordable for many again.

bringing IC and lcd manufacturing to NA would be a boon to the continental economies and job markets. Would also disrupt the asian market in many ways.
Keep the thread alive and see if more people catch on before going the extra mile

Would you be interested in joining a throwaway chat server on discord or something? I need someone to bounce ideas off of, because I think I'm going to try and give this thing a shot.

I could just make it and post the link.

just popped in during break, post what'cha got and I'll check back whenfreee
keep bumpin

what's your ICO? Anarchocoin?

Thanks man, I've got some friends ready to help keep this thread bumped as well. I'll try to keep it alive.

discord slash V7kVfj8

Pardon my ignorance but I'm currently a no-coiner. I'm a college student working a part-time internship so between that and having a girlfriend, I haven't really had the energy to look into crypto currency, although my friends keep nudging me to do it and I'll probably get into it when things get a little more stable.

I'm aware that ICO stands for initial coin offering, but what does it mean in this context?

Bump

just making sure this isn't a coin scheme.
what apparatus collects the funds for the costs?
why not just have the government subsidize or contract companies to produce basic goods, capping inflation on those goods at 1% per year?

>what apparatus collects the funds for the costs?
In order to assure accountability, I would probably start as a small scale operation using a crowdsourcing website of some sort. I'd encourage people to contribute by painting them a picture of all the money they could save. Once the syndicate grows in members, then it can size up and enter more and more markets.

>why not just have the government subsidize or contract companies to produce basic goods, capping inflation on those goods at 1% per year?
This probably should be a separate discussion as it treads more into the realm of politics. I would be wary of this because it could potentially lead to overcentralization, corruption, and bureaucracy, but who knows what the future holds? For now, I think something like this could be a great start to helping consumers save money on the things they need, and making living/saving for the future more affordable and possible for millions.

To add, the syndicate would be contractually obligated to its contributors to produce what it agreed to produce in the timeframe it agreed to. I haven't yet come to a conclusion on how decisions within the syndicate should be made, but I'm leaning towards direct democracy. Syndicates can be encouraged to produce the most products at the lowest cost for the consumer by market principle; if your syndicate isn't producing, then start/move to one that is superior.

sounds gay lole

That's basically just a not-for-profit corporation. It kind of exists already lol

Non-profits are corrupt

It exists in the form of food co-ops, but I'm talking a full blown consumer takeover of the manufactured goods market. It can exist simultaneously with capitalism and it would only exist for people to save money on essentials; the luxury market would still exist, and people can spend the money they saved on luxury goods or saving.

Idk if they changed it so that OP's can bump their own threads on Sup Forums but here goes my last ditch attempt at saving my thread

Rip

Could an effort like this also be used to grow a cryptocurrency, should it take off? That could theoretically lead to exponential backing from crypto investors.

It definitely could in the future, but I think for now, we should focus on laying down a foundation so people can see that it works as a concept and have faith in it.

Do you want to join the discord? Just use a throwaway, it's only to discuss logistics and get this off the ground. I want to actually create solutions for problems that our nations face.

Link there for anyone interested.

There are co-ops for everything. The difference in price is not much. What you need is a robot operated co-op.

> consumers...
nice to see you have internalized the conditions to such an extent you actually consider yourself a "consumer" instead of a human being.
> Y U No Build Co-Ops???
there are many co-ops from agriculture (blue diamond, ocean spray, etc) to supermarkets (winco, and many others) but making products? not so much.
R&D costs money, design costs money, building a factory costs money, training workers costs money, hiring somebody to manage those workers costs money, advertising, "branding", and distribution costs money, and all the granola good times happy happy thoughts on the planet wont produce a modern product like an computer, an rc car or a power drill without capital.

marxism only works within the framework of an authoritarian state, and then it still lags behind, because nothing is more effective than greed ambition and avarice when it comes to motivating humans to do shit

Why do you think the price difference is so small?

>consider yourself a "consumer" instead of a human being.
I don't care about feelsy crap. I'm actually trying to do this in order to free myself and others from paying tons of money for basic essentials, which cost next to nothing to produce.

>marxism only works within the framework of an authoritarian state
None of this is Marxist, it's all voluntary and there's nothing stopping people from creating a new syndicate to compete with mine.