STEM Thread

Can we get a STEM thread going? Talk about your field and give advice to people looking to get into the STEM fields.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QVrfFXP2SCs&t=9
businessinsider.com/highest-paying-jobs-in-america-2017-3
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4874400/Electricians-earning-156-000-year.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you're going to go into medicine...dont

Let me guess, large debt and foreign workers?

>STEM thread on Sup Forums
Fuck dem teachin lady. Get a brain morans!

>youtube.com/watch?v=QVrfFXP2SCs&t=9

Who said the earth was round? Must be some coco puffs from those fucking vaccines! If it is round how come we dont fall over.
Fuckin college boys and egg heads! Praise Jesus.

I'm about halfway through a CS degree. How badly did I get memed?

I work at Intel.

My best advice is to be good with tech, and have excellent communication skills. Degrees rarely matter. I know people who got to be software development project leaders with a degree in literature.

Be smart, focused, and passionate.
Never give up.

Chemist here, unemployed for 2 years now. fuck STEM.

Mechatronics engineering. C'mon in boys, the water's fine.

Computer Science.

Advice?

Location is big. Even great top programmers in eastern Europe, who have decent English skills, have trouble making good money. European companies pay a decent salary, but not too much. They also are looking for a certain profile.

Even in the US, in most cities, most companies are looking for someone with a degree, preferably from a good school and with a good GPA. Also a few years of experience, references etc. Even places like New York, Boston, Chicago etc. are like this.

San Francisco is different in that, other than fallow periods (2000-2002, 2008-2010), if you are capable of doing the work, you will get the job. Within a few years if you keep going, you can make $180k, if not more.

how is that possible? come in Europe then, you'll find jobs very easily

Depends, do you know how to market yourself. Also, have you bothered with an internship?

I've heard from plenty of Programmers that GPA doesn't matter, as long as you get yourself a decent portfolio.

Chemistry field here is like 80% women, they literally destroy every company they join and constantly sabotage over all their co-workers.

Physics/Math undergrad. Fun as fuck and respectable if you do well and aren't retarded. Job outlook isn't massive but a Masters or a separate Bachelors in Engineering will help.

wtf never heard of this, its full of females here but its not that bad

All I can say is the me and my brother bring in a combined average of $231k (in 2015) a year, being part-time mechanics (34 hours a week), being weekend DJs/sound+supplies+tables+chairs providers and weed growers/sellers/oil makers.

t.collegelet, brainlet ruralfag in SoCal

You can't get that type of money in Britain. Even Mechanics with their own businesses will be on about £40k-£50k.

Physics bro here. Just don't be retarded and don't be afraid of mathematic 'dirty work'
Shitty integrals are your life, dude

Come home to SoCal white man. Most non-whites are in enclaves in the city. Beautiful here.

Nah, Cars aren't my thing. I much prefer buildings and Electrics.

Why? Will go to medschool this fall

This is crazy, this would be like a bad engineering salary.

Systems Engineer here, out of work STEM are just shit at thier jobs. A degree doesn't make you valuable, competence does. STEM is cash money, if you're not making over 150k after 5 years in field it's you not the field.

Different user here, I am almost done as well with a CS degree. Currently doing an internship redesigning the website of an observatory, kind of large project for a website. I also applied to around 10 internships for the summer waiting for a call back.
Do you think I will be good

Mech&Energy Engineering specialize in aerospace AMA

You should go into lib arts since you need to work on spelling. It's "slide" not "stem"

Metallurgical Eng. My advice if you're a Brit is to move to the US, Canada, or Austalia, because you're going to be severely underpaid in the homeland.

Stagnating Economy, man. I'm considering going over to America when I've finished Uni.

Why are you doing Web work as a CS major, any yutz with an AS is Web capible.

I can get basically get a guaranteed work visa in Australia, due to family. I'd rather go to Burger land for guns and better pay, though.

I'd say so, companies only really give a shit about experience. They don't want to hire some kid, straight out of college who has no experience.

Been doing software engineering for a while. It's great if you enjoy problem solving and money. Just don't be afraid to ask for more money or move companies if needed. The field is in hard demand of skilled people so you hold all the cards.

I actually wanted to work in the UK, but the salary I was offered for the same job title with 5 years experience made me laugh out loud.

Energy Engineering?

I kinda got pushed into this by a friend, I won't be done with this project till June since it is that large. About 8k lines of web design rewritten for a different template. Hopefully I get a much better internship over the summer. I have a family connection who put in a good word for me at a couple companies nearby. Just waiting for a call back.

I know, 4 years of Uni and a year or two of experience will get you £30,000 a year. It's really disgraceful.

Any intern options in medical imagining?

First years Robotics fag here

>My markts are below needed
>number 33 on the wait line
>Somehow I got in

Might be Im a brainlet but I find it hard. The most important thing is to know at 100% what you want to do with your degree otherways you lack the motivation and everything goes downhill when you get ass raped in the first examams

don't get into gamedev, whatever you do.
just
euugh.

I always thought I was a brainlet, turned out that I just had ADHD/Dyslexia and never got adequate support in school. Due to that, I can now go onto doing STEM due to me finding out the issue.

I am up for anything as long as it is within the field.

Who /industrial/ engineering here?

I cant speak for foreign work, but there is a merger happening between the ACGME and AOA (MD and DO programs) this is going to squeeze out some of the lesser residency spots that are available which means the U.S. is in for an even bigger shortage of physicians in the next decade or two

it does not matter how many medical students schools take in, what matters is the number of training spots that are available for soon to be physicians. Right now there is a 1.4 ratio between spots and students (a good thing as there SHOULD ALWAYS be more spots) this should be going down to 1.0 by around 2024 which would affect students that get accepted into medical school to start in the fall of 2020.

the good news is, physicians are going to be making some serious bank as the growth does not meet the supply.

Do internships. Network with people. Stay up on new technologies. And whatever you do, don't take jobs at companies that are behind on current technology. No matter how well they pay.

So, effectively they're creating a monopoly on positions?

I don't even know why people bother going STEM in the UK when the graduate salaries are barely a premium over libarts or business. Why work hard getting an engineering degree when you can easily achieve a first or 2:1 in business while slagging off responsibility and going out every night.

Tried Accountancy before, made me want to kill myself. I absolutely despise finance. I guess I'm too "Mechanically" minded to do it.

Also, I'm looking to expatriate once I have a bit of experience, may as well get a degree here and emigrate somewhere where there is decent pay.

it was originally done because MD students were mad that D.O students were able to take their residency spots but not vice-versa. This is because a D.O can sit for the USMLE but a MD cannot because they do not learn the two years of osteopathic medicine in addition to all of the other stuff.

In exchange, MD school tends to be heavier on immunolgy and biochemistry

anyways, now its going to be all open. International medical grads are going to be cut out first, they are the first gone because nobody wants IMG students anymore as they were the students who could not get accepted into a MD or DO program.

The U.S. government pays clinics/hospitals something like 200k/spot/year to have the didactic training, staff, salary (for the physician in training). its expensive but that's how medicine has been here for decades. Unless the gubment opens up their wallets, the squeeze will really be felt in the next few decades.

er MD cannot sit for the COMLEX (exam that D.O. students take)

STEM is a scam to get smart people to enter fields that have no licensing or collective bargaining. They work harder and get paid less.

Accounting, law, medicine, veterinary, finance, and actuarial fields all pay better for less work and continued education.

businessinsider.com/highest-paying-jobs-in-america-2017-3

Just look at how often medical and legal fields appear compared to anything related to engineering. In tech you have to be a lead/designer/architect to crack the list, whereas entry level attorneys and pharmacists can kick your earnings in the teeth.

Yes, this is how all the good jobs work. You get a license or get in a union and you have exclusive access to work that people need.

Cops and HVAC workers regularly out-earn engineers. It's all licensing and unions. Willingly choosing to go elsewhere is just willingly taking more work for less money.

>when the graduate salaries are barely a premium over libarts or business
Because I would feel like a failure
>Why work hard getting an engineering degree when you can easily achieve a first or 2:1 in business while slagging off responsibility and going out every night.
Because I would feel like a degenerate

More over when you get in finance you always have to blow someone; atleast when you go CS, robotics, electrical you can set up your own thing and try by yourself

It's the exact opposite in Britain. Most people in Construction/Building Service Engineering despise Unions and work on their own.

try to create know-how or to learn it in any field

best is to combine real finances with real math and real tech (non meme CS) and to learn\make some know-how

then people are able to bargain with top jews or make something own

Do you not understand that there are a ton of professional engineering licenses? I have my PE for example, and having my PE bumps my salary negotiating power way up.

We have institutes in Britain which you usually have to be affiliated with to get a job like the IET. (Insitute of Engineering Technology)

Depends. If you have enough experience, nobody cares about your GPA or where you went.

Why would you have to suck dick in finance? You bring in money and are paid commission.

Don't let your pride get in the way of providing for your family. That is one mistake I regret, it set me back five years.

Are you a physician? I'm in my second year PA program, graduating in December. Like you said there is gonna be a shortage of docs, which is allowing for PA and NP profession to blossom. Going to go into general surgery as soon as I graduate; loved it during my rotations month

It's not different. People despise unions here because they are jelly haters. They see retards earning tons of money that they don't deserve and it steams them up.

Just take the money.

You know what to do sir

Does region matter? I think adjusted my salary would be close but not exactly that in a place like NYC or California. But then cost of living and taxes are low here.

robotics and AI, gonna get all of u unemplyed soon

Unions aren't really known for getting you jobs. As an Anecdote, my Granddad was in an Electricians Union for 30 years and the only thing he got was a weekend course for a regulation.

Just get a chemical engineering Masters. That's what I did with my useless undergrad chem degree.

Can a robot automate an Automation Engineer?

I mean a real license with real enforcement. Something where if you are hiring or practicing without said license you go to prison.

It's all about restriction of labor supply. Your engineering "license" is nothing more than a certification. It doesn't restrict workers and it doesn't stop the marketing machine flooding your field with competition that falls for the meme.

You work harder, have to be smarter and get paid less. These are facts.

can someone post the meme about not fucking with white people and how we split the atom, opening a new era in science, just to incinerate people who fucked with us?

mainly energy transfer increase energy output efficiency

I was wondering if it was related to Power Distribution, seems to be completely different.

They would stop existing without dues. They get dues from dues paying and working members. Your grandfather was probably blowing smoke and blaming hi failure on something external.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4874400/Electricians-earning-156-000-year.html

In before daily mail. These are market mechanics restricting supply. Work where there is low supply and high demand. Licensure and unions are the only ways to ensure this.

it only creates new jobs

jobs in local state= f ( oportunities of capital accumulation in local state)

if you have an ability to create new value or redistribute old than you will have jobs

Mate, this article is complete shit. Look at the comments. The only places you can get that type of money is in West London, where all the posh cunts live. Or, as danger money, working on the power lines. The average salary for a self-employed Electrician is 30k, whilst for a contractor, it's £27k. (JIB standard rate)

devops is a meme.

I graduated in chem Eng in 2014, near the top of my class from a mediocre state school to a starting salary of 62.5k, which has gone up to 77k currently...going to get my PE and then look elsewhere because this thread makes me feel like a fucking pleb

Also, the 1st image in the post isn't even a fucking UK Socket.

postdoc here at an (((ivy league))) in (((physics)))

it can be sometimes, depends on the job.

You don't get it. PE is a license, issued by states, just like a license to practice law or medicine. Signing off on a technical decision as a PE also has all sorts of legal implications.

UK socket best socket in the world.

>I know people who got to be software development project leaders with a degree in literature

Figures. The company that refused Gates and all.

Probably the safest.

Halfway through my undergrad physics degree with a minor in CS and math. AHHHHHHHH, 6-7 more years of this

studiere Wirtschaftsinformatik uezs.

Chemistry professor here. Literally only our bottom 5% of students do not get jobs. These are the aspies that cannot work with anyone.

One year left in my cyber security bachelors
There are 1.2 jobs for every 1 cyber security professional, meaning I will never be out of work and get paid a decent amount of money.

STEM is overrated, you still struggle a lot to find a job