What's wrong with SAO?

Why does SAO get so much hate on Sup Forums?

It's a solidly decent anime. Serious themes, mostly well developed characters, and good animation. For example, season 1 devotes some time to the emotional implications of getting trapped in a virtual world, and later on the Konno Yuuki story arc is actually very touching.

I get that it has massive flaws: Kirito is a pretty shallow character (his loner phase lasted like 2 episodes), Asuna starts out promising then also becomes shallow, etc. I'm not saying it should be considered an amazing anime - how about a 7 or 8 out of 10?

>unironically thinking SAO is anything other than garbage

bro I asked a fucking question
I genuinely want to know why it's "garbage"

If you google a bit you will find pages and pages of reasons why it sucked. Why would people waste any more time trying to explain it? Watch more shows and maybe you will understand eventually.

Contrarians hate it because it's popular and normalfag-friendly, and Sup Forums is full of contrarians.

Probably people that think that there's profundity to be found in this medium as the status quo.

Sure there's shows that cross that barrier, but most anime is popcorn fiction and for popcorn fiction SAO is top tier. If you're looking for more than what it offers you're probably in the wrong hobby.

You missed the biggest flaw, Yui.

The series really did not need her. Her character makes no real sense. Her interactions with the system make no real sense. Her acquisition makes no real sense.
It was a poor move on the writers part to add her to the story.

It's trite self-insert wish-fulfillment garbage.

>Stuck in an MMORPG
>Immediately dismiss the MM- bit because muh solo loner
>Receive special overpowered skills because muh NEET skills
>Glop glop glop in perfect tsundere waifu because of course all the girls want muh RPG mastah's cock
>Well, maybe the fresh start of the second arc will be betteJUST KIDDING muh magical character transfer

Literally the only thing the series actually did right was have the characters actually progress their relationship instead of spending 500 episodes on misunderstandings and d-d-doushio bullshit.

>Generic bland MC
>Generic bland world design
>Bad plot line, full of holes and it leads to absolutely nothing
>It only progresses because MC is OP
>Girls are just plot devices not actual developed characters, we know nothing of them except that they are cute and love MC dick
>Only good storyline that could have developed into actual character development got cut short and it's never visited again
>Supporting cast, yeah we don't care about them there is no time to do so
>Villains are hollow and with no motive
>Muh I forgot, again lazy writing
>THE YUI BECOMES AN OBJECT SCENE
Specially the last one killed the entire fucking show for me

>Kirito barely trains yet he is supposed to be top tier
>Half of the first half is him meeting random girls, they don't appear again
>Boring murder case
>Fishing episode out of nowhere
>Muh virtual daughter
>Kirito hacks the game to save her
>Kirito doesn't die when he's killed
>His waifu doesn't either
>Kirito doesn't hate the villain because he had a goal or some shit
>Sugu is like Japan's best kendo fighter or some shit but his ex-comatose brother beats her using game skills in real life
>Kirito still has his SAO's EXP in ALO
>New villain is a retard with a smell fetish
>Kirito doesn't notice Sugu is Leafa even though they have the same voice
>Kirito hacks this game too

For me, I enjoyed the show, just hated how it is responsible for so much Isekai shit for the past few years.

Only ones I enjoyed were No Game No Life, Konosuba & that one with that Ako girl.

If you legitimately wanted an answer to that, you would have found it. Let's be honest here, you just want people to jerk you off and agree with you amidst a see of people telling you you're fucking stupid.

The only thing good in this series was Sinon, even though she had PTSD, and they still managed to destroy that. She just became another addition to the Never Smashed Pussy club.

>Sinon
>good

here's your reply

S1 first half are literally the best that isekai genre can offer, too bad S1 second half fell apart
S2 are kinda meh overall, but still not as bad as second half S1, how they go back challenging boss floor is a nice touch though, and the new characters are also fun, because they're not too OP

I only like Mother's Rosario.

The only good thing about SAO is the abridged series.

>tfw you realise that SAO is going to be one of the anime that are still talked about 10 years after their release in the near future
I don't know how to feel about this. Of all the anime, why this one? The story in the LN has gotten progressively better, but the anime animated the beginning - which wasn't really anything special.

Shit should have ended after him walking down the hospital hallways.

The explanation given for the premise is fundamentally retarded. No store would sell this fucking thing.

>Serious themes
Wrong.
>mostly well developed characters
Wrong.
>and good animation
Also wrong.

>Konno Yuuki story arc is actually very touching
This I can agree with. That arc was a solid 5/10 and is the best part of the franchise.

She looks like that girl from Eien no Aselia.

I read all the shit people reply and once again is full of autism and doesn't give me the actual reasons why the show is bad, its the same fucking shit with every SAO thread, and i keep coming to the threads to see if people can give me a legit answer, half of them talk shit out of their ass, and the other half just didn't like the show for arbitrary reasons.

Sup Forums is full of contrarians autist, and so its reddit.

Generic MC and terrible pace.

>Generic MC
Out of all those generic MCs in various anime, he actually quite decent, at least he's not a beta and actually manage to got his own waifu and a harem

>terrible pace.
I do agree about this, especially second half where they just butchered the adaptation with skipping lots of things

And here we fuckin go. Don't mind the immense amount of comments detailing the flaws of the show just go "muh Sup Forums contratuhism" and jerk yourself off for liking such a good show.

He is generic though, he's a poorly fleshed out Gary Stu self-insert whose dick is magnetic to every single female character whose design was thought out.

it has some flaws but it's a decent show overall people hate it just because it became too popular for no particular reason .

>It's a solidly decent anime. Serious themes, mostly well developed characters

I will give the new season another chance because the movie was pretty good and the underworld arc is actually not that bad.

I wanted to like it but it's just so fucking boring and white bread. There are tons of better shows even in its own genre.

Does Alice even want the Kirito dick at the end or was she hungry for Eugene? If not she and Yuuki are the only sane females in this show.

Euego got the original Alice, but Alice synthesis 30 has pretty much joined the harem

It's a gateway anime, but it's fundamentally different from the gateway anime of the past.
In the past Gate way anime were Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. All of those shows hundreds of episodes, and 3 are either still ongoing (One Piece) or have sequels that are ongoing (Dragon Ball Super, Boruto). Thus, people take forever to finish these series, and when they do and ask for similar ones they are likely to receive recommendations for series like Fairy Tail, Yu Yu Hakusho, and other long running shonen. Most people will lose interest in anime before the run out of these 100+ episode shows.

SAO is not an ongoing anime, it is a seasonal one. It, along with Attack on Titan, were the first seasonal anime to really grab the interest of non-anime fans. Why is this important? A lot of fans of seasonal anime look down on people who watch ongoing shonen because they are newfags, even on sites where they don't use the word newfags. Those people used the fact that they knew about and watched all these anime that most hadn't even heard of as one of the signs of experience that made them better than the common shonenfag.
However, SAO has made seasonal anime more popular, meaning that watching seasonal anime is no longer something you can lord over other people. And people don't like having that ripped away from them. It's the same reason people trash Naruto, because before then even shonen shows were something they could use to lord over people who didn't watch anime at all. It's all about feeling superior to other people, and when something happens to upset that feeling you try and get rid of it to restore the status quo.

>>tfw you realise that SAO is going to be one of the anime that are still talked about 10 years after their release in the near future
We're already halfway there. More than that actually, the first episode of the anime came out in early July 2012. That's five years 2 months since then and we're still talking about it. Well, almost 2 months, it will be on the 8th.

>normalfag-friendly

Did we watch the same anime?

Anyways, SAO is utterly garbage.

>However, SAO has made seasonal anime more popular, meaning that watching seasonal anime is no longer something you can lord over other people. And people don't like having that ripped away from them. It's the same reason people trash Naruto, because before then even shonen shows were something they could use to lord over people who didn't watch anime at all. It's all about feeling superior to other people, and when something happens to upset that feeling you try and get rid of it to restore the status quo.
get a look at this fagot. assblasted much that SAO sucks?

I never said SAO didn't suck. I never even implied it. I merely explained why so many people are so butthurt about it compared to the numerous other anime out there that are just as bad or worse.

>GGO
why not shoot Kirito with a shotgun?

I bet if you googled why it was a good show pages upon pages would pop up as well. Why don't you come up with a real point as to why it sucked without saying "Google it" that is the most bullshit response anyone could come up with.

Why do you need people to tell you a shit show is shit, the animation and sound design is pretty good but the story sucks ass for obvious reasons... just embrace your shit taste

Many shows suffer the same flaws as SAO to an even greater degree and aren't hated half as much.

Only good shit is the hentai people made, and even the hentai was mediocre

Paper-thin self insert characters that actually LOSE depth as the series goes on, increasingly stupid "stakes" that are essentially meaningless after SAO, and the most asinine drawn out arc ever in the form of Alicization.

>show is more popular
>more people exposed to it
>more people express distaste for it
What a fucking revelation

That explains the numbers, but not the sheer depth of the hatred some people have for this show.

He'd just deflect.

>>Immediately dismiss the MM- bit because muh solo loner
I'm not going to address your other complaints because they are all at least partially true, but Kirito teams up with at least one other person in every episode. In a couple he even joins a full party. He may act like a loner, but he isn't one.

>Two years worth of semen made a glopping noise as it flowed endlessly into asuna.

Because the entire world bends over backwards to demonstrate how smart and cool Kirito is.

Best sao

He'd just deflect?

It has no business being as popular as it is. It's just an amalgamation of cliches and people act like Reki is a genius when he's not. It's the blandest, most self-insert popular story ever made that I bet you could only describe the character by the one thing they're flanderized with (Kirito? He good boy. Reason? He just is. Asuna loves Kirito. That's it. Etc etc.) Reki was a hack and so his success triggered people because all he did is visit tvtropes.org and just put it on paper. Of course, now with Alicitization and Progressive he's starting to learn how to really write a story so he's getting better but the fact still stands that SAO was a hack job.

>I don't know how to feel about this. Of all the anime, why this one?
I mean, the fact that it's still getting sequels basically makes that a given. Very rarely do people forget about a popular show while it's not over.

The only reason why I pop into these threads is Sinon posting.

I don't care how bad Sup Forums thinks SAO is. It has Suguha, and my dick will never stop getting hard at her sugus.

>five years 2 months since
Fuuuck man. Time is cruel.

>Why do you need people to tell you a shit show is shit
Mother of fucking autism, why can't people just fucking tell WHY it sucks?

>muh gary stu
>muh wish fulfilment
>muh lazy writing
>muh boring characters

SAO is unironically good and it has god-tier OPs. Only butthurt contrarians disagree.

0.5/10, go back to Sup Forums.

>everyone who disagrees with me is baiting
Fuck off.

I'd say it's around a 4/10. Yeah, it sucks for the reasons that have been outlined over and over and I wouldn't call it "good" in any sense. I've just seen way, way worse. Go watch Mars of Destruction and some hentai like Co-Ed Affairs or University Girls if you think anime can't get worse.

It is basically this generation's punching bag. It's a show that is popular to the point of seeing it everywhere, even outside of anime fandom. People exaggerated how great it is, and so there was obviously backlash. What started as just mostly criticizing its flaws when it came out turned into "This is the worst fucking piece of shit ever" when it really caught on and got big. This exaggeration is either because it was more likely to be watched than their favorite obscure show or because they don't like how it represents anime as a whole to plebs. People used to mock Dragonball Z the same way. After that, it was Naruto. Now it's SAO.

>I bet if you googled why it was a good
except that's not how it works
i just googled "why is sao good" just as an experiment and it came up with:

>good characters
not true

>good romance
not true

>EPIC FIGHTS!
lel

>not true
Oh I can play this game too!
>bad characters