Why are professional translations so often so worse than fanmade ones?

Why are professional translations so often so worse than fanmade ones?

because they learned english from the education system and not by themselves in a more efficient way by interacting with native english speakers/people they associate with

>they learned english from the education system
What? Professional translators are generally native speakers. The typical problems are either not knowing Japanese well, or just being fucking retarded and changing what stuff says (or the diction used) simply because they can.

>being fucking retarded and changing what stuff says (or the diction used) simply because they can
>simply because they can
then they're not professional, or independent. As you said, fucking retarded

I'm not sure what you're saying. Is your point that professionals do everything for a reason, or what? Change it to "for no apparent reason," then.

They're unprofessional and incompetent professionals, but it's still their profession.

Because they don't know the context of the text they are translating from.

changing the diction used is translation 101 user, only shitty amateurs try to preserve the exact wording from the original language
the priority should be on preserving meaning, not any of that shit

that said, translators that change the meaning are fucking up bad

Yeah, this. Obsessing over preserving the wording over the meaning leads to some awkward shit.

Is this another one of those isekais?

This is my guess. Lack of passion or knowledge of the source. Translation as translation is fairly easy. To spice it up is more effort. At the same time maybe they keep it simple so it's easier to read which leads to more consumption.

Just fantasy. Though the Queen uses knowledge from "other worlds" to solve problems and advance the plot, so I guess it's kind of like a cousin to proper isekai?

When translating, meaning trumps everything. It's often necessary to change word order or phrasing to get the most accurate meaning.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

>Hero and Demon queen work together for finishing the war with reforms and new knowledges.

Was this the crop rotation that started it all?

But how do you know the translation's bad if you don't know Japanese and have never read the untranslated version to compare?

Context.

Don't pull shit from your ass. I've tried to become a professional translator before and they won't accept you if you don't at least have a retarded english major or something. And you can imagine how many unemployed english majors there are competing for those spots.

Both have their crappy ones

Yeah, but professionals aren't as excusable as amateurs doing it for "free".

It's too bad Extras stopped translating Maoyuu, their translations were much better than everyone who took over for them, both professional and amateur.

what happened to this series, anyway? I think scanlations dried up, but did the series end? is there SOMEWHERE I can read it?

because it was fucking fantastic. I love reading stories about competent people making intelligent decisions.

I just found out the "professional translations" are up to volume 16, which is about 2 more than the really bad amateur ones we were getting before they dried up too. The actual series is complete at 18 volumes.

You can find 1-16 on the secret club.

well hey, I may as well wait til it's fully translated and read it in one go

Now I'm worried, because I don't see any translations for the final 2 volumes and it's been almost a year since they released volume 16 in english.
This series is fucking cursed.

>no raw