So what is your opinion on this show?

So what is your opinion on this show?
Was it smart and deep, shallow and dumb, or somewhere in between? What did you think of the characters? The story?

I remember how much cooler the teaser was than the whole show.

The plot was good but really twisted and the characters' development was somewhat predictable. The subtle references were intellectually stimulating so altogether it was an enjoyable show and it didn't disappoint me at all. Undeniably best Manglobe anime.

All I remember what that girl with a shotgun and the pussy guy suddenly looking cool as fuck.

it was insufferably pretentious, op.

Pino carries the show

There is literally one (1) good episode in the entire show - the one where they were stranded in their boat.

I've been watching anime for 14 years and this is one of the only anime that I find to be genuinely pretentious. I usually have little problem admitting that a show is 2deep4me, sometimes i just don't have enough contextual and cultural knowledge to appreciate a subject, sometimes symbolism goes over my head, sometimes i just can't relate to a certain emotional state of being that is portrayed in an anime.

But Ergo Proxy was a bunch of fucking esoteric hogwash.

I thought it was fine. I don't really see how it could be either deep or shallow though, it wasn't that hard to understand.

(CAN'T WAKE UP)

RIRU!

now I want to watch it again

it was better than Lain

That episode where nothing happens is still to this day one of the greatest episodes in anime

>Was it smart and deep, shallow and dumb, or somewhere in between?
It was none of those things, it was an alright cyberpunk show with some good designs and bad plot points.
>What did you think of the characters?
Alright, I guess.
>The story?
Kind of a mess in terms of direction, there was hardly any clear focus on what the show wanted to tell or what plotline they wanted to follow, and it wasn't even intentional unfortunately.
But overall, it was enjoyable enough.

Heaven forbid if somebody doesn't speak through memes nowadays or says a show is either complete shit or the best thing ever.
It was an alright show with flaws like every other show, most of which come from the erratic direction the plot takes.

Best girl

I found the dub was actually an improvement over the original, makes it much more enjoyable and easier to swallow.

Also Pino is best girl

It was deep and dumb, it really reveals itself as such in the final episodes with all the funny reaction faces after the male lead gets bodied with a twist reveal on his face, then it ends on the corniest way possible, the male lead actually says verbatim: "I'm the Ergo Proxy" while pulling a shit eating grin.

It was great and Raul Creed was a great character but it suffered from being overly complicated in explaining its plot. Which actually was a great plot once you can learn it.

I really enjoyed the show, like an 9/10
If it had more Pino it would get a 10

I'd like to dive into it but I'm not sure if I have
reason to enter.

I saw what you tried to do there, user, but ya blew it.

YOU COMPLETE MY FATE~

this

SOMEBODY SAVE ME, oh wait, wrong show.

During the first half it was a good scifi action flick and if it had continued in that direction i would have probably called it one of the best made.
Unfortunately it just decided to shit all over itself becoming the most pretentious anime I've ever seen. It made the biggest mistake of any psychological shows you can do: unironically sit there and explain everything. Everything from the circus to the gameshow that just explains everything to you, it was all shit.

I've never seen a show go from a 9/10 to a 0/10 so fast

It was really great but had some storyboard issues. I like that they don't treat the viewer like they're an imbecile.

They ran out of time / budget and had to patch things together in a hurry

Would returning humanity win against these proxy fags in an all out confrontation?

I can handle low budget and low animation thats patched together, I mean lain was basically "no budget: the anime". That doesn't excuse the disgusting levels of pseudo intellectualism in the second half, if I wanted a psychology 101 class I would head over to a collage. Or how about the entire ending sequence? Or how about making pino an unironic character follow along? Every single episode was trash, there wasn't a single episode where I thought "alright that wasn't so bad". None of the reasons I have for hating it was because of low budget or animation.

If it ended up the way it did, either they didnt even complete the story before hand and had no idea how to finish, or they are literal pseudo intellectuals.

college*

>Revealing all of the important plot elements in an unrelated games show episode, because the creators had no idea how to reveal them properly.

Hacks, they could as well write the answers on paper and include pdf with the dvd copy. Not many goth chicks in anime though, so at least it contributed to something.

she was hot as hell

pretentious trash

great idea, but poor execution. 4/10 and im being generous . it was like watching a ghost in the shell movie made by someone who doesn´t know hot to make cyberpunk attractive.

This is why I say Re-l > Pino.

I was with it up until around the time they left the slum town outside of the city, everything just kind of fell apart and became really boring.

I feel like I want to finish it because the premise/setting is somewhat interesting, but every time I try I just burn out halfway.

>how to ruin your entire show in just one episode

I watched the whole thing a couple of years ago and I honestly remember nothing about this game show episode. How did it fuck things up?

they either didnt have the time to reveal an important story point, or didnt have the skill to do it naturally, so they just had a 4th wall moment just spell it out

What was it about, specifically? Was it about the nature of that virus thing or about the artificial wombs and shit?
After this thread I think I'm better off not remembering much about the show.

>spoonfeeding: the episode
If there was a singular episode that made me realize the creators were morons pretending to be smart, it was this episode. Rather than being able to weave explanations into the story itself, they just said "fuck it boys lets have a gameshow ask questions and then LITERALLY give them the answers".
To top it off, the actual explanations are so retarded you think they are trying to trick you and giving you false information, but not the writing was actually that bad.

>they made an anime so pretentious they unironically named the mayors of the cities after philosophers

I was replacing the flush valve canister on my toilet today and was reminded of this show because the bathroom was so god damn important in it.

There is probably a philosophical reason why Re-L was attacked in her bathroom and it served as a touchstone for certain other major points in the show but 2deep4me, etc. But you can rewatch episodes periodically and catch onto new messages and motifs. I appreciate rewatchable shows.

It's also very unusual for the Japs to tackle Walt Disney, that episode had great tension. Derision? Respect?

I just can't understand how people can like Lain, and then be completely offended by EP. It's just deepshit with more philosophy and art references, and less totally random junk. It's better. What's there to be offended about?

That was the worst episode by far. It wasn't even an infodump episode. I fell asleep

Because Lain accomplishes what it wanted to be perfectly, a "deepshit" anime that unironically makes you think in order to understand it. There are no real characters in lain, there is no action scenes, there is no filler, there nothing to distract you from the main point. It does not hand you answers on a silver plate like EP, nor does it inject pure philosophical exposition, it lets you figure it out for yourself. There isn't even one answer to the plot of lain, it is based on how the individual perceives it, which is exactly what it wanted to do. EP is basically just texhnolyze but worse in every fashion possible besides having more budget for action scenes.

>muh """"""""answers""""""""

yeah I'd like to hear people explain why they dislike it. I'd read quite a bit of vaguely-directed hate about that episode.

"Answers to the plot" in EP is vastly subordinate to general questions. For instance, people in this thread are having a cow about the entire history/lore being dumped in a by-the-way joke of a game show episode. But unlike the philosophy, the history was never treated in an expository manner. You could argue the show could have been more exciting if it had been, sure.

>Its supposed to be shit

>I'M THE ERGO PROXY™
Word by word, the absolute madmen.

muh shitposting """""""""bait"""""""", here's a pity (you)

EP is treats you like such a retard it unironically has vincent say "i am the proxy" at the end while doing a big "le evil grin xd" face.

>Director: "We choose the title Ergo Proxy because it sounded cool to us, there's really no real deep meaning behind it."

Fast foward to the final scene of the series.

>"I am the Ergo Proxy™" (grinning like Alucard).

Amazing

Never seen or heard so much use of the phrase "raison d'être" in my entire life. But the show was definitely enjoyable, and the Radiohead ED was a weird surprise.

>treats you like such a retard
>le pretentious fedoralord wants every show to be """"""""""""""""""""""deep"""""""""""""""""""""" with as much unexplained and unanswered shit as possible

Pretentious bullshit that literally gives up at the end, I like it though, just for the fact the MC really wanted that Evanescence-Goth-Pussy and fought hard for it.

>trying this hard to be an ebin troll

>But unlike the philosophy, the history was never treated in an expository manner.
Were you trying to say the opposite of this but just fumbled the words backward?

So what were the """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""answers""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" you found in this show?

Anons itt are confusing a series being popular with pretentious people with being pretentious itself. Typical idiot opinion.
The show wasn't that hard to understand.

>The show wasn't that hard to understand.
Thats literally why people call it pretentious pseudo intellectual shit. The entire time the makers couldn't figure out how to explain anything other than through meaningless exposition.

Not to mention blatant shit like:
>name leaders after philosophers
>When asked about the underlying meaning of the title, lead writer Satou Dai said, “it sounded cool.”
>"i am the ergo proxy"

It had good production values thats all its guilty of. Guilty of looking good.
Back then people were hungry for the nnext Evangelion if it looked good people lapped it up, of course nothing really could compare to Evangelion.

9/10 i really liked the depth of it
no idea why others say that its pretentious

PINO A CUTE

jesus christ get a hold of yourself faggot

>no idea why others say that its pretentious
>PINO A CUTE
Something as dumb as ergo proxy probably would seem like its deep if you were retarded enough to actually think pino was a good character.

>Lainfaggot literally loses it

did someone molest you or why are you so triggered
I didn't even say that shes a good character. take a step back and take a deep breath big guy

I loved the aesthetics of it.
All of the characters had really good development.
Pino was probably the best written moe side character Ive seen in anime.

It may be pretentious at a glance, but that is the whole point of the show. Trying to imagine and depict a world devoid of all meaning.
Finding a reason to exist in a dead world.
And in the end it turns out that there was no meaning.
Humans already evacuated to outer space.

I just attribute that episode to Japs being an inferior race. No other explanation for such shit writing choices and their shit taste.

>Trying to imagine and depict a world devoid of all meaning.
wait a minute, that theme...

Good taste, why anyone likes ergo proxy when texhnolyze exists is beyond me

I have no idea why people always compare EP to Lein.
Texhnolyze is a much better comparison.

I dont get the hate for Texhnolyze. It was an amazing show. I fucking love the OP.

>why people always compare EP to Lein.
Because every 2deep4u shitposter has only heard or watched lain/NGE, so they usually immediately compare everything to them. Also lain has more reaction pics so people start comparing it to lain since it gets posted.

>It was an amazing show.
That it was, why its not more popular i have no idea. It literally did everything perfectly that EP failed to pull off.

I liked it. Most here in Sup Forums are moefags that dont like something that goes against the trend. I loved the art style and character designs, as well as the general tone and atmosphere

I dont mind slow paced storytelling, but i admit that towards the middle of the series it felt like the plot stopped to a complete crawl. And what was up with that game show episode?

I would say its a gem thats not for everybody, and for sure isnt for spastic people who only like to see little girls and waifus in their animu

9/10 one of my first anime

Can't tell if false flag or unironic newfag/fedora

So is it safe to say that pic related is pretentious deepthink trash too?

At this point I'm convinced that no anime has been able to nail deepthink like GitS. I even tried watching Durarara and felt as though it was a corny deepthink anime masquerading as a slice of life anime.

I like its airy atmospherics.
I'll leave it to (Youse Guys) to parse that.

Texhnolyze was good (though it put me to sleep a few times), but it seemed to have some extra edge to it, and I go back and forth on whether that edge was really needed. EP, not so much edge, so you could focus on thinking about it.

it was sooooooo boring i fell asleep during almost every episode. got to like episode 17 and gave up.

Seconded; seems like you and I agree on all those points. Though Re-l was a plenty good waifu for me!

>pretentious edgelord deepthink trash
ftfy

too many episodes
unbearably dull color palette
hated every character
still in my top 10

nope, let me retry.

Each episode of this series, you do not necessarily learn about the post-apocalypse. Before the game show it's mostly a mystery, and after the game show it isn't.

But the show DOES make a point of composing a philosophical exposition. Each episode it plays with some local ideas to advance the global issue in philosophy, which is whether there is some kind of inherent value in existence.

It would be pretentious if Ergo Proxy claimed it was exposing a new topic (raison d'etre), or that it advanced new ideas about raison d'etre, or worse, move over Aristotle, that it had a conclusive answer. But no, it's just working with existing material. I don't see what's pretentious about it.

Not that user, but I suspect that most anons are using the word "pretentious" in this case to refer to the notion that some fans of this anime hold it up to others as an example that makes themselves look intelligent.

You could figure out the plot before the game show.
Its an abandoned world where super beings were given the job of caretakers waiting for people to return. Thats about it.

People should just realise it was a waifu show.

The problem is that there is a philosophical exposition in the first place, I don't need to have absurdism/existentialism/nature vs nurture/etc 101 lessons shoved down my throat in the manner EP does. Ergo proxy is pretentious because it assumes you are retarded and either a) don't understand them or b) never heard of them. If you have never yourself read nietzsche or any other famous philosopher then sure it may seem like it's smart and original, for me it just came off like a fedora kid explaining to you what nihilism is all about.

To come back to lain as the counter example. Lain does not even mention any actual philosophical ideas as directly or as brutally that EP does. The reason to like and enjoy lain is to figure them out yourself and by doing so, you find your own personal message. It is specifically because it does not spend its time treating you as a moron, and explaining every idea it has in great exposition, that I don't consider lain to be pretentious or at the very least near to the same level as EP.

"Raul is Papa" reveal was pretty good storytelling. Changed quite a lot about what had happened before then.

or at the very least not* near to the same level as EP.

It was okay. I mostly just watched it because I thought re-l was hot and I like seeing makeup in anime for a change

What was the raison d'être of this anime?

the raison d'etre is the raison d'etre of course

>It literally did everything perfectly that EP failed to pull off.
Texh is more abstract, harder to understand without extra research, has characters which don't as much lend themselves to self-insert potential, and above all of that, it's is much, much bleaker. I think this is why it's less popular than EP despite being much more polished.

It's good

I feel indifferent

It was amazing just how "Okay" the show was. I've never felt more indifference to a show before. Didn't mind watching it, didn't care when it ended, and for damn sure didn't remember it 20 minutes after the last episode. Don't even care for fanservice too much, but damn the show would have been bumped from 5/10 to a 6/10 if there was more than like 2 scenes of tiddy. The game show was kind of entertaining and yeah like everyone said, that episode where they did nothing was the best one.