Could Kenshin, all things considered, be considered a good person?

Could Kenshin, all things considered, be considered a good person?

he is a piece of shit

>Kenshin
>good person
If by good person you mean, a survivor, then yeah I guess.

he was a pretty good mass murderer

>killing hundreds
>good person
He just tired.

>Citing the shitty Anime ending

He always had good intentions and wanted to help make the world a better place. It's just that he brutally murdered everyone whom he considered to stand in the way of that future. Once he had killed enough people, he decided that maybe murdering was not the way to make the world a better place, so instead he just bashes people with his blunt sword until they give up.

>anime ending
what?

it's when he leaves for kyoto to fight shishio

Yes, just just went down the wrong path.

He is a war criminal attempting to be a good person.

Anyone have a webm of this scene?

As evident by him having his scar healed he redeemed himself by giving his entire life to rectifying his sins. I think he deserves to be called a good person.

Yes, he was bad at first but he has redeemed himself.
The hokkaido arc will also follow Reflection, the sino-war will happen and he will go help the injured.

he's very reluctant to judge Megumi because he's afraid of real judgement himself and doesn't want to give anyone an excuse

this episode is one of the all time greats

ice cold nigga

>a murderer
>good person
I don't think so tim.

Thanbks

>
>kill hundreds in the past
>save millions in the future
can't argue with math

Yes.

Killing people was his job, so he was only following orders.

Not quite. He started realizing that killing people wouldn't make the world a better place when he met and fell in love with Tomoe. As they were living together, he realized the very peace he was trying to protect and also realized that the people he killed were also human beings trying to live their day to day lives. After he accidentally killed Tomoe, that was the last straw and he made a vow to never kill again.

I barely remember anything from this show. Did he love her?

>Banged a married woman after killing her husband

Fucking piece of shit.

Yes. They have a kid together in the end of the manga.

Yes. Killing reactionaries (in this case, supporters of the old fuedal order) is always morally permissible.

He's a war veteran. If he was on murrica, everyone would be sucking his cock

Japan would be literally China under the Qing dinasty without Kenshin ending the feudalism. Japan making its own industrial revolution against all the scientific knowledge of the time (le degenerate race) and defeating Russia on the sino-russian war (first time on 400 years that a non-western army defeated a western army) made everyone on Asia to discussed about embracing western science what ignited the Chinese revolution. It was the best on the long term.

Those tears are so well animated.

Kenshin is one of the most morally pure killers of all time. He's a good person because he tries to do the right thing.

she wasn't even married

he is a bad person in redemption, at most

>After he accidentally killed Tomoe, that was the last straw and he made a vow to never kill again.

>killed people during a fucking civil war
>people who also has fucking weapons on them
>has a complex about it afterwards for a good part of his adult life and opts to change things using his now reverse edge sword which don't kill anybody
Yes

Is Kenshin the GOAT shonen manga? I think it must be.

The people he killed deserved it. Even Tomoe. Never understood why he was supposed to be so hung up on it.

Kenshin was technically a terrorist, except he won. To be fair, every revolutionary movement count as terrorism if they lose. Reading French authors during the Restauration feels awkward as fuck because most were raised during Napoleon days but they were living on a brutal monarchist regime and nowadays France is a democracy. The point is Kenshin tries to do other things instead of killing so that make him a good person

If it had ended before Jinchuu arc then it would have been. Enishi's crew was pretty ridiculous and NERVES OF INSANITY was retarded shit. Yahiko was way too powerful for being a novice too.

I prefer how Jinchuu was handled in the second OVA series. Too bad about samurai leprosy though.

Civil war can be painful as fuck and Kenshin should never be a swordsman, he was too kind. Murricans can idealize their war heroes because they never fight at home, except at the American Civil War and there are still people butthurt about it despite it was more than 150 years ago. See Sup Forums

>Never understood why he was supposed to be so hung up on it.
Because she was his first love.

Jinchuu arc was better than the Kyoto arc. It was written perfectly and ended perfectly. So yes, Kenshin IS the best shonen battle manga of all time. Fuck you. Fight me.

>I prefer how Jinchuu was handled in the second OVA series. Too bad about samurai leprosy though.

I actually like a lot of the jinchuu arc. It's not as good as the Kyoto arc (because how could any villain match up to Shishio?) but it has some insane moments. The flashback is fantastic and Kenshin's breakdown is really hard hitting for me, as is the whole sequence where Aoshi talks Yahiko into exhuming "Kaoru." Sanosuke's excursion is fun too.

I'm glad Watsuki is actually back for the Hokkaido arc and we're not getting a DBS or Boruto-esque sequel.

what kind of shounen character manages to not surpass his master but get outlived by him as well

Can you let the poor bastard die already, Watsuki???

Why don't you make a side series about Sojiro, already! Or Sanosuke in Asia! Yeah,
and fuck Yahiko

the only shame is that he wasnt the main character instead

The flashback is great but the battles with Enishi were way too stupid. Fucking puppet mechas.

Remind me at what point I stop watching the anime

after he beats shishio and before son of god arc starts

How do I get into this series? Is it okay if I just jump into the manga?

Read the manga from the very first chapter. It's 100% worth it.

If you can get a hold of it, read the viz translation. Viz actually did a fantastic job with it.

Got it, thanks!

Magnificent

idk, was otto skorzeny a good person?

tried to watch this anime once years ago, but couldn't really get into it.
should i try it again? is this a patrician's choice anime?

Yes, it's pretty good

Except after Tomoe died he went back to the war to kill more people until the war ended. He still thought it was necessary.

It is.

Funny enough, Both Japan and America were going through a civil war roughly at the same time. America's was from 1861 to 1865, while Japan's (the one that Kenshin was in) was roughly 1863 to 1868.

You should read the manga too, it has the complete story. Anime just derails into filler after the Kyoto arc.

So now that this manga has come back the chances of getting a new anime is pretty high, though I don't know if I want that. On one side ,the direction and OST of the original anime were fucking perfect and a remake could never match them. But I also want to finally se fucking Jinchuu arc animated.

I'm glad Watsuki is actually back for the Hokkaido arc and we're not getting a DBS or Boruto-esque sequel.

I don't think the Hokkaido arc is going to reach the heights of the original, though. Kenshin's arc already ended and thus the emotional core of the series is no longer there. If anything it can be decent for the other characters, sure.

I actually like that over the top shit Watsuki does. Sue me.

Wasn't this in the shishio arc though?

considering the number of crimes he prevented? yeah he was a reasonably good person. morality is not a credit and debit balance. you don't get a net value of saint points sans murder points. He did in fact do good; in that mindset he was in fact a good person. Was he also at a previous point a bad person? Sure. Did he once or twice lapse back into being a bad person before being good again? Yes.

Read the manga, seriously. It is much better. Then, once you've done that, watch the live action movie.

it's the beginning of the kyoto arc

Well it seems Watsuki wants to bring back a bunch of the other characters (Soujiro, Enishi, Hiko) so it seems they're gonna be getting the focus.

The four stars/gods/whatever brothers in the island were waaaay worse. Pure official filler.

Yeah, that was some real bullshit. I would not have minded it as much if Yahiko wasn't there or if he would have gotten BTFO but there's no reason for him to win a battle against someone like that. It was just super cliche

Only if you believe in redemption and the good acts outweights the wrong ones. Been years I have seen it but if I recall well he has defeated the TP-samurai and saved Japan from another war

Aftershocks of the Industrial Revolution. Machines allowed the economy to function well enough without slaves that people could morally oppose to slavery without economic disaster. The ironclad ships led by Commodore Perry to Uraga opened Japan's eyes to what they'd missed in the outside world over the past few centuries.

yup.

If I recall, Watsuki himself admitted that they were a weak addition to the story and that he basically added them to give Sanosuke and the rest something to do at the final battle besides watch Kenshin fight Enishi in awe.

Why doesn't he fight with a non-lethal weapon like a stick? Why does he insist on memes like the reverse sword?

I know you're thinking that Hiko should be the main character because he's the most awesome, most badass character, and he is, but that sort of character works better as a special treat rather than the main course. Honestly it's a testament to Watsuki's writing that a character as powerful from the get-go as Kenshin was compelling for hundreds of chapters.

Kenshin is still being marketed as the main character, and I guess he will be. But I fear nothing good will come from that, his life journey has already ended.

Fuck it, I loved those fights. It gave nice closure to the characters and their arcs.

It's because the series was well designed. Fights were less powerlevel-y and more "rock paper sicssors" and he figured out a way for Kenshin to become stronger through learning the Ougi.

The Sanosuke one was aight, the Aoshi one has a fucking badass ending, the Yahiko one was able to hide behind "he couldn't get past his opponent being a kid and fucked up," but the Saitou one was what seemed like the third "Gatotsu is countered -> Saitou uses Zeroshiki OHKO" fight.

I always loved how grounded Kenshin was. Even though a lot of the moves are based on Watsuki not knowing/outright ignoring basic physics, it made the scale feel consistent. No one was blowing up mountains and no one was yawning at said mountains being blown up after power creep.

It was funny that Watsuki remarked he struggled to give Saito good fights because Saito was effectively a gate of death.

For the most part he's a nice person, whether he's a good person depends on your perspective.

I don't know what he can come up with in the Hokkaido arc. I mean, who could possibly come out from nowhere and be able to fight Saito, Enishi, Soujiro and fucking HIKO?

Kenshin is already mostly out of comission, since he can't use the advanced techniques of Hiten anymore. I don't know if he will be able to recover.

I forget, did kenshin ever kill a civilian or someone not intent on doing him harm?

They could go for more technology stuff, though it seems like a retread of Kanryu. Apparently Watsuki had this outlined a while ago, so my hopes are he's thought it through.

Tomoe.

>After killing her husband
>married

wasn't this an accident?

again, its been like 2 decades.

The guys that fought them through the series weren't precisely stronger than them, they just had some tricky ability that made them a difficult rival to overcome.

Yes it was, but why wouldn't it count?

in discussing ethics, intent is pretty important.

I think he's a good person, all things considered.

She wasn't a civilian.

>end of the manga

haha

There is literally nothing wrong with killing imperialists

But Kenshin was an imperialist.

Considering what system the Japanese were living under, I would say he did morally bad things for ethically right reasons

He kept killing until the war ended.

Kenshin is one great MC

But Shishio is among the best villains out there

Keep in mind that if you were born in France just before the French Revolution, and you lived about 80 years until they started discussing the building of the Statue of liberty, you saw France's government change no less than 10 times.

Quick someone post the gatotsu vs chandelier webm!

yeah but treat the first season as background noise otherwise you'll just be bored of it