Sick people turning to Uber and Lyft because ambulances are too expensive

Ambulance rides can cost thousands, and Uber drivers aren’t paramedics. How do we fix this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sGr-w5k0SZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=tIeEotdOVew
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We don't, it sounds like the market is working

Ambulance rides are free if it's an emergency, hospitals are obligated to take care of you too.
What you're paying for is called "unnecessary care" which actually is necessary, but not vital. You're paying for bedding and housing, painkillers, and extra medicines to prevent possible problems which are common but not certain.

>forcing drivers to choose between assuming potential liability...

shouldn't this fall under good Samaritan laws?

Ambulances need to lower prices to compete or they can go back to flipping burgers

Only an idiot would let sick people into their car. I kick them out as soon as I know they are sick because a one star I way better than loosing a week's pay because they made you sick. I don't pick up people from hospitals for the same reason. I don't want germs in my car.

>He drives an Uber
Have you tried not being poor?

You don't get fired if you pull up and they get in and then you say "hey dude you're sick get out of my car and call someone else"?

Seems like they could call your HR and get you fired.

>be american
>get shot
>have to call an uber because an ambulance costs too much

just like my ancap memes

Really?

Seems like there is a business for private Ambulances.

they should just defund ambulances and hospitals and let uber drivers just take sick people to their house to do surgery on them in the garage, with powertools, from instructional youtube vids

wish i was joking

>get hurt
>can’t call 911 because the ambulance ride alone is more than $3000
>Get an Uber
>start to have a seizure on the way to the hospital
>driver can’t do anything because he’s not a doctor, he’s an Uber driver
>die an easily preventable death
How do we fix this?

excellent

My grandfather fell and hurt his leg. He was bleeding pretty badly. We called 911 and an ambulance took him to the hospital to get stitched up. His fucking insurance didn't want to pay the $400 ambulance bill, so the ambulance company sent it to us. We told them to fuck off.

Yes, you will not be turned away if you can't afford it and it's immediately life-threatening. Then they'll kick you out and you'll likely die of exposure.

Not a heart attack, seizure, or stroke, doesn't matter to them.

train uber/lyft drivers to be paramedics?

>avoiding the sniffles and such so you dont miss a little work.
what a weak manifesto. You should not avoid the illnesses of the world, you must accept them so you can overcome them.

At this point i only get sick every few years.
Strength and Resilience is only developed with exposure to adversity.

What's the problem? Uber is a great alternative to an ambulance unless you've been shot or your gonna fuck up their car by puking, shitting or bleeding. I took an uber when I had appendicitis because I couldn't drive and an ambulance is insanely expensive. Plus my mom is a doctor and she always talked about people wasting EMT's times by calling ambulances when they don't need them so I'd only ever call one if I were on the brink of death.

Let's start an Uber ambulance service.

You assume Uber gives a shit about anything and that there is even any customer service for them to call. It's a fucking cowboy shitshow and people have no idea.

The shit ive gotten away with would blow your mind.

This is actually pretty smart but probably not possible, government would shut you down.

If they can choose to take a ride sharing app, they aren't sick enough to use an ambulance.

Lol, no

Good Samaritan laws violate the 14th amendment.

It's actually a pretty good gig to do from r a few months while I get my IT certs.

Ding ding ding.

Winner.

Also funny related video:

youtube.com/watch?v=sGr-w5k0SZ4

holy shit kek n check

Don't. Natural selection

>Uber
>Hr

I would put an ad that I will incur all the risk to get you to the hospital quickly, just charge a little more, I'm a good driver.
This

Have you tried not being a dick ?

>ambulance rides cost thousands
Insurance costs dozens

>>driver can’t do anything because he’s not a doctor, he’s an Uber driver

Has the IQ of Sup Forums dropped a few standard deviations lately? Doctors don't ride in ambulances.

thats actually (generally) not true.
duty to do basic shit to stop you from dying doesnt mean they dont charge you for it and try to collect.
the ER will stop you from bleeding out in the lobby, just rhey sure as shit try to get money for doing so.

>implying these people are actually sick

>missing the point this hard
You’re right, doctors don’t ride in ambulances, paramedics do. Uber drivers aren’t paramedics. I literally said that in the OP.

this.

good samaritan law would cover giving first aid (to the best of your knowledge, in good faith), and calling 911.
it could possibly be construed, but would be quite a stretch, for a lawyer to successfuly argue it applies to being a defacto ambulance. best bet would be a situation where ambulance service isnt available.

good samaritan laws generally don't compel rendering of aid, only immunity from liability if you do

How is a seizure more life threatening than bleeding out?

My patents. Back away. Hiss!

>. Uber drivers aren’t paramedics

But what is the huge difference between Uber drivers and paramedics? 6 months of first aid training? I'm no paramedic but I do know CPR, mouth to mouth and how to stop bleeding.

There is. NYC has at least 10 private EMS agencies I can list off the top of my head. I'm not including hospital based EMS or the Fire Department.

>Uber drivers and paramedics? 6 months of first aid training? I
Lol, yep you got it. All you need is a pack of bandaids and some warm towels and your a qualified EMT.

Driving for Uber is pretty good. Sure there are some asshole passengers, but it's way less stressful than other jobs I've had

Paramedic's actually have a sizeable amount of knowledge, it's a 1-2 year program based on how masochistic the program you joined is; comparable to an Associate degree. They can intubate, start IV's and other advanced lines, push certain drugs, interpret EKG's, etc, they can also pronounce death if needed. They can do alot in other words.
EMT-Basics are the less knowledgeable of the two with a 3 month program.

THE MARKET CORRECTS ITSELF
THE MARKET CORRECTS ITSEL
THE MARKET CORRECTS ITSE
THE MARKET CORRECTS ITS
THE MARKET CORRECTS IT
THE MARKET CORRECTS I
THE MARKET CORRECTS
THE MARKET CORRECT
THE MARKET CORREC
THE MARKET CORRE
THE MARKET CORR
THE MARKET COR
THE MARKET CO
THE MARKET C
THE MARKET

this
paramedics have actual medical education, EMTs are primarily first responders and only slightly more medically trained than your average policeman

>The shit ive gotten away with would blow your mind.
do tell

This.

During the fires in Santa Rosa last year I used my van with a stretcher bed and supplies in the back to ferry injured to and from hospitals. In off hours I let firemen and doctors sleep in the back, family works in Healthcare.

I don't need to get paid, this should be a community driven effort by all who are capable.

Have such a shitty healthcare system that anyone but the most well off get bankrupted by insane fees. Either from the insurance company or the hospital itself incase you end up with any minor disease or accident.

On top of that still have one of the highest public spendings in the world on healthcare.

>Think thats fine cause muh freedom

Next time you consider that maybe the 3000 is worth it

Uber drivers aren’t paramedics, but most of them are drug dealers

Ambulance rides are absolutely not free, somewhere around 5k a ride

how long until Uber drivers start building roads?

This capitalist system is unsustainable

Make a service out of it and get rich.

Yeah Uber is kinda nuts.

I drive for Uber myself and there's not any sort of contact between drivers and HQ (whatever that'd be). I imagine they are paying some people in India or something to handle shit when you contact them about reassessing payments or something.

It's a pretty relaxed gig since I can burn some incense and play some lo-fi to just relax as I drive people home from the bars. Since the only people able to afford to go out to nightclubs, bars, and restaurants are typically those that are relatively well off in comparison to the true dregs of humanity that need rides during the day to get to work or the welfare office or whatever.

Ambulance drivers here in LA make 14 an hour. The fucking UBER driver makes more than that.

If you're having a fucking seizure, there aint shit a paramedic is going to do that will save you.

>Ambulance drivers here in LA make 14 an hour. The fucking UBER driver makes more than that.

Lol. I work the drive through at jack in the box for $13

>Ambulance rides are free if it's an emergency

Nigger what? Ambulance rides are "free" in the same way ER treatment is "free"; for poorshits on welfare.

t. healthcare professional who had to be transported by ambulance after a major auto accident

There shouldn’t be liability. Uber needs to reword their end-user passenger contract so that to use the app a rider must sign away all claims related to use of rides in the form of medical transport. Hell, I want to start a competing sharing economy app just for this purpose: call it Evac can’t be the worst idea for a startup in the waning months of this idiotic bubble we’re in.

why the fuck is their pay so low? I mean yeah it's just driving but it's a job of some importance

Not the guy you asked but I drove for UBER for about 2 years casually, weekend gig. I have about 1000 rides under my belt and kept pretty close to a 4 star rating.

I've had everything from underage girls give me their number to guys and gals out partying pay for tickets up front to see The Weeknd with them, to people inviting me into the club with them to people getting me lapdances at strip clubs.

The one thing I would never do is drink and drive though. Cops have a fucking six sense when it comes to DUIs and they always left me the fuck alone once they seen the UBER sticker. I imagine they want no part of the madness I sometimes have to drivr home.

Tort Reform anyone?

Market at work.

sounds pretty based

Government

Because the system is rigged bro. Cheaping out on labor is the first go to for execs looking to make more money, because there is always some wetback willing to do the job for peanuts.

Uber is guilty of this too. They basically work for us though. Its my fucking car and my time. If I decide not to drive any given night they make no money.

WRONG.

Add a free cancel option for driver to use once a month something that is to void an emergency pickup.
Or add to Uber terms something like "if you call for an emergency you are in full responsibility" or something

i thought we had obamacare to make everything just super duper ultra affordable for everyone. especially sinc eu can keep ur old preexisting plan.

Eliminate capitalism and use the some of the billions that all the billionaires are hoarding to help the people out.

The real free market option here

he broke his leg bad enough to bleed out?

what is a turnakit?

Our society is broken but cant be fixed until it collapses

im an uber driver, and yes, i occasionally take people to and from the hospital
i sometimes take relatives of the patient to the emergency room, but more often i take people home
i have no more legal liability than a cab driver
this is more bullshit buzzfeed fake news.

>tourniquet

Also I think Uber gets pressed a bit more to ensure drivers have insurance and a driver's license, which would make it more difficult to have an illegal do the driving. Especially since they do the random photos to check to make sure you're the right driver.

Market based healthcare doesnt work because its not a commodity. When you need it there are no other options. A glorious, defect free system like the one my amazing country possess's is obviously the only option.

No. I shattered my arm when I was 15 and called an ambulance. They came and I was sitting in the ambulance fucked up arm and all when my mom came home and saw me. The ambulance people told her to take me to the hospital herself, even though they were going there too, because otherwise it would cost $500+. I drug myself out of the ambulance, climbed in her shitty car and ended up getting to the hospital the same time as the ambulance, but for free.

I used to work for a hospital. Junkies and hobos often lie about feeling ill to get free rides and the ambulance company are retardedly required to pick them up no matter what. Payers pay a HEFTY price because they are subsidizing the parasites.

> funny vidya
> pointless and annoying bullshit.
faggot and his dead rat would have been booted out of my car.

KEK I hope they are fags dying of aids

youtube.com/watch?v=tIeEotdOVew

Why is America so shit? I got into a bad motorcycle accident and was bed-ridden for 6 months, racking up a bill of 10's of thousands of euros. But I didn't pay a single cent myself. Thank God for nationalized healthcare. That 1 accident would've cost me way more than I'll ever have to pay for my medicare for the rest of my life. Feels good man.

shut the fuck up you fucking leaf

Jesus it's like you're totally unaware of the fact that your country is becoming a shithole because the manufacturing industries that provided the money required for your 'universal' shitcare left to mexico and east asia and now you're demanding more shit without money to pay for it.

Medical debt isn't debt.
It doesn't hurt your credit rating.

I don’t know, what is a turnakit? Do you mean tourniquet?

not everyone has 3000 dollars ready you fucking faggot

>ignoring the fact that over 50% of your taxes are used on these "free products"
>thinking our healthcare cost anything
50% of 100k dollars if 50k dollars user.
I pay less than 200 dollars a year for my insurance.
Who is really fucked here?

Tariffs would solve that problem instantly, so would seizing all their assets as they attempted to flee.

make sure you write that on the summons they send you, in huge letters, red pen FUCK OFF

word bruv.
night time is the right time, unless theres a rap/hip hop show, then i hang up my spurs for the night.
daytime driving is all salty ass suits in a hurry to get nowhere, and niggers engaging in niggertry

>How do we fix this?
It looks like the free market is fixing itself again
Pic related, it's you

>People are too poor to call 911 for a 1000 dollar ride to the hospital
>they instead call an uber driver and cause problems
Why not just call a family member or a friend? I mean normies do have these things, or so I am told