Are dubs always bad

I finished watching JoJo recently and I heard the dub for part 3 is currently being released. So I decided to check it out.
In the FIRST episode, Joseph says "Jonathan Joestar, my grandfather, your great-grandfather" to Jotaro, when Jonathan is actually Jotaro's great-GREAT-father.
Are dubs always this bad?
Am I just being autistic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x_LOE6A1J9A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

great grandfather can be used to refer to any ancestry after grandfather.

>Are dubs always bad?
Yes

nani
what kind of language is this

Japanese "I'm a fat fucking retard" voice. Steins;Gate's mediocre cast somehow got the feel of a bunch of dweebs down perfect. PSG jokes just work better in English for me.

Everything else I consider accepetable is probably just nostalgia because I saw the dub first or something

Japanese > English Tier
>Cowboy Bebop
>Space Dandy
>Panty & Stocking
>Fullmetal Alchemist
>Dragon Ball
>Spice and Wolf
>Death Note
>Steins;Gate

Japanese = English Tier
>Neon Genesis Evangelion
>FLCL
>Prison School
>Hellsing

Japanese > English > Shit Tier
>Samurai Champloo
>Kill la Kill
>To Aru Series
>Rebuild of Evangelion
>Azumanga Daioh
>The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
>Berserk

Japanese > English = Shit Tier
>Everything Else

English voice actors are amazingly bad. Amongst the few good dubs, most are still campy as hell and I probably only like them because I heard them first. Though the big thing for me is voice pitch. High pitched voices never work in English. If a girl is an adult, a non-high pitched voice works better, even as a mediocre dub (see: Spice and Wolf). If a guy is past puberty, don't voice him with a fucking girl (see: Dragon Ball). Other than that, I hate Daru's Japanese "I'm a fat fucking retard" voice. Steins;Gate's mediocre cast somehow got the feel of a bunch of dweebs down perfect. PSG jokes just work better in English for me.

*Fixed that for me

Japanese > English = Shit Tier
>Prison School

why don't you kill yourself and find out?

it's been a while since I heard the dub. recall not finding it terrible at the time, but I'm willing to accept I'm wrong on that. it is a funimation work

Excuse you. That is quite rude

Sorry, I meant to say to commit suicide gently.

>Japanese = English Tier
>Neon Genesis Evangelion
The fuck? I watched the first episode dubbed and it was some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard, doesn't sound remotely natural and I finally get some of the Shinji hate. I wanted to strangle dub Shinji by the end of episode 1.

JP is definitely better for Eva. Hands down, even though the English one isn't completely shit.

>PSG jokes just work better in English for me
The dub misses Engrish jokes and RUUUURUs though.

This. The engrish was half the appeal.

It's amazing you put this much effort into being this wrong.

The only good dub is Hokuto no Ken, anything involving teenagers is fucking trash.
youtube.com/watch?v=x_LOE6A1J9A

The Eva dub is campy as fuck. I probably only like it because I watched the dub first, but I found that most of the conversations between characters to be pretty enjoyable. Maybe Shinji is particularly annoying, but I figured he was supposed to be. The cast isn't good at action though, as expressive as they can be when talking or arguing, they're not good at anything involving the mech fights. The new dub cast and writing for End of Evangelion is so laughably campy but not irritating to listen to that I sitll prefer it to the sub.

The recast for the rebuilds does not work nearly as well. We get the same deadpan voice acting we get in most other dubs, but it's still not like nails on a chalkboard, putting it above most dubs.

VAs going all out on curse words offsets it though. Chris Saban voices a black dude perfectly as well.

English > Japanese
>Samurai Pizza Cats

That's like saying DBZ Abridged is better than the original, a gag dub is basically a different series.

Experiencing Jojo in anime form is bad in general. Same with most anime that are adaptations from manga.

This.
Can anyone name an Anime that was better than the manga?

Karekano perhaps. Saki somewhat as they expanded on some things in the anime. But for Jojo you really are better off going with the manga.

Gankutsuou, Eva, Shinsekai yori, the list goes on.

The Eva manga started coming out first but it was mostly just a taste before the anime came out. The anime was the main focus and wasn't an adaptation of the manga.

The manga is quite hard to get into at first though, at least for me.

Among WSJ series of that time, JoJo is the last I got into.

By the power of the geass, I command you: Kill all dubfags.

Hunter X Hunter, especially the Chimera Ants arc where art in the manga degrades into scribbles.

Not always, FMB is a prime example of a dub done right.

>English > Japanese
YYH

I liked Code Geass' dub

Redline's dub was pretty great.
Plus, it added my favorite line.
>Fuck this, they're too fast.

They're both basically the same thing when it comes down to it. Puns, pop culture and celebrity references, fourth wall breaking, ad-libbing, self-deprecation, wise-cracking narrator, etc. And both were cases of someone on the business side trying (and failing) to cash in on a fad, while the people on the creative side just ran with it and made something funny.

I have not watched a dub in 14 years. All the series that I wanted to watch have been in Japanese. I won't comment on whether they are good or not since I don't know. I just can't imagine watching anime in English.