My bachelor thesis

Hey guys,
I'm a 21-year-old geography student from Germany and for this spring I'm planning to write my bachelor thesis. As my topic I decided that it would be interesting to work out the influence of memes in political geographic conflicts. To do that I need an example and this is where I would like you to help me. I want to do this with Memes about the US presidential election of 2016. So my question is whether someone here has some kind of "archive" of the memes used back then or knows somebody who could help me.

Thank you in advance and have a nice day,
the german guy

I don’t have an archive of memes but I guess you could look up popular meme pages during the time your talking about to see what was posted then?

>geography student
>bachelor thesis is on regional political memes

you are actually a social studies student. god it fucking kills me knowing once respected fields like geography have been diluted into a tasty yum drink 4 dimwits much like yourself OP. i hope one day i can go to war against your country and kill you all

love and peace,

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little 'clever' comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Why have you come here? Everybody knows all the best memes come from EbaumsWorld.com

>political geographic conflicts
what the fuck. stop with the social science before your soul is ruined.

This. Do a decent technical topic like Mesozoic orogeny in the South German Scarplands or something, or else just throw up your hands and just do a degree in Queer Studies, anything but this fake shit.

How are you going to gauge the influence of them? Asking out of interest.

>geography
>political conflicts memes
It's better to do remote sensing and/or GIS thesis. What you're proposing is social science.

you are taking on a topic that requires enormous amounts of data and would be difficult even for a doctoral dissertation. if you plan to proceed, track one meme over time, gather frequency data from one source, like twitter. you're going to need something like 'analyst's notebook' for the analysis. visallo has open source software that's comparable, and the best you will be able to do is map a meme propagating over time, I can't imagine how you will demonstrate influence. good luck, you're going to need it

I want to start with the language of the memes, then continue with bigger media that was involved in the last election and then... well I don't know yet, depends on what shows up. But I'm pretty sure that there is some kind of influence, just can't really name it yet. I suggest that is subconscious which then would probably work by repetition (in which the wording of the memes becomes interesting and the media that distributes it). then I will work with whatever I find out or, if nothing interesting comes up finish my research there.

degree in geography? just write an essay on WHERE IS NEW ZEALAND? and that's all.

thanks for the reply. My Professor already promised access to the data centre of our university which supervised by someone who knows how to efficently process such data. As I wrote above, I have no idea yet of what to do with this data that shows up in the end but I'm optimistic that I will be able to do something with it

I already asked /r_the_Donald and they told me that their archive is already down so I hoped that I might be more successful here since it's private and the people who store stuff might store it longer

If it was that easy I would even do it. But since my Professor won't be pleased if turn in shit I'll have to do something more substantial and I think this is a relevant topic

plus, your idea sounds pretty good. Do you have any recommendation for a certain meme?

The words subconscious and repetition imply that the memes held no truth but worked on an hypnotic level. You might be on the wrong track here because that wouldn’t account for the success of right wing memes compared to left wing ones. Anyhoo, good luck, I guess you’ll need to write from a progressive left wing point of view to get good marks

I'm sorry, this wasn't meant to imply any of that. My point was on a more general basis, that repetition and subconsciousness do have an influence on people. I just want to generally figure out what memes can do without any opinion on the aim that those memes follow. I can't prove it (yet) but i think that these memes had an influence in the election and I want to figure out if it is possible to point this out.

If I were you, I’d look at the Draft my daughter memes that were generated by Sup Forums. It took Hilary’s statements about potential war with Russia and married them with with the recent inclusion of women in the draft. These would be useful because people on the net assumed they were real and commented on them So you have written feedback. They are also a distinct group of memes to focus on specifically

thank you very much, this sounds really promising. Do you know more about those memes, maybe how they were distributed (to the_Donald, maybe to the media, Facebook, whatever).

And another thing: since this is my second visit to Sup Forums - will this post be deleted automatically? I think a friend of mine told me something like that but I'm not sure anymore

a graphic will be difficult to track and map. I would go with something with text associated, e.g., hashtag. it should have a start date, be easily searched for, be linked to accounts or news articles to show frequency over time and to be able to create a network map.

Is geography worth getting into? I like learning about how geography and weather affects culture, but I'm not sure if it's a field with any actual job opportunities.

I know, but I think this topic will become more relevant over time and probably not just in political contexts. first time I thought about it was when I was drunk and told m friends "Hey, I think I should write my bachelor thesis about "meme wars as a new kind of warfare in the 21st century"" and this pretty much sums it up for me. So yeah, even if it is difficult I still think that I should invest in it. Plus, even if it doesn't work out well it still won't be that much of a problem for me because I will be able to continue my studies.

The Donald subreddit was created by Sup Forums as an outpost to engage normie trump supporters. The memes were put together here but probably with heaps of t_d crossposters, and launched onto Facebook and Twitter. It was part of the great meme war. I’m not sure how easy it is to search the Sup Forums archives but the threads should all be there.

This thread will archive at some point. Only significant threads are automatically deleted. Sup Forums has become a shadow of itself under constant astro turfing

Memes convey thoughts and feelings that cannot be transferred with words. A good meme has few words. They can be subversive by nature, and can alter mindsets.

>will this post be deleted automatically?
Eventually all posts go to page 11.

Basically if the topic is not popular enough to stay in the 10 pages it will go away.

actually I'm not just studying geography but also chemistry because I want to become a teacher. I can absolutely recommend geography. Even though my topic at the moment is more towards social studies you can also lean more into this physical approach. I don't know about the system in the US but in Germany it is just your decision what topics you want to study. About jobs... well, that's difficult. you have to be aware of the fact that for everything there will be someone who is better trained than you. On the other hand it is also true that you will be the one with the best general approach cause you learn stuff about many fields. so it really depends and I can't tell you yet whether you will be able to find a good job or not

thank you

what do you mean by "only significant threads are automatically deleted."?

>what do you mean by "only significant threads are automatically deleted."?
IF a thread features illegal content or something else that is against board rules, it will be pruned by admins sometimes quickly sometimes slowly.

There are things you can do to get them to shut down a thread nearly instantly. I won't repeat them, and NO ONE should be doing things like that.

> (OP)
did you just come up with that yourself or did you read that somewhere? Because it is really beautiful and if it was in a book or article I would definitely want to read it

okay, I won't ask anymore

Geography my ass is this what you gay fucks in Germany do all day? This whole site has nothing to do with geography or anything. If you are looking for a geographic conflict look at how the EU is ruining itself exponentially as Murkel fucks Was it Muhammed the 900th Muslim immigrant

Google FBI user. He created a thread here. I’m not sure if that thread would have been allowed to stay up now. Pizzagate threads were common here but now a lot get deleted fast. The Q threads were filled with shills and eventually got pushed off the board to infinity chan. Basically the Sup Forums you’re seeing now is harmless Sup Forums where we’re allowed to discuss Nazis, racism and whether or not we like women. It’s still fun but political discussions and research have moved to other boards

"It’s still fun but political discussions and research have moved to other boards"
does this just refer to recent discussions or also to older stuff?

A few months after the election, I’m not sure exactly when, but share blue got a heap of money and targeted Sup Forums. It’s been suggested that many of the threads here are generated not by shills but by bots, spelling mistakes in the titles are a giveaway. The board still comes up with good threads, but they allow the holocaust threads and the school shooting threads to convince people that Sup Forums is still the subversive offensive place it always when there’s less info here than there used to be

so they wrote about Sup Forums in the US?
And who suggested this bot thing? them or the users of Sup Forums?

It was quite obvious to Sup Forums users that generic bait threads were being posted to force damaging threads off the board. I read about the use of bots on infinity chan and it seems to fit. Go to qresearch on infinity to see some meme making in action. Remember that none of the information on the chans is verified, you simply evaluate, accept or reject information based on your own criteria

thank you very much.
Yeah I know that this information is not verified but i don't think that this really matters for my topic, it might even help that maybe mistakes were made to make the influence more visible

>XDDDDDDD LE MAYMAYS
kill yourself out of Sup Forums. we are not your personal teachers.

Yeah, I know. I also did not request that, I just tried to ask nicely

Google the 2 fbi user threads. It will take 15 mins to read them. They were a pivotal/pol/ moment and provide much of the context and motivation. Good luck user

thanks man, if you want to I can keep you updated

I'm pretty sure that I'm fucking stupid because for the love of god I can not find his threads.

Put up a throwaway email maybe. I used to work in social research and find this stuff interesting

sorry snowflake, but geography AINT geology. i guess they don’t teach you that over there

I will, could you maybe send me a link to the threads you mentioned earlier on?