Magic: How the hell does it work?

How the hell does Little Witch Academia magic work, anyway? Is there any rhyme or reason to the way it works or were the spells just dreamed up for whatever Trigger decided would be cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

archiveofourown.org/works/12002772/chapters/27158523
www7.atwiki.jp/anime_wiki/pages/16784.html
imgur.com/a/a3KWA
poal.me/khka9b
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's just magic dude. Explaining it would ruin feel of it.

They have a pseudo-explanation involving Yggdrasil. Supposedly what witches do when they do magic is just summon energy from Yggdrasil using their bodies and feelings as medium.

Can we continue the staff discussion here?

They have an explanation, even if it isn't too detailed. It's partially the same explanation as Megaten ("magic exists because people believe in it", like how demons and angels and even God exist because people believe in them in Megaten) and because witches draw energy from a super-natural mystical tree in a different dimension or something.

Friendship.

>Back then, Yggdrasil's branches encompassed the entire world. It's branches held even the stars and planets in place. It was from there that witches drew their infinite magic.

Yggdrasil isn't a real tree though. It's just a metaphysical thing formed by all the magic power from people's belief all over the world.

It's both. If Yggdrasil wasn't also a real tree then witches wouldn't turn into trees from using its power.

A believing heart is your magic user

I'd like to know what language the spells are so I can come up with some new ones.

Would you please think of the catgirls and stop this?

Weren't they celtic?

You mean your belief in yourself.

I see literally no reason why we can't

Then I'll say that I'm thinking that Yoshinari could get the Kawamori supervising director role even if he wasn't the director. It makes him the boss that controls everything but he could be less hands-on.

Speaking of treeification. I legitimately had a spooky LWA dream a few days ago and all I remember was Croix was tinkering around with some evil artifact, fucked up and got tree'd and a branch stabbed Akko through the chest while Chariot was trying to save them. Then I woke up.
What does it mean, anons?

I wonder how Treefication works when they die naturally because the way in which Daryl and her daughters were turning into trees was pretty grim.

It's probably not like that because it was supposedly the curse of the ritual that got them. I wonder if it does that to anyone that disturbs the ritual or only witches.

But if that's what curses might do to witches then that makes me very worried for Chariot and if the Wagandea curse might not develop into something worse.
Being bound to the ground might be a first symptom of becoming a tree.

If they make more LWA, do you think they'll get more story out of introducing other Nine Olde Witches and/or their descendants?

The revelation that Diana is one fucking blindsided me. It makes perfect sense but I never even considered it a possibility, just thought she was a noble witch. Mainly I thought that since, considering how often she has people singing her praises, at least one of them would have mentioned it, like, it's not an insignificant thing...

To be fair, some of the reveleations on Diana's arc was slightly sudden. A lot of people in these threads didn't expect the dead mom.

I often wonder how the story of LWA would play out had Chariot died at the end of the Wangadea episode. How would Akko, Croix and co. react? How could Akko have found the sixth and seventh words by herself? Would she had revealed herself in her dying breath or kept being Ursula even during death?

Maybe I should write that as an alt history fic...

>But if that's what curses might do to witches
I doubt it, what we know about the treeification is that it happens to powerful witches upon their deaths, and that Diana is guaranteed treehood because she's the descendant of Beatrix. That must apply to her aunt and cousins too, so if you look at it that way, the curse that ritual inflicted on them might have simply been killing them and they were becoming trees as a result.

Are you serious? There was speculation she had dying or dead parents from quite early on

That's spooky as fuck, dude
It looked pretty painful, too

If Wagandea really was a powerful ancient evil magic being then I doubt the curse is just going to remain a harmless flight loss. It would make for a good plot point too but I hope Chariot will be ok.

It's both. Powerful witches turn into trees after having lived long lives.

Kinda like David the Gnome.

I was thinking that maybe Croix will try to climb to the top of the tree to fully understand the nature of the curse or see if there's something that she can use to cure Chariot up there.

That and lending him some character designer/animation stuff and it would be ok.

People can say whatever they want about what he initially planned the characters to be regarding characterization, but the man can have good ideas for their skills and quirks and come up with decent and interesting lore and worldbuilding

I may be misconstruing this from your decision to potentially randomly post that picture with your text about Yoshinari, but if that isn't the case, you should know that's a Yoshigaki drawing, not Yoshinari.

If no one can reach the top then she just cut it down and let it come down by itself.

it just happens

Chariot will be the vessel of the big bad.

Yoshinari's main problem with LWA seems to be that he has a very dark sense of humor, and the rest of the staff don't think it suits the show.

kys desu

Why is Mouse Akko making KKK members have boners?

The Minotaur was fucking dissolved by sucy in the first movie.

You don't get rock hard when she says chu, I figured it was some kind of magic.

But who's the big bad.
>evil possessed Chariot
Mai dick.

The Great Witch Jennifer. Also, the Nine Old Witches were her followers so their power came from swearing loyalty to Jennifer. And so the Nine Old Witches descendants were also cursed so they must follow Jennifer so Diana will need to be Evil Chariot's evil servant against her will.

>Maybe I should write that as an alt history fic..
Please, I welcome more Chariot centred fics. I'm still waiting for that Akko x Chariot fic from that other user.

It's the Appleton gank squad

But Chariot is dead in that fic.

You must be kidding. It was as clear as day. A lot of people predicted it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about their costumes.

But the Jennifer memorial tree is Jennifer.

I should have said that pic is unrelated, but I thought that would lent to even more misunderstandings. In any case, I just posted it because it's cute, that's all.

Jennifer was like Kamisama from Dragon Ball. She was extremely powerful but she also had an evil side. She let go of all her evil powers and they became Wagandea. Afterwards, her normal self was just the tree in Luna Nova.

user, I had a nightmare with that exact same premise last week.

You mean a sweet dream.

Read Negima volume supplement its chockful with explanation on their spell, detail on how the functional magic works, or occasional several page rant to explain and justify crazy awesome shits Rakan just did in the volume.

>remember mid-Negima carefully-constructed magic battles and insane, borderline autistic worldbuilding and magic lore
>UQ Holder's "worldbuilding" is whatever ADHD-driven random element Akamatsu decided to focus on this week and battles are all about power creep and asspulls
Now I'm mad again.

It might be just me, but that dark slapstick humor was exactly what made LWA for me, not because it was edgy, but because it made me feel like a mix of emotions. If I was a child watching the first OVA, the Shiny Chariot show and the minotaur scene would have been the type of scenes that would have been ingrained into my mind and never forget (in a good way).

user, I would take anything.

What would Sucy melt now, though? The monsters are now sympathetic beyond Croix's robots.

There is the new Silva thing about Chariot and Akko being timeswapped.

But it was horrible. It started with Chariot being possesed in a ministery building, stabbed Blackwell in front of Paul and then a red tree literally sprouted from her stomach and from that tree came out a red spirit that wouldn't stop laughing and started to burn everything until a witch that looked like Claire Underwood from House of Cards started to counterattack

Didn't sound so bad until the tree.

link, pls

archiveofourown.org/works/12002772/chapters/27158523

www7.atwiki.jp/anime_wiki/pages/16784.html
They should make Yoshihiro Miyajima as director of S2 alongside Handa. They've actually been grooming him nicely.

He is a massive Diakkofag, though.

You say that like it's something unique among Trigger's staff.

>Yoshihiro Miyajima
Any references?
It doesn't matter, based producer Tustumi will just pull his ears if he ever gets overboard.

He is an episode director that does some storyboarding from time to time. He is basically Trigger's reliable craftsman dude. He was the technical director on the important episodes of LWA TV, like 20 or 25, but his biggest job since he was also storyboarder for it is episode of Kiznaiver.

It was bizarre, but then again most dreams are. Strangely enough, Andrew and Diana were conversing in the hallway when all of that happened.

I once had a LWA where I was a student teacher who also happened to be the big bad for some raisin.

imgur.com/a/a3KWA
The entire chronicle art. Enjoy.

Anyone wanted all the hat designs?

Gran Charion

I wonder what Bandora was like?

I wonder whose hat is the one with the Ankh on it? Which was Woodward's?
Why is Beatrix's so fluffy?

This makes it look like the show is a love story between Akko and Diana.

Woodward was the one with the symbol that's also on Chariot's hat.

Forgot my picture

What gives you that impression?

Technically it says "Akko -> Diana = Rival, Diana -> Akko = Troublemaker".

>That Ursula
Why would they chose that pic?

Ok, now you made me laugh.

And your comment makes you look like a filthy hardcore shipper. Seeing things that aren't even there.

What's wrong with that pic?

It's the evil Chariot pic.

kek, I never thought of it like that. That pic only reminded me of the sad crying Chariot edit.

poal.me/khka9b

Akko and her tiny girlfriend

ChariotxUrsula? That makes no sense.

It's the goat ship.

Why woul Chariot want to be with Ursula tho

>look up Diana pics on Danbooru
>nearly the entire first page is her being gay with Akko
>2nd page is the same
>and it continues for who knows how many more pages

How did we let this happen?

Fuck off, retard.
Stop trying to so hard to shit up threads.

Read again.

Chariot/Ursula is about the character herself.
The options that are about Character x Character are about the ships.

This is the future you chose.

fuck you akko gets to be with any cute little witch she wants, no one can stop her harem

Remember, sufficiently explained magic isn't magic, it's just science in their world, even though they call it magic.

Go back to tumblr/reddit where you belong and came from.
Good thing Akko's a not a mindless degenerate like you.

>Yoshinari suffers from motion sickness
>Chariot also gets dizzy quicky

Megumi Han was right, both him and Chariot are pottery.

That's the LWA tag in general.

How about Akko and Jasminka?

How about you stop talking to yourself and trying to pretend that being shipping cancer is normal?

It's the best and everyone knows it.

>First Andrew
>Then Sucy
>Now even Constanze triggers him
WHERE WILL IT END

It does in the context of "She will always live and die as a loveless Christmas cake."

>xdd i posted Diana x Akko so that means I can't possibly be the shit poster everyone knows i am!!!
Yeah, no. Not how it works.
Like get you told every single time you say this, the problem is YOU, the person that you are.

And also like always, you are wrong for how you act and what you like.

>loveless
Akko is already taking care of that.

Can't speak for her cake status, though.

I honestly don't know whether to be impressed or worried regarding your dedication to your bit. But either way, this will be my last (You) paid to you, please spend it wisely.

>Akko revives magic
>with that more bad people gets to wield it
>ancient evils that have become dormant because the magic went away reawaken
>Akko vs lovecraftian monsters
'When?