Why did he choke? also what the fuck was the last 30m of this

why did he choke? also what the fuck was the last 30m of this

Other urls found in this thread:

eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/1999-December/033186.html
youtube.com/watch?v=px7FFMOTtyM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Instrumentality = humanity becoming a hive mind after their bodies disintegrate in to LCL, the last 2 episodes of the tv show, give us instrumentality from shinji's mental perspective with zero context for what instrumentality is or how it came about, it ends with him making up a happy ending for himself instead of accepting the reality of the situation, The End of Evangelion (1997) movie gives us context showing 3rd impact taking place in the real world bringing about instrumentality, then shows Shinji's mind further down the road rejecting instrumentality allowing himself and anyone else to come back to physical life should they wish to.
Judging by the aging on the Mass Production Eva units Instrumentality may have lasted centuries.
At the very end Shinji tries to strangle Asuka. Reason being he is emotionally broken from the virtually endless mind fuck they just went through and won't take anymore abuse from her plus his mental simulation of her pre-instrumentality rejecting his begging for help basically set Instrumentality in motion.

gay

So? I don't get how this analysis answers either "why did he choke" or "wtf did I just watch"

it was anime duh

Watch it again and pay attention this time

>why did he choke Asuka?
That explained it as clear as day.
>"wtf did I just watch"
You saw humanity mentally becoming a hive mind & Shinji's mind experiencing it.

Did you watch the series before hand?

Some dude was trying to convince me that everything in the movie was explained in the last 2 episodes? Anyone even want to try unpacking that because I can't even understand how anything other than the last 20m or so related to those two episodes

you saw a pile of garbage and wasted your time
congratulations op

>wtf did I just watch
Shinji being given control of instrumentality/the third impact and seeing his introspection that leads to him actually pulling the trigger on it. Then he realizes it doesn't really solve anything and undoes it.

It's not clear why he strangles Asuka at the end but there's some interpretations of that.

We have this exact thread everyday for 12 years

Anno being an impotent cunt who was so desperate to shill the most hated character in a cast of hated characters that he threw a chunk of the potential it had under the bus for it.

By the way, Asuka fucking died in a horrible fucking manner in the Eva. It makes absolutely no sense for her to be in the tang hours later or come back from the dead.
What Shinji did was conjur up an asuka shaped real doll from the tang ocean and stranglebaited with it.

I don't think you can conjure shit from the LCL. A body that comes out still needs a soul and I doubt Shinji could capture souls like that and basically reprogram them after exiting his position in the third impact. Asuka wasn't dead for very long before it all began so maybe her soul was still in her dead body when everything started and so her soul was collected too.

Misato was turned into fucking hamburger meat and still was in instrumentality.

It's simple. take a standard ending and standard hero, and do the opposite in a twisted fucked up way, and simpletons go, "WOW SO DEEP"

instead of courage, he is a coward

instead of having balls, he is a pussy

instead of the hero saving everything at the end, he ruins everything,

instead of love, it becomes hate.

SO DEEP GUYS WOW such amazing genius writing

>he ruins everything
There were two other parties wanting the third impact to happen. Shinji didn't particularly want it to happen but his insecurities led to him going along with it. But he realized it was shit and so reversed it. Anyone who wants to can come back and live in the post instrumentality world where supposedly everyone involved shared consciousness with every other being on Earth, which probably leads to people growing and learning to respect others.

If Shinji hadn't been the one to do it everyone would have stayed "dead".

You guys

What if at the end of the movie instead of strangling Asuka... He stood over her, squatted down and hovered his ass in her face then ripped a fucking huge wet chili fart in her mouth. and he hangs his head in shame, shadowing his eyes with a long pause
>"You're disgusting."
then shinji says "I'm so fucked up" like at the beginning

None of the rei clones had an actual soul.
They were just shadows.

He litterally conjured a soulless flesh puppet out of the tang with his god powers or whatever.
The little faggot didn't even rape the fuck out of it on the tang beach and contaminate the ocean with spunk. He just choked it and sobbed.
Anno has some problems bruh.

Didn't Rei's clones have at least part of (if not entirely) Lilith's soul?

Why did him choke her?

Shinji choked because he didn't know what the fuck was going on or what was real, was on the brink of insanity, and because of all the shit Asuka did in the tang. Asuka touching his cheek was what the entire series was building up to, it was the most important moment and message of the franchise and probably came from Anno's depression. Showing compassion for other people and empathy for their problems can go a long way, and that everyone has problems not just yourself. You don't need forced tang to properly communicate with and understand other people, and even if everything goes to shit you can still be happy.

Souls in nge have a lot more worldly presence than what you'd think of them as, they're practically physical entities with the way the show talks about splitting and reusing them. It wouldn't be too retarded to say that the souls could stick around for a while or something like that.

What was really enraging was Yui waiting for Asuka to die before acting. That shit still infuriates me to see best girl finally learn the truth then to get raped like that.

He choked her to see if he and she still felt pain.

Its a happy ending guys

What if shinji had acces to unit 01 after misato's death, got in it and helped asuka fight the MPE?
would 3rd impact never had happened?

>Part II (movies) Drama card D-88
>Title: "Kimochi warui"
>Small print:

>"Shinji renounced the world where all hearts had melted into one and accepted each other unconditionally. His desire... to live with 'others' -- other hearts that would sometimes reject him, even deny him. That is why the first thing he did after coming to his senses was to place his hands around Asuka's neck. To feel the existence of an 'other'. To confirm (make sure of) rejection and denial."

These cards were made by Gainax and I'm sure Anno wrote the descriptions, so there you have it. Shinji was testing if instrumentality was over for real. He probably wanted Asuka to slap him so he could feel pain after the pleasure-orgy that was instrumentality, but instead she caressed his face. He starts crying either because he can't believe she would be kind to him now, or because he's glad instrumentality is over, or simply because he's emotionally overloaded.

Asuka's first words aren't as explicitly explained. Asuka's seiyuu on the matter:

>At last Anno asked me "Miyamura, just imagine you are sleeping in your bed and a stranger sneaks into your room. He can rape you any time as you are asleep but he doesn't. Instead, he masturbates looking at you. Then you wake up and know what he did to you. What do you think you would say?" I had been thinking Anno was a strange man, and at that moment I felt disgusting. So I told him that I thought "Disgusting." And then he sighed and said "I thought as much."

It seems unlikely that she is ONLY referring to Shinji's masturbation when she says this. I think kimochi warui broadly refers to everything she saw in Shinji's memories and feelings during instrumentality. It also probably refers to disgust at the idea of her soul having been conjoined to someone with such nasty thoughts.

You could also say that 'kimochi warui' was Asuka's personal overall opinion/review of Instrumentality. She might be saying, 'Seeing you masturbate onto me was disgusting. I'm glad instrumentality is over so I can go back to only having my personal thoughts.' Asuka was apparently the only other person to exit Instrumentality, at least at this stage, so it seems she really hated it and preferred individuality.

The alternative script reveals that these posts are grave markers which Shinji erected for all of his friends, except for Rei. This would imply he doesn't believe they are coming back from instrumentality and prefer to stay in the soul gestalt.
But then Asuka spawns in and kicks her gravepost down. This isn't included in the final episode but the grave posts and the kicked one still are.

Wasn't the script originally written to have Asuka say "Someone as weak as you could never kill me?"

eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/oldeva/1999-December/033186.html

1. The EoE storyboard book (which is included in the VHS/LD movie box
>set) has apparently a different last line for Asuka, which George Chen
>has translated as "... urr... I don't want to be killed... not under
>this circumstance...". The storyboard for that scene also has a
>direction for the VA to speak in a very cold tone.

The last line in the EoE Storyboard book is:
"... Anta nanka ni korosareru no wa mappira yo."
Which I translate as:
"... (I'll be) damned if I'll be killed by the likes of you."

The direction to the VA is:
"Kore ijou naku tsumetai koe de"
Which is literally:
"In the coldest voice possible"

Wow an actually good reply in an eva thread

What if you left this board and came back when you aren't underage

It's also worth saying that in this draft Asuka was still supposed to spawn in and kick down her gravepost before she walks over and lays down with Shinji and the scene plays out as normal.

Shinji erected those graveposts himself, and Asuka seems insulted that he thought she wouldn't come back from instrumentality (and is even more insulted when he apparently tries to send her back by strangling her)

When you factor in Shinji's canon motivation for strangling her () it almost seems like this scene is depicting the first post-instrumentality misunderstanding, as if to illustrate that such a thing is possible again.

Here's Misato's gravepost, still standing tall. Looks like she prefers to stay in the gestalt with Kaji and her dad.

So apart from maybe Misato, Gendo and Kozo, who else would stay in instrumentality?
i doubt anyone else would, maybe Ritsuko

The MPs would stand back up and mob them both like they did to Asuka, Shinji or Asuka wouldn't get a chance to rip out any one's core without the rest ganking them or going to gnaw on the other, until Shinji called up enough power to crush them all outright and brought the original lance to himself, exactly like Seele wanted. The videogame scenarios are silly.

I don't think Gendo will stay in instrumentality. He only wanted it so that he could meet with Yui, who is trapped inside Eva-01 and cannot be removed under any circumstances.
In the NGE 2 video game, Gendo wants everyone's soul to be placed inside of Eva-01's core, his included, so that he can meet Yui again. But in the penultimate scene of EoE, Eva-01 floats away endlessly into space with Yui's soul still trapped inside.

In all likelihood Gendo will kill himself

Instrumentality seems like a hell of a drug, no such thing as loneliness or character flaws or etc. anymore

Yeah, it was Lilith's soul.

That's why Lilith's true body, which is crucified in Central Dogma, doesn't react when the Lance is removed. It only moves when Rei goes into it.

You can accomplish that right now with a helium tank.

Yeah but Instrumentality is still an experience, there's happiness to be had

Death is just going to sleep forever with no dreams, it doesn't compare

>instead of the hero saving everything at the end, he ruins everything,
It's more like he chooses what he wants for himself.
The world was already fucked either way because of gendo and seele, Shinji just gave it a chance

The final scenes between shinji and his mother were great.

Someone needs to make one of these for Evangelion. Your post would be at the very tip-top of the first level.

Just because asuka came first, it doesn't mean the others wont come.
We are boarding pure headcanon areas, but i think its entirely possible for people like misato to come back. Maybe even kaji, if his corpse wasnt past "expiration date".

The clones in the fish tank were complete soulless blanks. Ritsuko say it herself. There is only ONE rei soul, although it gets split and mixed around in a few parts in the anime.

So are they just both around chilling in ghost mode?
Shinji can obviously still see them

Reminder that Ritsuko is the sexiest and cutest woman in Eva and also did nothing wrong

A little late, but i managed to find my pasta about the chocking.

The scene is better explained by this song
youtube.com/watch?v=px7FFMOTtyM
If you dont know what it is, it is a cut song that was considered to play during either instrumentality instead of Komm Susser Tod or during a final credits at the end of the second half. While KST is more about shinjis despair, this song is clearly about shinji and asuka relationship.

So lets start with the first chocking scene, the one that turned into the whole end of the world.
It happens in the early stages of instrumentality, Shinji and asuka's souls are meeting up in that imaginary setting. Shinji already "lost" Rei, Misato and Kaworu. He spent the entire pre-instrumentality part of the movie wanting asuka to help him. In his mind, she is his last friend.
However, in this soul state, she calls him out on his bullshit, hypocrisy and selfishness and rejects him. He, in turn, snap and attack her (even if its a non-corporeal situation) and just gives up on life. He tell Giant rei that he wishes that everyone was dead, and so it happen

His epiphany happens, he realizes he fucked up, he leaves instrumentality, and eventually so does asuka.
The asuka that rejected him, the asuka that made him lose him will to live, the asuka that clearly HATES him.
So he goes finish what he started in instrumentality: kill her
But for some reason, she shows him a little bit of kindness despite all shit that happened. He crashes and start crying. She isnt as bad as he convinced himself.
She then call him disgusting, which is, in all fairness, a valid accusation.

Why did she show that little bit of kindness is a good question i dont know how to answer. Instinct? Pity for him as she knows he is very similar to her? Confusing feelings about him? Maybe even in instrumentality people can be confused internally and change their mind? Who knows. What happens next is up to each personal interpretation and discussing it is meaningless.

There is no 'Rei soul'. Rei is genetically a clone of Yui Ikari, who is Shinji's mother. Yui's soul is inside Eva 01.

Here is conventional Rei theory: the soul inside Rei is Lilith, the creator of humanity. The creature crucified in Central Dogma is Lilith's original body. NERV salvaged Lilith's soul out of that body and placed it inside a Rei body. See: Now for the strange part no one understands: some part of Lilith's soul is trapped inside EVA-00. (image related)

Do you remember the strange and cruel way how Rei I behaved? She told Naoko that Gendo called her a hag. Rei II and Rei III don't behave that way, so it's possible that only the 'cruel' aspects of Lilith's soul are trapped inside EVA-00, in the same way that only the maternal aspect of Asuka's mother got trapped inside EVA-02.

Rei and her behavior is one of the biggest weird things of Evangelion. She does not always behave in a 'god-like' manner the way Kaworu does. Also, I don't understand why Rei (Lilith) cares so much about Gendo. Maybe when Yui's soul was trapped inside EVA-01 part of it was left behind, salvaged out, merged with Lilith's incomplete soul and the new conjoined soul was placed into Rei's body. That would explain why Rei cares so much about Gendo, and later about Shinji.

I think shinji can only see them when they want, like ghosts.
They will probably stalk him for the rest of his life, they still love him.
Karl will probably make completely autistic comments time to time and rei will give him the silence treatment.

Given everything he knows, does shinji pray to those 2?
If he needed some divine intervention to survive an accident or some shit, would he pray for them? Would they help?

It is also possible that the soul trapped inside EVA-00 isn't part of Lilith.
It might be a broken, distinct 'Rei' soul.
Imagine that Rei I evolved her own distinct soul somehow, even though she was supposed to only be Lilith.

Perhaps this 'distinct' Rei soul somehow ended up in EVA-00 some way.
That would be tragic.

Preaching to the choir. I kinda expressed myself badly.
I know that the rei soul is liliths, and i know she is split in 00 and rei ii, and whe both blew up they merged on rei iii.

Also, particular theory about the "birth" of rei and how they got Liliths soul inside her:
Yui performed the contact experiment and got tanged inside unit 01.
According to some side material, unit 01 still was being cloned from lilith during that time. Both beings were physically linked. So its safe to say both souls inhabited that body for a while. Maybe they even communicated a little.
Rits mom tried to use a machine to make Yui reappear, but it failed. Just like it happened with shinji.
Then comes my theory: Gendo, without full knowledge of yuis plan and understanding of how souls work, tried to create blank copies of his wife body so her soul would be able to naturally go from the eva to the clone.
He exposed one of those clones to the Lilith/01 mash up, and a soul did came to the body. But it wanst Yuis, she was dead set in becoming an Eva. It was liliths. Thus Rei I was born

If Rei's soul is 100% Lilith, it doesn't explain why she loves Gendo and Shinji.
There has to be more to it than them saving her.

Same reason all girls in anime like bland MCs. They were nice to her.

Well, why cant she?
Gendo is pretty much the only person on her life for several years, even if he wasnt a particularly great "father" and shinji is a overall nice kind boy who showed her there is more to life than gendo.

Kaworu isnt linked to shinji (at least not in NGE) and still loved him. Thats the power of the mystical Ikari dick and the MC plot armor.

>According to some side material, unit 01 still was being cloned from lilith during that time. Both beings were physically linked. So its safe to say both souls inhabited that body for a while. Maybe they even communicated a little.

This would support the theory that Rei's soul is a Lilith/Yui combo meal.

This makes a lot of sense the more I think about it. Rei I, who was only 3-4 years old, was jealous of Naoko, who Gendo was fucking. If Rei I's soul was 100% Lilith it makes no sense for her to be jealous like that. Her soul must also include a component of Yui.

Think also of Shinji's comment about how Rei seems 'like a mother.'

>Think also of Shinji's comment about how Rei seems 'like a mother
Rei is literally the mother of everyone on earth though.

There isn't a both, they're perspectives of the same thing. Go check, neither one looks at or speaks to the other in EoE, only Shinji responds to them and he doesn't address them individually. They aren't exchanging lines even in their duet, they're saying the same thing with Rei delivering the parts about return and growth and Kaworu warning of the consequences of failure.

The 3 Magi are basically a digitized soul. They may represent the three aspects of a human soul in the Evangelion canon

I don't think Rei's soul can contain the 'mother' aspect of Yui because it's already inside EVA-01

You're right, but it doesn't explain why she was jealous of Naoko.

The smile rules out that it's a child innocently repeating something. She deliberately said this to turn Naoko away from Gendo.

Only Yui would do that I think, Lilith has no reason to be jealous of Naoko.

Asuka's soul was probably made by salvaging one from a bar of pure gold, mixing it with souls derived from sugar, spice, and everything nice. Then imbuing the soul into the cutest vessel available on Earth.

That's the recipe to make an Asuka.

Choking has lots of different interpretations. The one I like is that he's checking if this is a world where people can still hurt people, unlike the instrumentality he rejected. Asuka's response shows that even though people hurt each other, sometimes they don't and therefore human interaction is worth it.

You're right about the choking at minimum. It's canon that Shinji was doing a 'hostility check' on the new world's rules.
See:

Normally when two souls 'become one' a child is generated. A new soul.
Lots of souls became one during Instrumentality. Wonder if there is a huge population issue now.

Maybe this is the way Evangelion's world regains its population. At the start of the series it has like two billion people because of Second Impact, and very few children.

I would think he would probably try to fuck Kaworu in his ghost form considering he's obsessed with him

>only Shinji responds to them
No, they show up to berate Gendo too, along with Yui. They add onto each others lines in the final scene with Ands and Buts.

Thing is, Asuka's original line was still to come after doing nothing to resist Shinji but eventually brushing his cheek and then waiting just as long to react again after. She was letting him.

Yeah, that kinda proves she was doing it to stop him from killing her though

You're trying to say that stroking his cheek instead of fighting him meant she was 'letting him' kill her?
I don't understand what you're trying to say with this post. What part are you disputing?

She knew that it would stop him, but that doesn't mean there wasn't also another purpose to it.
It's too important of a moment for that to simply be her way of disarming him. There is also meaning in it.

It's wrong. Rei was never a genetic clone of Yui in the original series. She's a mix of both Yui and Lilith, making her a genetically engineered human being - not a clone.

You also miss a big point of Evangelion apparently, and that is that Rei is Lilith herself shoved in a human body. The Lilith giant in the basement is "empty", because she's been hollowed out and put into Rei. I'd be wary of buying into "split rei" nonsense as well, as that was never confirmed or ratified in the original.

Rei cares about Gendo and Shinji because they are the only ones that show compassion to her. As well as borderline the only ones she interacts with. She explains in 25 and 26 that while having lilith's soul, she does not have lilith's personality and the 'person' that is Rei Ayanami is formed solely off of her interactions with others.

>She's a mix of both Yui and Lilith, making her a genetically engineered human being - not a clone.
I don't remember anything that would lead me to believe that Rei has Lilith's DNA.

>You also miss a big point of Evangelion apparently, and that is that Rei is Lilith herself shoved in a human body. The Lilith giant in the basement is "empty", because she's been hollowed out and put into Rei.

I didn't miss this, I stated it myself in both these posts, including the one you replied to: "the soul inside Rei is Lilith, the creator of humanity. The creature crucified in Central Dogma is Lilith's original body. NERV salvaged Lilith's soul out of that body and placed it inside a Rei body"

>I'd be wary of buying into "split rei" nonsense as well

There has to be a soul inside EVA-00. During the berserk sequence, Rei II sees that soul. It looks like an insane version of Rei. See the gif in Also, during both of EVA-00's berserk sequences it attacks Akagi thinking that she is her mother, Naoko. Naoko is the person who strangled Rei I to death.

Explain why Rei I is jealous of Naoko's sexual relationship with Gendo.
See: the webm in There is NO reason she would behave this way if her soul was 100% Lilith. There must be part of Yui included. It also explains why Gendo cares so much about Rei. He doesn't give a shit about Lilith or the body she's using, he's not that superficial. But if there is part of Yui inside Rei, that would explain why he's so protective of her.

Nah just blown in half. There's actually a frame of her legs flying through the air.

I wouldn't say that Yui necessarily knew what was going on outside of NERV. Eva 02 usually activates when Shinji is in extreme distress, which I think is all that happened there.

Misato wouldn't stay in instrumentality. Her final speech to Shinji basically shows that she already has an understanding of everything Shinji learns in Instrumentality and her progress through her own mind was not arriving at that conclusion (staying tang) in 25 and 26.

It's not like she half wanted him to go through with it or anything, baka.

This makes literally no sense. He just spend an unspecified but presumably long time in instrumentality with Asuka being one with her seeing the whole of her mind. Asuka doesn't hate Shinji, and because of instrumentality shinji would know that.

I view it more as just a sign of Shinji's severe mental stress combined with the first act of pain in the new world, something Shinji has just learned happiness does not really exist without.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that EVA-01 budded off from Lilith, which is true. It is the only Lilith-based EVA (the rest are Adam-based.)

Anyway, this explains how Yui and Lilith's souls became linked before they were placed into Rei. Yui did the contact experiment on EVA-01 in 2004, before it was finished budding from Lilith. EVA-01 was completed in 2014. So for possibly several years, Yui and Lilith were together in the same body.

It seems likely that Rei's soul isn't 100% Lilith as is conventionally believed, but a Lilith-Yui amalgamation. This explains also why Gendo cares so much about her, since he did everything for Yui in the first place.

Or it's also possible that before they were separated, Lilith saw the whole contents of Yui's soul, and she carried those thoughts with her when she was transferred into Rei. That could explain why she loves Gendo and Shinji, and why she tries to hurt Naoko for her relationship with Gendo.

Yui chose to inhabit the Eva, did she not? Why on earth would she want to inhabit Rei?

I'm more inclined to believe what another poster said. That Rei 1 was a malicious being and that part of her soul was transferred to EVA unit 00, similar to how the motherly part of Asuka's mother was originally put in unit 02. This is backed up by Unit 00 trying to kill Ritsuko.

>That Rei 1 was a malicious being and that part of her soul was transferred to EVA unit 00
But why would whole-soul Lilith be so cruel? It doesn't make sense. Kaworu is nothing like that, and his soul is whole.

>This is backed up by Unit 00 trying to kill Ritsuko.

It makes just as much sense that the Yui-Lilith conglomerate would want to kill Ritsuko/Naoko.

That's a good point.

This may actually explain it, it would make more sense to me than Yui choosing to inhabit Rei's body.

Additionally, if Rei is simply 100% Lilith, it doesn't explain why Gendo cares so deeply about her, in the way he cares only about Yui.

It can't be because her body is a Yui clone. He doesn't care about the soulless Rei clones, which look just as much like Rei does. He cares only about the one that has the soul. The soul is what he cares about. I can't think of a reason why he would be so protective of Lilith, but all of his actions are otherwise for Yui's sake, so...

If people put as much effort into science as they do into eva lore we'd have hovercars by now

But it doesn't make sense to me that she doesn't feel anything for Shinji until he starts to connect with her. If she had the instinctual reaction to hate Naoko, would she have the instinctual reaction to love Shinji?

>I don't remember anything that would lead me to believe that Rei has Lilith's DNA.
That's your problem.

>I didn't miss this
You did, because it's wrong to say "It's Lilith's soul". It's also Rei's soul, they're the same. Therefore making a point that "There is no Rei soul" is wrong.

>There has to be a soul inside EVA-00.

Says who? There could be nothing in there. What Shinji saw could very well be something else, like a copy of Rei.

>Also, during both of EVA-00's berserk sequences it attacks Akagi thinking that she is her mother, N
This is false. Ritsuko or anyone else never thinks that.

>Additionally, if Rei is simply 100% Lilith, it doesn't explain why Gendo cares so deeply about her, in the way he cares only about Yui.

Because whatever Rei is, she has also grown up as his daughter? Rei also reminds Gendo of Yui, which means Gendo softens up to Rei.

>If she had the instinctual reaction to hate Naoko, would she have the instinctual reaction to love Shinji?
She had been around Gendo for years by the time she met Naoko

The scene is from Naoko's perspective. Rei may not have been intending to mock or be cruel at all.

In fact, Rei probably didn't realize the gravity of what she was saying. She was simply repeating what Gendo had said. From Naoko's perspective, which the scene is from, Rei appears to be smiling.

Naoko snapped.

Not the guy you're talking to, but you don't know what you're talking about. There is nothing to suggest that Rei has Lilith's DNA. Only her soul.

There does have to be a soul inside of EVA 00 because it's shown in several scenes. It appears to Rei when the angel is probing her. It awakens and attacks Ritsuko (and it literally shows Ritsuko appearing to be Naoko from it's POV) which would be impossible if there was nothing there.

Hegel's Master-Slave Dialectic in his work titled Phenomenology of Spirit.Read it.

>This is false. Ritsuko or anyone else never thinks that.

Why else do you think EVA-00 attacked Ritsuko? What motive does the soul inside EVA-00 to attack Ritsuko, besides the fact that she looks similar to Naoko and can be mistaken for Naoko? (who choked Rei I to death)

>The scene is from Naoko's perspective. Rei may not have been intending to mock or be cruel at all.
That was a flashback, not part of instrumentality. Evangelion doesn't do 'subjective' scenes. Rei really did smile.

I don't see your point.

Well, there was plenty of time for her to realize that this is Gendo, who she loves.
I'm not sure how the relationship of memories and souls works in Evangelion.

Nonetheless that scene makes no sense at all if it was all Lilith making Rei's decisions, unless for some reason Lilith and Gendo became lovers.

The way we see Rei approaching is exactly from Naoko's point of view.
>Evangelion doesn't do 'subjective' scenes
That is wrong, though. For example we see Gendo's face for a second when Shinji opens Rei's entry plug after they defeated best girl.

>That is wrong, though. For example we see Gendo's face for a second when Shinji opens Rei's entry plug after they defeated best girl.

That's just her remembering it, it's not a matter of the thoughts being passed off as reality.

I do agree that scene makes little sense without this explanation, it's just weird how it fits in with other events and how her own description of herself contradicts it.

It's nonetheless a moment in which subjective thoughts interfere with reality. The fade effect makes it very obvious, though.
I believe that Rei smiled, but I think there remains a certain ambiguity in the way the scene was directed.

Oh, hell no, they're extrapolating from headcanons. These would be the same kind of people that form concept from the dictionary definitions of real words science uses for arbitrary names.

>Not the guy you're talking to, but you don't know what you're talking about. There is nothing to suggest that Rei has Lilith's DNA. Only her soul.

There's a lot actually. Try the inhuman powers and abilities, and non-human physiology. You said Lilith, I didn't. Even a gradeschooler should know that a clone by definintion has the same physical attributes as it's donor. Not the case for Rei.

Stop reading anti-rei propaganda on evageeks.

>There does have to be a soul inside of EVA 00 because it's shown in several scenes.
Nope. What you think is a soul, doesn't have to be.

>It appears to Rei when the angel is probing her.
No, that's the Angel taking the form of Rei.

>It awakens and attacks Ritsuko (and it literally shows Ritsuko appearing to be Naoko from it's POV) which would be impossible if there was nothing there.

Not true, could very well a copy of Rei. Protip: when Shinji syncs with EVA00, what exactly are they testing? They are testing if they can use the data in order to go forward with the dummy plug project.

At any rate, there is exactly zero evidence that some split part of Rei is in there. Even the extra games like NGE2 explicitly make it clear that EVA00 does NOT work like EVA01 or EVA02, who both require souls.