Afraid of meat? Reindeers in Norway get culled because infectious brain disease

hjortevilt.no/kjente-dyr-felt-nordfjella/

The disease is similar to mad cow disease and caused by prions. Their brain is rotting away. So the whole herd gets culled.
So far it's only known in Norway.

Has this always be a thing? Do you think this will happen more often in the future? Do you think this could get passed on to humans too?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.ca/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/51191-cannibalism-prions-brain-disease.html
sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/norway-plans-exterminate-large-reindeer-herd-stop-fatal-infectious-brain-disease
gizmodo.com/heres-why-200-000-saiga-antelope-dropped-dead-in-kazakh-1822172513
wilderness-society.org/wolf-europe-many-real/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sounds like a great way to push pharma with "vaccines" and effect meat markets like the DREADED swine flu and avian flu and spanish flu ect ect

CWD Chronic Waste Disease

Its a similar thing in the states and requires the culling of deer. Nobody knows why it exists or how it comes about but its usually when deer populations get too high.

sounds like Myxomatosis for rabbit populations

But do you think it can affect humans too?

All the examples so far affect humans, so it's very probable, it's also fairly obvious that happens because deer eat other deer meat.

Its not new. Its called liberalism

>Has this always be a thing?
Only since (((big meat corporations))) decided it would be smart to feed ground up animal parts, including brains, to livestock. Cannibalism for cows, basically.

>caused by prions
Yes it exists in humans, but pretty much the only way to get it is to eat a human brain, it literally only affects cannibals.

HAHHAHAHA dios mio...

Wildlife biologist here. Some of the CWD cases are actually caused by invasive Asian mites. The weirder cases are something else. But it's probably a mystery because it's not just one thing.

so reduce meat consume?

Don’t eat the brains of animals. Problem solved.

cow feed contained cow brains. Bad idea with any type of feed, but with herbivores it was completely idiotic.
Some idiot fed it to these raindeer.

but in the 90ies there was a case of mad cow disease in UK
weren't humans also affected?

This is what happens when you consume brains, your body develops a anti immune response to the other brain material and attacks all matching proteins(brains)

google.ca/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/51191-cannibalism-prions-brain-disease.html

If you ever read up on prions, basically everyone is fucked because they're persistent(as in more than a decade later sheep grazing on land that had some diseased livestock will get infected,) airborne, doesn't matter if you're super vegan, the whole world is polluted with the near indestructible(labs don't like to test because basically have to burn down the whole lab to molten blob to avoid lab contamination) beasts.

>Prions

Mad respect, they're the hardest ones to play in Plague Inc.

Shit. Not good. Reminds me of a post an user made maybe a year ago. Said that within the next 10 years or more, the Mad Cow disease would jump to humans and also something about it being dormant, like a ticking time bomb. Like some people are affected already, but it hadn't activated yet.
Might be a good idea to avoid meat that has been handled in a facility where they also handle brains.

This is not what happens when you consume "brains". This is what happens when you consume brains that already contain prions.
A prion is a protein that binds to, and folds similair proteins to look like itself, forming long chains and destroying the structure of the brain in the progress. It's not a response by the immune system.

Its not caused by pryon, but is actually the result of a parasitical annelids which burrow itself within the upper cellular layers of the brain.

The north american mad cow disease was caused by this parasite, for the fecal matters of infected deers (White-tailed deer, for some arcane reason, are both the main propagator of the parasite AND are the only species not to be affected at all by the parasite) which liked to graze along the cows of farmers. Due to the slow process for the annelid to go from egg to larval to adult stage within the host, the entire population can be infected by them before the symptom even start to show. Also it can be transmitted to humans, which while we isn't their natural host and they can't truly reach genuine adult stage, they still cause a massive reaction from our immune system which can be catastrophic since they burrow themselves in the brain, basically causing the brain to swell up until the brain is too compressed and basic motor functions start to be affected. Which inevitably result in the death of nearly all infected animals over time.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the parasite had managed to go over sea, probably from white-tailed deer whom escaped private enclosure and went back to the wild. The eggs can survive for more than a year outside an host and even survive the cold of winter.

T. Guy who studied about North American fauna only to found there is extremely low amount of content about parasites and fauna pathology in general

Well they said it was caused by a prion from what I can read (google translate), so they probably did an autopsy and confirmed it was in fact a prion, and not a swollen brain.

Can't find the name of the parasite itself in English, but it goes by the name of ''Vers des meninges'' here, which basically translate to ''brain worm''

Naw. Probably just need to increase hunting or wolves or both. Predators culling the weak isn't a meme.

Mo-Mommy? I'm studying in my dorm like a good boy (if you).
>please don't be an American in Oregon

I'm saying that because at first we ourselves believed the prion were the cause but in fact were a side effect of the presence of the parasitic worm itself. Fuckers are so small they can easily pass as cells to the untrained eye, can easily pass of as prion even to the trained eye.

I'll post a pic of Parelaphostrongylus tenuis (vers des meninges scientific name) and a picture of a brain damaged by prion, you'll see what I mean.

Here is a picture of a brain affected by prion:

can goats and alpacas get this too?
I know that sheep can get it

And here a pic of a brain affected by Parelaphostrongylus tenuis:

I'm in the OSU library right now. Get rekt.

>prions
>pharmacotherapy
You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

I actually have no idea. I'm not an expert on the topic. Most of my work involves wolves and Aspen.

sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/norway-plans-exterminate-large-reindeer-herd-stop-fatal-infectious-brain-disease

here's an english article

>A year after a deadly and highly contagious wildlife disease surfaced in Norway, the country is taking action. Chronic wasting disease (CWD), caused by misfolded proteins called prions, has already ravaged deer and elk in North America, costing rural economies millions in lost revenue from hunting. Its presence in Norway’s reindeer and moose—the first cases in Europe—is “a very serious situation for the environment and for our culture and traditions,” says Bjornar Ytrehus, a veterinary researcher at the Norwegian Institute for Nature Research in Trondheim.

>Last week, Norway’s minister of agriculture and food gave the green light for hunters to kill off the entire herd in which three infected individuals were found, about 2000 reindeer, or nearly 6% of the country’s wild population. “We have to take action now,” says Karen Johanne Baalsrud, director of plant and animal health at the Norwegian Food Safety Authority in Oslo. The deer’s habitat will be quarantined for at least 5 years to prevent reinfection. The odds of a successful eradication, experts say, will depend largely on how long CWD has been present in Norway.

Anyone can give me a list of the symptom of the animal affected by the sickness in europe? We can easily pin point which parasite or thing that cause it for each parasite affect their host in a different way, something its just minute details but the difference is there.

Here a few of the symptom:

The animal is unnaturally ''nice'' or unafraid of humans, to the point that they'll walk from afar to get a closer look without any care about their safety

The animal has great difficulty using basic motor movement like walking around, instead it look like the animal a spastic with parkinson with the legs going wild at random when trying to walk

Empty looking eyes and drooling uncommon with the species

There are a few more but I don't remember

Very interesting, how did you finally suss it out?
Just by looking at it under a microscope? No mass spectrometry or any of that snazzy stuff?

And what makes you so sure this is the same parasite in norway? Lots of stuff can make groups of animals die suddenly.

Parelaphostrongylus tenuis can be transmitted across all Cervidea, Bovidea and even some Camelus.

To be honest this sickness feel very similar to what happened here in north america, if it isn't the same species then its something very similar imo, for the symptom seem quite similar.

>Has this always be a thing?
genetic disorders that affect protein folding in the brain tend to happen among mammals, yes. as long as you source your beef responsibly (grass-fed, local, no antibiotics) you should be fine.

Thanks for your learned insight, wildlife biologist user. Occasional deer hunter here. Q: Is there even a way of estimating what the chances of getting CWD from venison are?

It definitely sounds like what we have here. Sounds like they determined it's prions. As far as the brain worms are concerned, they suppress competitors for the adapted species, and since white tail have effectively the highest reproductive rate (twinning and first birth) of most large herbivores in their range, it makes sense that they could sustain it as a relative advantage even before developing significant resistance.

I've studied in a DEP in management and protection of fauna, which touch tons of subject about fauna from the management and modification of rivers to favor certain species to identification of parasites and invasive species form natives ones, etc. That parasite caused quite a lot of trouble here in North America and given that we are starting to get quite a lot of trouble due to invasive species imported by countless mean (untreated wood in shipment from China/wherever, boats emptying their ballasts full of foreign animals into our waters literally ruining our entire ecosystem, etc), it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch that such a similar event might happens the other side of the Atlantic.

Whatever pathology affected those cervidea, its has a slow growth as it would explain why they don't bother with selective execution and simply take down the whole herd as to prevent a potential outbreak of the the pathology which caused this in the first place. There is no possible treatment for these type of parasitic worm other than killing the animal and incinerating the corpse, else you risk just postponing another mass infection in a few months.

The mites shouldn't matter for human consumption. The prions are deebly goncerning, but I'm not sure other than avoiding eating brains or animals in an infected region. The brain worms and liver flukes are in basically all white tails, so cook well, don't eat brains, and avoid contamination with excrement.

It's probably worth some research on food safety.

Surprised that this is happening right now? The Americans were just there and increase NATO presence. They're known to haul irradiated crap where ever they go, like Depleted Uranium.

This is the sort of thing it does to living things. Can only imagine what the effects are on humans.

we ourselves believed the prion were the cause of the sickness until we found out that it was caused by the worms as they migrated across the brain outer layer

What kind of mites? Are they transmitting some form of virus? I always had the theory that prion disease is actually endogenous retroviral sequences (the so-called 'junk' DNA) reawakening due to some trigger from the intracellular antiviral defense. The prion itself could be a rogue virulence factor (the actual virus DNA is long dead and non-functional for transmission).

Interesting. This leaf is officially the most informed poster in the thread. Thanks based leaf.

fortunately as mutts we are immune to these effects, it is in fact the secret to our power

Oh. Love your posts in other threads. I'm not sure on the species, but they come from Asia. I believe it was roe or fallow deer that brought them at some game farms.

That's an interesting idea, but I can't speak to it.

Sandnigger looked for a cheap one night stand and since he couldn’t get his usual goat he decided to try a deer.
Little did he know that he’d start a pandemic which the world has never seen.

Ok thx will check this up, sure I'll find it on google now with your information.

Nice info

>Reindeers

fake news. Ohhh better stop it before it effects unicorn population hahaha

What's next, black sheep?

This is what John titor warned us about

This thread contains too many truly nightmarish revelations about freakish diseases, vile sounding parasites ("brain worms" for Christ's sake!), mites, prions, nameless unidentified invisible microscopic.... THINGS all apparently headed our way, just waiting for some chance inter-species encounter to mix up those nasty critters into some thing that likes the taste of human and that could very well be the ACTUAL FUCKING ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!

in Centrail Asia hundreds of thousand of Saiga deers have died. But they didn't die of brain disease but from unknown cause, they think it's a virus
gizmodo.com/heres-why-200-000-saiga-antelope-dropped-dead-in-kazakh-1822172513

Firstr you kill wolves and then you get this.

You could argue that several diseases so far have tried to wipe out a large part of humanity to balance it out but modern medicine is just too powerfull.

>but modern medicine is just too powerfull
We can only hope.

wilderness-society.org/wolf-europe-many-real/

why do you hope, do you not want africa to get fucked

No, I hope that there will be powerful medicine against overpopulation.

>modern medicine is just too powerful
Lol no, too many diseases are utterly incurable.