How much value do you put into visual language?

How much value do you put into visual language?

none tbqh

I can't believe someone took the time to do that.

This retardation. An image looking good doesn't make it deep and meaningful. It just looks good, stop being such a fag about it.

add a section about when mirai says fuyukai desu its very kawaii ^^

t. brainlet

I wish they'd return to their glory Key days

>
What font did you use to create this?

People who know how to explain how this sort of stuff works are often awful at making it themselves. I guess there is such a thing as being yourself in cinematography.

Its hilarious that someone took the time to list these fairly basic concepts of framing and cinematography, just to pretend that this is something special. The biggest joke here is the rule of thirds. I mean, how delusional of KyoAni posters to believe that this isnt the most basic thing ever and/or that it isnt being used in almost every single show in existence?

KyoAni should be avant garde like Shaft and ignore the rule of thirds.

How and when do they ignore it?

I like the idea but you completely waste it by using
kyoto animation garbage as a reference.

nothing was wasted unless you're a manchild with a chip on your shoulder

>Its hilarious that someone took the time to list these fairly basic concepts of framing and cinematography, just to pretend that this is something special

every infographic ever

They do put more effort than most into it though, even if sometimes the show is undeserving.

Man shut the hell up.

You seem to be upset.

A lot of the time my problem with kyoto animation shows is that most of the effort put into by the directors, especially yamada, is she only makes the scene look good, there's barely any meaning behind her compositions though that's understandable since there's nothing much to tell about the things she directs, but I didn't think that style of her's would persist even in koe no katachi.

He's right though. Visual direction is important but in the sense that aesthetics is what makes a visual medium enjoyable, like how the way music is good if it sounds good.

ESLs need to stop making themselves so obvious.

Only a Kyoani fag could be this delusional.

Nice reference (albeit too kyoani centric for my tastes), saved.

i also took a design class

im also a UX'er!

ebin!

Kyoani : untertainment.
Bones, SHAFT, Ghibli : Art.

>grid
Never saw that one before. Doesn't look quite as effective or natural as the rule of third.

great reply, cuck.

Yeah parallel lines are very stupid.

It can't be just Shaft that ignores it, right? Dogakobo, Madhouse, Silver Link, White Fox, Xebec, how exactly do they all also ignore Cinematography 101? Unless discussing cinematography isn't what you really had in mind for this thread.

are those lines?

yes

This thread is going to make a lot of people mad.

I mean, direction is super important in any motion picture medium right?
Thats why we have directors and pay them a lot

You're, like everyone else, is right. Direction is important as it brings emphasis in whatever the scene is communicating. Concerning the image, OP image of should of been Composition101 instead of Visual Language since there's no intended relation (or at least, a description) between what the scene wants the viewer to feel and think and how it's composed.

It's giving KyoAni too much credit (like Sup Forums does) for something that's so painfully fundamental. It's just a compilation of stills that fit a design framework.

>OP image of should of been Composition101 instead of Visual Language since there's no intended relation (or at least, a description) between what the scene wants the viewer to feel and think and how it's composed
Thank you for existing.

>It's giving KyoAni too much credit (like Sup Forums does) for something that's so painfully fundamental
You're wildly underestimating the importance of proper execution of fundamentals, and overestimating how many other studios consistently do them correctly. The OP is reaching with some of those (the visual composition in Hibike is overrated to hell and back) but there isn't a single TV anime on the level Hyouka is in terms of composition and directing, especially considering most of them aren't just pretty pictures but are arranged and integrate visual metaphors in a way that complements the characterization. Takemoto's use of light and shadow in particular is great.

How are you so sure it's that there's no meaning and it's not just you missing the point?

>the most basic, braindead elements of composition
>presented as some kind of incredible visionary direction

This compilation is completely worthless. Show me some actual deep shit, visual language that MEANS something and is part of a conscious directorial understanding instead of slapping together a 10,000px long waste of surface-level cinematic principles.

>the visual composition in Hibike is overrated to hell and back
Why?

As much as I like Hibikeks the composition and directing is very simple and obvious.

What do you mean by that?

Takemoto is stupidly good at his job.

>how much value do you put into quality cinematography

Well shit user I just have no idea. Is it important that anime is done well or not?

I think Hyouka would have looked better if Takemoto had distanced himself a bit more from all the Shinbo influence.

When he's not making absolute turds, sure.

He hasn't made anything the could be classified as an 'absolute turd'.

Maybe to your plebeian standards that's true, but not for everyone.

Thankfully that hasn't happened. Ishihara, on the other hand.

I'm exaggerating, but the point is he's very hit and miss.

>You're wildly underestimating the importance of proper execution of fundamentals

> isn't a single TV anime on the level Hyouka is in terms of composition and directing,
>Takemoto's use of light and shadow in particular is great.

yeah every frame is wallpaper worthy, but we're talking about composition and how """apparently""" no one but KyoAni uses it

aesthetics =/= composition

>t.
Fuck off.

>bumping the thread for no reason
What a retard

The point of art is to look good.
If you want meaning get into philosophy. Art is a shitty medium for that stuff.

That's retarded

>overestimating how many other studios consistently do them correctly

Okay, speaking of visual language, how's about you "show don't tell" what XBox---I mean, other anime studios do wrong in this regard. If you're OP, you spent so much time on the image collage and text; surely you can provide some visual examples of how the competition can't compete.

No, you are retarded.
Anything that can be said with a piece of art, can be said more clearly and with better arguments in an essay.
The only advantages art as is that its quicker, easier to understand, better at emotionally manipulate people into agreeing. That is, if you enjoy art for its meanings you are a lazy, superficial, brainlet.

OP made that image? I've seen it on google a few times.

Still retarded

I love Eva episode 1 so much. Like and exposition of Anno's influences (most notably Miyazaki and Dezaki) but also how he differentiates himself from, or at times surpasses them.

interesting when you think that this episode isn't even directed by Dezaki yet

are we posting grids in this thread?

Nagahama seems to have been a huge influence on Dezaki.

>The point of art is to look good.
If you had all the money in the world you'd still be a poor man
but I guess that's normal for you, so sucks to be you

Indeed. Nishikubo's directing was still fantastic.

Meant to reply to you.
Sure.

Nothing.

Looks like Rintaro

It is

Visual language is very important in anything medium, specially in the anime. A great visual can offer to the spectator more that other things like music or script, is important know how using the images of the show for makes they the most expresive possible. Kioto animation is very good in this type of ability her shows always look most beautiful

>Ghibli: children's movies

>art=good
>entertainment has no artistic value or craft whatsoever
>art is only something that makes me feel smart
Age demographics don't matter when it comes to how good something is. Only insecure teenagers pay any attention to them.

Not that the guy you are responding to isn't a huge homo, but precious few anime can hold a candle to the major Ghibli films. Those directed by Miyazaki and Takahata are obvious front-runners when it comes to this kind of thing.

>if it's untertaining, it's art
>Anything I like is objectively art

>Age demographics don't matter when it comes to how good something is
It's not good either way. I'm not sure why you're pretending I said anything however

Stop it old man. Ghibli movies suck. All of them. Not a single thing of value have they brought about

Art doesn't just mean good. Something you dislike isn't just not art because you don't like it. There can be good art and bad art and what makes for good or bad is in the eyes of the beholder. Nothing is objectively good or bad.

I really hated this movie, shoujo was a mistake

>Not a single thing of value have they brought about
Okay smart guy

Amazing input

I'm sorry you got nothing valuable from them. Me and plenty of others have, however, and I'm not even much of a Ghibli fan.

Compelling argument my man

You can't get value from something that doesn't have value. Then again. It takes a special kind of mind to defend shallow children's movies to begin with.

read >

Thank you

Kyoani uses similar templates for their characters while ignoring the original chara design of some of their works.
That's not what I call art.

>inb4 "Kyoani have very different designs, look at this pic from 2006 and this one from 2017"

They have no value by your standards but that doesn't mean they lack value to others. You aren't the arbiter of value.
Why should they be blamed for blind idiots who are unable to tell their art styles apart easily?
>inb4illjustpostthisimagethatshowsthecharactersmakingsimilarexpressionsandnotincludeanyshowthatlooksobviouslydifferenttoevenretardslikeme

Which ones?

>movie
are you retarded?

what is the small font?

I am referring to my experience with the movie version

>art now only means visuals
>I can't tell the difference so they're the exact same
Character design isn't just the outline of the head and vague face placement. It also includes
>color choice
>shading style
>eye colors
>body proportions
>amount of detail
If one of those charts showing all of their main characters showed more than the faces, which are already incredibly distinguishable to those who've actually watched their shows, showed their bodies as well, not as many sheep would think their art styles are the same.

You forgot outfits desu

That's not meant to be a complete list but that was one I should've brought up.