Is Nen unironically the most complex power system in the history of anime and manga?

Is Nen unironically the most complex power system in the history of anime and manga?

Other urls found in this thread:

bato.to/comic/_/comics/konjiki-no-gash-r848
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

O

MY

SLIPPERY

CUM

Hisoka's power is unironically my favorite power ever.

PROPERTIES

OF

>unironically
Fuck off.

BOTH SEMEN

ANAL

AND GUN

AND LUNGS

Seriously, why is Hisoka's last action so laughed at when Pitou had also her bullshit moment when she attacked Gon when she was already dead.

There are a few moments of bullshit like that in HxH, but the one that became a meme was Hisoka's battle.

Because of butthurt Chrollofags that were destroyed by the fact that Hisoka didn't die.

Hisokafags are redditors who can't stop forcing O memes.

maybe because she didn't say "O MY CHIMERA NEN"

O O
O

WE

>Pitou had also her bullshit moment when she attacked Gon when she was already dead.
How is it a bullshit moment when not only her abilities involve controlling people as literal puppets but we had already seen it control dead people (Kaito)

Who would win in a serious fight between these two?

Nen after death doesn't just come from hate and anger, Pitou's extreme dedication to protect the king is what got hers to activate. Hisoka's was from his raging battle lust.

If Gon Hated Killua enough then Gon, Killua in any other scenario

nen is honestly pretty weak. it's only good as a tool to defeat other humans/nen users. There aren't many skills for nen other than destroying, and the powercap for destruction is much less than an atomic bomb.

That being said it's extremely interesting and versatile and probably the best shonen power system

Yeah, but who would be the top?

>everyone relevant gets super powers
>powers can be literally anything
>can even make up whatever yourself
>not limited to only one
>just the same eastern mysticism that every series uses
Do you know what complex means?

>Hisokafags
Not Chrollofags

>probably the best shonen power system
Ahem.

time for the part where i ask where this is from and get shit on for not knowing

bato.to/comic/_/comics/konjiki-no-gash-r848
You get a free pass this time. If it grabs you, buckle up and enjoy the ride.

spellbooks are prone to asspulls though

>not only one
They are generally centered around a theme or concept, though. In that sense there is a limitation. Being conjurors. Their conjured items can have a slew of abilities. Or just be a roulette. Conjurors seem to have a lot of possibilities

Nen is so thorough, you can apply it to any combat in any anime and it makes sense.

Killua in literally a nanosecond. Gon ain't shit.

No but it is one of the most asspully and bullshit.

>ywn read Gash with Sup Forums ever again

No you retard.
The nen system is basic, the users are the ones that can make complex applications out of it.

O MY GOLDEN SPELLBOOK

Who are you quoting?

The way it was introduced made it feel like typical battle shounen stuff, which it essentially is I guess. Still, I think Nen is really cool. Not complex at all. It'd be more complex if it didn't feel like there were no restrictions on it. Even the restrictions in place and been ignored by making your own restrictions. It's more convoluted than it is complex.

And I'll forever be annoyed with Killua not knowing about Nen at all until he got trained in it.

adult Gon was claimed to be a threat to even mereum

>the users are the ones that can make complex applications out of it
fucking skill hunter and its fuckload of conditions

ELDER GOD TIER:
>Stands
>Nen
GREAT TIER:
>Devil Fruits
>DTB's Contractor Powers
GOOD TIER:
>Spell/Mamodo Books
>Espers
MEDIOCRE TIER:
>Shaman Kings' Stands
>'''''Magic'''''
SHIT TIER:
>Shakra
>Cosmos
>Ki
HAMON TIER:
>Hamon
>Everything from bleach

Can we just all admit that Nen persisting or even becoming stronger after death is a retarded concept in general?

Why did nobody care until Hisoka?

Nah, probably Chakra from Naruto, I think.

by magic are you referring to the ToAru/Fate kind or the FT/NNT kind?
Because the former is pretty good outside of practice

>HAMON TIER
I don't get it

Fairy Tale/Deadly Sins magic ye

No.

>hamon below shit tier
I bet you think spin is bad, too.

that shit's worse than chakra or cosmos.
it's so ill defined you forget if it's actually a thing or not

Hamon from JoJo Part 1 was literally breathing-based Hokuto Shinken, in part 2 it was Magic Kung-Fu That Does Thingsā„¢ yet ppl love it for reasons.

Spin was Hamon done right.

No, because it's a really cool concept. It's like a lingering curse and means that just killing someone isn't always the best option, opening up more possible options with telling the story.

this

Agreed

I don't know about complex but it's probably the best system or best explained system? out there. Definitely the coolest system in my book.

>And I'll forever be annoyed with Killua not knowing about Nen at all until he got trained in it.
To be fair he had a bunch of assassin family shit that made him OP even without it. But yes it is a bit weird that he wouldn't have been taught it since he was a kid.

Giving that much power to an already rebellious teen wouldn't be wise. Though it feels more like Togashi deciding him and Gon being on the same level would be more entertaining.

Bleach definitely had some high points but overall it's powers are limited to one gimmick which made them boring. Ichigo using Getsuga for the millionth time wasn't interesting anymore.

All this Zatch Bell love I've found in Sup Forums

As a power system, stands are fucking shit. Araki just makes them really interesting.

>And I'll forever be annoyed with Killua not knowing about Nen at all until he got trained in it.
If he was trained in that day one, he would start relying on that over basic assassin skills. By introducing it to him later, he can develop complementary abilties. Also part of the Nen test is to figure out that Nen is a thing.

It's one of those things that everyone loves but no one talks about. Like Calvin and Hobbes.

Nen as a power system isn't too much different from generic power systems. Just basic nen control against an opponent without nen kills or severely cripples them. Remember how Killua knocked everyone out to get his Hunter Licence during Greed Island arc? A guy like him that bothered to put just a little bit of nen into his attacks would be able to mass murder entire towns in the blink of an eye. This is all without actually going into the categories of nen control, which we quickly see Kurapika throw out the window by circumventing its limits after just being introduced to them.

Naruto divided into taijutsu, ninjutsu, and genjutsu, but illusions are just mind techniques and taijutsu was just punching and kicking. Ninjutsu was the only thing that mattered, and the rules were arbitrary. When kakashi is teaching about elemental chakra, naruto asks how the fuck the shadow bind or fat clan's techniques fit into that. The answer is just that it'll confuse naruto, and it's ignored. Nen techniques feel different but aren't.

Was he not pretty much aware of it, though? When that little dude used it, Killua immediately thought of the aura his brother gives off. So he definitely wasn't entirely in the dark.

Yeah what was up with that? Even his younger brother that joined the Phantom Troupe knew about Nen, pretty much my only gripe with the series

Because of the translation.

So what makes spell books so great?

They might have just wanted to keep him under control until he got his shit together. Being the only non-nen user, he was weaker than his entire family, so he was easier to control. Then they could let him learn nen as soon as he was "Zoldyck" enough to inherit the family business.
At least, that's the best in-universe reason I can think of.

>demons cast their spells using the books as a medium and their human partner as a battery
>new spells develop themselves during emotional moments
>book is their tie to this world and burning it sends them back
>human batteries actually have clear limits
>books are giant weak points that people actually aim for
Its basically everything good and nothing bad

But they being a good power system solely depends on the survival game nature of the zatch bell anime.It's self contained.

I'm still assblasted about chakra. It seemed like such a good magic system at first, but all of that potential was just wasted.
Remember when they introduced the idea of the 5 basic elements being able to combine into new elements, which would've been really cool and unique, but then Kishimoto immediately ruined it with his bloodline fetish?

>new spells develop themselves during emotional moments
I forgot if this remained consistent throughout the manga but the way its described sounds like asspull central

>Remember when they introduced the idea of the 5 basic elements being able to combine into new elements, which would've been really cool and unique, but then Kishimoto immediately ruined it with his bloodline fetish?
I like how the type matchups were kinda pokemon esque(cept for the part where electricity beats ground)

Well over half of Gash/Zatch's spells were developed outside of fights

chakra is great tier pushing elder god tier if you forget about the later half of shippuden where it basically turned into magic and eye powers and

>bloodline techniques considered so rare a powerful certain clans were killed off because of it
>turns out its just two or more elements used at once
>pretty much all jounin have three elements
>Haku's hyped up ice jutsus was just water + air

lol, the chakra is 100% inspired by the nen

For some reason, I thought that Haku's bloodline technique was specifically the mirror thing, not the ice itself.
I guess even as a kid, I realized ice powers seem like a logical extent of water powers, not something to commit genocide in fear of.

>but overall it's powers are limited to one gimmick
I liked those times Tousen and Yumichika altered the function of their gimmicks by using a slightly different release commands. Would've been cool to see other characters do that like Yama turning his fire into lava or Soi-fon turning her giant missile into a giant shuriken

>Ichigo using Getsuga for the millionth time wasn't interesting anymore.
Apparently his gimmick was that he had none.
since he always half assed his training he never actually got any real ability of his own and so he had to rely on basic techniques everyone else could use(shame he never learned kido)

I like nen, it feels more hermetic and esoteric than other power systems.

surprised anyone has yet to mention gates from FMA

>Yumichika altered the function of their gimmicks
>real Zanpakutou is a mass of tentacles that steal spiritual energy
>fake one is just a bunch of hand scythes on one handle
>that's it
How is that cool?

Nen can remain after death, and it was shit puppet attack, not like she came back to life like Hisoka.

The concept itself is literally aspull written into the story. It justifies characters like Kuroro using dead people's nen and pulling stunt like O MAY RABBI NUN because they somehow have a lingering attachment/strong feelings, basically vague activation requirement that can be handwaved by the author

That, and restrictions

Chakra started off as a promising power system with its type matchup, chakra reserves which are basically MP system, and the distinction between physical/"magic"/illusion

But then everything went to the gutter when it goes Arbitrary Magic:Arbitrary Magic Technique route

Memester half-wits actively looking to make a mountain out of a molehill at best

No, because it means you can't just go around and kill someone without a potential risk lingering, literally. I love when people still get butthurt over the series' already established rules.

>she was already dead
>already dead
>dead
You see, that's the point, nen after death was established a long time ago but you know the keyword here is "after", plus Pitou abilities already consisted in controlling dead people, Hisoka coming back to life was pure bullshit.

>Kurapika throw out the window by circumventing its limits after just being introduced to them.

Nothing was thrown out the window. Kurapika's EmpTime is pretty much the exact same thing that Gon-san is. Only his case is a slow-burn while Gon was a gas explosion.

Kurapika is just a Luffy clone now, and Luffy already burned like half of his life. so he's more awesome.

>Kuropika developed special nen with all the powers he feels like
>turns out you can just wish for specific powers and it works
>needs to make up massive drawback to compensate
>"I can only use these powers on the people I want to use them on or else I'll DIE"
Why do people like this series?

There is literally nothing wrong with what you just posted.

Not everything has to be the fucking X-men where you are born with your power no matter what and there's nothing you can do about it. Nen is a weapon in the Hunter world and you can customize them to your needs.

Nen would be better if you couldn't train into a superhuman already in that world.

>You see, that's the point, nen after death was established a long time ago but you know the keyword here is "after"

Yeah yeah, all that. But uh, I can't seem to ignore the fact that the only reason why Pitou's corpse was reanimated was because Terpsichora was still activated before Gon caved in her skull. Same reason why Hisoka shrouded his heart and lungs with nen before he died.

That was literally what Phinks explained to be the problem with killing Kurapika with Judgement Chain still on Quwrof's heart. Goddamn it, why can't these newkids take the time to understand these things just so they can complain.

I hated it ever since it was clearly just introduced as plot armor for mary suepika and why he didn't just immediately get assassinated by the spiders. And Pitou doing it was stupid as well

Hisoka was just that shit taken to a disgusting extreme