Anime movies/Ghibli thread

Is this the best anime movie ever made? Spirited away is also an acceptable answer but i personally would give mononoke a 11 compared to spirited away's 10

They're both shit.

how come? what do you think is the best anime movie?

Miyazaki is just fucking boring
It's kids' movies, how do you stand them

If I were held at gunpoint and told to pick the best movie or else, I would pick Horus, Prince of the Sun. But my favourites are Totoro and Akira.

a lot of them are, totoro is the first one to come to mind. but have you seen nausicaa of the valley of the wind, and this one? mononoke especially is more mature.

Mononoke and NausicaƤ are a solid 10/10

still never looks like she's wearing underwear at any point of the movie. looks naked as fuck.

One thing I like about ghibli is that there is rarely a clearly defined villain and if there is the protagonist frequently becomes friends with them by the end.

Meanwhile disney almost always has a completely black and white hero villain thing going on.
Where by the end the hero defeats the villain but "killing you would make me just like you!" so the hero instead passively watches while the villain is eaten by a crocodile/hyenas, falls to his death or similar.

Not only is this black and white morality really simplistic and the villain having to get what he "deserves" very vindictive.
But I also think its pretty contradictory to say killing is wrong while at the same time having an irredeemably evil villain that deserves to die.

I want to fuck nausica.

She wears pants lad, the firsts minutes also gave me that impression .

i know she does but all those shots of us seeing her fly from behind makes it look like she's wearing nothing

pic related

>obligatory ghibli ranking
If you want to watch movies for the visuals and dont care about bad plot: Nausicaa & Kaguya
If you want a complete experience that combines stunning visuals and good writing: Laputa & Spirited Away
If youre above the age of 16 and dont suffer from brain-damage: The Wind Rises

how old is she again

Nausicaa's story is great. Kaguya-hime too, if you accept that the source material is highly simplistic.

mononoke has a good story, if slightly generic

I should have phrased the differently I guess. Kaguya is a questionable reinterpretation of the bamboo sprout tale, and Nausicaas story while ok has dog shit characters which is its biggest flaw. Its by far Miyazakis most visually impressive work though. Shame is fails so miserable in most other aspects. And even the visuals fall off towards the last third thanks to most of it being pitch dark backgrounds.

Yeah it does, I love that movie. Even if the general archetypes are generic (as tends to be the case for most stories) the world and character's which inhabit it feel fresh. Miyazaki I think is good at making very Japanese movies.

Nausicaa's characters are great. Why is Takahata's version of Kaguya questionable?

>Nausicaa's characters are great
Yea, exceptional writing. Almost all of them are flat as hell and never receive any actual exposure or development. Nausicaa herself is nothing but your typical hippy character that wants to live in harmony in nature, which is basically all there is to her character. Really, Miyazaki cocksucking only gets you so far, user. Laputa has a significantly more endearing and fleshed out cast than Nausicaa.

Is a very good movie but no.

I like both Laputa's and Nausicaa's casts. Nausicaa herself was a great heroine, that scene early on where she kills someone really sold her character for me.

Porco Rosso is fucking great people don't give ir enough love

It sees tons of love from what I can tell. Deservedly, it's brilliant.

I want her to nauseate from choking on my cooking.

It's ending feels like its lacking something. What I do not know..... But something.
>Spirited away is a classic. #1

U wot m8?

5 cm/s
But this is my opinion because it's so realistic and has a great ost and feel to the entire thing

If you mean the manga sure. The movie was shit.

>Is this the best anime movie ever made?
No.

Best animu movie ever is either Belladonna of Sadness or Mind Game. This is objectively an opinion I hold, but one I firmly believe in

Trash, manga is superior.

Moana wasn't like that. The only irredeemably evil villain was Germaine Clement's character and he was a giant crab monster in an underworld type setting, so that was to be expected. Moana becomes friends with the main antagonist at the end.

Ghost in the Shell is the most boring fucking anime movie I've ever seen. I rewatched it recently (well, like five years ago), and I really don't think it holds up. I get that it's deeply philosophical or whatever, but christ, there's got to be a better way to get your philosophy across than just endless exposition over still or nearly still images.

When it's good it's good, but goddamn is it ever slow.

Which Ghibli movie has the best soundtrack and why is it impossible to determine because they're all incredible?

What about ponyo? If nothing else, the visuals were stunning in that.

Every single Ghibli movie is a complete waste of time except for Grave of the Fireflies maybe. Stunning visuals can get you so far.

>Every single Ghibli movie is a complete waste of time
Wow dude, that's quite the contrary opinion you have there. Good job, well thought out.
>Stunning visuals can get you so far.
In a medium where expressive, inventive visuals are maybe the most unique aspect, I'd suggest stunning visuals can get you a long ways (especially when paired with incredible, poignant music from Hisaishi).