So are they actually an item at the end or nah? Cause I kinda think they're just friends. Really good friends...

So are they actually an item at the end or nah? Cause I kinda think they're just friends. Really good friends, but just friends.

>she likes him
>he is oblivious because he thinks how can a girl he bully would even like him romantically

Anybody who's really good friends and are heterosexual males and females are probably fucking

Sorry to shatter your naive illusions

Did you know your dad also fucked your mom probably like a bunch of times?

Sorry, I just find it hard to believe that they're lovers when Shoko is the only one to confess her feelings. Shoya was entirely passive and beta when it came to any sort of feelings he might have for her.

I suspected the author was thinking of pairing them up, then decided against it

Well stories are stories
Everybody in a story is permanently a virgin in any case

>Did you know your dad also fucked your mom probably like a bunch of times?

>still calling her by her last name with honorifics
>doesn't have any clue what her life plans are and has to ask her mom
They're clearly not a couple.

They're pretty clearly together in the manga.

I don't think this is actually the case in my case desu both my parents are sexually repulsive so they never fuck

Evidence being?

Well after what happened you would think that they would eventually end up together. I mean they do love each other very obviously but the dude doesn't think he deserves her. Usually that works out in the end.
>pic related sorta

It ends with them, walking hand in hand, blushing, to face their old class?

She says she's nervous and he pulls her along. That's it. It's a romantic note narratively, for sure, but it doesn't strike me as strong in-universe evidence that they're already dating.

They like each other, but that's all at the point where the story stops. A lot of people complained about the ending back when it first came out, but I personally am glad that it didn't cheapen things by ending things in your typical "love conquers all, as long as that love is romantic love" bullshit.

shoulda used those sooner, Pedro

See, I totally agree, but then what was the point of the scene where Shoko confesses to Shoya? I feel like that went nowhere and if that scene wasn't there then I would feel a whole lot better at the ending. But because the possibility of a romantic love was teased it made the non-development of it feel weird.

>your typical "love conquers all, as long as that love is romantic love" bullshit
Wait, what? How is it "love conquers all" if they wind up together after everything has already been conquered? And how does that address the silliness of having a romantic subplot, and failed confession, that never gets wrapped up?

>See, I totally agree, but then what was the point of the scene where Shoko confesses to Shoya?

I assumed it was to make her feelings clear for the audience rather than leave them ambiguous. You are shown what Shoya's thinking and how he feels about the whole situation, but you're only rarely shown what Shoko is thinking.

I also wasn't bothered by how nothing concrete came of that scene. A person who is capable of genuine love for others needs to love/value him or herself first. Considering that one is a former bully whose heart is filled with both regret + resentment and the other is an emotionally stunted deaf girl who almost committed suicide out of self-loathing, and that both of them only got over these problems by the very end, it makes sense that there were no great advances on the romantic front.

By the end I would say that both Shoko and Shoya have learned to love themselves. So I think it's disappointing that Shoko never tried again to confess or give Shoya more hints. It's like she ignores those deeper feelings for him for the rest of the story. I think I would've liked the story a whole lot more if the confession never took place

I think the author forgot all about that.

I kinda have to agree with this, by throwing in a confession only to have nothing come out of it pulled at my heartstrings the wrong way. Yeah, I get the story's ending was supposed to be open-ended, but after her confession nothing progresses in a noticeable value.

When ishida asks what the gift was she gets all flustered and drives off, but it could be both a bad or good thing.
a. she was embarassed that she was desperate enough for companionship she confessed to her former bully (possible Stockholm syndrome)
b. she is still interested but she just drove off for comedic effect.

Ueno gets more spotlight towards the end than shouko, as ueno goes full yandere locking herself in ishida's hospital room, but it's unlikely there's was going to be any possible romance from it and that's what she was most afraid of.

then again I could nitpick every little thing about the manga and movie, but at the of the day I'm just glad there's actually an anime about a deaf person as main character, being a half deaf person myself.

while I can agree it's selfish to try find love from someone else when you can't even love yourself. They're both broken to a degree, but only one of the two are truly fixable
>an emotionally stunted deaf girl who almost committed suicide out of self-loathing
hearing loss and depression walk hand in hand, especially when that said hearing loss caused so much childhood trauma and deflated sense of self-worth. This is one of my bigger nitpicks of the series as it only had one short chapter trying to put the reader in her shoes. The result is a lack of empathy for her life's struggle.

The mangaka chose to end the manga on that particular romantic note. Why would she choose to do that if she didn't intend for it to be interpreted as romantic closure?

well he does get all hot and bothered by learning shouko wants to move to tokyo, so at the very least by the end he develops romantic feelings for her.

No, I read the manga and it's like the author tried to set it up but then abandoned it after a couple of chapters.

as of that moment? no.
are they set up to be in the near future? yes
handholding is always the precursor to kissing, and then lewd things

yeah they also will be a hair salon owner/someone who works for a hair salon. So even in their careers they are together

This manga really upset me because I have a deaf family member and i have personally witnessed a lot of the type of shitty things that happened to her. To be honest I couldnt finish this because it started to hit too close to home.

I'm half deaf myself (from birth) and it quickly became my favorite anime movie ever, the irony being that my hearing loss drove me to social isolation, picking up anime because I could just read every conversation.

In the past week I've watched it a dozen times and read it through the manga twice, at first I could hardly watch through all the tears, and even now it still makes my stomache turn as all the painful memories come back, but even if it's not perfectly on the money on teaching empathy for the deaf and hard of hearing (HoH) it's definitely put more effort than anything else I've seen/read in over a quarter of a century.

As much as it hurt to watch and read through this, I don't regret it one bit.

when shoko has sex does she make weird noises like when she talks or just normal sex noises

>Did you know your dad also fucked your mom probably like a bunch of times?

FUCK YOU MY MOM IS PURE! PURE!!!!

she makes weird noises while simultaneously blushing and being embarrassed about it because Shouya had to go and be blunt about her voice.

I think this is still a pretty strong topper for the story.

The entire rest of the time, up till when he follows Shoko to her apartment, he can't even bring himself to touch her.

The dude didn't think he deserved to be around her, or anyone else, but then goes and grabs her without a second thought, screaming her name when it mattered most. Then, years later, we see him grabbing her hand without any hesitation, with hopeful thoughts for the future.

It would be nice to have a definitive answer as to the nature of their relationship, but I think that small glimpse of his progress was really telling.

Also sets up for an eventual result, even if they are not currently together.

>Why would she choose to do that if she didn't intend for it to be interpreted as romantic closure?
I just said "It's a romantic note narratively, for sure." That's not the same thing as them being in a relationship, though. There are plenty of series that end with the characters not in a relationship but clearly in love.

>Shoko tries to confess halfway through the series
>no confession
>absolutely nothing conclusively making them a couple
>THE END LOL

Would it be petty if I said it ruined the series for me?

I don't care, it ruined the series for me

Hey. Hey dude.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I do hope you get to have friends in the future just like Shoko.
You deserve them.

Shit, I wish I still have that vid.

The series was already ruined by the movie arc and the pointless side characters like Mashiba.

She's shy and self-conscious, so she'll try to hold back her voice, thinking she'll sound weird, only to let out the most primal moans of pleasure possible upon approaching climax.

After a point, she'd be so addicted to it, that you wouldn't hear anything from her mouth besides sucking, slobbering, and the occasional release of concentrated vocal bliss.

this is a blue board user

It is much more implied in the manga that they did end up together.

no that's an acceptable reason to not like it - you were advertised romance and got nothing but "maybe... ; )"

It never happens in the movie, but we know she does love him and I would assume that as he continues to put his guilt behind him he'll be able to be more receptive to her feelings, and they'll end up together.

Peace, nigga.

>>he is oblivious because he thinks how can a girl he bully would even like him romantically

I mean, that's actually a really reasonable thought process in his defense

I liked that it never went anywhere. Both of them were so fucked up emotionally and psychologically that getting together would have been a huge mistake. They needed to learn how not to hate themselves first, and by the end of the movie they had started to accomplish that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if after a while they did get together and ended up staying together forever.

what the fuck do you think that last hand sign they made on the bridge meant? how do you not interpret him saying "i want you to help me live" as a confession of love?

I loved the series but the fact that there was no catharsis love moment really makes me mad

I'd bully Shouko's butt

I think everyone on Sup Forums can agree that this doujin is canon ending.

that's my wife asshole

It's almost like anime isn't real

quality kek

I fucking hate the message of this anime. Never let the people who once bullied you get close to you. You can be on good terms with them, even hang out sometimes. But never, ever become best friends or romantically attached with them. This anime goes into the trash based on this alone.

shouya legit wanted to repent for what he did to shouko, he got so involved in his quest for repentance she is the only person he can think of romantically. In the last chapters of the mange shouko wants to move to tokyo and he has a miniature meltdown at the possibility of losing her.

by the end of manga shouya legit loves shouko, but the problem is you're trying to infuse 3D actuality with 2D theoreticals and hypotheticals.

*wife's

also I should mention, what do you do when that bullying extends to literally every person you've had spoken contact with? including family and 'friends'? The author herself expressed that she avoided diving into shouko's mind because she didn't know how to characterize her.

If you think I kid around when I say literally every fucking person I spoke with for extended periods of time, I mean it - I've got the shit end of jokes from family for years - they call it tough love, I call it beating their self worth into dust. For years I had teachers trying to teach me how to enunciate so my voice didn't sound so weird - shit was patronizing; people will treat you like a retarded idiot just because they have to repeat themselves.

but as someone that had to live life like this, you just try and try again until you find people that will put up with you enough to have a good time. Sometimes they're people that used to give you shit, feel bad about what they did and realize your unique perspective of life is actually humbling and insightful.

I really wish the movie and manga got into greater detail on how shit life is for a deaf/HoH people. Too many people take for granted just how important vocal communication and sound really is, but that can't be done without having such people directly involved in the writing and story telling.

well this thread lasted 4 times longer than I thought it would.

Thanks for blogging about how much of a pathetic person you are
Subbed

Doesn't mean shit
If it isn't acknowledged then they are not dating

>I want you to help me live
Is that not a marriage proposal?

what does this expression convey

ishida x ueno otp

because I totally chose to be made this way by your pompous asshole you call a god - oh and as a cherry on top you boost your own ego on belittling those botched drunk joke creations even further, how cool and pious of you.

I can't stop watching this movie

>I'm gonna make another generation of carp with you

ueno is cute, but a pretty stuck up bitch tbqh senpai, desu

This Film made me wish that I had a deaf girlfriend.
I think I may actually start learning sign-language now.

as romantic as this movie made it out to be, you don't have the necessary patience for us deaf/HoH. If you can't imagine repeating everything you've said 4 times, or taking the time to sign out everything you intend to say to her, the movie goes off the assumption she has master level lip reading abilities as only half of the dialogue is actually 'signed' and most deaf girls that go to deaf schools never have to practice that skill, so they can't read lips for shit.

I'm a dude that's bad enough society ought to be paying for my miserable existence, but I've done my best to trudge through public school and work like anyone else.