Why is this so over-rated?

Why is this so over-rated?

Fedora-elitist fandom did you mean?

muh adult anime muh intellect

It's not overrated. It's just good

why does every fan of this think that completing it means they have a PhD in political science
and that they would be one of reinhard's elite soldiers

In my case, because of Yang Wenli and his gang of skeptical middle aged soldiers.

It's not particularly overrated.

There are simply a fuckton of people that have heard that it's decent, then watched it, and say stupid shit afterwards, making it appear overrated.

I'm somewhat afraid of the DMM-version, though.
By the way: Any news on that one?

name me a better anime space opera, OP

>inb4 Tytania

The opening is better, but that's about it.

Because LotGH's fanbase is the most cnacerous and delusional in existence. They cant acknowledge issues or flaws, it has to be 10/10. The OVA has a lot of flaws, but those flaws dont make it bad, they simply stop it from being MUH PERFECT ANIMU which is what these clowns claim for it to be.

2199 and CotS/BotS are arguably better because they dont require 110 episodes to sell their plot while also being an overall better mix of diplomatics, action and underlying philosophical themes. LotGH has issues that range from mediocre animation and art direction, over severe quality controll issues that are particularly noticeable throughout the first third, all the way to badly executed subplots like the Phezzans and earth church as well as questionable audio direction due to copy pasting classical music and making questionable cuts (cant overly credit Artland for simply taking Beethovens compositions, if all studios just copy pasted already existing music then that would be an issue). Its a great show, but it has many, many flaws. They might be minor when looking at the bigger picture, but they are still flaws that add up.

Space Captain Taylor. Not even kidding.

Cowboy Bebop

Post your favorite admirals Sup Forums

Why can't newfags make threads that aren't obvious bait?

The story is very, very long but manages to progress more or less linearly without feeling exceedingly redundant. That's really saying something, considering how even 12 episode seasons find the need to include plot-stagnant filler episodes. The cast is also very large but includes many memorable and fairly interesting characters. The social and political themes brought up are often interesting and poignant, rather than feeling like random nonsense stuffed in to fill time. My main complaints about this series are that, one, despite its successes in this regard that I just mentioned, it is still just too long. No story needs 110 episodes. Two, both leads (Reinhard and Yang) are quite weak characters who just don't fill the legendary shoes they are constantly and continually billed to be wearing. And three, the frequent strategic military (space) battles are (in themselves, apart from the overarching story) typically very dumb, and repetitive to the point of predictability.

There are no newfags watching this show. It's always the very same people in the same threads making the same posts with the same replies.

One thing that especially stuck out to me was the theme of hypnosis / mind control being used to create agents to carry out political directives. That's an uncommonly known reality of today's political world e.g. Bobby Kennedy's assassin. Great documentary: Derren Brown's The Assassin, and it's like damn, they got everything.

>it's popular and widely-praised so it must be overrated
It's funny how Sup Forums shits on Sup Forums but you see the exact same retarded shit here, along with baseless contrarianism and jumping to conclusions about other people's opinions.

For me LotGH is an easy 10/10 by anime standards. Meaning that it's better than about 99.9% of shows. The writing, voice acting, and dialogue are excellent. The animation ranges from decent to moments of brilliance.
That said, I think most people acknowledge it is a flawed beast.
The narrator has some questionable dialogue at times, even though he works very well as a literary element. Yang and Reinhard are both great characters, but their motives often seem muddled or counterintuitive. I don't think the length is a problem actually, unless we count the prequel OVAs. By the time the second one rolled around, all the series themes had been exhausted.
It's still a masterpiece in my opinion though, and the fact that my critiques are that specific only affirms that in my opinion, as opposed to most shows which can be easily dismissed on a completely surface level.

>Because LotGH's fanbase is the most cnacerous and delusional in existence
More like Evafags

EVA

No. It is I who is the most cancerous and delusional fanfag in existence. Nobody else deserves that title.

You are not a group, return her after you become one

>return her
Make me Menelaus.

I am a one-person-enterprise and therefore constitute a legal group.

Not even EVA or KyoAni fags are as bad as LotGH's fanbase. There isnt any group of people that comes close, sorry.

I'm slowly watching it for the first time and I like it so far, it's not something that hooks you but it's engaging and setting up to be a long story.

Gonna leave now before I am spoiled more than I am.

KyoAni, EVA and LotGH are all pretty good though. Maybe you're the real problem, you pretentious faggot.

Yes there is and there name is Evafags

madoka

Because people on this board are so used to lolis and big titty anime women, they they cant wrap their head around an anime that focuses its plot mainly on impressive realistic design and an incredibly complex plot.

Its also really hard for autistic Sup Forums user to see anime as something more than another waifu material.

>and an incredibly complex plot
Holy hell. Whats next on the menu champ? Youre gonna tell us how Oshiis movies focus around incredibly sophisticated and complex philosophical themes?

They do. You can at worst say that he doesn't interact with them beyond a surface level or that it's poorly executed (although I'd disagree), but to argue his films don't focus on "complex philosophical themes" is pretty blatantly incorrect. If anything they focus on them to the detriment of the other aspects of his stories. Please go die.

>read LoGH
>Yang gets fucked over by the FPA for the umpteenth time
>says a scathing remark that BTFO'd their bullshit
>"yes finally-"
>Yang says to himself

Yang can be such a cuck sometimes

Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Gundam Wing
Macross Frontier
Gankutsuou

>Gundam Wing
bait

I came here to laugh at you

>he doesn't like yaoi

Dumb yurifag.

Because /m/ memed a bad OVA for joking hype reasons.
Cool mouth, does it talk with dialogue?

It just seems like the same Seme/Uke dynamic over and over. That and I'm not fan of the artwork
Also the whole "guy love" thing but that's not as important.

LoGH has better yaoi

No, it's full of breeder propaganda.

>complex philosophical themes
They are not complex in the slightest. They are incredibly simplistic and in GitS case reach such an obvious conclusion that it shouldnt be surprising to anyone who has ever read a scifi novel. The only movie this does not apply to is Patlabor2, since its focus is on political themes which are, by nature, so subjective that they can change on a whim. Urusei, GitS and JinRoh forego character writing to use them as mouth-pieces to tell stories that no properly educated person could ever consider to be deep or though-provoking. Not even gonna start on the shit that are Dallos and most of his other OVAs, those qualify as teasers if anything.

I get it, though. You think that the mere inclusion of thought-provoking themes qualifies a work to be exactly that. However, there is a gigantic difference between premise and execution, with almost all of Oshiis works lacking in regards to the latter. So please, stop telling people how any of his works (or LotGH for that matter) are complex just because youve never touched a book in your life.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand LOTGH. The politics are extremely complex, and without a solid grasp of political theory most of the plot will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Paul Von Oberstein's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these dialogues, to realise that they’re not just complex- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike LOTGH truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Oberstein’s existential catchphrase “dogs eat dog food,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Yoshiki Tanaka's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a LOTGH tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

>being this new

Your normalfag ass probably wouldn't know about this series if it weren't for Sup Forums praising it since its inception

Yea, because the show isnt top of the list on MAL and reddit. Sup Forums truly is the patrician community that acknowledges this works existence. We are such a neat little group of connoisseurs, arent we, Chap?

Cobra

excellent post fellow high IQ brethren

it's pasta about Reddit and Memey

>You've never touched a book in your life.
Stop projecting. I have an English degree.

Spicy new pasta from Sup Forums?

What works deal with legitimate complex matters then? I mean fuck, your criteria must be so insane that nothing even qualifies.

>literally 2deep4u
No one's problem but yours that you're a brainlet.

>inb4 lit101 book list and meme status European art-films

>preferably lower

>muh books
If you think that most books are anywhere near as well written as LotGH or Oshii's films, then it's more likely that you're the one who doesn't read much. Most art in general is worthless, and literature is no exception.

Anime? There are none. At least not to my knowledge. One could argue that Angels Egg fits the bill, but I am hardpressed to call an overly ambigious movie that requires its audience to interpret every single frame to gain anything out it to address complex themes. Quite frankly, I am not interested enough in symbolism to properly evaluate that movie so even if it was incredibly deep I probably wouldnt be able to tell. Experimental films are uncommon in animation, so something like AE or Patlabor2 probably come the closests, which is a pity but cant be helped. Honestly, Shimashita might very well even top that list. Anime is a simple story-telling genre and it executes that incredibly well, LotGH being but one example. The audience isnt vast enough to make actually complex works be financially feasible, especially not nowadays. No idea why people try so hard to make their cartoons appear deep. Just because A has more depth than B doesnt mean its complex.

Fuck off. You're absurd, and possibly the most pretentious person I've ever had the displeasure of interacting with.

>Most art in general is worthless, and literature is no exception.

>Oshii's films aren't deep
>except the ones that are the peak of the medium
>oh, btw, I'm not interested in parsing out cinematography
>anime can't be complex
It couldn't possibly be that you're just too brainlet, could it?

99% of books are written for literal teenagers and housewives. Tell me about how complex harlequin romance novels and YA fantasy are.

There are some pretty big flaws, but the pros outweigh the cons by far and it feels like a unique any watching experience. Don't know if I could read the books though.

*unique anime watching experience

That's just blatantly true though.

No idea. Not a huge fan of the final part, but then again, I'm a huge Wenlifag. I like Reinhardt too, it's just not the same without Wenli.

>Anime? There are none.
You sound incredibly stupid. Like a kind of person who can't actually appreciate or understand anything unless the overwhelmingly common perception is available as reference to guide them (usually into contrarianism), the kind of person who has no real opinions or ideas of their own and conflates their total lack of critical thinking with discernment.

it's the most enjoyable anime i've ever seen

>frontier
HAHAHAHA
The only good Macross is SDF. The Ova is decent but only for cool dog fights. SDF remains the only one with decent story.

ITT: brainlets trying to tell fedora-tipping elitists their favorite show is not that good (which it is, btw)

>Just because A has more depth than B doesnt mean its complex.
Except those words mean the same thing (you could easily reverse them in your statement). Your moronic tirade only functions given the assumption that there exists some objective metric of complexity, which is obviously impossible given it's a comparative term. You talk but your words don't mean anything user.

Fuck off crossboarder.

>There are none
i don't get why you're even on Sup Forums in the first place if you're this autistically pretentious.
Heck i don't even get why you even watch anime at all.

Should have read the rest of the post, then youd know.

>let me only reply to the guy who didn't bother to come up with a proper rebuttal
FagPosting 101

no thanks, i'm not as bright as you

>defending kyoani
Kyoanus loser confirmed. Kyoani is an actual blight on anime and its western fans are worse than triggerniggers. That's a tall order, you know? It's hard to be worse than people who were happy with Ninja Slayer and KlK but Kyoani losers just can't be stopped.

Nope. It's literally the best anime.

>Anime? There are none
here's your (you) now fuck off

>The only good Macross is SDF
I think you're forgetting that DYRL exists

>*fags with studioshit
End yourselves.

>trying to make minmei less of a cold cousin fucking thot
I am forgetting DYRL

She never actually fucks her cousin, and he's the one who was after her. She was just a kid enjoying the attention of being an idol

There are no proper rebuttals. One of them responds attaching a picture of Rei to his post, therefore implying that Evangelion ambigiousness qualifies it as incredibly complex while also implying that a generally acclaimed piece of works could possibly be. Another one, which was probably you based on your posting pattern, does nothing but put words in my mouth. Then you have the guy who looks at anime in a vacuum and basically implies that complex themes and narratives are bound to exist, while also saying that there is no objective way to measure complexity even though the very reason why we consider something to be complex is because its hard to grasp for the average individual. Last but not least you have the guy who asks me why I even watch anime, even though me specifically stating that I think of it as an exceptional story-telling medium. Why would I even engage in any of those conversations when all are focused around projections and false accusations?

>she never actually fucks her cousin
Did you block out the show after they reclaim earth?

Do you have screencaps of them fucking/lines saying/implying that they fucked, or is it just your headcannon?

It's just a really good series, not my favourite but still really good

Do I have off hand screen-shots? No. They were a couple though. I can concede that it's possible they weren't fucking but running off to date your cousin is still pretty pathetic.

There are no newfags watching this show. It's always the very same people in the same threads making the same posts with the same replies.

>Minmay was an attention whore which means she was fucking her cousin
>okay so maybe she wasn't fucking her cousin, but she's still an attention whore, so her not being an attention whore in DYRL makes DYRL bad
I'm really not following

Are you seriously claiming that any piece of art that reached acclaim, can't possibly be complex? Do you not understand that this is the most pathetic hipster line of reasoning ever? This is a new level of contrarian. Also, how can anime be "an exceptional storytelling medium" if it can't have any complexity? What is this cognitive dissonance you're living with?

>pretty pathetic.
Living in 2017 and thinking that incest is bad is way more pathetic to be honest.

>English degree.
English degrees have been literally worthless for at least the past 10 years.

I never said it had any worth, only that I'd read some books. If my degree had any value, I wouldn't be shitposting in this shitty thread. I'd be doing something productive with my life and time.

>Living in 2017 and thinking that incest is bad is way more pathetic to be honest.
I refused to be brainwashed user

and yaoi

Better than the non-degree in internet fedora tipping you've got from the University of Sup Forums.