I read Oyasumi Punpun for the 3rd year in a row. Last time I tought Punpun was destined to get with Aiko...

I read Oyasumi Punpun for the 3rd year in a row. Last time I tought Punpun was destined to get with Aiko, but Punpun was actually really scum while Aiko was fucked from the beginning. Still, I can't say that it would be better for both of them to have never met.

>but Punpun was actually really scum while Aiko was fucked from the beginning
Speedreading same story 3 years in a row

Is there any problem in thinking that perhaps if child Punpun had told her why he missed their meeting, things would not have ended the way they did?

I honestly think people pretending not to understand Punpun has to be a meme. There's no way anyone read it multiple times without understanding that Aiko doesn't exist at all. The entire point of the whole arc of the story is that Punpun dreams up a fantasy way to get out of his life, and over himself and his issues, but even his fantasy is poisoned by how awful he is.

Where the hell did that come from? There are many occasions where she does stuff when Punpun isn't there, such as meeting Seki and Shimizu and pretending not to be her, and dating Yaguchi before Punpun got involved.

Obviously it was all punpun's fault, he's the one who got in love with her first. Aiko didnt deserved it because she just didn't.

Is there any compelling reason of why people hate on Aiko mostly? I never even thought about why.

Well I figure because she was just unhelpful.

Aiko would still have her mother to deal with. Punpun might have ended up better if Aiko forgave him after the explanation, but unless someone got childhood Aiko out of that house she was fucked. A more interesting question is if things would have been ok if Punpun got the money and kept the meeting.

Punpun should have died, that was the perfect ending.

Him staying alive is the worst ending for him. Asano himself stated this.

>>Him staying alive is the worst ending for him
>Death is so final. Yet life is full of possibilities
And why it's that?

I wish aiko was my gf

IIRC it was because death would be an escape while in surviving he's forced to live with his mistakes.

But by surviving he has a chance to redeem himself, something he wouldn't had if he have died. That's why I think him dying is actually a worst ending not only for him but for all the other characters as well.

>Asano: After Aiko died, what he really wanted to do was just live a lonely life mourning for her, but in the end he gets caught by Satchan and it all gets sort of muddled. Punpun is broken at that point. When he talks with Aiko in his dream (chapter 145), he says something along the lines of wishing he could just disappear from everyone’s memories, but even that wish isn’t granted.

>?The phrase “Good night, Punpun” recurs multiple times throughout the manga, but in the end, when Punpun himself finally chooses to mutter “Good night”, it gets overturned by Satchan. You could say it’s the story of someone who chooses eternal sleep by his own will, but gets woken up anyway.

>Asano: That’s true. Also, I might have made it a bit less than obvious, but Satchan is making Punpun into a manga. She’s digging up Punpun’s life, which he wants everyone to forget, and turning it into something permanent ? manga.

>?Considering Punpun’s personality, that’d be a living hell for him.

>Asano: Right to the very end, I wasn’t sure how to go about doing the last chapter. Among the possibilities I’d considered, I’d thought up an ending in which Punpun dies.

>?How?

>Asano: Satchan’s child falls off a train station platform, Punpun goes down to save him, dies instead. It’s a very clean way to end. But I wasn’t sure if I wanted to end on such a clean note.

>?What do you mean, “clean”?

>Asano: It’s too clear-cut an ending for the story. It wraps it all up a little too well. Living is harder than dying, see, so I thought this was the most painful, worst possible ending for Punpun, and that’s why in the end I went with this final chapter.

>?The worst ending is the truest ending for this manga, you’re saying.

When he lost Aiko he lost everything so fuck him

If you were a depressed person you would've that life is a bitch

you would've known*

Yeah the house was a possibly permanent problem but you could argue that if Punpun explained things from the start then she would have had someone to trust and would have gotten less broken moving forward

I'm reading this for the first time and I don't even know anymore. Everybody's fucked up.

Can a single one of the protagonists of this manga be called a good person?

You're a goddamn idiot.

Why couldn't this edgy bullshit stop on the childhood arc? It was such a wonderful coming of age story. Then it shat the bed completely. I'm still angry, I've never been let down by any manga this badly.

How did it shit the bed?

It became too edgy with rape, murder, suicides, eye gouging, etc. I was lured into thinking I was reading a cute sentimental story about growing up.

>Punpun was actually really scum
now you finally understand.

To be honest, I think Punpun is a normal person driven crazy by his childhood circumstances and family environment.

you should try his shorter stories like what a wonderful world or solanin.

that's asano when he was still pure and not a broken edgelord.

it's more than just cute growing up manga, it's about psychological construct that involves real issues. Hope, dreams, love, despair and sorrowness. It was perfect.

>v12
Holy shit. I have the onmibus volumes (5 of them). I never realized how long Punpun was in normal volumes.

Thanks very much, will do.

Look, say you enjoy both Cheetos and ice cream. You open a bag of Cheetos and find that someone dumped a scoop of ice cream in it and it melted all over the Cheetos while mixing with Cheeto dust. You wouldn't be happy about that even though you do like ice cream, would you? That's how I felt about Punpun.

>Reading Punpun
>mfw
>meanwhile my fucking soul cries

Not that guy but
>Food analogy
Are you fucking serious?

Explain the police coming for him at the end then?
>Your imaginary friend is dead. We've got to ask you some questions.

not that guy but he's basically just saying that he didn't get what was advertised.
it read like a coming-of-age story, except as the story went on you realize that the MC was never going to mature. and he never did.

What's wrong with food analogies?