So i just watched all of Neon Genesis Evangelion (and the end of evangelion). It was pretty underwheliming...

So i just watched all of Neon Genesis Evangelion (and the end of evangelion). It was pretty underwheliming, except the neat animation.

Why is this praised so much again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SVm65tlhqw8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i just think that people read far too much into the teenage-angst and loneliness of the characters and treat it as some kind of philosophical epiphany when an anime talks about people being lonely and having issues that they want others to solve...pretty boring

i was also expecting a lot more from the whole angels/adam/eva/lilith stuff than what we got. Ayy lmaos with a christian/hebrew mythology touch aren't that deep either

unironically2deep4u

yeah, i've gotten that answer several times now...
maybe i really don't get it. The only response i have is that i really think people read too much into it and make the show seem smarter than it is.

It's shit. This is irrefutable truth.

The whole point of the story is that, even though dealing with other people is painful, you have to do it cos there's no real alternative. To tell this story, they write some very realistic characters, and make them interact in such a way that they make this point, which is very entertaining. Then on top of that, the SF story ends up being an allegory for this exact same issue, which is quite clever.

Put together, that makes for a very engaging story that loads of people really like. If you didn't really like it, don't worry about it, just watch something else. And what's more, Asuka best girl.

The difference is that you aren't a teenager and it's not your very first mecha animu outside of Voltron.

not even the author likes the fans of the show
youtube.com/watch?v=SVm65tlhqw8

3deep5you

you didnt understand it, watch it again
/thread

there's no way i'm watching all of that shit again
i might halfheatedly masturbate to r34 pics of the show tops

2deep4u?

how original

Even in an empty thread about loneliness, there is someone lurking, waiting for his chance to ctrl-v his useless crap and ask for a dollar.

Because it makes you a Real Anime Fan™

It's a bullshirt circle jerk with fakes everywhere. Beyond that it's female fans going >muh kaworu and male fans going >muh rei/asuka

I didn't really like it that much until I was having dinner after I finished it and I realized that it was too deep for me.

Shinji is still the best written anime protagonist

memes aside, I like a lot of little details

The way the action captures a sense of giganticism better than most /m/ (the collateral damage, dropping a prog knife and accidentally chopping a jet in two, etc)

Lots of subtle, smart visual characterization (like the first time we see Asuka, she's standing on a huge platform to make herself look imposing--a motif they repeat quite a bit)

I almost prefer the first half to the second half these days, even though the second half is the reason people remember it. The early episodes are so fun and comfy

>I almost prefer the first half to the second half these days, even though the second half is the reason people remember it
i agree 100%

It's 80% snorefest with Shinji whining over stupid shit, but the remaining 20% makes it worth it. A bit like the newest Godzilla. Both are good pleb tests.

I really think of the first half and the second half as different entities. Asuka coming in drastically changed the show .

Women go >muh Asuka much more. It's just that they often obfuscate it as something else.

To add onto this, the first half was much more enjoyable the second watch through because of all of the "wow I'm dumb moments". Lots of really well done foreshadowing.

Because you've failed to appreciate the amount of shows you've watched prior to watching Evangelion that were influenced to Evangelion.

It's like how John Carter of Mars and Valérian and Laureline flopped when adapted into movies because everyone had essentially already seen them.

>that were influenced to Evangelion.
*by

Those movies failed because ego is never a substitute to creativity and hard work.
Proof: ___Asuka

This, goes for a lot of things too. Gotta say though, nobody has managed to emulate that weird creepy feeling Anno's stuff has, nor his eldritch designs for stuff. At least not that I know of, if someone knows better than me, please point me towards them.

that doesn't make the show good, tough
you can appreciate the inluence of something; but it still can be a subpar piece of art

>no bro the beatles are great! You know how they created modern rock? That makes em great

word. the abstraction of the angels always creeped me out (Gunbuster's bugs have their own weird alien logic, too)

Alien 9's monster designs come close, if you haven't seen that

>Not thinking the Beatles are great, even when having everything that came after them to compare them to.

Your mother should have swallowed.

It had a Chris Carter-style myth arc that looked like it was going somewhere and had the grace to end before everybody lost faith in it.

Well if I had to limit myself to just anime and manga, Blame definitely counts.
In terms of visual design, you can't beat the classics like giger and beksinski.
Tarkovsky's solaris is up there, possibly stalker as well.
In terms of literature, childhood's end, revelation space and blindsight all have similar elements to eva, though none has all of them.
Gibson has 3 books on how to make a rei, with details.
Sound design? morricone and vangelis.
Music with a similar feel? kilimanjaro darkjazz ensemble, the club of gore.

roling stones>>>>beatles

fight me fag

so where's the token contrarian who thinks The Kinks were the best british band