Kimi no Na wa

Why was it not even in the running for the Oscars? This is going to get down in animation history as one of these "Citizen Kane" type of situations, where fifty years from now people look back and shake their heads in utter disbelief at the ignorance of the Academy.

>Why was it not even in the running for the Oscars
it didnt make it past nominations

Did you really just compare Kimi no Na wa to Citizen Kane?

Please, explain the greatness of this movie without buzzwords and broad generic terms.

Explain the greatness of any movie without buzzwords and broad generic terms.

Oscar's aren't some impartial award show, its a showcase of insider favorites. Only old people pay attention to award shows anymore.

Because it had a terrible ending. Took way too long to climax.

Because it doesn't have any brown/black people in it.

Because it doesn't have a political agenda

Asians count as people of color though

This, even shinkai agrees.
>incomplete, unbalanced. The plot is fine but the film is not at all perfect. Two years was not enough
Koe no katachi was better.

I'm not the one claiming a certain movie is incredible so I have no reason to do that.

>Koe no katachi was better.
They were both trash, do not kid yourself.

>implying anything other than annual generic disneyshit will ever get considered for best animated picture

Except citizen kane is shit.

I cringed

still
on

Thank god.
Kimi no Na wa was okay, above average, even, but the joke that it's an anime of the same quality as the greats of the medium has gone too far already.

They both were trash but koe no katachi had a better ending. Namae would have kicked Yamada's ass if they had more time to polish the ending though.

Oh yeah? What are your top three favourite movies?

The truest answer is that Funimation owns the American publishing rights instead of Disney. Only Disney owned anime will ever be up for an Oscar.

>No political agenda
>Implying it wasn't propaganda to revitalize the countryside, shinto shrines and the traditional rope and kuchikamizake market.

There is an ignorant male politician who needs to be convinced by a boy in a girl's body (read: MtF transperson) to save his people from a natural disaster (may be an allegory for climate change or some shit). Isn't that enough?

I'm pretty sure it was described by an oscar committee member as "some chinese shit no one has ever heard of". not even joking, look it up.

Lotr trilogy.

Everyone bows down to the kyoanus.

They were just trying to get tokyo otakus to go fuck some countryside qts.

Kimi no Na wa's strong suit was visuals and kind of direction Shinkai is good at. The basic plot was a collection of every modern Japanese anime cliche you could cram in. If another director had tried this it could have easily been awful. And I'm not a big Shinkai fan--I just think this movie really plays to his strengths.

I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I'm a little surprised it got as popular as it did. Kinda of made me think of Voices of a Distant Star mashed up with Summer Wars towards the end.

right? kimi no na wa is actually good, the others a flaming piece of shit.
fuck citizen kane and the stupid assholes who claim it to be one of the best.
it's a 3/10 snorefest at best that appeals to dickheads who think they're smarter than everyone else for liking or knowing of old, black and white movies.

>MtF transperson
Except it's actually real in the anime instead of just a snow flake mental disease.

>Oscars
>February 2017
>Your Name western release
>April 2017

Maybe that's why?

>too autistic to sit through and follow a well animated story
well, now i know why people like moe shit and jojo's bizzare adventure.

This is the Kimi no Na wa fanbase.
Now everything makes sense.

It had an earlier release to be eligible. Unfortunately, Funimation has no idea how to bribe committee members

why don't you explain or rather show/tell me why citizen bore is worth watching.
i'll entertain this. explain to me why that film is good.
i'm lurking.

Watching this made me realize how good Whispers of the Heart really was. And sad because that guy died before he could make more.

>Citizen Kane
Am I the only person who fucking hated that movie? I know that some movies are supposed to make you feel sad, but this was the only time that the sad felt horrible. Something felt terribly off about it.

Everyone knows all anime except for ghibli will never be taken seriously by an american audience

The Oscars have been pure shit lately, no one cares about them anymore.

It probably has the most international hype behind it for any non-Miyazaki movie ever. What more do you want?

What the hell is this from? That screencap is hilarious.

If Disney bought the rights to a different studio's work, America would take it seriously. It's nothing but marketing and bribery.

Not a single person in Hollywood gives a single fuck about a non-Ghibli anime film (and they only care about Ghibli because of the Disney connection)

Let's just hope A Silent Voice gets nominated this year. They might learn from Your Name's mistakes and just bribe a few committee members.

Because it wasn't that great

Not
this
shit
AGAIN

I fucking loved KnK, but either its fans are AIDs or falseflagging niggers know just how to trigger me

Not when it's most convenient to SJW's. Complaints about Asian privilege are things.

why do people think this was a masterpiece? okay I get that female mc is waifu material and the plot is somewhat refreshing but c'mon. the ending was so predictable and forced drama so hard that I actually wanted to stop watching it.
the ending should've been something like this:
>time skip
>female mc doesn't know her real name bc of accident
>male mc and female mc meet each other but don't recognize each other
>they start dating
>after the first kiss male mc recognizes the taste of her kiss
>it's the same taste as the self made sake of female mc at the shrine
>male mc remembers her name
>male mc: "Kimi no na wa..."
>she gets back her memories
>end
something similar to this would've been way better than this shitty ass end

this fucking kid still hasnt answered, i'm waiting.
kek.
i'm just going to assume everything i said about the film was right and he immediately sperged out.

Calm your tits autist.

Holy shit, I wonder how many of my friends I can trigger with this meme observations. This is a riot.

You're also right

Yea op the oscars are great cant wait for #AnimeSoAsain. If you unironically take the oscars seriously do yourself and others a favor and kill yourself. Also Kimi no na wa is shit that doesn't deserve anything

>why do people think this was a masterpiece?
The music, animation, and cinematography were all 10/10 even if the plot wasn't that good

>p-pls respond
I chuckled

>yep you taste like fermented spit combined with rice

It's a pretty revolutionary movie in terms of story structure and filming.
It was the movie to show the effect cinematography could have on a movie and was a major departure from other movies at the time for its non-linear narrative.
And thanks to said non-linear narrative and its flashback sequences, it was able to succeed as a character drama more than any other film before it.

It had a profound impact on film as a medium.

>lately
You mean always.

Why do you even care about the Oscars? the old farts who have to decide who wins don't even watch all the movies in the animation category, they just chose whatever their niece like

lol no it's just me confirming my obvious win.
no need to be a sperg about it, user.
still rather upset he'd shitpost and run but then again look where we are.

>the ending was so predictable
not if you watched 5cm/s

They messed around with cellphones daily, how couldn't they figure out the years were different?

you're contradicting yourself user. I think you should go to sleep.
a movie is 50% content (like plot, storyline etc.) and 50% appearance (like music, animation etc). if the appearance is 5/5 you got at least 5/10. if the content
>even if the plot wasn't that good
is below good then you get for content a 3/5 you end up with a 8/10 which is clearly not a masterpiece.

Nice percentages. Where did they come from? Your ass?

>something something hazzy memories something dream-like something...

it's a massive plot hole

>lol
No wonder you get the appeal of CK. And you ignored in case you missed it.

The amerilard date format also in use by Japan is confusing enough for that to happen.

Sorry user, no Oscars for anime unless Miyazaki-sama is attached to it

no, i only ignored you lol
i read his post and took in the information
not only did it not elaborate on why it's critically acclaimed, but it did nothing to change my opinion on the film, thus not making it worth replying to.

>What the hell is this from? That screencap is hilarious.
Needless to say you're dumb

Because Funimation sucks at promotion. That's it really. It takes more to get a nomination than doing a one week run in an LA theater. You need to actually promote the film to the people making the nominations something Funimation failed to do.

use Google u fuckin retard.

To reiterate for your benefit, it's critically acclaimed because it revolutionised story-telling in films through in terms of both cinematography and of narrative structure which is obviously a praiseworthy deed.

Are you stupid or something?

Though, I guess you'd have to be to willfully "ignore" a post and then call out the author of said post for not responding. What is that about?

Shall I call on you to explain why CItizen Kane isn't a good movie (nothing subjective like 'I have the attention span of an infant') and then ignore all of your responses and then proclaim victory?

What a fool you are.

Didn't really like the movie. I just wasn't moved by it nor did it evoke any feelings in me. Not even sympathy for both protagonists. Koe no Katachi on the other hand... That shit made me cry, which is rare for me.

The art and animation was amazingly good though. Music was questionable; OK at best.

If Charles Foster Kane died alone, how did anyone know what his last word was?

Because Funimation tried to enter it in last year's Oscar's by running it for a week in Los Angeles months before its North America release. No movie critic is going to nominate a movie they haven't seen.

>Oscar committee is a bunch of hacks who don't even watch the movies

This is a Kimi no Na wa thread, let's not talk about potential plot holes undermining a whole movie.

There's quite a simple explanation for that though. He could have just said it to someone else before he said it again in an empty room and then died.

>ignoring AOTY

Wasn't that how the wind rises was described the same year hero team 6 or whatever it was won?

this

also her hair looked way better long

Because it wasn't made by a kike.

If you compare everything to Whispers then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

But it did? You're completely fucking retarded. You clearly didn't take in any information at all. I'm 100% positive you aren't even aware that citizen kane was made back in the 40s so it was revolutionary for its time and showed what movies are capable of.

>try to insult japan
>try insult america
>just end up looking like retard
life must suck being this retarded and angry

SUBS WHEN

What was the fucking point of this movie? Was there something to learn? Something to think about? A new idea? Something different that I missed?

It was so fucking slow my god, its like they tried to take a 45 minute long episode and stretch it to a movie length. Nothing happens for like 20 minutes at a time, its just male mc crying, then female mc crying, then climing a mountain, then more crying. I understand the body swapping, I understand they are even love even though they never had a real conversation with each other, I understand the god is the one making this happen, why does it drill every piece of information into me over and fucking over again. Does it think I am so retarded I don't understand basic plot points that are told to me?

Shinkai just likes drawing backgrounds user

looks pretty

Zootopia is better. Main MC is cuter too.

>Took way too long to climax.
Fucking this.

Also the awkward music video / montage break in the middle didn't fucking work, and was a poor substitute for real character development.

>Why was it not even in the running for the Oscars?
Because it's anime.

>Koe no katachi = Citizen kane
>Kimi no na wa = Titanic
At least we can all agree with this.

They came out in theatres near me last month, are they not up online yet? I saw it twice in theatres so I never bothered checking online.

Clockwork Orange
Cool Hand Luke
Pico to Chico

i assume you're comparing it to the ship not the film right?

what is this movie even about?

long distance relationships?

But i liked the OST
The zen zen zense scene is cute

Buy an iphone.

Why is it the worst movies/shows are always the most popular? How did this movie become this huge purely off of visuals alone? Just fucking why

a chain of short stories about their distance

>file name
gave me a small chuckle