Why do people say Kyoani use filtered photos as their backgrounds...

Why do people say Kyoani use filtered photos as their backgrounds? And why does SHAFT get a pass and is even celebrated for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12888117/r
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

becahsue shaft is ART

Just goes to show you how good KyoAni's background artists are.

Basically every studio does digital backgrounds. It's not hard to tell if you're looking for it.

This is the shitpost thread.

>Kyoani's filtered backgrounds looks good
>people shit on them
>Shaft's filtered backgrounds looks bad
>people praise them

SHAFT's use of filtered photos are an artistic choice. KyoAni's is laziness.

Those two shaft photos look pretty lazy to me, and KyoAni doesn't use filtered photographs, at most it looks like matte painting.

Kyoani hardly even bothers to change its faces. laziest studio ever

Probably not the pic you want to choose if you're trying to refute that argument

this is very obviously a stylistic device

One is a joke and the other isn't a joke.

Just different styles.

A lazy stylistic device.

Shaft and Kyoani are both shit for using filters. There, I saved you the argument.

SHAFT does it ironic. They want to break the visual tension and show how lazy anime studios got today. They hold a mirror in the face of other studios like KyoAni, who do it non-ironically and get away with it just because "it looks good".

Because the Monogatari series isn't meant to have conventional direction, as seen by quotes taken directly from the LN spliced in between scene cuts etc.
Kyoani stuff is meant to be a very beautiful experience with high quality visuals, which implies studio made visuals rather than photos. I personally dont mind because it means they can increase line mileage on character models and increase number of frames for animation for some great shots, I really liked Hibike Trombone for that reason

well then why is kyoanus making shitty anime for pedophiles?

It's not. Kyoani is probably the best animation studio in Japan but the way that Shaft mix 3D with 2D is hard af to do. Stop shitposting if you don't know shit about animation.

it starts in 2005-2007
then 2009-2013 looks like its all characters from the same show

I'd say that a cg artist 3D-modelling that room and a bg artist drawing that locker bay are putting in about the same amount of work.

>Kyoani is probably the best animation studio in Japan
kek. I knew this was a troll thread but you're not even trying to hide the bait

>they both look like shit
Thanks for proving my point, retard.

This doesn't look any good or that it took plenty of time to achieve The 3D looks basic as shit and the 2D character just doesn't blend, hell it doesn't even have a shadow, if you want actual 'good' 2D / 3D blend watch something like the beauty and the beast ballroom scene or hell even Gumball

KyoAni's backgrounds have improved a lot from Hyouka.

Shaft
>interesting dialogues
>interesting characters
>interesting visuals

Kyoani
>boring dialogues
>boring characters
>beautiful visuals

Kyoani can be much better if they actually try (Haruhi, Hyouka), but most of the time they just rely on their pretty animation.

I love how the picture shows how much worse shading and coloring have gone over the years.

One picture is supposed to look comedically and uncanny, the other is supposed to look tragic. Both are visually stunning.

Haha yeah you love it, specially when the first 4 pictures and the 6th one are promotional art with more detail in the shadows, the shading doesn't look like that in their respective shows. Very funny, you love it very much.

They can't keep getting away with it.

>acts like the shading & color of every picture except Haruhi isn't accurate.

It isn't.

>Why do people say Kyoani use filtered photos as their backgrounds? And why does SHAFT get a pass and is even celebrated for it?

Because Kyoani photos backgrounds are real places because all Kyoani animes use real, existing places in japan. Meanwhile SHAFT are generic stock photos for the unnamed city of monogatari

Top looks genuinely interesting. Where did they find all those old white Nissans?

One episode of hibike S2 aired an unfinished background for a fraction of a second during the concert at the train station en episode 8 I think. From the strokes it looked like actual digital painting and not a filtered photo.

The ones on the left are pretty obviously paintings. You should've gone with the scenes in Hibike that actually look like blurry photos.

I dont understand why Sup Forums is obsessed with Shaft, you really like retarded dialogues about how amazing and "genius" always are the girls? And recycling visual in different stories is terrible, they should make "all Shaft animes are connect "

These don't look filtered
They're just photos as backgrounds
They always remind me of old video games with prerendered backgrounds

Those are from Hibike.

Sup Forums isn't obsessed with them. They're a laughing stock for the most part, but Monogatari and Madoka have a big fanbase. Sup Forums is most obsessed with kyoani and arguably trigger but I've seen plenty of trigger threads on Sup Forums so I can only assume most of the trigger fanbase on Sup Forums are crossboarders.

It's only a few people who are "obsessed" with Kyoani.

A lot of us are disappointed with them.

Yeah sure strawpoll.me/12888117/r

Most studio polls end up with Kyoani leading. Even their most boring shows have constant threads while airing, meanwhile SHAFT and trigger shows that suck like 3gatsu, Zaregoto, or Kiznaiver are usually forgotten and not talked about.

>They're laughing stock for the most part

I don't get how someone would find some of Shaft styles visually appealing especially when they go full paper-cutout-animation tier abstract. I find it disgusting.

Also, who started the meme that filtering (no matter who does it) is somehow bad?

>quality kyoanus writing

>QUALITY shaftshitter animation

>shaft getting BTFO by a studio with such hits as Chain Chronicle and Wonder Momo

Shaft needs better directors.

You are stupid. What's the animation studio got to do with writing and characters?

>kyoanilards will defend this

KyoAni shows tend to have interesting dialogues and characters too though.

What the fuck is that MGS anime?

They get to choose what they adapt. You think it's not their choice to adapt Musaigen, Amagi and Maid dragon?

>cherry picking scenes

Are you aware that certain writers and directors work for certain studios?.
The director also has a large influence on the writer for the anime, both shouldn't be ignored.

Amagi and meidoragon are good shows.

Hahahaha!

>Amagi and Maid dragon
Those were good. Can't defend PW though.

Depends on the show, 3gatsu had nice backgrounds

Kyoani is generic and boring, SHAFT is interesting and unique

>SHAFT aka the monogatari studio
>interesting
>unique

What's your point?

>SHAFT had a much longer running series than Kyoani
Kyoani BTFO

Who are "they"? The key animators? The directors? The storyboarders? The producers? When you talk about Maidragon's writing, you're either talking about cool who wrote the manga or Takemoto who supervised the anime script not all of KyoAni.

>Milking a stale series is a good thing

Shaftshitters everybody

I'm excited for Shaft now that Monogatari's mostly cleared up and Oishi is free.
Same with KyoAni if they're finishing off Free and Chunibyo. It's like a new era for both of them is coming.

they really cheaped out after the 2nd or 3rd monogatari

>haruhifags clamoring endlessly for haruhi s3

I love both studios, they both have shows I really enjoy

Pretty sure top has more shows of different genres, also that's Kubikiri Cycle, not monogatari

What ever happened with this series? Did the LNs finish?

did maid dragon even have a story or was it just episodic fan service? I never see any thread talking about any actual story. its usually just pedo bait pictures and grunting

I think every staffer has a different job, so if you're hating the writing or the directing of an anime, don't blame the animator or the character designers.

Studio wars are the console wars of Sup Forums.

>it's ok why kyoanus does it

It's just a shitty harem with a female lead, better off just reading the manga for superior fanservice.

2 of those are not recap films.

The original manga is from the same dude who made "I can't understand what my husband is saying". It's similar, it was slightly episodic with an overarching plot.

>implying that's a bad thing
I like to put it as, they all look like they're from the same universe

Go to the archives while it was airing, lots of people were discussing the characters, their fears and motivations, it was a character driven plot.

Video games are the Anime of Sup Forums

Fantasy, Action, Supernatural, Slice of Life, Drama, Comedy, Mystery

Bottom
Fantasy, Action, Supernatural, Slice of Life, Drama, Comedy, Sci-fi, Music

>Comedy on top
Monogatari is not exactly funny, unless you're talking about the failed, cringy attempts at comedy from 3gatsu to balance out the badly paced drama.

>being this literal

>one girl who loves the protagonist
>harem

Have you ever modeled everything in 3D besides a cube? I don't think so. Is easy to make assumptions instead of actually doing the thing. It's not the prettiest visuals ever but the animation of shaft, specially in those movies, show how vivid the characters are. Animation is not about "muh pretty visuals" but giving life and movement to the characters and the environment. Kyoani and Shaft do that job amazingly, they just have different methods and visual styles.

They got married? Would have preferred an episode of it though desu

Shaft(05~09)>>>KyoAni>=Shaft(10~17)

friendly reminder that KyoAni did not create these background

Yes I'm a game developer with 3D modeling and animation experience, none of the assets in that scene look particularly hard to make, the bed proportions in particular look way off and the entire shot honestly looks like it was made by an amateur. The animation in the movies was mostly mediocre with the exception of a few scenes

>Shaft
>>interesting dialogues
>>interesting characters
>>interesting visuals
No
No
And no.

This is some Toei levels of shit.

Your IQ is too low to understand SHAFT

>2016-

Cherrypicking

Are those the trash ones?