In the end, was this the only thing needed in this 21th century Dragon Ball Revival? I think so...

In the end, was this the only thing needed in this 21th century Dragon Ball Revival? I think so. This movie was a perfect Dragon Ball memorial and it should have stayed that way.

Other urls found in this thread:

kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-history-book-akira-toriyama-interview/
kanzenshuu.com/2015/12/29/dragon-ball-super-history-book-content-updates/
kanzenshuu.com/2016/05/09/future-trunks-arc-announced-dragon-ball-super/
kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-history-book-akira-toriyama-introduction/
kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-manga-vol-1-tori-toyo-interview-web-version/
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2016-10-26/dragon-ball-super-toyotarou/.107579
kanzenshuu.com/2016/09/30/dragon-ball-xenoverse-2-collectors-edition-to-include-bonus-toyotaro-manga/
kanzenshuu.com/2016/10/14/shueisha-establishes-new-dragon-ball-room-initiative-support-future-content/
kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-manga-vol-2-toyotaro-sensei-super-anatomy/
kanzenshuu.com/2016/11/30/dragon-ball-super-manga-collected-edition-vol-2-cover-art-toyotaro-comment/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Super is the only shounen since the end of Gaara saga in Naruto that doesn't want to make me kill myself while watching it. maybe its cuz i skipped the rof saga and half of the universe 6 one.

>In the end, was this the only thing needed in this 21th century Dragon Ball Revival?
How do you define a "revival"? FujiTV and Toei milking Shueisha's precious franchise with the trash anime was a horrible rendition of a "revival" after the movies.
Luckily for us the based Chosen Successor is making the manga that is saving Super.

It's because you have garbage taste

Battle of Gods clearly initiated this whole Super thing.

Either way. Dragon Ball (Z) to me was this inperfect but kind of perfect in it's own way and context kind of thing. Still read the original 42 Volumes every now and then. It really hit it's limits with Boo, which in a way had everything that entailed Dragon Ball (Action, Humor, SciFiI
I don't think it should be continued. All you should and can do are little humorous throwback episodes like "Hey Song Goku and Friends are back" and Battle of Gods.

why is super so shit

>Battle of Gods clearly initiated this whole Super thing.
I wasn't arguing what initiated Super at all.
Besides, it was actually Dragon Ball Heroes and the success of the DBH manga that sparked Toei's interest in making BoG in the first place.

not canon. i mean who the fuck cares about heroes

Toriyama clearly cared enough to make Super you fucking maggot

I was talking about Dragon Ball Heroes?

>what is reading comprehension
You implied nobody cares about Heroes. But clearly Toriyama cared enough for it to inspire him to make Super.

Is that clear enough for you, ESL-kun?

Why would a Toeicuck talking about Toeishit care about canon anyways?
Regardless the truth is DBH manga was explosively popular and Japan and that is what triggered the return of the franchise. Nothing you say about canonicity is going to change this fact ya dummy.

Where does it say that Toriyama ever cared or even knows what's going in Dragon Ball Heroes?

>Besides, it was actually Dragon Ball Heroes and the success of the DBH manga that sparked Toei's interest in making BoG in the first place.
Haha what

DBH game and manga*

Do your own research you lazy fucking faggot

do some research you retard.
it was making him millions, it has nothing to do with the story content, it's the fact that it brought back the franchise after the success of Kai.
Also, the BoG movie was already in production before Toriyama himself got involved you stupid mongoloid.

>Also, the BoG movie was already in production before Toriyama himself got involved you stupid mongoloid.
You're so full of shit I can actually smell you through my monitor

The movie was dumb, super saiyan god was dumb, the backstory about it was dumb. Holding hands for godlike power (saiyan exclusive) is super dumb.

Beerus and Whis were cool new characters though.

You're dumb

There was always dumb shit like this. The entire premise of the Cell saga was stupid.

The characters matter, and like I said, having a reunion type of situation was the whole thing about it.

>First of all, please tell us the circumstances around your first hearing about the new movie.
I think it was around 2011? It all started when I came to Tokyo, and my first editor1, Torishima-san, suddenly handed me the scenario and said, “read this!”… I guess? At that time I had no idea what it was, and when I asked Torishima-san what the scenario was for, I heard for the first time about how it was going to be made into an animated movie. (laughs)

www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/bog-official-movie-guide-akira-toriyama/

3 seconds on Google you fucking twat.

>it was making him millions, it has nothing to do with the story content,

He always had royalties for his stuff for years, and didn't do shit.

That's besides the point, the suits that milk the franchise like people at Shueisha and Toei called the shots to make the movie before Toriyama was even notified about production.

That may be. But Toriyama never did and talked about anything Heroes.

>In the end, was this the only thing needed in this 21th century Dragon Ball Revival?
No, we still needed Caulifla.

And where did anyone state otherwise?
Heroes was a massive success in Japan, a cultural phenomena that went hand in hand with DB Kai helping promote DB to a new audience. The insane popularity of the game and the revival of the franchise has nothing to do with quoting Toriyama.

But the mango is not canon, at best semi-canon. It keeps retconning itself to realign itself with the anime.

original dragonball is the better martial arts anime, Z is the better fighting shounen anime.
Super has the shit infinite filler of original dragonball, and the power boosts of Z without the good fights.

Super is the worst db series.

>PS
Does anyone still have those edits of Super that make it look like Z?
(Color/palette shift, artificial static, etc)

What the actual fuck are you talking about? If anything it's the anime always backpedalling and trying to hastily match the manga with SSG, lack of SBG and Blue all of a sudden costing more stamina like it was initially stated but magically forgotten about.

I dropped off the mango after the u6 tournament, but didn't all the talk in there about the meta of the new transformations quietly get retconned?

Viz link for the recent DBS chapter please?

The absolute madmen...
Look familiar?

Nah man. They never said Blue doesn't cost stamina in the anime. In the anime their stamina is higher, just like Goku and Vegeta are stronger than in the manga. Anime is the main product, the manga is for more promotion.

Doesn't matter what is the "main product" because the "product" was a money milking soulless cash grab.
If you're talking strictly canon then the manga is more "canon" in comparison to the anime simply because of Toriyama's involvement.
You're free to think otherwise though.

>simply because of Toriyama's involvement.
That's not how licensing works.

>If you're talking strictly canon then the manga is more "canon" in comparison to the anime simply because of Toriyama's involvement.
Excepted Toriyama is involved in both and Toyo confirmed it himself. There is nothing more canon or not. Both add things but follow the same outline.

>licensing
so you think Z/kai are canon too?
its about what is the closest to toryiamaßs vision and in this case its the manga.

toyotaro only said he supervises everything db related doesnt mean he is directly involved with most of the stuff. DBFZ just announced a trailer where he is supervising character designs doesnt mean android 21 is suddendly canon

How exactly is Toriyama involved in the anime? He just sent notes from which Toei makes a fan fiction from. Read again then fuck off.

It's Bird Studio's IP and Shueisha/JUMP is the franchise rights holder.
Toei only has exclusive rights to the "TV adaptation" of the franchise.
The manga with Toriyama and Toyotaro does not credit Toei Studios or FujiTV with their manga dealing directly with Shueisha as the publisher.
With the newu created Dragon Ball Room even the anime production is overseen by Shueisha now as they are officially the Editorial Office that deals with all things DB related including the anime.
The Anime's series directors have been canned one after another and their writers are fodder, do you really think they're something special?

So, how do Beerus downplayers take the "You saved us all" from Geene?

I've heard that Toriyama decided to get back to making Dragonball again because the live action American Dragonball movie upset him. Is that true?

Anime

kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-history-book-akira-toriyama-interview/

kanzenshuu.com/2015/12/29/dragon-ball-super-history-book-content-updates/

kanzenshuu.com/2016/05/09/future-trunks-arc-announced-dragon-ball-super/

I write an outline of the entire plot, then the script writers break it up into episodes, expanding on things, changing things around, or adding in new bits as need be.
Even I haven’t checked the final script yet.

Let’s enjoy this together (laughs)!!

kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-history-book-akira-toriyama-introduction/

I had put Dragon Ball behind me, but seeing how much that live-action film ticked me off, and how I revised that script for the anime movie and complained about the quality of the TV anime, I suppose somewhere along the line it’s become a series I like too much to ever leave alone

I am of the opinion that without formally established rules regarding canon/conflicts by the creator / primary contributing entity / owner, what is/isn't canon is region based and is heavily influenced by the most consumed form of media.

For a property like godzilla, nobody gives a fuck what anyone has to say. Movies, games, novels, etc are all equally valid and what is canon is either whatever anyone wants to be, or is influenced by the prevalence of the element combined with how recently it was established.
For example, how was godzilla made? Radiation, nukes, pollution, magic, lab experiment, etc have all been used. It doesn't matter, there are no rules.

For dragonball, because toriyama developed alzheimers at the age of 25, the rule has always been most recent thing is canon. Until the property owner explicitly states otherwise, those are the rules.

>downplayers
nigga fuck back off to kanzenshuu you powerlevelfag

Manga

kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-manga-vol-1-tori-toyo-interview-web-version/

Speaking of the manga, I want to ask you two about how you put the manga together. I hear Toriyama-sensei checks the storyboards for each chapter.
Toriyama: That’s right.

Back when Toriyama-sensei was drawing the manga, the animators would use his manga panels as reference, imitating the composition and things like that. And now it seems that the animators are likewise using Toyotaro-sensei‘s manga as reference.
Toriyama: Oh, that’s good! That should keep them on track!

So far Dragon Ball Super has followed Toriyama-sensei‘s plot, but I think it might be interesting for Toyotarō-sensei to become more involved with the story-writing process from here on out!
Toriyama:
Good idea!! I bet it’ll make it more interesting to include Toyotarō-sensei‘s original ideas.
Toyotarō:
T-That’s so much pressure… (sweat). But I think it’ll be really cool to help Dragon Ball someday reach its final chapter.
Toriyama:
Oh, that’s good! People will go “Wow, Toriyama-sensei planned it all out from the beginning!” and I’ll look really cool (laughs).
I’m really grateful to you. I never thought an artist like you would come along to draw the continuation of my story!

The rightholders of the db franchise are owned by toryiama and shueisha mostly.
its not that hard to figure out what is canon. (MANGA)

animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2016-10-26/dragon-ball-super-toyotarou/.107579

It sounds like you have a pretty close working relationship with Akira Toriyama. He gives you the outline and you make changes. What is the most interesting thing about working with him?

Every month, I'll create a storyboard for him to review, and then he'll give me input and suggest changes. When I'm working with Toriyama, there are many portions he gives me props for coming up with, but he is very particular about other things and always points them out for me to correct. And when he corrects me, I think “Wow, I guess I don't completely understand the way he looks at things,” so his corrections and feedback are incredibly accurate and helpful. It's a lot of fun to be able to get closer to his way of thinking
-Toyotaro

kanzenshuu.com/2016/09/30/dragon-ball-xenoverse-2-collectors-edition-to-include-bonus-toyotaro-manga/

“A message from Akira Toriyama”
I’ve been drawing manga less often these days, so Toyotaro has has taken up the mantle of drawing Dragon Ball. I still contribute the basic ideas, but Toyotaro’s wonderful skills allow the Dragon Ball universe to be brought back to life in the present.

Toriyama involvement is more relevant in the way of character behaviour, rather than plotholes.

Only idiots care about plot consistensies in Dragon Ball. Godzilla is actually a more serious type of thing.

kanzenshuu.com/2016/10/14/shueisha-establishes-new-dragon-ball-room-initiative-support-future-content/
Shueisha Establishes “Dragon Ball Room” to Expand and Optimize Content
Shueisha revealed that it had newly established a “Dragon Ball Room” on June 21st of this year. Its goal is to break down barriers between departments to expand and optimize the globally popular Dragon Ball franchise.
The announcement was made at Shueisha’s new publication planning presentation held in Tokyo on the 12th. Although the Dragon Ball Room falls under the umbrella of the rights division, its section chief Akio Iyoku also serves as editor-in-chief of V-Jump, where the Dragon Ball Super manga (the original story of which is overseen by Toriyama) is serialized. Iyoku says that, “in practical terms you can think of it as handling both the rights and editing. It’s a new experiment to have a department that only thinks about Dragon Ball.”
Akira Toriyama, the original author, commented that, “I was wanting to keep this old series alive and kicking even in the modern day with help from Shueisha’s excellent staff, so for me this team is dependable and a real godsend. It’d really be great if this way I won’t have to do anything!!!!”
Dragon Ball is a hit manga that ran in Weekly Shōnen Jump from 1984 to 1995; its comics have sold over 240 million copies. The story centers on Son Goku, a boy with outstanding fighting sense, his adventures to get the Dragon Balls (which grant any wish when all seven are gathered), and his stiff competition against various rivals. A TV anime began broadcasting in 1986, and its popularity has endured even beyond the end of the original manga; Dragon Ball Super is currently airing.

>Only idiots care about plot consistensies in Dragon Ball.
because they're so rare?

yes?

kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-super-manga-vol-2-toyotaro-sensei-super-anatomy/

>What’s your process working with Toriyama-sensei?!
I draw a rough draft based on Toriyama-sensei‘s original story, then I send it to my editor, who gets sensei to check it. It’s an honor to be able to give concrete form to sensei‘s ideas, but sometimes sensei will send over a part he drew himself, which sends me into an uproar, going back and forth between being all hyped up and feeling really down in the dumps.

kanzenshuu.com/2016/11/30/dragon-ball-super-manga-collected-edition-vol-2-cover-art-toyotaro-comment/

Since it’s Akira Toriyama-sensei doing the original story, the manga has a slightly different approach than the TV anime, which results in a different kind of production. I hope you all enjoy that aspect of it for volume 2!! And I hope you keep reading!!

So how about the thread's premise that BoG was just a small high-school re-union which was appreciated, rather than Super?

I am not from Kanzenshuu and this is a genuine question. Is it all you can say?

The rule is the manga continuity is more canon than the anime if you were to compare them. Nothing you babble about is going to change this.

Oh God, how many times are you going to post and repost these fucking interviews? No one cares. There is no one true canon. The anime and manga are both canon to themselves. There are those who prefer the anime and those who prefer the manga.

Yeah but idiots like to compare the two, and if you do compare them there's clearly a distinction.

>the manga continuity is more canon than the anime if you were to compare them.
The simple fact that you use words like "more canon" shows how retarded you are.

only DB and dbz are canon, the rest is just fillers and alternate timelines

Yes the source is posted right here

"I write an outline of the entire plot, then the script writers break it up into episodes, expanding on things, changing things around, or adding in new bits as need be.
Even I haven’t checked the final script yet.

Let’s enjoy this together (laughs)!!"

Yep definitely more canon.

>DB
>the rest is just fillers
... But dargonball is all filler other than about 12 episodes.

??
What 12 episodes?

first episode, mini kameha, roshi milk/ big rock, tournament 1 gokoa v krurur, get a drink you thirsty faggot, 'go self-study faggot', kurururu dies, pickadilly on a throne, pickadilly get fisted, last two episodes of the last tournament.

everything else is slice of life or filler trash.

Still only watched the movies. I liked BoG and RF was okay. Should I watch Super?

it's so dumb it's equal to pokemon

it's all canon my friend - mostly in the manga so don't talk trash

>implying being in the manga means it isn't filler
not how it works bucko.

haha what a trash of nonsense

Money inspired him.
Super and Heroes are fucking cashgrabs.

"lameo, let's go to the beach XD" is filler even if it is in the manga. The only scenario where that isn't filler is when it's a slice of life anime.

I'm pretty sure they had to beg Toriyama for many years to return to Dragon Ball.

yeah, in your dreams

That's would be true if beerus didn't mention about the 12 universes.

I saw it as a Goku will never be the strongest and he will forever train kind of thing.
It was an open ending like in Z

Nice fake link.

The manga is literally just a promotional manga for the anime from V-Jump though

You know, the magazine that houses Toyo's other fan fiction: The DB Heroes manga

Not to mention that it was announced AFTER the anime. Or that it isn't even a complete work (it skipped the 2nd arc).

Too bad the manga is a fast-paced, non-canon, cliffnotes version of the anime.

With some different perspectives that make it shitty (example: manga's Trunks arc)

Battle of Gods was only good by comparison to the rest of the anime. It still had that stupid as hell handholding-to-surpass-Vegetto plot device.

Agreed 100%. This was a fun, light-hearted return to a complete series. It wasn't even good, but at least it didn't want me to take it seriously. Dropped Super during Goku Black, its so damn embarrassing to watch. How do you Superfags do it?

I accept your concession

Still more canon than the trash Filipino Sunday morning cartoon.

Its a decent "turn your mind off and enjoy faggots hitting eachother" with actually some pretty decent characters. The problem is powerlvels went straight up retarded tier during the buu saga and they stay the same way now. I don't care if SSB goku is three billions or two so it doesn't bother me

>The problem is powerlvels went straight up retarded tier during the buu saga and they stay the same way now.

When they use human characters and weaker characters in character interactions to make a contrast, it can make for pretty good humor.

Agreed, just recently Punished Roshi having to deal with guys who could probably kill him with one finger was fucking awesome and one of the highlights of DB for me, maybe its because i like Roshi and hated what they did to him in Z

no, fuck off.

>literal toeishill

very costructive

the manga is steamlined version of the anime, and tries to fix some of the major scenes and goku's anime characterization

if the manga had more content i'd say its better than the anime, but its just tries to go through the anime story too fast

It doesn't even reference the anime, he stays strictly close to the source Plot Outlines handed to him by Toriyama.
It does however suffer from poor pacing but that comes from being a monthly which can't milk the traditional weekly cliffhangers.
The anime on the other hand suffered from the opposite effect of having too much padding and back and forth "time waster" "filler" moments not present in the outline.