How do you feel about time travel as a plot device?

How do you feel about time travel as a plot device?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JLMrOR1OuXg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fuck i have to finish watching this. it better get even sexier

It's only done well once in a blue moon and I'd rather not see it done.

Can't remember the name but that manga about the roman bath house architect that gets his ideas from stumbling into modern japan was pretty good.

Simply the best

Thermae Roma or something similar. I only saw the anime short.

it's apart of my favorite anime.

The only good time travel series is this one American movie

You really have to do it so that there are no actual closed causal loops or closed timelike curves or whatever you want to call them, or else your plot automatically starts to not make sense due to the laws of physics and logic themselves

I think Madoka got this right but it depends on where they go with it I guess

Oops forgot my pic

>this one American movie

Please don't be talking about Primer

Damnit.

What else, buddy?

YOU CANT HAVE CLOSED TIMELIKE CURVES

ITS LITERALLY THE LAW

Sure you can. cf. Predestination.

>gives prop to madoka
>no props to steins;gate

I really enjoy the idea of going back in time and using your knowledge to win at life, however from what I've seen no anime and manga actually do this!

what's wrong with primer

That's not a closed timelike curve

For that to be the case an actual future event would have to literally cause a past event

Prophetic dreams could work but prophetic dreams are a present time or past event, not a future event, plus they're usually wrong

You're genre a shit

>Predestination
>being trans going back in time having sex with yourself and giving birth to yourself
what a shit movie i hate transsexuals

not smart enough to understand it; too depressing to watch again

It's a shit genre because no one does it right.

Keep in mind though that when Jesus did this the God of Israel did actually fuck his mother in a dream

What an appalling indiscretion desu

It's a giant clusterfuck. There's like 9 timelines. But it's a good movie.

I've honestly never seen it done in anime/manga. not in any significant manner. Unless you count side-characters like in Haruhi.

Like actual sci-fi, it's a rare thing.

I think only an atheist could believe in time travel

I have a theory - when you become an atheist, you start believing in stupid shit like closed causal loops and they become real for you, so you (temporarily) gain the pretend ability to travel through time

shut up dummy, atheists believe in science, time travel is fantasy

God that was the shittiest possible ending Uran could have possibly written. Even an open ending in the same time steam would have been better than this.

It was really cool how Negima handled it in the festival with everything being concurrent, but it's a mess now with the timelines in UQ. Also the time stop fighting was great.

Fantasy you say? I disagree

If the time travel keeps its consistency regardless of an explanation then it's magnificent, also is a good plot device as long the whole plot doesn't depend on it and is just an important part of the whole picture, if you want to put in a way, the time travel must be the frame where you put the painting, not be part of the painting.

I think next time if you don't want some yellow haired girls to chronically die in industrial accidents, you should consider recruiting Stephen Hawking to investigate this phenomenon

Steins;Gate
Madoka
Re:Zero
Mirai Nikki

all are super popular and have it. How can you not have seen any of those

Is that the one where the girls from the future try to help their mom win?

I liked Boku Dake and Psyren. It can be a fun tool to show battles against destiny and character growth/change.

Qualia had some good craziness as well.

What sort of plot device time travel are we talking?

We have the convenient time travel to undo fuckups or deaths. We have the one off event time travel to set up a story like you see in Again!. We have the Steins Gate sort of time travel where it just fucks up everything. We have characters stuck in time loops but no time travel outside of that. We even have stuff like in Heroic Age where time travel was only used to show how fucking strong the protagonist was in that even with it he couldn't be beat. I'm probably forgetting some types but you get the point, "time travel" is too broad.

man that one just said fuck the rails and started flying really fast.

Oh yeah, can't forget Qualia time travel where infinitely many individuals live through infinitely many timelines in collaboration with one another to try and find the ideal result.

Yeah. After one of the girls disappears because he lets her future mom leave without fucking her, he decides to man up and fuck all their moms. Truly the hero they needed.

I remember Yudkowsky mentioning this manga on LessWrong as he was going Hollywood

;_;_;_;

If used properly, its good. Let's Lagoon & Threads of Time are two great examples.

>I have to win and fuck a harem to save my future daughterus
Ingenious.

Yes, but they all end up winning, including his daughters.

I love time travel media. It's amazing when done well.

Only good for goofy fun. Taking time travel plots seriously is just dumb.
Most people know very little that they could make much use of in the past and would struggle just to survive, never mind convince anyone they weren't mental.

Next Saturday night, we're sending you back to the future!

Rare is the story that utilizes time travel well.

youtube.com/watch?v=JLMrOR1OuXg

What year is this?