Kimi no na wa

I'm a little late to the party, but did anyone else cry? Because I cried.

Other urls found in this thread:

madshi.net/madVR.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I only cried when she read her hand.

I came close to crying multiple times, but the first time I actually shed tears was when they reunited.

OP here, I enjoyed Haruhi as well.

No

what if both aren't remotely good

I got a little bored near the end.

Yep. Not ashamed to admit it.

I did, but I was high on 2C-B.

it was a good end, why cry?

I cringed. Because it was the same shit as 5cm but only with a happy end.

>Taki's vision of Mitsuha's life and death
>kataware-doki
>Mitsuha realizing what was written on her hand
>reunion on the staircase

all of these made me cry

no

yes

No by the time the ebin "feelz" parts came in I was already half a sleep and just wanted the fucking thing to end already. Jesus christ the middle section of this movie was a grind to get through. For a solid 1 hour literally nothing happens besides:
>male mc "lol we have never had an actual conversation but i love you now for no reason"
>female mc "me2 lol"
Literally some of the worst pacing I've seen in a long time. I won't even complain about the shitty plotholes that plague this movie because I assume everyone already knows. Trash movie for lowest common denominator faggots

That only shows you've never watched places we promised by shinkai, because it's way more similar to that one.

I really loved the film ever since I saw it last April, even to the point where it motivated me to be more social and explore beyond my comfort zone. I can't say I enjoy people constantly comparing it with other movies of 2016/2017 and having a bickering contest on which one is better than the other. The films all served different results and messages, and Your Name just hits me more personally. I do hope for the best for the next Shinkai film, since it really seems like his perspective in theatrics and life are more uplifting and less depressing than his past films.

Just the idea that you think they couldn't have fallen in love with each other because they haven't spoken face to face, as though that's somehow more connecting than living in the other person's body tells me that this opinion is by someone who can't even use his brain and just wants to be contrarian

Nope. I've watched > 1000 anime and this anime is merely an above average anime with good animation/art.

They haven't even spoken voice to voice yet, nevermind face to face

You can cry from happiness too, user.

Great movie, but Koe no Katachi is way more better, if Koe no Katachi was actually adapted better from manga it would've been way more better though

hadn't*

>5 centimeters per second
a guy is not able to see his girlfriend much anymore due to them moving away from each other. The guy spends like 15 years moping about it and writing her texts but never sending them instead of seeking her out despite knowing her name and personal details
>kimi no na wa
a boy and a girl with a cosmic connection, that have never met or spoken to each other, learn about each others' lives through switching bodies in their sleep, and engineer clever ways to communicate with each other through the dreamlike and hazy state that they're in, after a while the switching stops and Taki seeks out Mitsuha's town based purely on drawings from his own memory and actually manages to find it, only to see it's been completely destroyed, he then comes up with a plan to to change the course of history and save Mitsuha's town and Mitsuha from being killed, a task which he and Mitsuha complete after meeting briefly for the first time through some kind of cosmic rift, however afterwards they lose their memories of each other but their connection still lingers, sending them in to an intense loneliness and longing for each other which drives them to constantly search for each other for eight years when they may or may not find each other

yet 5 centimeters seems to be generally considered better

I've only watched the movie, should I read the manga?

I definitely don't understand how 5cm can be considered better. I think Your Name is much better, granted it's been a few years since I've watched 5cm.

I came close to tearing up

Yeah I did. A friend and me went in dry expecting some romcom shenanigans, and while I know of his earlier works, what I've read on the trailer summary back then made me think it wouldn't be so heavy as the earlier ones. Well, it kinda was lighter in thematical tone, but once taku started his journey, both my friend and I were pretty much engaged in the story. Can't wait to see his next work.

At what scene do people cry at?

There wasnt a really sad moment.

Its not like nagisa dying.

>dude I want to be a tokyo (boy)
why?
>dude this one poor bastard was picked to be the body swappie
why?
>dude I'm going to act extra girly and weird as fuck with your friends and coworkers
why?
>dude lets not call each other and instead leave marks on our faces
why?
>dude we are in love even though our only communication has been through leaving phone messages or marks on our faces
why?
>dude our family has a history of body swapping but we never told you, unlike all the other legends and history we told you
why?
>dude I can find the location of this town based off the mountains in a picture i drew of a view I only went to once
why?
>dude i convinced my father to evacuate off screen even though he was very clear he thought I was insane
why?

Just off the top of my head.

5cm this kimi no na wa that it doesn't matter because Koe no Katachi was better than both of them

>>dude I want to be a tokyo (boy)
>why?
Living in the sticks sucks.

Why a boy? Also living in the sticks 100% doesn't suck

I'm surprised people say 5 cm/s it's better, while the first part it's amazing everything after excluding the final scene is boring, especially the second part.

It 100% does
Their fucking cafe is a vending machine and bench.

Why did she want to be a boy. Also user who gives a fuck about a fucking C A F E

OP are you still here? It's never too late. Time for you to watch all Shinkai Makoto's works. You won't regret it.

Garden of words is still his best film, Your Name was good but no scene came close to the finale of Garden.

Me

>Garden of words is still his best film

>>dude I want to be a tokyo (boy)
>why?
it seems to be a great desire of almost all country girls to go live in the city, it's called centralization, it's a very big socio-economic issue in almost every developed country
also penis envy
>>dude this one poor bastard was picked to be the body swappie
>why?
they're soulmates
>>dude I'm going to act extra girly and weird as fuck with your friends and coworkers
>why?
she is a girl
also there are no immediate consequences to her own person for her actions so she's free to act as she wants, Taki also does this
>>dude lets not call each other and instead leave marks on our faces
>why?
in Japan it is considered very rude to call a person who has not given you their bango-han
>>dude we are in love even though our only communication has been through leaving phone messages or marks on our faces
>why?
because they are soulmates, and any two people who share that kind of intense and unusual connection will eventually form some kind of deeper relationship
>>dude our family has a history of body swapping but we never told you, unlike all the other legends and history we told you
>why?
it's not really an easy subject to bring up, and if you tell anybody who isn't going through the same they will not believe you
>>dude I can find the location of this town based off the mountains in a picture i drew of a view I only went to once
>why?
Taki is smart, also there is definitely some sort of divine intervention in this story helping them save the town
>>dude i convinced my father to evacuate off screen even though he was very clear he thought I was insane
>why?
I don't recall this happening at all, a lot of people didn't evacuate and died despite Mitsuha's efforts even though a lot were saved, I might be mistaken though, but I definitely don't remember her dad helping

again, it is very clearly Kami-sama's plan that these two save the town, and god works in mysterious ways, quit applying your inferior human intellect to god

What is there to cry at in that horrid melodrama?
You all must be women or just very weak men.

FINDS A WAY

I am; the only ones I've seen are this and 5cm/s.

>penis envy
>they're soulmates
ebin, if thats the explanation then the movie is outright shit.
>she's free to act as she wants
Except he is also living in her body so she actually does have consequences. Any normal human being would realize that damaging or changing someone else social status in a situation where the other can do the same is retarded.
>Taki also does this
No he didn't, he didn't go and set up dates for her or specifically act 100% like a man in the same manner that she did.
>considered very rude
Ya im sure they are thinking of manners when super natural shit is going on like body swapping.
>because they are soulmates
Just lmao
>an easy subject to bring up
Oh but speaking for hours about other family legends/history and teaching your kids to be shrine maidens is?
>some sort of divine intervention
Yea it was the god of plot convenience
>don't recall this happening at all
Then go rewatch it

>they are soulmates
So the is the logical reasoning of a kimi no na wa fan. All those 10/10 scores on mal now make sense.

mah nigga

so this is*

>months after widely acclaimed and popular work comes out
>contrarian faggots start crawling out of the woodwork with 0 substantial evidence or arguments that cannot be easily disputed by evidence or basic common sense/comprehension ability
like clockwork, Sup Forums

Sorry I don't cry to completely shallow drama.

It was discussable back when it was only a few of us who saw it in theatres and anyone who didn't watch it was outed immediately so no one paid them any mind.

>1897x1056
wat

Didn't cry but got very teary-eyed a few times.
It was a good movie the first time I watched it.

Unlike Your Name, Garden of Words is actually just a pretty but empty film

>cry
>with this story that barely holds itself together
Go watch more anime dude.

>empty
That movie has more meaning than all this dude's movies together. There, the drama is really tangible.

>b-but contrarians
I guess pointing out obvious plot holes or ass pulls is now being a contrarian

it has a cute sensei and feet,
it's automatically better.

My MPC doesn't capture subtitles, so I have to manually make screenshots using snipping tool.

This. Those were some extremely comfy threads where anons opened up about how they feel and what they actually liked about the film instead of just Frodo-ing at anything that seems like a flaw just to hate on the whole work. We actually had to remember and piece out the small details through rewatches, while everyone now can just take it for granted. I'm not saying those past threads are an accurate representation of the audience's expression towards the viewing experience, but there was just a calm, eased-down atmosphere that made discussion productive and interesting instead of just the same dull shit posted every thread lately.

hardly, all it did was try to replace actual characterization with artsy montages

>which cannot be easily disputed with common sense or comprehension ability
its like you can't read. but seeing as you refer back to meaningless plotholes in a piece of fiction just shows that you're a literal sperg who has 0 understanding of actual literature.

It's definitely Shinkai's best movie but it still has issues...
Wasn't anyone bothered by the opening song that spoils the whole movie ?

Also it has pacing problems, just when you get attached to the characters it goes full forced love story. I wish the movie showed them making the rules and boundaries of body switching more, instead of just a quick montage of it.

>remember and piece out the small details
You actually had to sit down and piece out them simply not fucking calling each other? Or how they fell in love with each other without a single proper conversation?

mine did this when I was trying a newer version of KCP but it was fine when I switched back to the normal version

Update your madVR. The latest caps subs with xysubfilter.
madshi.net/madVR.zip

>Guy only has to write his name on her hand
>Writes "i love you" instead
>YouHadOnlyOneJob.jpg
>they forget each other for years
>"oh shit was that person on the train right there someone i think i remember? LET'S SKIP WORK AND ALL FOR HER"

I seriously hated that, kinda ruined the whole thing for me.

Discussion was good back when it first came out and right after the Japanese BD release, but now you can't have a YN thread without it being overrun by the same kind of contrarian faggots that made having good conversation on Sup Forums impossible.

>YOU MUST LIKE THINGS I ALSO LIKE OR YOU'RE A CONTRARIAN

t. Shittastefags

>its ok to have plotholes if its kimi no na wa
Wew lad, truly having a plot that makes sense is literally worthless! Now I understand everything

its magic bro, we aint gotta explain shit
in all seriousness its a literary device. think of all the times you had a memory on the tip of your tongue but no matter how hard you tried you could never remember it. now imagine if this memory happened to include you autistically trying to find a girl you once lived through in your dreams, and it bears a lot more weight
tldr: it meant a lot more to taki and mitsuha than it seems to you (no offense).

No, we just tried to look for subtle details that reflect on the whole theme, like the pink crying hedgehog in all of Mitsuha's accessories that symbolized Hedgehog's Dilemma, and Taki's consistent spikey hair. There was one user who made a time chart of the events that occurred throughout the film in chronological order with dates and time specified.
Granted, all of this was already figured out by the Japanese who watched the movie since last year August, but figuring it out by ourselves was pretty fun and refreshing.

I'd prefer to reinstall everything fresh; do you happen to have a guide on installation and customization (madVR, xyfilters, etc)?

i get it.
Still the hand part was retarded, fuck that scene.

>A pink hedgehog in a top hat and cane is now a reference to the Hedgehog's Dilemma
>When the movie literally does not touch on the subject of the Hedgehog's Dilemma even once
At this point kimi no na wa fans have me speechless

are the other Shinkai movies any good?
I've already seen 5 cm/s, garden of words and three of the shorts, and they were all good, but they all looked good as well
the rest of his films don't look nearly as appealing

I'm beginning to fucking believe this is the literal first piece of literature you've ever consumed in your hopeless life.
>like things i also like
First of all, there's a difference between 'I don't like thing because it's not to my taste' and your example of 'I autistically pick through every and each detail in a fucking movie length piece of work, whose medium does not allow me the time to explain literally every single fucking consistency'. Do you also feel the same fucking way whenever you read literally any other fictional piece? Does the fact that no author has the ability to create a 100% consistent and realistic micro-universe in which their story is placed? The answer is you fucking don't. You didn't like Kimi no Na Wa and instead of accepting that it's just not to your taste you have to act like some fucking pretentious faggot who thinks his taste is the end all be all opinion on the quality of a piece. Fucking end yourself.

Does the fact... is placed bother you**

Don't bother lad, its like trying to argue with monogatari fans. They read so deeply into things that seeing a tree is enough to make them think their show/movie is now referencing nature vs nurture.

>what is a motif
I learnt this shit in fucking year 12 English class you fucking dolts, or did you not finish high school?

Do you even know what Hedgehog's Dilemma is? You can act all high-and-mighty without evidence if you want, but there is no way you or anyone cannot see how it applies to the relationship between the two characters.

>it HAS to tell you what the symbolism means
that defeats its own purpose. kill yourself moefag.

>>an easy subject to bring up
>Oh but speaking for hours about other family legends/history and teaching your kids to be shrine maidens is?
not him but
talking about legends, tales and theology passed down through your family and culture =/= "I literally freaky friday'd with some guy when I was your age"

thanks for proving my point

please stop arguing

>autistically pick through every and each detail
>dude lets not call each other
>dude we are in love with no actual conversation
Dam you've found me out, I spent literal months picking through the movie to find out those.

Should just be:
-Install MPC-HC
-Install xysubfilter
-Install madVR
Set MPC-HC to use xysubfilter and madVR
-Set madVR to Spline for both chroma and luma upscaling (highest quality for lowest resources), or Jinc for a small upgrade, or fool around with NNEDI/superXBR/NGU for high end machines.
-Set LAV Splitter subtitle selection mode to Advanced, and set Audio to jpn and subtitles to eng:eng|f eng:off *:eng|d *:eng *:*|d

Yes its about hedgehogs hurting each other as they get closer, signifying that humans hurt each other more the closer we are. Its very basic stuff. Kimi no na wa does not touch on this subject what so ever

Saying your family has body swapped with people literally IS a legend/culture.

Shounen story: "I'm the chosen one for no reason"
>WOW SUCH SHIT PLOT

Romance story: "We are in love for no reason"
>WOW SUCH GREAT PLOT

>lets ruin this little dynamic we have of leaving notes for each other to just call each other
>i cannot be attracted to this dude whose life i have literally lived
you have 0 empathy you fucking brainless faggot

t. faggot who has LITERALLY NEVER BEEN IN LOVE
this shit writes itself.

>only argument is "fuck you faggot you have no empathy"

It doesn't outright tell, but it clearly shows that happening to the characters. The days where they stayed apart with the bodyswapping had little conflict, but when they tried to get closer to each other (both physically and figuratively), they end up losing memories and end up not knowing what they were doing or why anymore. The movie doesn't just follow every definition and concept by the book, it conveys its own ideas that are bound to be interpreted differently.

>very basic stuff
t. retard produced by american education

>ignoring the argument
its ok manchild. you can continue your sad pathetic life fishing for (you)s on Sup Forums

Have you guys literally never seen or heard of a Red-String-of-Fate story before? If you don't like the romance for what it is, that's absolutely fine, but don't hate on it for not being what it wasn't intended to be at all in the first place.

>they end up losing memories
This happened regardless of them trying to get closer to each other, Taki couldnt even remember who it was that gave him the wristband thing and that was before the body swapping even took place. Regardless of that, losing memories of each other is not hurting each other, if anything it is a nice way of leaving someone. If they had be hurt emotionally/psychologically afterwards then yes you could put up an argument that maybe it was about the hedgehogs dilemma.

The actual act of being closer to each other had no real consequence besides them forgetting about each other, which at the end of the movie ends up being a null point.

>t. bait

>I am the chosen one faggots. why? because fuck you its fate.
>shit tier

>we are the soulmates faggots. why? because fuck you its fate.
>god tier